Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Two stupid newbie questions:

I have an 8x8 LED matrix, specifically this one. The example they link to (on arduino.cc) doesn't show any current limiting resistors though. Do the LEDs in the matrix have some internal current limiting, or am I missing something here?

Second, a 74HC595 (8 bit shift register) can only pass about 70mA total. If using it to control 8 LEDs you have to limit each one to about 9mA and they'll be quite dim. You can use a transistor for each LED, but is there a way to do it with fewer components?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

That's like my favorite part about electronics. "Hmm that thing I randomly saw looks useful, might as well buy 10 of them for $0.05 each!"
And then at check out you wonder why the total is $200, you only bought cheap stuff! :confused:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Salvaged some components from a 90s era voice logging machine at work that we were scrapping. Some pots, a rotary encoder, and this thing:

It's a 320x256 EL display, which are apparently still sold and cost $600. :stare:

According to the datasheet it's got a really simple interface, so I'll see if I can hook it up to an arduino and draw a dick on it or something.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 12, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

When I come across long winded videos that I still want to watch without skipping around I use the Youtube playback speed control. Most people are still perfectly understandable at double speed if you can stand the chipmunk voice they end up with.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jonad posted:

What's the best way for me to give myself lead poisoning, electronics thread?
Acute lead poisoning? Get shot.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Parts Kit posted:

You might be surprised. For instance, radioactive antiques are very much a thing.
Uranium glassware is pretty sought after by collectors and the easiest way to tell real uranium glass apart from fakes is to bring a geiger counter.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I always get nervous when something doesn't work as expected but gets warm cause it usually means a short circuit somewhere. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You could just grab a length of Cat5 which is cheap and will be good enough for most low voltage applications, and you get 8 conductors to play with.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And another notch for the "the weirdest problems have the simplest causes" theory.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

General_Failure posted:

May I ask something else? Can someone point me in the direction of a thread to ask about Arduinos? I've always built everything from scratch and have been resistant to buying a prefab uC solution. But I think it's time. I'm prepared to buy an Arduino knockoff from Aliexpress
Here you go

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There are a couple out-of-the-box USB-HID boards that you just hook up whatever buttons/levers/controllers you want to, for example http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836/ Google for "usb game controller board" should find you a couple of other options.

Alternatively some of the Arduino boards (Due and Leonardo at least, possibly others) can be used as a USB-HID device, which would allow you to do stuff like macro programming as well.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

huhu posted:

I'm designing a PCB that has 12 push buttons on it and I'd like each one to individually be able to trigger an LED when pressed, additionally they supply information to a Raspberry Pi or Arduino. My two ideas thus far were to have a wire from each button go to the LED but this would require 12 diodes, or have the LED wired up so that 5V > LED > all the push buttons > 220 resistor for each button > ground, but was told that the voltage drop across the LED might not cause the buttons to be triggered when pressed. My third thought was some kind of thing that receives all 12 push buttons and if any of its inputs are high, it'll output a high. I'm not sure if such a thing exists or if you guys have any other ideas.
If you're going to push the data to a microcontroller anyway, just use the microcontroller to read the switch matrix and control the LEDs too.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

Yes, 670 to be exact. They don't have to do any hard work or anything though. I plan to control them by daisy-chaining 42 of these boards: https://www.adafruit.com/products/815
Can I ask what you need 670 servos controlled by a single controller for?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

We're basically making a screen out of servos. White pixels are servos in one position, Black pixels servos in another position. It doesnt Have to be controlled by a single controller, but the less controllers I have to buy the better.
So like a giant servo driven flip-dot display? How big is each pixel going to be? I'm pretty sure you can get off the shelf flip-dots up to at least a few inches in dot size.

e: And if you have to custom build it, as PP said if you're only using two absolute positions anyway, solenoids are going to be a much better solution than servos.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 9, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I have a device I’m wiring to run off two power sources. One is a linear voltage regulator with +5.2 V output, and when that cuts out, as happens regularly, it needs battery backing.

My plan is to use three alkaline batteries in series, with a diode to prevent the +5.2 V source from attempting to charge the batteries. That’s a basic technique.
Any reason you're using alkaline batteries and not just a LiPo cell with a smart charging circuit? Then you'd get useful stuff like undervolt protection, and the battery will last forever as long as it gets power from your regulator every now and then.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just have a 24-12v step down circuit to feed your lower voltage stuff. It's small and cheap if you don't need it to handle lots of current.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's an awesome project ekuNNN, and now I understand why you needed so many.

How did you solve the servo controlling? Did you daisy chain a whole bunch of control boards, or end up with some bus solution?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah that's a good idea, I know they like to showcase cool stuff being done with their boards.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Private video?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

johnnyonetime posted:

Aside from just stringing more and more extension cords out there is there a better solution we can implement that could handle the load of all the light strings and possible go across one plug? Maybe like a high wattage power supply in the garage that runs out to the front yard? Sorry if this is an idiotic question, it's not the sort of thing I can just plug into google and get a decent answer.
Plug in an amp meter and check the draw. If it's below the rating of the cords it's fine. Check that the fuse for the circuit hasn't been replaced with a nail or whatever.

