Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've got a device that uses a proprietary LiPo battery that's not made anymore and can't run off the AC adapter alone. I've been reading up on what I'd need to know to safely replace it with either a different LiPo with the appropriate connector wired on, or a circuit capable of regulating input such that the battery is no longer needed for operation, either from the original proprietary ac adapter or otherwise. And while I've found a number of resources, none of them fill me with enough confidence to risk this device just going at it, though I'm not sure at all if this is because they're incomplete or I'm just overthinking this.

Do any of y'all have any resources I could look at to accomplish this in a well-informed manner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

evil_bunnY posted:

What's the device? What does the lipo look like?

The WiiU Gamepad. It's a 3.7 V 1500mAh battery in a hard plastic shell, with four wires attaching to PCB, but form factor is less important than just keeping these things functional safely. They also sold a 3.6 V 2550 battery in a larger but otherwise similar shell. This Amazon listing has a pic of the OEM battery, but as they've been out of production for years it's likely just one of many no-brand replacements that'd get shipped.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I need a handful of tactile switches for some coronaprojecting, but it turns out shipping 20 switches costs as much as or more than the switches themselves (sad, but not really surprising). As I have to imagine I'm well below whatever minimum weight / volume would increase shipping costs, are there any miscellaneous components that would typically be useful to have on hand for future yet unknown projects, so I can actually get my money's worth out of the shipping costs?

Alternatively, is there anywhere better than Digikey / Mouser for buying small numbers of very specifically sized components?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Any recommendations for a surface on which to solder? I need to solder wires onto tiny smt components not attached to a circuit board and it would be real nifty if I could touch the iron to the surface I'm working on. Maybe just a blank PCB?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Dominoes posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBS3G21

Good luck with that soldering approach. Like Stack, I've been using helping hands to make adorable spider monsters. It's tedious, and the hands I have don't do a great job of staying where you leave them. Ie internal forces push them unless they're positioned just-so when you let go. And the rotating them unscrews the clips.

Flux+touch may be your friend here, depending on the size of the leads.

I just built an abomination of a breadboard resistor mesh. Planned to complete it by hand-soldering a 14-lead SMT quad op amp to jumper wires, but am too intimidated. Going to hail-mary this and hope the PCB works without testing the design first.

I was having trouble keeping the wire in place, so it was solder in one hand, iron held like a pencil, and a pinky holding up the wire. I was thinking it'd be easier if I could tape everything down to a flat surface, but I'm still a neophyte here.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I've got the former which is why I was able to do it at all. If y'all think a better version is the way to go I'll try that.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Anyone know anywhere to get cable mount RCA jacks like these that doesn't involve shipping from China? As best I can tell they don't exist anymore and I've either gotta harvest them from other cables or stick a F-F adapter on the end of a plug.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 18, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Ah gently caress, I got my plugs / jacks switched, thats what I get for thinking about plugs and jacks all day. I'm looking for female terminated ones. There's one listing in the 'frequently bought together' part of that page but they look super cheap even for a china special.

E: turns out mouser has them and I'm bad at looking.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Is there a DIY HCH preferred 3rd hand? I've got a really crappy one of the big old base w/ a magnifying glass on top variety and it sucks rear end. Not sure if I should be getting a less crappy one like this or one of those squid-like ones or what.