Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
DC is far, far easier to work with.
At my school, we were encouraged to:
A) Book a lab that had variable DC power supplies
B) Use 9 volt batteries, possibly alongside a 5 volt regulator if we were working with digital stuff, or
C) Use the power supplies that we designed and manufactured as a term project.

Option A probably isn't available to you, and option C took a couple months to build and $80 in parts.
Option B just sucks.

What a classmate of mine started doing out of frustration at our limited options, was just using a cellphone charger.
Buy a 5v cellphone charger at a mall or something, shouldn't cost more than $10. Then, just split the output wire. Put them in banana jack output plugs or something from radio shack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Delta-Wye posted:

I'm thinking about building a metronome, and shopping for some components. Has anybody had any experience with little LCD character modules? (http://www.lumex.com/product.aspx?id=463) The datasheets are wonderfully vague. I was hoping to drive the characers with digital i/o ports like a 7 segment display (but using less power, hence LCD) but it claims it wants 5V AC. Does this have to be true AC? would rapidly switching DC be alright? does this mean 0-5V or -5-5V? So many unanswered questions, and I really don't feel like ordering one to blow up experimenting with/decide it won't meet my requirements.

It needs -5 to 5 for it not to die in a couple weeks.
The way that I did it in class was to use an XOR gate for each of the LCD's pins.
Something like this:

You'll need a gate for each of the 8 LCD inputs (A-G, and DP if you want it), so two XOR chips.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Bush is a QT posted:

All of you guys are really reminding me about my Electronic Devices class. It's the class where you learn a lot a transistors and stuff. I just had one problem with it.

All of the lessons were so loving biased

I'm very sorry for the really bad joke.

You're supposed to say that you couldn't resist

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

1/2 1/4 1/8 watt carbon filter resistors?

That number corresponds to the maximum power that you can put through the resistor before it'll burn out.
Power = Voltage drop over the resistor * Current

These formulas won't necessarily mean anything until you really get into building a circuit. And for the vast majority of your starter projects, 1/8W resistors should be fine.

ante fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 18, 2008

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What's the difference between unipolar and bipolar motors?

I'm looking for a cheap reversible motor that can run off 9VDC, doesn't need to go more than 10RPM or so.
What are my options?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Ok, what are these called, and where can I get/make a custom one?

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Is it just another form of ribbon cable?

I need to use one in a project I'm tinkering around with that I'll post up here when(if) I finish.

ante fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 9, 2008

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

mtwieg posted:

Okay I'm narrowing down the topics a bit. After thinking about it, AVR tutorials would be really involved, and people likely won't be interested in ASM, and I doubt I could do a much better job than some of the existing tutorials out there. And resonance oscillators would only make sense to people who already have a firm grounding in EE, so that's out.

So the options so far, with some more details:
1. Signal filters/effects, with an emphasis on audio stuff (but small signal conditioning, not power amplifiers). Covers things like clipping, clamping, tone control, simple graphic EQ, phasing, wah, rectification, envelope detectors, etc.
2. Transistor stuff. Covers basic theory and a couple different transistor models, different devices (mosfets, jfets, bjts) and circuits like class A, class B, and class AB amplifiers, differential pairs (by the end you would understand the internals of an operational amplifier), current mirrors, current sources, voltage references, etc.
3. Eagle cad tutorial. Covers how to make schematics and layouts, how to easily make your own library components, and general methodology for laying out circuits (star grounds, ground planes, loop area, component packages, heatsinks, etc)

Again, I'll wait for several people to vote before getting started.

Definitely transistors.
My transistor course this term is taught by a horrible teacher :smith:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

SovietSpyGuy posted:

What kind of decoders/encoders?
Just standard 3 to 8 decoders are pretty useful, along with their encoder counterparts.
It's probably not a good idea to stock up on dozens of chips if you don't know that you'll have a use for them, though. Some of them you'll never find a need for, and they'll just sit in your drawer, taking up space. There are thousands of chips that do almost anything you need if you have a specific use in mind.

I've got a pretty complete collection of the basics, but I was working on a project a couple months ago that require as compact a PCB as I could get. I needed to count up to an eleven-bit number, and run some logic off that. What I didn't want to do was to use two 393 counter chips and a 555 because of the size requirements.
After a bit of googling I found one chip that that does both of those. It's a timer/11-bit counter.

The point is, find a good electronics store nearby that you can do runs to whenever you need something in particular.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Solaron posted:

I'm looking for the smallest IC/speaker to make a beeping noise. I'd like to mess around with making something (similar to the keyfob on a car where you push a button and a receiver beeps).

The item I'd be using this on is rather small, so I'm trying to find my options. If I'm confusing (which is quite possible), PM me for details.

Here's what I've found, which should work actually: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=7950

Can I run this from a small battery, like a watch battery? I wouldn't have connected power.

I don't know for sure how long the battery will last, but I think should be fine.
Watch batteries can be either ~1.5v or 3v. Make sure you get the 3v variety.

The buzzer also needs an AC input, so maybe look into a low power 555 timer, or a couple transistors in an oscillator circuit.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Grand_High_Took posted:

Any thoughts?

Some apartment buzzing systems don't need a valid number on the landline, just the phone itself. Someone I know has a phone in his apartment with no plan or anything on it, its sole purpose is to buzz people in.
I'd look into that, first.

If you have to hack the hardware could you post a link to the datasheet of the chip you have to emulate?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Get something that makes a noise, like a child's toy, short circuit stuff, see what happens!

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

csammis posted:

This gives me pause: http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/SoftwareSerial - it sounds like the API has some serious drawbacks. Would a different platform be a better way to go?

That's a library designed to use more than two pins for serial communication.

You'd wire up the Arduino according to this, connecting each Tx and Rx pin to each other.

Because of that, you wouldn't have to use that library, so you'd have none of the associated drawbacks. Use this instead.

Arduino will work fine for your project.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
No, looks good to me.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
There are plenty of hole in the wall electronics stores around if you know where to look.

Just through asking around, I've found five in Vancouver, all good for different things.

One has walls covered in switches like those mentioned above, one has dirt cheap resistors, one has all the CMOS chips I need, that kind of thing.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Where should I get started with microcontrollers once I get the very basics of electronics down?

PIC v AVR? What's the difference? Do they have good beginner kits (I think PIC has PICKit 2).

I've become a big fan of the Arduino board, which I found through the forums.

Basically a $40 board that comes with a pre-flashed AVR that you can program using C. It's a very good stepping stone to programming AVRs that doesn't require any hardware other than a USB cable.

(after you get comfortable with that, you can flash your own AVRs using a homemade cable made with three resistors, a piece of wire, and a sliced up parallel-serial adapter)

edit: On the other hand, the only local AVR distributors sell them for about $10, while I've seen PICs for $3

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Thanks guys. I still have a very limited knowledge of microcontrollers, so bare with me please.

Arduino has its own C compiler. The board and the official site make it really really easy to get into.

You download the software, install the driver(just double click it!), and plug in the board. That's it.

Other AVR setups or PICs may have advantages or disadvantages, but you're certainly not locked into the Arduino once you start using it, it's just a great way to learn.

One thing I'm planning on doing in the near future is getting a few PICs and learning assembly with them. I'm going to need to be able to accurately control how many clock cycles everything takes for a project coming up.

If I jumped right into that, it'd be pretty tough, though. Even wiring everything up can be a hassle sometimes, and it'd all be on breadboards.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Decided I want to start with the Arduino as it's cheap, open, and want to practice my C.

What should I get to start with? Also, what's with all the "shield" stuff?

The Duemilanove is the basic one, just get that.

The shields add functionality like bluetooth, internet(wtf), stuff like that.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'll go through the analogy I use.

Keep in mind that voltage is not an absolute value. It is a potential from one point to another, point A with respect to point B.

Picture a mountain. On that mountain, imagine a single point. That point has an elevation, but elevation is not absolute. It's measured in metres above sea level. That's the height of the point with respect to the height of the sea.
So, 300 metres above sea level, 10 volts from the positive terminal to the negative terminal. Same thing.