The faded strands are probably due to moisture/corrosion or a failing power supply rather than insufficient mains power.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Well that's one hell of a dumpster find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_S9YsD9Y0c

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cumslut1895 posted:

Poor baby doesn't want a spider phone :rolleyes:
To be fair nobody likes spider phones.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have a pair of Argon 6340A active speakers for my PC which have some garbage "energy saving" feature where they'll shut themselves off if there's no sound input. The problem is the input detection is way too insensitive and even though the manual says they'll shut off after 20 minutes, they often shut off after ~30 seconds if the input volume drops too low, like during a quiet part of a song or game. It's pissing me off and I want it gone.

I haven't cracked the speakers open yet, but there's an audible click when they turn off and on, so I'm assuming there's a mechanical relay that just cuts power to the amplifier. I figure if I can get to it, I can just bypass the relay to have the speakers active all the time. They still have a power switch in the rear to manually turn them off if needed.

Alternatively I had the idea that I could run a USB lead from the computer to the speakers and use the power from the USB port to activate the relay so they'll stay active as long as the computer is on, but turn off when I turn the computer off. Without knowing the exact specs of the relay yet, do you think this would be a reasonable approach?

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 20, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nah, it's a pretty distinct click, not the pop you get when you turn a poorly made amplifier off.

KnifeWrench posted:

You have the switch in the back if you're concerned with draw while the computer is off. Using a relay as a wire is silly and wasteful.
It was mostly an interesting challenge, I don't care about the power draw. It's miniscule anyway, which is another reason the "energy saver" is completely pointless but apparently it's EU regulation: https://ec.europa.eu/energy/sites/ener/files/documents/Guidance%20document_Lot%2026_Networked%20Standby_clean%20FIN.pdf

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 20, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

So I cracked the speakers open to have a look.

This is the main transformer. Power comes in on the left, the power switch is on the right with an inline fuse after the switch.

This is the relay board. There's a relay in the top left, but the back of the board is all epoxied over so I can't just short it out. So my new plan is to just bypass the board completely. The 4-pin connector at the bottom goes to the signal board. The 2 pin connector goes to the power LED, but I had to disconnect it to get the board out of the case.

I'm thinking this board doesn't do 220V rectifying, right? So I'm not sending AC into a tranformer that expects DC by shorting over the two connectors? The small transformer on the relay board outputs 11V AC and I assume it does low voltage rectifying to feed the input detection and power LED.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 25, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The 4-pin connector was glued in place so I just cut it off. Now the speakers are always on unless I decide to switch them off. Only drawback is the power LED doesn't work any more, but I can live with that.

Screw your energy saving regulations. We have nuclear. :colbert:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

So my "scroll wheels in a box" project has evolved into trying to make a simpler, cheaper version of this overpriced bullshit:

https://palettegear.com/
That looks pretty cool actually, but yeah the prices are a bit silly. It tickles the same kind of "this would be cool if I had a legitimate use for it" thought that I felt about the Griffin Powermate.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

You might need a port expander or one of the bigger Arduino models (Mega) if you have a lot of candles and buttons, since you need one pin for each LED and each button, and a basic UNO only has 19 I/O pins. But the programming logic is pretty trivial -- something like this should do what you want, if I'm picturing it correctly:
You can also grab a pair of cheap 74HC595 digital multiplexers, which would let you connect up to 16 LEDs/switches to 3 pins on the arduino. The coding gets slightly more complex though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sockser posted:

Yeah, that's what I assumed is what did it. I think I maybe put that jumper there (while shitfaced) to power the strips directly off the Teensy while I was debugging stuff and then didn't pay any attention to it when I shoved a 5v supply into the other side.
The Teensy has two pins for feeding it power. One VIn which runs through a regulator, and one 3V which does not. So you can run it on 5V, but in your picture you've got your 5V rail connected to the unregulated 3.3V input. Move it to VIn instead and you'll be fine.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Historical reasons I bet.

And with bands you don't have to care about mounting your resistor with the number facing up.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:corsair: Lead is dangerous? Hold my cigar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ_85fp1avs

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

csammis posted:

Soldering jobs, coding jobs, drawing jobs, construction jobs, cooking jobs…
Finding some old code and going "What's this garbage, who wrote this? ... Oh, I did."

It happens way too often.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have a TS101 and from what I've read it's basically the same as the Pinecil at a $10 or so premium, not enough to matter. Just go with whichever you can buy with the least amount of jumping through hoops.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Oh yeah I should mention the TS101 came with a very nice and flexible silicone USB-C cable, so all you need is a 45W+ USB-PD power supply. If you have an android phone made in the past two years you probably have one already.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wonder if it would be enough to power something like a wireless keyboard or mouse. Would be nice to never have to charge that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I built a custom wireless board a while back using a nice!nano controller (basically an Arduino Micro with a built in BLE module). It's powered by a 130mAh battery and a charge is good for about two weeks of daily use.