Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Mill Town posted:

My advice would be to put the dimmer knob in the body of the heat gun, attached directly to the heating element. Then hook the power cord up to the element/dimmer combo in parallel with the fan. Get rid of the existing circuit board entirely.

Edit: Although, since it's drawing 1500W max, you should get a bigger dimmer.

And put the new, bigger dimmer in the line side, not neutral. When your 600W burns out, your board and whatnot will be energized while you're attempting to figure out what went wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I've got a decently interesting request from the guy I'm consulting for. He wants to make a low power logging anemometer that can measure the flow rate of air at various points in an industrial building.

There's a guy balancing all the ducts in the HVAC system right now. The device he uses is a differential pressure system with temp and humidity sensor. There's a perforated tube that goes in the duct and another that's outside the duct. It calculates flow rate from air mass (based on humidity and temperature) and duct area.

For places that don't have a duct (like the gym) the device sits in a collapsable nylon duct thing. This is the one he's got. (Click on "products").

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

scuz posted:

Soldering iron/station question:

Which irons/stations do you folks use? I've started to get into joystick building which requires quite a bit of soldering to PCBs and I can't find any new tips for the econo-iron that I got. I was thinking of getting a WLC100 or WES51, but I wanna ask you guys that know more about this stuff before I make any more purchases :3:

I have a metcal that's completely tits. It will solder large bulk metal structures, and with a 3-second tip swap will go straight into soldering very fine SMDs.

I kinda wish I'd been able to get the two-tip model, since the second tip controller will work a solder sucker, but such is life.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Slung Blade posted:

Yep, exactly.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to find a gearing system to translate the 90' into the 270' that most pots offer.

Old joysticks are either 0-5k or 0-15k; My throttle is a 0-5k 90 degree pot.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Why not a circuit that switches on an FM transmitter and signals the receiving computer to switch to the correct frequency? Do as much of the audio in analog as possible and just use the controllers for advanced following and multiplexing.

I don't know what the FCC has to say about unlicensed FM transmitters, though.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Shazzner posted:

Hey I've got a question for you guys, I've got some solar panels that are supposed to be used for a car battery, 12V.

Now what I'd like to do it attach them to my electric bike. The power adapter for it says it outputs +24Vs whatever that means.

Could I just hook them up to my battery? Or would there be a problem with the voltage difference?

I was thinking about getting another pair of solar panels and hooking them up in series or am I totally misunderstanding how this all works?

There would be a problem. Your battery is probably 24V.

Two panels in series would probably work OK.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

jovial_cynic posted:

edit: aha. After a more careful look at ohm's law, I believe that because I have a constant 12-14 volts, and a known resistance range (22 to 88 ohms) on the fuel sending unit, what my bar-graph LED gauge should be reading is the current, which is a bit easier to figure out. Hooray for hours of researching instead of simply waiting for somebody to tell me the answer.

You can also wire a close-tolerance sense resistor in series with your tank sensor and measure voltage across that.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

You need some diodes. When your motor stops or switches direction, it becomes a generator which is backfeeding your network.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I do not, however, have a frequency counter. I do have a very nice, recently cleaned up and refurbished oscilloscope (it's a vintage Heathkit with a ton of nifty features), and a good digital multimeter (Fluke, unfortunately it doesn't have frequency measurement).

Is there some way I could improvise frequency measurement with the tools I have, or should I be looking for a cheap, used frequency counter?

There's a grid, right? Time on one axis, voltage on another? Count the peaks on the grid, divide. Frequency.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

thepedestrian posted:

So I know very little about electronics, but I'd like to build a proofing box for rising bread. Just an enclosed box with a heat source (I'd use a heat lamp probably) that maintains the temperature it's set at. It's been hard keeping my house warm enough to rise bread in any reasonable amount of time.

I'm hoping there is a basic way to do the temperature control that doesn't require an Arduino or something expensive. How could I go about doing this?

My brother just put a low-wattage incandescent bulb in the box. 40W, I think for a U-Haul "Medium Box."

