Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CGameProgrammer
Nov 5, 2008
Can someone tell me how to splice together speaker wire? I have headphones and attempted to shorten the wire for them but I can't figure out how to reconnect the two wire ends after cutting out a section in-between. When I strip the insulation, I get what appear to the naked eye to be one copper wire and one green-insulated wire, but macro mode with my camera reveals they're both woven metal wires with something else inside... this whole thing connects to my ipod via a simple 2.5mm jack so it can't be complicated. But no matter what I do, I can't get any sound to come out of my headphones.

Here's a close-up photo (my host). It's hard to see, the flash makes things bright, but basically there appears to be really tiny light-gray strands inside the woven copper and green wires. Don't know if the gray stuff is uncolored wire or if it's just fabric for strength. Also don't know how the copper and green wires stay insulated from each other, they appear to be right next to each other in the black insulation.

What do I do?

EDIT: Nevermind. A google search with a different search term turned up this SA post on the same subject. Apparently they're ordinary wires with a plastic coating to prevent them for shorting against each other, and I guess I'll just have to go ahead and solder them together and then try it again.

EDIT AGAIN: It worked! Yay. Heating the wires with a 40W soldering iron in an attempt to burn off the coating, then twisting them together, actually did not work, but when I then soldered that twisted connection, it suddenly worked.

CGameProgrammer fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU