Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

ANIME AKBAR posted:

You can bet that they had a very specific application (possibly a single large customer) in mind when they decided on these specs.

How do you think I knew about that particular PMIC? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Honestly I’m sort of surprised Sn10/Pb90 is even a thing you can get. I would think a BGA solder ball made of 90% lead would get into “not compatible with RoHS” territory and therefore not super marketable, but my company is adamant about as-close-to-zero-lead-as-possible so maybe that’s coloring my perception.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Nordics are good but yeah their big market niche is ultra low power wearable RF applications. Other than that: NXP’s Kinetis line is something I’ve used before with outstanding documentation, I’ve looked a little bit into Ambiq but haven’t had to dive into any of their support tools or deep into the documentation. A couple years ago I looked at a Cortex M by Dialog - this was before Apple bought some (or all?) of Dialog Semi - and it was fiiiine but not great and I didn’t end up using it for long.

From what I’ve seen the STM32s are the main Cortex M line that is mega hosed right now and of all the big names I can’t figure out why they seem to be worse off than everyone else :shrug:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

ante posted:

Tesla doesn't necessarily use auto-grade parts - I believe they do use a lot of STM32s.

There’s a strong argument to be made that whatever Tesla is doing it has gently caress-all to do with automotive quality.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Love to have design meetings where we update a single component in existing designs with four alternates from three different vendors :smith:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I heard somewhere, maybe this thread, that it was to poach engineers from the semiconductor industry in Texas and to avoid having to deal with the Great Lakes Compact for water usage, which will obviously be a big deal in the not too distant future.

At least in theory the abundance of solar power means they could probably run desalination at a reasonable rate :shrug:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Cojawfee posted:

Desalination of what? Are they going to build a pipeline from the pacific ocean?

Hey you never know. At some point that might be the only economical option for getting water to the interior of the US and Canada :v:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Dominoes posted:

Has anyone used a component that has a footprint that surrounds the others? There doesn't appear to be room for vias between the pads. Is this right, where the vias are in the pads? There doesn't appear to be another way:

The footprint is called HCLGA. I made the footprint myself using dimensions from the datasheet. This is for a ST PDM mic. I haven't encountered anything like this before!

I’ve seen this sort of thing solved on high density BGA parts with no practical way to route out from the inner pads using smaller diameter vias or blind vias. Not something I’d do as a hobbyist though, I’m pretty sure OSH Park straight up does not support blind or buried vias. Try setting your via diameter as small as your fab will let you and see how that goes.

I suppose you could also design the footprint so the ground ring has a gap to run small traces out, but I don’t know if or how that would affect this particular part.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
lol Jameco sent this ad today:

Ah yes, a collector’s edition that changes the form factor of a product perhaps most famous for its consistent form factor :hmmyes:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I’m looking at getting my bench at home kitted out with better equipment so I can pursue more work-from-home tasks and not have to go into the office for the equipment, and also to go off on my own projects for which I “can’t” use the company stuff. The major piece of kit that I don’t have a good lead on is a digital ammeter that has single-microamp resolution. Most of the Chinese panel mount ammeters I’ve seen all seem to revolve around a 10mA resolution which is way too high for what I’m working with, MEMS sensors in wearables mostly. If I’ve got an accelerometer pulling 10mA then I won’t have to cry for it…it’s already dead.

I don’t have any personal experience for what’s out there so any and all recommendations would be welcome. Panel mount would be spiffy to save on precious desk space but a discrete unit would be fine too. It would be nice to have math features like averaging on board, though I could handle that myself if the unit can interface to a PC. Budget-wise I’d like to keep it under $500 USD. Any thoughts?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

ante posted:

Have you looked into a µCurrent? It could be built into whatever panel mount solution you already have in mind

Ooh, no I haven’t. This is the first I’ve heard of them. I’m used to current measurement with big fat Agilent boxes with more buttons than God. Too bad the drat things don’t appear to be in stock anywhere. Guess I’d have to make one :v:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Cojawfee posted:

Veristasium is fun but he often hides the real answer to his questions so he can gotcha later. Most recently was his electric field one where he left out the units of the correct answer which technically made it wrong.

Was that the “how long will it take the light bulb to light up with one light-second of wire in circuit but the bulb and battery are only a foot apart” video?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I'm pretty sure what Scarodactyl pictured is this model, AmScope SM-1TZ

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

One Legged Ninja posted:

Theoretically. After three months of shipping. For $10+ a piece.

Yay, global shortages!