Failing that, you can get a Thermostat.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PilotEvan posted:

Well I went out and got an AC/DC converter, and although I couldn't just find a straight up 9V one I was able to find a bunch of "universal" ones with variable voltage. This obviously makes the whole thing a whole lot easier since I can set the voltage to an even number, set the number of LEDs in series to Vsource/2 LEDs, and not even worry about resistors at all.

I decided to set it to 6V and put 3 red LEDs (with 2.0 forward voltage each) in series and, as expected, that worked. I put 3 green LEDs (with 2.1 forward voltage each) which surprisingly worked too. According the formula you used (and I later found here but thanks though) it shouldn't have worked because the LED voltage drop would be 6.3V versus the 6V from the source, right? I guess it's not as sensitive as I thought it would be? Or is there something I don't know about?

You got lucky and your universal voltage thingy sucks. Without resistors and a good power supply, you would have burned out your LEDs. Always include resistors in case something isn't exactly 100% to spec so you can't get massive overcurrent in a leg and burn something out.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

So I got this electric scooter that uses (apparently) a Hall Effect throttle. It's all kinds of messed up from a previous owner.

After lightly disassembling it into the shattered bits inside the shell that the last guy left it at, I see what appears to be a metal ring with a transistor mounted next to it. The rotating part of the throttle moves some magnets around the ring.

I can get the scooter to move and the throttle to actuate by waving the transistor thing around in free space. Loosely attempting to re-mount the throttle in its correct configuration makes the scooter regulate its speed somewhat, but not predictably.

How do I make a new throttle, or how do I fix this one? What kind of signal is a "hall effect throttle" sending? Should I be doing a voltage- or current-controlled signal?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Otto Skorzeny posted:

If it uses a hall effect sensor like the one sparkfun has in stock this may be helpful
http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Components/General/Hall-US1881EUA.pdf

Nope; as far as I can tell it's an analog device. A digital-latch throttle WOULD be fun, though.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

Beginner question; Why on my cheap MM on the 10amp setting does the current reading continually drop while taking a reading?

I tried it on a 9V battery, got .8amp that kept dropping all the way to like .6 before I took it off.

Then I tried a regulated wallwort that went from 2.7 and dropped down to 2.36 before I stopped.

You're draining the battery and the voltage is sagging as it heats from a dead short. "Regulated" wall-warts aren't, particularly. It's probable that the voltage on that didn't sag too much as the amperage dropped, but those are usually rated in VA and regulation range, which dead shorts usually drastically exceed.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

BattleMaster posted:

I think the only PIC18s with two UARTs are in the PIC18 J-series, which are 3.3 volt only. None of the lesser PICs have two and many of the 16- and 32-bit ones do but are also 3.3 volt only.

MAPS lists a fair pile of pic18Fs, 2-5.5V with 3PWMs and 2 A/E/USARTs. It lists individual parts for about $3-4 or so. Some even come in 28-pin SPDIP (.070 pitch DIP).

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I recently brought a 48v scooter back to life with four new 12V SLA batteries. I only own a 12V charger, but the batteries are hooked up in series to 48V.

I would like to manufacture a 48V charger. Is this feasable? SLA batteries need to be on constant-current charge until per-cell voltage is at a certain point (depends on temperature), then on constant-voltage charge until current drops below a certain point, then on a float charge indefinitely.

How should I go about this? Is a 48V power supply doable? I was just thinking a transformer and full-wave rectifier to get to 48VDC, maybe a filter cap to smooth ripple somewhat, then a linear regulator to get to 5 or 3.3V to power a PIC with a temperature, voltage, and current sensor.

Any ideas on how to get a 48V signal into a 3.3 or 5V PIC besides a voltage divider? How should I rig a current sensor? What's the best (1 degree accuracy) temperature sensing solution for under $8?

Any big gotchas that might loom out of the darkness to blow this thing up?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

clredwolf posted:

Yes. Invest in some power resistors before you start testing on/blowing up SLAs though.

