Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
I need to control a solenoid from a microcontroller. The solenoid will need up to 1.8A. Is this a suitable MOSFET to use? STM STD50NH02L

I'm looking at the graphs and it looks like it will be fine. The micro will output 5V and the solenoid will be on a 12V supply. So Vgs is 5V and Vds is 12V, correct?.

Looking at Figure 3, the thing can output huge amperage at my operating voltages, so everything seems fine. However, Figure 2 is throwing me off. I still seem to be operating below the curve, but I'm not sure what the labels (100us, 1ms, 10ms) mean. Does this mean I can't run this switch continuously at Vgs = 5V, Vds = 12V, and Id = 1.8A?

Also, is there something more suitable/standard for this application? Cost is an issue, so if there's a cheaper way to accomplish this, I would love to know about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

The Radiskull posted:

there is talk on the microcontroler discussion about dc motor switching etc. The same circuits would be ideal for the job of a solenoide too. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734710 the spec of the std50nho2 seems a little overkill.

Indeed it was. It seems the TIP120 is better suited. Thanks for the heads up!

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
I'm designing a circuit to power electronics on an older snowmobile. The voltage output by the machine varies from about 6V to 16V depending on RPM. Here's my current plan:

Voltage from the snowmobile-->rectifier-->filter-->5V regulator-->charge pump(x3)-->12V regulator.

Here's my reasoning. I need 12V to power accessories but the 12V regulator (7812) needs 14.6V input to maintain line regulation. The 7805 only requires 7.5V. This way, the circuit will work as long as the snow machine is outputting 7.5V, which it should most of the time.

My problem is that I can't find a charge pump IC that can output 15V and supply 200-300mA. Does anybody know of one? If I built a charge pump from basic components, would it be easy to meet my requirements?

On top of all that, is there a simpler solution that I'm missing? What I want is a nice regulated 12V supply that will work over the greatest possible voltage input range with expected values being between 6V and 16V.

Thanks for any help.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

catbread.jpg posted:

One solution would be to use a buck-boost converter, controlled to a fixed output voltage of 15V.

Voltage from the snowmobile-->rectifier-->filter-->buck/boost-->12V regulator.

That will work all the time.

There we go, there is something out there that I've never heard of that offers up a great solution. I'm not sure if I'll need to add the 12V regulator but I can if I have to. It's pretty simple and I have access to some 7812s.

Thanks for your help, catbread and Mill Town.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
I'm trying to play around with sound generation with dsPICs. Does anyone have suggestions for a DIY friendly audio DAC/codec I can use?

I'm looking for:
-I2S compatible
-16 bit or more
-24-48kHz
-SOIC or DIP package

I have a MAX5556 DAC that I planned on using, but it needs a 256xFs master clock signal and I have no idea how to build a clock circuit, never mind a stable one.

In the past I used a Burr Brown PCM3001 with success, but it doesn't seem to be working any longer. It sat in a sandwich bag full of components for two years. I would get a new one, but it's 28 pin SSOP and I had a bitch of a time soldering the first one. On top of that, I no longer have access to the nice soldering iron I used last time.

Thanks for any help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

BattleMaster posted:

Some dsPICs have built-in audio DACs. It might be worth it just to get one of those. You'll also need a crystal that has a frequency 256 times the sampling rate you want to use.

Hmm, I never noticed that because I've never looked at the 33F range. Unfortunately they don't make one in 40-pin DIP. I'll just have to work with 28 pins. Thanks!

EDIT: 3 sample DSPIC33FJ128GP802s on the way!

Mr. DNA fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 20, 2010