This is true for the 328 specifically, but there are still plenty of ATTiny and some lesser-used ATMega parts available. Digikey’s showing a few ATMega variants in DIP in stock this morning.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

VelociBacon posted:

mains wiring question

You should post this question in the Wiring Thread - there some overlap in posters but this thread is largely about hobby electronics and not house wiring.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
My hands get shaky too and it affects my soldering. A few thoughts on that in no particular order:

You definitely want at least an iron holder so you can rest your hand.

A lot of solder joints can be as simple as apply flux, touch iron, touch solder, off. Less than five seconds in one place. I can usually get my hand chilled out enough to make that happen. Some joints, particularly large through-holes on big fat ground planes, take longer to properly heat up for a good joint.

Reflow and surface mount can be a good solution but don’t underestimate the amount of coordination it can take to get small components on their pads and then get the board moved to the oven. I’ve bumped boards or knocked them against something after going to a fair amount of effort in placement and it sucks. e: what Foxfire said above. I use a hot plate.

Bottom line though, try a kit and see! It’s a fun hobby.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
*gently cradles large collection of deadbug ATtiny4313s*

soon my pretties, soon

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I overheard an EE at work saying they had to make a board revision for something already in mass production because the FET supplier couldn't come through. Just a plain ol' transistor (albeit in a CSP). That's some real poo poo :smith:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

PBCrunch posted:

it would be so gratifying to alert the cops and see these creeps get arrested

lol at the idea that cops will help

Your best approach (barring actually locking the doors and not keeping valuables in plain sight) is to get a fake ADT sign and illuminate the area with a floodlight. You’ll be better protected than people who do not have those things thus making your cars a less desirable target.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
For something that large I've had good luck rubber-banding it into place before tacking down a couple of legs

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Pollyanna posted:

Now I gotta design some circuits for them. This is still in the OP but oh my lord is it jank, any chance there's a nicer piece of software out there now? My own stuff isn't gonna be anything more complex than what I can fit on a piece of stripboard.

EDIT: Fritzing works!

Bit of a learning curve but Kicad 6 is good and free and possibly way overkill for what you want to do right now

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

cruft posted:

Nobody wants any of my crap, eh? LOL.

PM sent :v:

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe we should just set up some sort of thing that allows goons to list random stuff they have and are willing to send to others if they need it.

That’s a fantastic idea imo

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Buy a variety pack of JST-PH headers and sockets, a reel of 1000 pins, a crimper, and never want for connectors again!

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Looks good! If one of those caps is a decoupler for U1 you’ll probably want to move it a lot closer to the IC pin. Those traces should be kept very short.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Splode posted:

You can fix any shorts after soldering with an iron if you have a fine tip, but it is indeed not practical to solder QFNs with an iron.

Practical no, doable yes if your PCB’s pads stick out a little past the package. I’ve handsoldered MSP430s in TQFN on a PCB that I designed and made sure would work for it…but like, a total of three of them over the course of a couple months. I’d never handsolder something like that at any sort of scale.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Soldering jobs, coding jobs, drawing jobs, construction jobs, cooking jobs…

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Lead-free solder is haram for hobbyists. Solder with lead, die with brain damage but put on your tombstone that there were loving fine joints in your self-balancing robot. Fair trade :colbert:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Just browsing that PDF and I would like to note that

quote:

PERST# is deasserted high

is the product of a sick mind. Just name the pin /RESET if you're going to do this backwards-rear end logic.

Signed, a software engineer who has gotten burned more than once by EEs naming their signals ambiguously or flat out wrongly :mad:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I haven't used Eagle but yeah, another vote for KiCad. It's the only one I've used for my hobby work over the years and KiCad 7 is pretty drat good.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Being unable to just make multipage schematics without going through forced hierarchy is the worst part of KiCad ime, but I’m a pretty simple user so it rarely actually comes up :shrug:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

roomforthetuna posted:

Perhaps someone can answer the question in this simple form - if you have a servo and the datasheet suggests it expects a signal like the top graph and you give it a signal like the bottom graph, what would you expect to happen?

The servo’s little internal driver expects a 50Hz waveform (top). If you hand it a 100Hz waveform (bottom) that’s definitely going to be out of spec. I’d expect it might twitch, at most.

source: currently working on a project with a dozen cheapass sg90 servos which don’t do poo poo if driven out of spec and barely do poo poo when driven in spec :v:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

What the gently caress, I work for Garmin in core engineering and I had no idea we sold components like this :psyduck:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
What is it you actually want to sense? Exhaust fumes? The sound of a running engine? How recently a vehicle arrived (which could be a function of engine block temperature)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Brown-out Detector