Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

clredwolf posted:

I think that's the purpose of having CE and EE separate, but it's not a great seperation if you ask me. Digital stuff is absolutely everywhere and everyone in EE needs at least a little exposure to digital technology at this point. From what I count though, here are the EE 'disciplines':

-Power Systems
-Computer Systems
-RF/Analog Systems
-Signal Processing
-Semiconductor Design
-Optoelectronics and Photonics
-Control Systems
-Robotics
-Bioelectronics

And I'm sure I'm missing a few. There's alot of cross-breeding between those fields though, so maybe it's best that EEs not be split up? Cuw is right though, there's no way anyone can master 'Electrical Engineering' as a whole in 4 or even 6 years.

CE is Civil Engineering, CompE/CmpE is Computer Engineering, EECE is Electrical and Computer Engineering (usually in the same department but different majors).

The first thing anyone should know about digital electronics, is that it doesn't really exist. There is no such thing as a digital electronics engineer because anything digital is really just a bunch of analog poo poo that passes signals above and below a threshold. The faster the clock speed the more analog stuff you need to know.

Splitting EE disciplines up wouldn't work. Everyone starts out taking the same courses: Physics, Calc (all of them), Chemistry, circuit theory, electronics, statistics, basic classes from Mechanical/Chemical/Industrial engieering, C programming then you specialize in one or two of those disciplines. As a BS student, one is plenty. You don't even start the specialty until the third year.

Side note:

If you're at all serious about getting started in electronics, you need this book:
http://books.google.com/books?id=bk...-with-thumbnail

It's incredible, has great examples, and some reference circuits you can just use straight from the book. It also helps you pick out the right parts for what you're doing, which may seem a bit mysterious at first. It explains some basic theory too, so you can use this one book as a starting point.

I'll post a project I've done recently as soon as I can get the video up on Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU