Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

There's actually a REALLY GOOD scanned copy of "Getting Started with Electronics" floating around on the intartubes that is easier to read than the printed paper copy - but if you find it, go buy the real thing from Amazon anyway, so that Forrest Mims gets his :10bux: :10bux: .

I also recommend the United States Navy Electricity & Electronics Training Series (NEETS) - its a great tutorial, and free for download (PDFs).

Electronics and kits are ADDICTIVE. I never thought I was good enough to use a soldering iron.

This is how it went, approximately in order, from June to September 2005: (click for pictures)

"Learn to Solder" kit, cheap soldering iron, blinky-LED bits
Hacked my own CVS camcorder cable
Sound detector, LED flasher
"Traffic Light" LED - and my first IC socket!
"Running Light" LED kit
PONG!
Active HF radio antenna kit - with custom power LED
Scrolling Programmable LED Display
Time to get a new soldering iron (Weller WTCPT, $30 on ebay)
Ramsey SR2C Shortwave Radio
Ten-Tec 1253 Regenerative Shortwave Radio (TONS of fun)
Time to get hardcore - Southern Cross 1 Z80-based computer
The masterpiece - Replica-1 Apple I clone

(I also picked up a couple of microcontrollers to play with; a BASIC Stamp kit and an Atmel AVR Butterfly)

There's nothing quite as fun as powering up a project when its done and hearing Radio Taiwan, or plugging in a keyboard and old monochrome monitor and programming in BASIC on a system that you built yourself from the ground up:

Since late '05, I've also built a couple of CMoy headphone amplifiers and a Linkwitz crossfeed box.

I've had to temporarily give up my workbench (it also serves as the dining room table), but when I get it back I've got a P112 Z80 single-board computer kit in a box waiting to be touched in sensitive places with a hot metal stick.

Edit: When it comes to solder, there is no god other than Kester, unless it is the false god of lead-free solder (which sucks to work with).

In four months, I went from this (having never touched a soldering iron before):

To this (GET YOURSELF A LIGHTED MAGNIFYING DESK LAMP AND DECENT SOLDERING IRON) -
I did the two bottom rows and the vertical row on the right, of header pins:

mrbill fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 15, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

Also recommended: Practical Electronics for Inventors. I have a copy, it rocks and has all the info I need for my basic / intermediate projects.

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

Cuw posted:

Yeah you kinda need a dmm to calibrate your dmm though...

I got a free one that was good enough for basic use, when I ordered the Z80 SBC kit - a lot of electronics supply houses have "free gift for order over $X" deals. Even then, a most basic DMM is no more than $20.

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

I now have a Tek 453 scope on the way. :dance:

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

scholzie posted:

Did you get it on ebay? I was looking at one of those auctions and it was ending soonish.

Nah. One of the websites I run trades advertising space for equipment from vendors of the market it supports; I found out that one of the vendors also has a test equipment division so they're sending me a 453 instead of another computer this year. :)

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

Wisdom posted:

I notice Radio Shack sells these. Is this a good kit to use to get into the hobby?

I've got one, it's fun to play with but I really recommend starting out with something like the Atmel AVR Butterfly.

Smiley Micros sells a great kit with everything you'll need for $99 (same price as the BASIC Stamp kit) including a C Programming for Microcontrollers book.

I bought the plain Butterfly from them in 2005; they didn't offer the "everything" kit then.

Edit: Yay Macro Photography

mrbill fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

A Tutorial for Starting with ATMEL AVR Microcontrollers

This is pretty good.