On that mountain, there is a stream going from one point to another. It travels from the higher altitude to the lower one (+ voltage to -), and the amount of water going along that stream is the current. Pressure, I guess.
Assuming ideal conditions, the source of the stream can supply infinite pressure, so don't worry about that part.

Because of this, the pressure of the river depends on how wide it is. The wider it is, the lower the resistance, the more water flows along it.
By the same token, the steeper the slope is, the more water will flow through.

If you look at the mountain dead on, it'll look something like this:

The equivalent circuit is something like this:

The parts of the river that are very wide are wire, no resistance, no voltage drop across them.

The drop in altitude/voltage across each element depends the familiar Ohm's law, and all that.

If you get a break in the river, no water is flowing, so the potential to flow is the same all along that stagnant water.

An open circuit is the exact opposite of a short circuit.
With no resistance, the river is infinitely wide, so an infinitely large amount of water is try to push through.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Aluminum Record posted:

Someone also once posted a little project of turning a computer power supply into a bench top hobby supply with a bunch of different outputs. Anyone remember it? I think it may have been posted separate of this thread, probably in the archives by now. Maybe a good reason for me to finally buy access.

Can you remember a thread title, author, or even a thread icon?

Shouldn't be particularly hard, though. They already have a couple different outputs.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What about using a device-tracking directional antenna?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Just attach a head to the pot that has a peg hits something on the chassis at 90'.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You can use this example to do what you want:
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/DirectDriveLEDMatrix

Use some latching chips to expand it past the normal pin capacity, and treat each colour like a separate grid, I guess.

Does that make sense, or should I elaborate a little?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Some of the literature for the XBee I've seen indicates that it can handle around 9.6kbps of throughput.

That's enough to send voice. Many Ventrilo servers use less than that. It won't be very high quality, though.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
gently caress the FCC.

Actually, that's a good idea. It's even legal if you just use walkie talkie(49MHz) or CB(27MHz) frequencies.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Quartus can do it. Create a block/schematic file.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You want software that can generate gate logic based on inputs/outputs that you specify?

I know that there is stuff on the web that can give you an equation that's usually pretty similar to something you could come up with by hand.
It's not very hard to draw that out with the proper symbology.

A better solution is to do it yourself/learn how to do it yourself, though.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Arduinos board have a 16MHz crystal in them when you buy them, and they're only rated to about 20MHz.

There are way faster microcontrollers out there.

Here's a handy guide, if you don't mind using PICs. If you use an external clock, you can go up to 120MHz.
Atmel doesn't have a comprehensive list like that, unfortunately, but I think they're generally limited to 32MHz.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Exitlights posted:

Would a faster clock be enough to produce a faster serial connection? Or is there some limitation imposed on the computer's end for receiving serial data? Since I'm looking at using my laptop, I'd be using some sort of USB->RS232 thing.

You might have to write your own handshake protocol, but serial connections are very simple.
The original RS232 standard had an upper limit of around 20 kbps, but that little dongle you're using should go up to 1.2Mbps, according to a datasheet I found. (:aaa:)

clredwolf posted:

There are some ready-made solutions, but they tend to be expensive or bulky. How big is this RC boat?

A really, really easy solution might be to use a Netbook (Nano-ITX board might work too) and a Webcam, and beam the signal over 802.11. Heck, hook up the netbook to an Arduino and write a nice control program.

Going much smaller will be hard, but it's not impossible, especially if you don't mind craptacular image quality. You can even beam the video signal as analog, which might be much easier (don't quote me on that).

If you're using 802.11 with Arduino, you'll probably be using the XBee module, which is pretty slow, I hear.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What do you have in mind?

Get some concrete plans, first. Draw out a top-down view of the project you want to build. Include all of the doodads.

When you're done that, you can post it here, and we'll point you in the right direction.

Oh, and here's a suggestion: if you put an offset weight on the shaft of a little DC motor, it'll move the project box around.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

jovial_cynic posted:

I'm picking up a datalogger (logomatic v2), which can take in 8 analog signals, and using it to pull data from various signals from my car. The only problem I'm having is with trying to figure out how to get RPMs pulled in.

