Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Popadopolis
Oct 9, 2007
Not my real name
Now this is a thread I can get behind. I'd like to put forward Sparkfun Electronics (https://www.sparkfun.com) as another awesome source for electrical stuff. Pre-designed and printed boards for lots of cool things (GPS modules, Accelerometers, Cellphones, LCDs, touch-pads etc etc). They also have a nice tutorial for getting you started with programming micro-controllers (even has a $30 kit you buy to go along with it that includes everything they talk about in the tutorial).

As far as simple but fun poo poo to build that doesn't require much knowledge, make a simple coilgun from a disposable camera (google can find a guide for you Im sure). With an hour or so of work you could probably start shooting small nails at your cat and at the same time learn the basics of resistance/capacitance voltage/current etc. What a deal! That's how I started atleast... now I have a 4 stage 2.5 kilo-joule coilgun in my basement that can put 3" pieces of steel rod into a phone-book...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU