Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:
I did this a few years ago for a "Science with Swears" thread in GBS. It might make understanding basic electronics a little less "dry":

Let me know if you want the ones I did on vacumn tubes as well (for historical pusposes or whatever faggy things you like to do with them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING

async1ronous posted:

I wish I could vote this thread a ten, just to encourage Jairbreakr.

If the OP wishes, I can try to put down some of what I learned in College (Electronics control at BCIT) into a more obscene format. Its been awhile, but some things you nver forget, like ohms law.

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002

ejstheman posted:

Doesn't logical current flow in the opposite direction from the actual electrons? It seems like the arrow should flip directions when you change scale from "look electrons" to the abstract, line=wire level.

Its called hole flow, where you represent the current not as a flow of electrons, but as a flow of holes. That in itself confuses the hell out of people, and I'm not sure if it would help or hinder understanding.

Jailbrekr fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 8, 2008

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
BEfore I go to work, here is more than you'll ever need to know about a vacumn tube diode. Unless you're an audiophile, this is strictly historical and kinda gives you an idea of the era we evolved from.

I'll get to work on something new tonight after work, work which is, coincidentially, for a fabless chip manufacturer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002

MooglyGuy posted:

Where can I find a decent program for drawing up schematics and (bread)board layouts? I'm in the process of designing my own Z80-based computer, but using Adobe Illustrator is too slow and using a pen and paper is difficult to iterate on. A program that will prevent me from doing something loving stupid like attempting to connect Vcc to GND would be even better.

Schematic and PCB design

Kicad is an EXCELLENT open source schematic and pcb design program. I've used it for a few designs. It also produces industry standard files for when you want to get a PCB made by one of the many cut rate PCB manufacturers. Hell, even the autorouter works fairly well.

http://kicad.sourceforge.net/

Digital Simulation

Digital Works is a freeware digital simulator which is extremely easy to use and from what I've gathered, quite powerful. It won't give you netlists or generate HDL source code, but it does give you a place to experiment with logic gates, flip flops, and whatnot. If you want to design a state machine and see how it works without having to buy a breadboard, this tool will do it for you.

http://www.spsu.edu/cs/faculty/bbrown/circuits/howto.html

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
Alright, heres one. Its pretty lame because I'm just not that angry and venomous anymore....

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
Does this make me a bad person?

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002

async1ronous posted:

Needs more sex and explanation.

Ya, it was a real quick job and I wish I had put more effort like throwing in an xy graph that relates graph usage with faggotry.

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002

scholzie posted:

FYI, it's not Jairbrekr's gimmick. His are pretty good though. There was a whole thread dedicated to explaining things with foul language.

You are most correct. It was the "Science with Swears!" thread, which had some awesome lessons in it. There is a special place in my heart for the "human being refraction" lesson I did, which is t otally off topic and not being posted here.

So if anyone wants to follow suit, by all means please do so. This thread needs more sex and foul language, and my time is sadly limited right now. My job is keeping me quite busy (for a fabless chip company no less).

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002

Cyril Sneer posted:

Picked up another 6 of those panels. Hope they all work - this is gonna be a wicked project.

drat, thats almsot exactly how I designed my LED sign 18 years ago. The UCN5821 chips are almost guaranteed to be sinking the current with the power transistors driving it. Once thing to be mindful of when hooking up a microcontroller to it is that you cannot let a single row stay on too long, as the LEDs are being overdriven so as to compensate for the fact that a single row is only on 1/8th of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002

BattleMaster posted:

One FPGA is worth a hell of a lot of 74-series ICs.

Ya, but wouldn't it be fun to wirewrap all those 74-series TTL chips?