Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skycks
Jan 6, 2008
It seems like you are planning on running through the basics of a standard circuits 101 course from most universities. While informative, you might be going a little overboard for a single thread. If there isn't already a resource out there on the interweb that you like for this purpose, it might be better to host a tutorial somewhere and link it here, and keep the thread for questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skycks
Jan 6, 2008
Would something like this be a wise investment for a starter bench power supply?

Skycks
Jan 6, 2008
No Jailbrekr, these make you a great person.

poo poo, we could have a mspaint your favorite electronics principles thread in GBS and not get stuff as good as this.

Skycks
Jan 6, 2008

ValhallaSmith posted:

I have it as well and it is a great book. Probably enough to get a taste since some of the standard devices are still the same. But the book is from 1989 so be prepared to have to modify what they tell you. I wish those fuckers would hurry up with 3rd ED.

Wikipedia says January 2008 :colbert:

Skycks
Jan 6, 2008

clredwolf posted:

Now if we turn on both sprinklers, we have two devices buying for 2 amps of current. Since both devices are equal, both devices get half of the faucet's current. So:

This preserves KCL, so that:

I_faucet + I_sprinkler_top + I_sprinkler_bottom = 2 amps - 1 amp - 1 amp = 0 amps.

Shouldn't that bottom switch be closed?

Skycks
Jan 6, 2008
MIT has their first circuits course on their opencourseware website. It has video lectures and such, so if you think you have the necessary mathematical and physics background it might be a way of getting started without actually going to college.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/6-002Spring-2007/CourseHome/index.htm

Skycks
Jan 6, 2008

Nerobro posted:

It works great. Taht's how I've made most of my PCBs.

As for the power supply thing, would you pay $7 for one? I was just pricing out the parts on digikey, and I could reasonably sell "kits" for about that.

I'd probably buy one, what kind of specs are we talking?

Skycks
Jan 6, 2008

Hillridge posted:

I thought of a good project, though it's legality is dubious.

Every FM transmitter (for ipods, etc.) on the market sucks. My theory as to why, is that FCC laws limit the transmit power to something so low a sneeze will cause static.

How about we crack open one of these guys and see about boosting the signal power? I think I may have a few at home I bought off Woot.

I think this can easily be done by simply adding a tuned antenna, or via the more involved route of actually building an amplifier.

I've often pondered this as well, and would be interested to hear some more experienced people's takes on this, since I know next to nothing about radio transmission.

Skycks
Jan 6, 2008

clredwolf posted:

Bonus point for anyone who puts a 1/4-length antennna on their car and drives around with that 40 watt transmitter. Bonus, bonus points if you catch the attention of the FCC!

Not that I would try this, but can they easily figure out that you are the one transmitting?

Skycks
Jan 6, 2008
Just think of it as a complex resistance. Mathematically, that's all it is. Resistance that varies with frequency.

Skycks
Jan 6, 2008
Haven't been able to get it to load all night. They must have gotten exposure somewhere :(

Skycks
Jan 6, 2008
I suppose that's what happens when you announce you're giving away 100,000 in product :-P

They must be pretty profitable to be able to give away that much poo poo.

Skycks
Jan 6, 2008
Normally I'm all for sharing good deals, but seriously, I'm kind of pissed about this one. These are pretty niche products and we all got screwed because a bunch of people who probably will never know/need to know how to program an Arduino or solder a resistor brought these guys to their knees.

Skycks
Jan 6, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

Also, any other goons feel like making an SFE wanna-be company with me? Good god their profit margins must be enormous.

Let's do it. Except I already live like 20 minutes from their HQ :) But hey, a company started by a Mines student will own a company started by CU students any day so let's do this thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skycks
Jan 6, 2008
We could call it Awful Electronics :cheers: