Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have experience opening up and modding a Nexus 7 or another tablet? I'm considering picking up an old N7 (edit: or a Sero 7) for cheap and sticking it into my car (NB MX-5 Miata). The thing is, I don't think there's going to be as much space around as in larger cars that I've seen the N7 installed, and the bezel will of course get in the way:

So,
1. If taken apart, can the bezel be cut/ground off the short edges at least? Pictures of the replacement digitizer layer suggest that there's nothing there
2. The camera appears to be removable and not soldered on, would there be anything preventing me from extending it and using it as a dash or reverse camera?

I'm going to pull out the existing head unit as soon as it's convenient to see what's going on back there, but if anyone's already done something like this, suggestions would be appreciated as that would the a first for me. And I'm talking about cutting up the tablet rather than the dash because it's actually cheaper to replace, should I gently caress something up :stare:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's not actually soldered on, though the connector looks like it could be challenging to extend:

That's probably still a good point about the interface not being able to handle long distances. Just running it up to the dash would be nice too, but I guess I'll have to try it to find out. On the up side, after more research it appears that a rooted Nexus 7 can just connect to a regular webcam.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like this might be the right thread - I want to connect this DVB tuner to my car's stock antenna. Supposedly I need two adapters: BNC female to MCX male and BNC to Motorola to get this done.

Since I'm not in the US I'm just ordering from Ebay and I got the first adapter here but not the BNC/Motorola one. The seller has a shitload of various BNC adapters, but I can't find the one I need - could someone have a look if the seller (or someone else) has it under a different name? I just can't figure out all the connector types that could make this work.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm making a voltage divider in order to measure 3-cell LiPo voltage with an arduino (so 5v max). I know just enough to make this work, but am I understanding correctly that the current used by the divider is V/(R1+R2), so I should get the largest resistors as I only need to measure the output voltage? What would be reasonable value here? I already have a bunch of 100k ones but I'll need to get more for the other cells anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

asdf32 posted:

Do the math on the battery capacity to see how much you care. 100k on 3*3.7 is ~100uA. So it would take 10000 hours to consume an Ah. That's over a year. Or, compare the current to the self-discharge rate. If its less then you know it isn't a big factor.

The other variable you'd consider is the input impedance of the A/D converter (or whatever you're sending the divided voltage into). Nothing is infinitely high so it will load down your divider somewhat and impact your measurement. 100k total is in the territory where it's probably ok but, at say 1meg, you could easily start running into problems with input impedance distorting your divider.

Thanks! Yeah looks like it's going to be totally negligible.

While waiting for some parts I decided to fix an LCD monitor - I thought it'd be blown caps (power LED just goes nuts or does nothing at all when powered on) but no such luck, they look fine visually:

However something on the other side obviously got way hotter than it probably should've been, but I have no idea what it is.

Could someone ID this part? Does it look hosed, and could it be causing the failure? Replacing the caps is probably as far as I'd normally take this but getting inside was enough of a pain in the rear end that I might as well try fixing it, even though I have no idea what I'm doing at this point any more :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry guys, I thought I got at as clean as it was going to get before getting damaged, but after going at it with a sharp knife and fingernail it got much better.

So... 9.1 B? 3.1 θ? Could depend on what it's supposed to say... The second line is more difficult, on the second photo after some more scraping it looks like it could be 25.

The monitor is Fujitsu-Siemens P19-2 (so not really worth much effort), the power board in question is called 715G1643-1, it was even available at aliexpress once though I can't find any schematics.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/original-715G1643-1-2-power-supply-board-lowest-price-Good-service/420447_1890399457.html

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SandBox posted:

looking on http://www.marsport.org.uk/smd/mainframe.htm
"81B" appears to be a zener diode with part number "BZ5251B", but the datasheets on digikey don't have the 81B markings so I'm not sure whats going on there

Yeah "81B" is probably the correct interpretation as all other permutations don't seem to correspond to any real parts. But this one is also in the SOT23 packaging while the one on the board appears to be DO-219AB, so, yeah, what the hell.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Anyway I was doing some more research and apparently the "best" way to measure soil moisture is using time-domain reflectometry, I wonder if I could build that myself :getin:

Definitely let us know how well that goes!

I have some cheapo sensors on the way from china now as well. There are some decent commercial ones available for around 40 bucks but that's definitely not as fun and also more expensive than a lifetime supply of herbs that I'd watering with this setup :D

E: typos

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 22, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If the size of the Arduino board is a concern, you could use a Nano or Mini Pro (I think there's even a 3.3 version). Or you could also just pull out the ATMEGA chip from the board and include a socket for it on the PCB. It actually needs surprisingly little extra stuff to work so this shouldn't be too bad.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I don'tthink this is the case - there's some poo poo with Espressif's datasheets not stating an absolute maximum, but the input high is clearly 3.3 so some interpret this as it being tolerant of 5V. There's a longer discussion here: http://hackaday.com/2016/07/28/ask-hackaday-is-the-esp8266-5v-tolerant/ but the TL;DR seems to be that it's safer not to do it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
TBH these things are cheap enough that who gives a poo poo - as long as you have a couple extra and don't need to wait two weeks for a replacement to arrive from HK. Anecdotally, it does seem that 5V is ok, and there's also this: http://www.ba0sh1.com/2016/08/03/is-esp8266-io-really-5v-tolerant/ and a quote from the CEO. So maybe I'm just a bit paranoid after frying a 3.3v arduino with a USB TTL thingie - there was a 5/3v switch but it only affected VCC, not logic. Oops.

I should have a level shifter arriving next week, if it doesn't, I'll probably just go ahead with a couple resisters.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I got my esp8266 based irrigation controller set up pretty well but the moisture readings are a bit wonky, perhaps unsurprisingly for a <$1 sensor.

The bit in the middle is fine, it was just off, but what I don't get is why it's so noisy sometimes, to the point of being useless, and other times very consistent. I can smooth it out of course, as shown here with the black moving average, but still. Anything I could do to stabilize it, or is it just fundamentally garbage and I should just bite the bullet and get/diy a capacitive sensor?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Turkey posted:

Can you write up a bit how you've set this up, did you use Arduino or Mongoose, I'm looking to get a cheap sensor to talk to an esp8266 myself with mixed results.

Sure, this turned out to be pretty trivial all things considered, but my lack of knowledge in the area meant a lot of research and trial and error to get there. I'm using a knockoff NodeMCU board (though a WeMos would probably work better with its compact size) with Arduino libraries. This was a million times easier than trying to program an 12E board directly since you don't have to manually pull up/down half of the pins on the drat board to get it to boot in the right mode.

Then the minimal config is the sensor I linked before (or a nicer one for :20bux:), and depending on what you want to do, a logic-level MOSFET like FQP30N06L to control a solenoid valve or pump (i used this one) or a relay. You'd also need a resistor and to be safe, a diode is also a good idea when using a coiled load, hooking everything up like this:

Then just analogRead, and turn on the MOSFET based on some pre-defined threshold, you'd probably want to experiment. In my case, consistent readings over 150 or so is pretty dry and needs watering. This can get as complicated as you want to make it, so just ask if this didn't cover it.

e: because the moisture sensor tends to corrode in the wet soil very quickly, especially when powered, it's better to toggle it on only when necessary

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 22, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Or find the part number that you want and buy it from ebay, ali etc. Like these 5 encoders for 15 cents each: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-of-11mm-Mouse-Encoder-Scroll-Wheel-Repair-Part-Switch-/142390551823?hash=item212723650f:g:2KIAAOSwlMFZH7iW. Basically you can find anything you want in China. You might need to provide your own LEDs.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Magic Blue Smoke, I just blew up a cheapo LED strip controller real good. Like a flash and a fire good!

Unsurprisingly, it's the MOSFET that poo poo the bed, apparently Vishay Si2302DS or knockoff. The resistor seems to be dead too, but overall it's probably salvageable, if totally not worth it. It's actually a great excuse to try to hack together a wifi controller with an ESP-01 and giant FQP30N06 MOSFETS I have laying around.

Dunno if this could've burned the house down, I certainly thought so when I saw the bright flash in my peripheral vision :v: It would probably been my fault too as I noticed that it was getting hotter after hooked it up to a more powerful supply, but didn't move it from the shelf where it was stuck quite tightly and probably wasn't getting much airflow.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah just ebay that poo poo. I'd probably secure a real supplier for production, but for just dicking around, I've never had any issues.

Would anyone mind explaining the difference between WS2812/WS2812B? I was actually just looking to buy a bunch (probably on a strip) myself.

E: another thing. I had an ESP-01 laying around and after blowing up my LED controller (see previous post), I hacked together new IoT one with leftover FQP30N06s mosfets. They're way overkill though as I need like 3 amps drain current tops so I'm looking for a smaller replacement, but all I can see in compatible G/D/S throughhole packages is either very similar, or wimpy little TO-92 stuff that's no good. Any ideas? I suspect that I just suck at searching...

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 5, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ate all the Oreos posted:

I have one, I just also bought a 10-pack of the ESP-01's because it was like $15 and "boy wouldn't it be great if I could just throw wifi in everything" seemed like a great idea at the time :sigh:

At least they work with the default AT-command mode as far as I can tell

I had a few ESP-01s collecting dust for like a year for the same reason, but it actually turned out to work quite well once I
a) Pulled up/down all the pins as recommended
b) Hooked it up directly to a 5v logic programmer instead of dicking around with a level shifter

it then worked perfectly every time after that and I was able to replace my blown $2 LED controller with hours worth of work

But still, don't buy 01s because they suck in terms of form factor, memory, and available pins. Although they do kind of fit nicely into a protoboard.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've used this... thing for literally a decade at least

TBF I wasn't really into electronics and this was cheap, tiny, and worked perfectly adequately for measuring batteries, checking continuity for broken connections etc. It was also still useful when I got into RC flying since I could keep it in a pocket in case I needed to check something in the field. Sadly it is no more, after changing the battery and re-soldering the leads (they're fixed) it just doesn't work right and throws all kinds of random numbers. So far I got one of the cheapo Aneng meters as a stop-gap solution since they seemed to get decent reviews. I was planning on picking up a Fluke when I'm in the US in Sept/Oct but it seems that the cheaper ones aren't well suited for electronics and I'm not paying $500 for the right one, no matter how great it is.

Anyway, I'm now messing around with a WS2812 strip and while it's pretty much the simplest project I've done recently, but instead I'm completely stuck. I hooked up the strip directly to external power (it can draw up to 2 amps) and the common ground with both a Digispark and Nano, DIN to a digital pin and... it does nothing. I tried a bunch of libraries but couldn't get it to do anything at all, going from scratch or with provided examples.

It quickly flashes whenever I connect the power so it's not completely dead, but other than that I can't think of anything I could check without a scope. Are there any common issues with these setups?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

You're running at the wrong voltage. Supply voltage and data voltage can differ. It may want 5 or even 12VDC for power and 3.3 or 5v for data. If it's 5V/5V and you're running either with 3.3V, it won't work.

This is a good point as I didn't check the logic voltage and just assumed it would be 5V, but according to the data sheet it seems like it it's 0.7VCC high and 0.3VCC low so with 5V input it should also work with the 5V ATMEGA/ATTiny. But I'll double check all the levels just in case.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

So far I got one of the cheapo Aneng meters as a stop-gap solution since they seemed to get decent reviews. I was planning on picking up a Fluke when I'm in the US in Sept/Oct but it seems that the cheaper ones aren't well suited for electronics and I'm not paying $500 for the right one, no matter how great it is.
Lol so the Aneng multimeter I actually ordered was the AN8002, which is 4000 counts. I didn't even open the package and ordered the 9999 count AN8008 instead, thinking I'd resell/give away the other one. I just received the new one, and it doesn't have the thermocouple feature of the other one, which I thought would've been pretty handy. Fifteen bucks or not, I'm beginning to think that I should probably read the specs before ordering poo poo. :doh:

Well it's not like there's a model that is both 9999 counts and a temp feature though, maybe I'll just keep both...

Also got a cheap-rear end USB soldering iron which actually works surprisingly well and I think could be useful for fixing up my plane and drones in the field: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-8D5t6TJYU

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

You're running at the wrong voltage. Supply voltage and data voltage can differ. It may want 5 or even 12VDC for power and 3.3 or 5v for data. If it's 5V/5V and you're running either with 3.3V, it won't work.
I'm an idiot and was supplying the signal from the wrong end of the strip :ms:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Aurium posted:

There are cheaper 2 channel scopes, but the additional capabilities brought by the other 2 channels are well worth the cost difference.
What about something like Keysight 1000 series? It's not really cheaper but seems to have somewhat better serial decoding and comparable on other parameters. I've never had a scope so I don't really know what I'd use the two extra channels for. Though obviously having more options is better.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone tried driving a HUB75 interface LED module with an ESP8266/32? It seems like it should be possible to at least to some degree, and I'd be ok with just pure RGB without PWM if it meant not messing with FPGAs.

edmund745 posted:

I usually buy IRLZ44's. I think they need 4 volts to turn on tho, so maybe not good for CMOS... I mainly do 5v logic things.
There is a link to them showing up on the ebay page you posted.

The IRLB8721 is rated for 30v and 62 amps.
The IRLZ44 is rated for 55v and 47 amps.

I'm too lazy to do all the math to pick a transistor correctly. :|

The learning experience I had with using the wrong mosfet is that if they are not getting enough gate voltage to turn on all the way, then they will allow the expected voltage through, but only a tiny, tiny amount of current. Like, 1/10th if a milliamp. Or less.
If you measure the voltage from them it looks normal, but nothing connected to that voltage works???... If you measure the current through them, you see it is only a minuscule amount....
I got a bunch of FQP30N06s from ebay, lower threshold voltage was a must for working with the ESP. One of the uses is PWM for an RGB led strip, and even though by my calculations they should be able to handle it without any issues, they do actually get uncomfortably hot. Probably not dangerously so, but still. Ether the calculations were wrong, or they're not fully on and there's still some resistance. Hmmm.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Aurium posted:

Definitely possible. People have driven HUB75s with arudinos, and the 8266 is much more powerful.

Threshold voltage is not the voltage they're should be at working at, it's the minimum voltage they can turn on at.
:techno:
Awesome, thanks for looking into this! I guess I was misinterpreting the specs and assumed that it'd be fully on between 2-4v at the gate. Time to get some more mosfets, thankfully they're pretty cheap and you can never have too many.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This perhaps depends on the phone, but mine uses a connector like this:

I'm pretty certain these can be done with just some wick and a regular iron with a well tip. Even if the pin pitch is a bit smaller, it should be doable with the same principle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoLf8gvvXXU&t=436s

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is the nRF51822 a good choice for a noob to make something with BTLE? I want it to mostly sleep and sample i2c and analog sensor data occasionally and send it to ESP32 (which I don't have yet either). My "supplier" has only that and TI CC2541.

kid sinister posted:

The Nexus 6 is a little different in that it uses a bottom mount connector. I managed to find a couple on Mouser that should work, along with a set of tiny Torx screwdrivers. Those were expensive... Whatever size my phone's screws are, it's smaller than T5, and there's confusion online whether it takes T3 or T4.

I'll try it with wick first.
Good luck! It might definitely be more challenging if the connectors are bottom mounted.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The cheap-rear end microwave radar thingies can't measure distance, can they? I want something to measure how far a person is from the sensor, but ultrasonics wouldn't work very well either at these distances, up to 4-5m. It's just for dicking around so I wouldn't want to spend more than a few bucks which makes this tricky :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks everyone. There definitely a couple of workable options I haven't considered before, and if I were to do this seriously then $30-50 wouldn't be a huge deal. What I'm trying to do is just determine how far away a person is standing from my gadget. A simple distance measure obviously has its downsides such as only detecting the one closest person in a narrow zone but would've been good enough for a prototype. A machine vision solution would probably be best but also kind of overkill at this point.

ante posted:

You're looking for a time of flight sensor.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3317
Really this one is pretty drat close to a perfect solution, but 1.2m isn't enough to be very useful Still, they're cheap enough on ebay to throw into a limited prototype.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I bought this USB->12V module off ebay for the purpose of charging a 12V tablet from USB chargers or powerbanks.