My thought is that it will have 2 stages: constant current, then constant voltage. Maybe a third 'off' stage. With a PIC controlling everything that should be fairly easy (hint: use state machines, they're your friend).

I've seen 48V and 50V electronics before, so there's probably transformers or even switchers (AC-DC or DC-DC converters) out there for this. The more current the better, but don't go overboard or you can fry the batteries. I think 5 amps might be a max for this project. (more amps = faster charge time)
The software side is easy; I'm looking for specific hardware advice. These are 20Ah batteries, and my charging guide says no more than 30% capacity for current charge. That means 6A max charge, but I'm thinking probably 3A or so to prolong life.

quote:

That'll work. Most SLA chargers I've seen don't actually use the temp. sensor. A switching supply will use less energy, however I'd suggest looking at getting that as a self-contained module and NOT a DIY, switching supplies are not for the feint of heart.
This thing is going to be in a garage in the desert. We get 30 degree F temperature swings daily. I think a temp sensor is a must in this instance.

quote:

Battery? Transformer off the A/C line? I mean you're not gonna get a thunderbolt to the head for having two plugs for this type of thing (just buy another power strip).
I meant how do I get string voltage back to the PIC? I stop constant-current charge when voltage is at X and move to constant voltage mode. Is a precision voltage divider sufficent, or is there a better way? I've gotta get something in the 50V range to work with a PIC's ADC.

quote:

Three words: isolated sense resistor. Look at using a sense resistor, and an isolated amplifier like an iso 124 (expensive, but worth it for not shocking yourself). Some really rugged opamps can do it too, but you'll need to still isolate it somehow.

I've got some 32gauge magnet wire and a couple of 1.000 ohm precision resistors. Is winding my own CT a good solution? Do CTs work on DC?

quote:

Note sure here, there's a lot of temperature sensors out there though. Sometimes you can work with funky configurations until something falls out that works well (whetstone and kelvin bridge configurations can be extremely accurate).
Ah. I was more asking what technology. Thermocouple, thermistor, digital sensor.

quote:

Overvolting the batteries, reverse polarizing the batteries (it WILL happen, how will you fix it?....hint: it can be a pretty easy fix), shorts...any time you work with things over 5-12 volts you have to be mindful of what you are doing. Respect the machine, for it can be dangerous.

Oh yeah, and please please use fuses on your household side, and probably on your battery side too.

I'm all about safety. I've got some DIN-rail 120V AC/DC breakers available for pretty cheep. I'm a commercial electrician as my day job. 48VDC at 5A is nothing compared to 480VAC @ 2000A, but that doesn't mean it's safe to play with. You can weld fairly easily with one of these small batteries.

The last concern is cost: A 48V smart SLA charger costs about $100-200. I'd like to get this done for around $20 or so. I've already got the PIC and a few precision resistors. I'll scrounge for power resistors for testing, and scrounge for things like filter caps and the like. I've got a k-type thermocouple available, but it doesn't look like it's able to directly interface with a PIC.

I think I can also dig up some opamps from some old projects, maybe even a couple of SPI ADC/DACs.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 1, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Allistar posted:

Hey guys!

http://ramblee.com/2010/02/13/arduino-project-rgb-lcd-weather-station/

I've made a post on my blog about my project with the (somewhat) final results. I designed a PCB over this past week that cleans up a lot of the wiring clutter and just overall makes it look better. I've sent it to batchPCB and can't wait to get it back to see how my first design "did".

Ok. So, 48V charger seems like it's gonna be a huge pain in the rear end so how about this:
A bank of 3-way switches (SPDT). I realize it's possible to connect the switches in such a manner that there's bad voltage on the rails, but that shouldn't matter as long as I flip all the + terminals first, then all the - terminals.

Is there a better way? I'm trying to get out of this cheap; and 3-way switches are about a dollar each. On the other end of the spectrum is a 48V smart charger for $125.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

lurklurklurk posted:

Kinda cross-posting from Hardware/Software thread:

I'm working on a project through my college to repair a Link Trainer. We want to replace the "crab," which is used to draw a flight path onto a map. Everything is easy except for that drat synchro.

