Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Can I ask a stupid question? I'd like to add an extra output to my dac, but I'm unsure if just placing the new one parallel to the existing one is a good idea. Wouldn't that efficitively halve the amplitude of the signal on both outputs?

I feel like I have to do something with opamps, but I don't know if that's the correct path to take :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

Nope, remember, paralleled circuits have the same voltage but half the current. This means that if you take your output and connect it to parallel outputs A and B, each one has an impedance twice that of the original output - meaning less current available.

However, most stuff these days has pretty high input impedance and you should not appreciably load the circuit. I would recommend placing 1k resistors or something similar in line with each paralleled output to give better isolation.

If you want an active solution, just get a single-rail dual opamp and build a pair of voltage followers - + input is signal, - input is connected to the opamp output. If it's stereo, just make a pair of circuits, one for L, one for R.

Thanks for the concise answer! I think I'll build some voltage followers, just for the fun of it :).

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Comrade Milton posted:

I didn't even know how to phrase what I didn't know, so Google wasn't of much use.

Come on dude, even typing in 'led resistor' has calculators as the first results.

jovial_cynic posted:

Dual powersupply confusion.

Tangent has a good write-up on splitting powersupplies and virtual ground.

pim01 fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 21, 2008

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

mtwieg posted:

Reply if you're interested in this. I'd rather not start on such an endeavor unless there is some demand.

Ooh, I'd be interested in the switching power supply one. Any one will be nice though - it's always nice to learn more!

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

mtwieg posted:

Now for something different: Switching supply theory

Great explanation, thanks!

Slightly related question: I'd like to measure ripple/switching noise from a power supply (because it's making one of my amps have a terribly high noise floor). I don't have an oscilloscope, and the scope at work broke. I do have some audio visualization software I wrote, which I can easily modify to use for more general 'scoping prurposes. To use my soundcard's input, I guess I'll have to bring the voltage down to line level, say 1 or 2 volts. Will using a resistor devider still allow me to make somewhat useful measurements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

mtwieg posted:

And ripple will not cause noise. If you're seeing true white noise, then it's not due to ripple, since ripple is a specific signal, with a certain characteristic spectrum. It might cause ripple to on some of your circuits, but not actual noise.

SnoPuppy posted:

Also, how do you know your noise floor is higher without access to a scope? It could very well be a ground loop introducing the noise. Ripple wouldn't show up as broad band noise - just some wide-ish spikes in the spectrum.

Well, colour me educated. I'll have to troubleshoot some more for the cause of my noise-issues, then. Thanks :).

Still going to measure the things, just for the learning experience. I'll try removing the DC component with a big capacitor, hadn't thought of that option.