However, it came with no specs. Does anyone know how much current this thing could provide, and if it would be safely limited? I tried to look up the chip that says "AL 729" to try to figure it out but was unsuccessful.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks. And a good point about the noise, I haven't considered that - how likely is it to cause issues in this use case? I don't have a scope to check either this or the original charger unfortunately.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

Depends on how much noise and how sensitive the device is to that noise. Once again, more expensive products tend to have better filtering for better reliability, while cheap products leave some of it out.

Realistically, I think the problem with charging a tablet is just going to be the efficiency loss at each stage of charging. You're going from 5 volts at 2 amps, to 12 volts at maybe 600mA, to 4.2v at maybe 1.5A max, and a tablet battery is going to be 3000-5000mAh. So in a best-case scenario, it's still going to take several hours to charge the device.
It's a $250 Chinese tablet which is pretty well made in general, so who knows. The thing with charging is that it either requires USB-C PD, or the plain 12v dc input. Which is a problem because USB-A charging ports are frequently available in public places (airports, airplanes, malls) while type-C aren't, so it's not as convenient when travelling.

Since I don't have an electronic load I just went for an experiment, and yeah, it's worse than expected. I wouldn't mind it taking longer to charge (or just keeping it from discharging) but 210ma at 12v that I measured is weaker than expected, so it's limited to 500mA input even with 2A supply. Even that could've been better than nothing if it didn't cut off completely every minute or so despite not overheating. I do have another 5v->12v booster that seems a bit beefier but isn't set up for USB input so I'll test it out too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
First ever magic smoke, from a chinese power supply

Half of the mosfet is gone as well as whatever was here:

I don't really see what I could've messed up, it's only hooked up to an LED strip, it blew the moment I turned the power on. Are the resistors' leads supposed touch that way? :thunk:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It was rated for 100-240v, supposedly, and the input is is 230.

The two resistors' leads were in fact touching, but looking at the other side of the PCB, they're on the same trace anyway so it couldn't have been an issue.

Maimgara posted:

As a dude looking at electronics for a living, that thing is a nightmare from the dark past of electronics.
That thing holds the same attraction as the really bad gooncave pictures - its all awful and you keep seeing the next worst thing on there.
The MOSFET looks to have had a short circuit, leading to bond wire going kablooey and sending bits of epoxy everywhere. Every single component is installed off axis and with total disregard for neatness and isolation distance or even sanity. Looking at it, are the two blue-ish resistors touching leads? It might be an artifact of the angle you took the picture, but that could short out the MOSFET and cause the fuse next to the bridge rectifier to belatedly realize something is wrong and give up on life.

Please promise you'll never use mains voltage around anything from that supplier again, its the worst Made In China burn-your-house-down poo poo.
I've definitely seen worse myself, but at least this is a very cost effective way to burn your house down! If I used it immediately and didn't wait for months to hook up the LEDs I could've refunded it for my 3 bucks.

As mentioned above, the resistors were definitely touching, but it's probably not the original issue. The transformer is touching the heatsink and another resistor but it's painted and doesn't seem to conduct. I'll definitely look for a different solution now but this is as fun as digging though a plane crash site.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Stabby McDamage posted:

Two unrelated questions from separate projects:

Q1. What microcontroller board or accessory would be the easiest to make a bluetooth keyboard? The ESP32 has bluetooth, but using it to act as a keyboard seems to be fairly shaky (lots of "git pull the latest to survive"). I want to make a little 3-key device that can send Media Prev/Next/PlayPause to my phone in the car.
I know this is the DIY forum but I feel like this will be a ton of effort for what you can already get for a few bucks from ebay that will look and probably work better.

My aquarium has a built-in fluorescent lighting solution like like this one that does not turn on, no flickering or anything at all. I tried taking each of the tubes out but it made no difference.