The crab is steered by a synchro which is connected to the bottom of the cockpit. We want to use the synchro outputs with the speed to plot the FP on a computer. We don't know what aspects of the signals are important (phase, magnitude) or what algorithm to use to interpret them. Any help in those regards would be much appreciated.

No pix now, can't get them til Monday if anyone wants.

e - actually here are some net pix
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3296/2754191641_79f80675be.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/Link-trainer-ts.jpg

This device is essentially an analogue computer, running on vacuum. The calculations are done using trig and valves.
The military synchros I've worked with were very simple. There are two coils on the sending end and two on the receiving end. One coil from each set is connected in series, and is static. Putting an AC Signal into this coil set induces voltage into the movable coils. The sending end coil is attached to whatever you're monitoring, and the receiving end coil is attached to a needle. When power is applied, the receiving end acts like a motor to cancel the difference in position between the monitored device and the needle position. When the sending end thingy changes position, a phase difference causes the receiving end to drive the needle to match it, frequently at very high speed.

Hopefully, your system works just like this, and you'll be able to monitor the difference in phase on your sender. The thing to note is that synchros are really rate-driven devices since the receiver starts moving as soon as there's a change. A constant phase offset means constant rate-of-change of input. Of course, if you disconnect the receiver coil, then it's back to an absolute position encoder.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

lurklurklurk posted:

Sounds like all I need is the phase and not the amplitude, which would be nice, but it think mine is a little different. I believe there are 4 coils per end, one on the rotor which moves and 3 static at 120 deg intervals around the rotor. This ought to complicate the matter a little more, but if yours were all phase then mine should be too.

Sounds like you've got 3-phase coils. The ones I worked with used one phase to energize and had a 3-phase takeoff for higher directional sensitivity. It should give one signal 120 degrees out on three wires, and a three-phase rotor on the needle end. This is a more fail-safe configuration as you can lose either an energizing or rotating coil (sending/receiving) and still have 240 degrees of indication, possibly up to 300 degrees depending on whether the coil or connecting wire failed open or shorted.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Hillridge posted:

Any of you know of a good solar energy forum? I'm planning a 5kW array for my house and want a good place to bounce around some ideas.

Make a thread; I've been studying it pretty hardcore from a professional installer's standpoint. I've got a whole slew of tools that (theoretically) can size everything from the panels to the switch/batteries/inverter/etc.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Aluminum Record posted:

Aye, I knew about some of those things (we learned about the resistivity of materials, calculations involving it, and drift velocity of electrons and such. I just wanted to make sure I had the right idea in that the electrons are actually flowing from negative to positive terminals on the battery.

Yep. There are two ways of teaching electricity: Conventional current flow and electron flow. Conventional current is + to -, electron flow is how electrons move, - to +.

Both work just fine; the sign just comes out different when doing current calculations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ante posted:

You'll also never use electron flow outside of a physics class.

My Electrician's Apprentice course is teaching electron flow for some reason. Made semiconductors really confusing being that I'd learned everything in conventional flow, so all the arrows were pointed all crazy.

In other "release the smoke" news, I repaired my wife's electric roasting pan.

I'd left it on overnight and burned out the heating element. I calculated the resistance of the old element based on the wattage given. then I went to McMaster Carr and looked at their nichrome wire. Selecting one, I found the resistivity and density of the alloy, then calculated the correct length, and therefore weight. I bought a spool of the right size and some mica tape, and made my own heating element.

It works great, now that it's burned in; the wire ships with some kind of oil on it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

orange lime posted:

Does it say anything about current requirements? I'm not an engineer, but I can't see a 9v battery having enough power to do what I think it's doing.

You could try an old PC power supply. They put out 12v and 20+ amps, and then you can put it under a garbage can and/or be far away when you try it.