This is a pretty expensive bastard to replace so I'd like to try to diagnose this further, is there anything I can do with just a multimeter? The ballast is probably sealed inside the black box part but I might be able to get to it with some effort.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Stabby McDamage posted:

On the BLE thing: Looks good, but I'm stupidly disappointed that it just seems to be an Adafruit thing and not a made-in-china-by-the-bucketload thing. It does look like an easy bet...I'm just spoiled on $4 parts.
Actually I got a cheapo BLE micro a while ago that was supposed to connect to an ESP32 but never got to doing it unfortunately. I'll check what exactly it is and update this.

Stabby McDamage posted:

I actually have one of that exact thing, but the issues are (a) it goes to sleep and requires a keypress+wait to come back online and reconnect and (b) the form factor doesn't have good tactile feedback to use without looking. If I make one that's powered by the car power, it will power+connect on car start (just like the vehicle bluetooth audio) and run as long as the car is on without a sleep state. Saying that now, I wonder if I could just hack apart one of those buttons to craft it to more ergonomic buttons and junction it to car power, but it would still go to sleep on long drives.
Ah, makes sense. Well I'd try hacking it up first, maybe you'd even be able to reflash it.

Stabby McDamage posted:

I'm not a fish expert, but could you just replace it with LED strip? That's what I did with an old LCD monitor with a flourescent backlight -- high density LED strip brought it back to life. Not sure if fish need special wavelengths or something.
I don't have any plants and fish don't care, it's just to make them look all pretty. I have a bunch of LED strips but they're not really powerful enough, the tank now has two 50W tubes so a 18W strip isn't going to come close. They make more dense lights specifically for this purpose so that's the backup solution.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm logging some data with an ESP8266 and I'm having some issues with the BME280 sensor. I'm sampling from it once every minute and from time to time it freaks out and returns ridiculous values. It's not always the same but usually around -30C. Humidity is probably ok but is being affected by the temp, pressure is way off too.

The actual temperature should never be -30C so I could easily filter out these values, but still it's bothering me. It could be just the chinesium sensor but I want to make sure I didn't mess up myself.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

How are you doing the sampling? Are you using SPI or I2C? The device has a couple of modes, the "forced" mode that just takes a sample whenever you ask it to and the "normal" mode that samples periodically and just makes the most recent sample available. Maybe try a different mode and see if you get a different result? If you're reading all the registers at once in a single sequential read operation, you could check to see if the chip ID ever comes back garbled, or if the status register says the device is doing something when the data indicates bad values. You could also try sending the reset code and waiting a second for it to reset before taking a sample, just to see if the device is getting into some weird internal state over time.

JawnV6 posted:

I think Sagebrush and Oreos are correct. But just for my curiosity, what's "-30C" look like on the wire before any of your conditioning or adjustment?
Thanks. It's hooked up with I2C. I think it's sampling in normal mode, at least I don't remember switching it. I'd probably need to review the code as it's been a while, as well as investigate the library which is supposedly a wrapper over Bosch reference implementation. Unfortunately of course this hides a lot of what's really going on there from me, so this might be a great opportunity to finally bust out my ebay logic analyzer. Hopefully I'll have a bit more time this week to mess with this so I'll post an update.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I too doubt the microwave has an RTC battery. No idea what it could actually be though other than some general wonkiness in the circuit.

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks. It's hooked up with I2C. I think it's sampling in normal mode, at least I don't remember switching it. I'd probably need to review the code as it's been a while, as well as investigate the library which is supposedly a wrapper over Bosch reference implementation. Unfortunately of course this hides a lot of what's really going on there from me, so this might be a great opportunity to finally bust out my ebay logic analyzer. Hopefully I'll have a bit more time this week to mess with this so I'll post an update.

All right, too me a while but I finally got to use my $5 logic analyzer. I read from the sensor every minute and this is what it looks like on the wire:

Uh-huh well I couldn't quite figure out what's going on there yet so I clearly need to read the data sheet some more. One challenge though is that this is an intermittent problem so I need to capture a ton of these and then correlate them with the data I get. Is there any way to get the Saleae analyzer to pause the capture until the next trigger?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just received a usb 5V->12V boost converter to charge my tablet off my non-USB-C powerbank. It's looks like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-DC-5V-...ksid=m570.l1313

Supposedly it's up to 0.8-1A @ 12V which is below what the stock charger does but should've been good enough to slowly top up the battery. But actually it only supplies ~180mA when the tablet is in sleep mode and charging, and goes to just above 200 when it's on before it starts buzzing and shuts off.