That's the point. You don't want much current. Stator current/voltage generates output current/voltage. Low DC input=low AC output. It's just trying to diagnose the problem in the exciter circuit.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Shazzner posted:

Ok I have a really dumb question to ask; I'm only asking this because as I'm learning EE lately a lot of conventions I knew turned out to be completely wrong.

I need to install a simple on/off toggle switch to my PID temp controller, can I put the toggle switch basically in line on the positive (black) wire going to the controller? Like an old knife switch on a science project.

I'm also worried about the switch rating and fuses, I'm not sure how many amps are running through the thing and I'm a little scared to test on my radioshack voltmeter. Any ideas on how to approach this? The data sheet on the controller isn't too descriptive.

If you're lucky, your controller will have a nameplate that gives either VA (volt-amps) or Watts somewhere on it. Size your fuse at 25-50% over that, and your switch interrupt rating at 2x your fuse, and you'll be good. I bet a 5A fuse and a standard residential toggle switch ("light switch") will be fine.

Knife switches are usually rated in the hundreds of amps, even for small ones, so that'd work, too. I saw some fused knife switches at the supply house with 140A fuses in a 3" switch.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

dxt posted:

I'm trying to make a 60V DC power supply for using a wall outlet to charge batteries and I'm not sure how to get to 60V after rectifying with that square root of 2 factor. Any ideas?

Wall power should be 120V RMS, or 170V pk-pk. It should rectify to pretty close to 60VDC.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

dwoloz posted:

I'd like to build a wind turbine soon and was wondering if I had an AC generator, could that be directly connected to my utility power to feed back to the grid or do I have to get a DC generator and then use a grid tie inverter

Swing on over to the "Don't Burn Your House Down" thread, as we're talking about connecting generators right now.

In short, your generator needs a synchronizer to get it to match the grid "well enough" as defined by your power company. It has to be within tolerance on frequency and voltage, and then synchronized with respect to phase.

This stuff is not cheap.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

dv6speed posted:

That would seem like the sensible thing huh?

My question relates to welding. DC carbon electrodes are picky what the waveform of the power you are using looks like. Essentially I want to know what a rectified signal from a rotary phase converter looks like, so I have some idea what might happen when I plug a 3 phase welding machine into one.

I really want to know what the rectified waveform looks like BEFORE the addition of capactiors to the circuit.

A rotary phase converter is a 3-phase generator hooked to a single-phase motor. The output looks like any other 3-phase generator waveform.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Frobbe posted:

i'd guess that would be the basic operation of the thing, yeah, to me it just seems like it should be hella more complicated than it actually is?

i use one with my solar tracker to turn the motor depending on a signal from a sensor suite.

Think about it thus: You are switching both the power and the ground connection. If you want to go one direction, this is two switches. Add two more switches to go the other way.

Close all four switches and have two short circuits around the motor!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

nobody- posted:

2. What's a good book that goes over basic electronics? I'm talking transistors and op-amps, mostly. I've had the standard Physics II classes in college that cover Kirchhoff's laws and basic RC circuits, but I'd really like to have a better understanding of analog electronics. I can kind of put together a circuit that does what I want if I treat it as a bunch of functional black boxes that I can assemble together into a working whole, but there are still massive gaps in my knowledge when it comes to the actual operation of semiconductor devices, and often times, I find that components don't necessarily behave as I thought they would. Are there any books out there that, while explaining theoretical concepts, also show practical applications of this theory?

"Timers, Op-amps and Optoelectronic Circuits and Projects" By Forest M. Mims III. Get it from Radio Shack. It's a fabulous book.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Delta-Wye posted:

Disclaimer - I'm a digital guy through-and-through, and sometimes power throws me for a loop. It's embarrassing, but there ya go.

Anyways, I was at an RV park, attempting to assist some british chaps with charging their electric supercar, and we ran into a problem. They were going to rig up a charging cable off of a 50A 2-phase plug.

This is the panel, #3.