I popped the cover off and part of the coil was broken off. I didn't see the missing piece anywhere so I guess it was already missing. Could this be causing the issue? I don't really know enough about how it works to know.

The chip is Feeling Technology FP6293: http://www.feeling-tech.com.tw/km-master/ezcatfiles/cust/img/img/24/fp6293v062.pdf

The chip has a configurable current limit at I=48000/R3, which is 41k so 1.17A. What is not really clear is if this limits the input current or the output, but even if it's on input, it should be ouptutting ~0.5A rather than less than 0.2.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The chipped inductor will affect it a bit but it shouldn't be enough to kill it. The fact that it's buzzing is real suspicious though, it supposedly runs at 1 MHz which should be miles away from the audible range...
The buzzing is pretty low frequency, like in the 40-100Hz range I'd say.

Ok so I noticed it says in that datasheet that the current limit function is limiting switch current, which is the peak current that runs through the switching element. That's very different from the output current, and varies based on the topology of the circuit. In the case of a common MC34063A configured in boost mode, the formula relating switch current to output current is:

Where:
Iswitch is the peak switch current
Iout is the output current
ton is the time each PWM cycle the MOSFET is on
toff is the time each PWM cycle the MOSFET is off

(Note that ton / toff is just the ratio of on-time to off-time, so just the duty cycle expressed differently.)

Depending on what PWM duty cycle it's running at, and assuming your chip has a similar relation between peak current and actual current, it's pretty easy to see how it could only be capable of outputting a few hundred mA even though the "current limit" is set much higher.

I think you got ripped off :v:

e: Running it through the other calculations for the MC34063A gives a ton/toff of 1.9 based on an input of 5V and an output of 12V, assuming saturation of 1V and diode forward voltage drop of 0.6V, which plugging in to the above gives a max possible output current of 650mA, assuming everything's perfect and this device behaves exactly the same as the MC34063A, which it definitely doesn't, so yeah :v:
Whoa, thanks for the detailed investigation! In particular, the switching vs output current makes a big difference. Of course I'm always counting on cheap ebay poo poo to disappoint me, but that said, I feel like there's something more going on here.

I don't have any tools more advanced than a multimeter, but I did just get a bunch of COB LEDs (from eby of course) and hooking this up to the smallest drew about 450mA, ~570mA with the medium and 650mA with the largest board. No buzzing or any other weirdness, so this is pretty cool as it's in the same ballpark you calculated.

Connecting it back to the tablet results in the same fail though. With it on, the current seems to first jump to around 1A before quickly falling to about 200mA (based on just watching the multimeter refresh) and starting to buzz after about 20-30secs, dropping the current to about 20mA but voltage up to 12.9V (from 12.1 or so). Okay so maybe the tablet wants to draw much more current and freaks out when it can't get it... but then when it's in sleep mode, it just goes directly to 170mA and is perfectly stable for hours.

Oh well, maybe I've just been had :v: time to throw a few bucks at another model and see if it works better.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Foxfire_ posted:

What are you using on the USB end? <= USB2 is only rated to deliver 100mA baseline, extendable up to 500mA if the device asks and receives permission to do so.

Frequently USB hosts don't actually enforce anything because it's annoying to build the circuits to do it, but 0.8A @ 12V is about 2A @ 5V, so it's not super surprising that drawing that doesn't work. It's also exceeding the spec by enough that I'd start to worry about melting insulation off cables.

They mentioned a "non-USB-C powerbank" so I assume your usual battery pack with USB-A ports. Power banks usually at least claim to support 2.1A, though in my experience it's unlikely it can actually output that much unless it's a nicer one.
It's the previous gen Xiaomi 10Ah powerbank: https://www.mi.com/en/pb10000/#params

I haven't measured it but it's pretty skookum and charges stuff very quickly. I'll see if I can test it somehow later tonight.