The two hot legs measured ~110V from neutral, but 60V from each other using a multimeter. We were expecting 240V, and were a bit surprised. I assume the phases weren't exactly 180 degrees apart (I would have assumed they were two legs from a 3 phase system so they were 120 degrees apart). This seemed weird, but a cursory googling didn't find a good explanation. Whats going on? Something obvious I'm ignorant about, or was the RV park incorrectly wired?

Incorrectly wired. That's a standard 50-amp receptacle there. The three blade terminals are y, w, x, from left to right. "W," in the center, is neutral. Should be 0v to ground, and "115V nominal" to the other two, which means 110-120V. RV Power is single-phase from a center-tapped transformer, with the center tap as neutral, so the other terminals SHOULD be reading 220-240V between them. 60V phase-to-phase and 110V to neutral means Something Is Wrong.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I got my TI 430 Value starter kit today!

It's a really powerful little device for the $4 I spent. Now, what to automate? Every coffee machine in the house? RFID Cat Door? Auto-tracking nerf guns?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ola posted:

Yeah, I need to account for the fact that some gears use only two segments and others five. I'll try to read up on segment drivers, that will probably be much more elegant. Worst case I can get a spare gear position indicator for $15 on eBay but that would be a lot less cool.

Thanks much guys.

Lessee... AND/NOR gates feeding 7-segment driver, I think. Lemme try to fab up a pretty simple circuit. This doesn't need a microcontroller AT ALL.
edit:

4511 CMOS 7-seg. 22V allowable input. The display should say '0' for neutral/between gears, then 1,2,3,4,5.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 12, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Mill Town posted:

I think you need to reexamine your diode logic there. The way that's currently set up, 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th will all display 7, and 2nd will display 0. I think this is what you were going for:

Heh. I did, indeed, put the diodes on the wrong side of the connections.

I was distracted doing other things.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ante posted:

In other news, my MSP-EXP430 came today! What should I make?
What I'd like to do is make an RFID reader/cloner, but I haven't done any research yet on what kind of transducers I'd need, and as of recently, I'm almost completely broke.

My msp430 came a few weeks ago, and it's 100% incompatible with linux. Oh well.

Check Radio Shack for the Parallax RFID readers. They've been discontinued, and ring up at $9 (or less), even though the drawer says $49.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Son of a bitch. Stop checking hackaday for a week and look what happens. I even hacked the ti_5280_3140 driver and firmware to get it to recognize to no avail.

Ok. I'll try it now with the new tools.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

polyfractal posted:

Is there a way to discharge a capacitor/circuit if you can't access the leads to the capacitor? Everything I've read says to discharge a cap by connecting the leads to a big resistor. I'm repairing a Rear Projection TV and don't really want to gently caress around with it until the big cap (120v 1000uF) is discharged...but I can't get to the capacitor leads unless I gently caress around with the TV to remove the board. Catch 22 here :)

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I thought modern electronics were required to have bleed resistors on caps. 5 minute discharge maximum, IIRC.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ante posted:

You can use the water-in-pipes analogy.

Treat batteries as pumps, and electrons as water. All of the piping you use is completely full of water.
If you have a circle of piping, then the pumps will continuously circulate water around the loop. If you break the circle, that is, take out a section of pipe and cap the ends, then the water has nowhere to go. The pumps are still trying to push water forward, but nothing is happening.

Instead of pumps, think of the batteries as water tanks. The top of the tank is +, the bottom is -. The water level in the tank is voltage. Since both your tanks are at the same voltage, then the water is at the same level. If you connect the top of one tank to the bottom of the other, no current flows because the water level in both tanks is the same.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Popete posted:

Right say you stacked them on top of each other they don't discharge because they are essentially both full? Creating one larger voltage/tank of water.

They don't discharge because there's nowhere for the water to go. Two tanks, sitting on top of each other. Nothing connected to the outlet. No current.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

catbread.jpg posted:

What's the deal with this?

If it's anything like incandescents, then the ripple means they light up, and the filaments stay hot, yet total power output is lower, so life is longer. Lower RMS power, same effective brightness.