My first thought was to put together some kind of counter circuit to pull a number of pulses from the coil per some unit of time, and then use some kind of converter to turn the RPM number into voltage (500 volts = .05v; 6,500 = .65 volts).

Is there a cleaner way to do this? And if this is actually a good way to do this, can someone point me to particular chips or schematics that would work for something like this?

If you measure the impedance of a known inductor or capacitor, you can figure out the frequency of the voltage across it. XL = 2ᴨfL and all that. With your analog inputs, you should be able to get some ballpark figure.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

ACanofPepsi posted:

It scares me to have the thing with batteries in, wired to my electronics while also plugged into the wall. Like I said, I'm new to batteries and wiring power in general. I'm sure my fears are unfounded. I'd also like to be able to just pop in a new battery and keep shooting, while leaving my dead battery in another charger against a wall somewhere.
These kinds of fears are good to have. They keep you cautious. You don't fry as many components that way.
This method sounds a lot easier to me, too. Both in the execution and in function.

quote:

Is there an online beginners guide for this kind of thing? I'm having a hell of a time finding useful results with Google.

If you're using a charger to connect the battery to the rig, just open it up and take a look inside. You won't need most of the circuitry, that's for rectifying the AC and stuff. Just figure out where the common and 12v connections are and wire those to your LCD.
Get a multimeter, too.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

ozziegt posted:

I want to build a peak hold module. This is the setup:

I have an input from a sensor, and it is sent to an electronic gauge that comes with the sensor. It's an analog signal AFAIK (3 wires...hopefully it's analog?). Most of the time the gauge just needs to show what it gets from the sensor. However I am going to store the peak value and when a switch is flipped, the gauge needs to show the peak value instead.

I guess there are two ways to implement this:

1) Passively monitor the sensor data, and when the switch is flipped, bypass the sensor signal and output my own signal to the gauge. This way the gauge is normally reading directly from the sensor.

2) Instead of passively monitoring the signal, I actually take the signal and do my own output based on the signal. In other words, I play "man in the middle" and the output is always coming from me, and I am either replicating the sensor data or replacing it with my own value.

Which approach would be better? I prefer #1 because I am only mucking with the signal when I want to show the peak value, however I have no idea how to build the circuit to "flip" the signal. I kind of have a better idea of how to do #2, I think. Maybe use a BJT to output my own signal?

Anyway, help! Or tell me where I can go for some help or how I can get started.

What's your setup for transmitting the peak value, if you've gotten that far?

I don't see any reason you'd go with #2. The sensor is always transmitting data, and your device is always sending the peak value, the switch would just toggle which one connects to the gauge.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What microcontroller are you using? You'll need some sort of DAC, and many microcontrollers come with them.
If yours doesn't, no biggy. External DACs are usually better anyway.

Either way, you'll need one.

You'll also need to figure out how the sensor works. It will either generate current or, more likely, have a variable resistance. Play around with it using a multimeter if you have one. It should act just like a potentiometer. One of the leads should be the pole, and the resistance between the other two leads will always be constant.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

ozziegt posted:

e: nvm, I think I understand...I just need to output the same voltage that the sensor would output when given the proper input voltage. Right?
Right.

ozziegt posted:

My understanding is that the gauge is controller with a stepper motor. Does that change anything?

Possibly. It's probably fine if it has controller circuitry, but double-check that the microcontroller isn't going to be directly driving the motor. That'll burn it pretty fast.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Could you make four intersecting bars close in on the neck of the bottle, locking it in place? That should probably centre it well enough to drop a funnel into it.

edit: or some sort of lasso, you could drive that with a single stepper

ante fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 17, 2009

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

greg_graffin posted:

Quick question for somebody just getting into building circuits. I'm trying to make a 555 circuit to flash a pair of LEDs, but I can't even get the LEDs to light up. I'd like to know if I built it correctly. Also, any breadboard layout tips?

I'm working off this schematic:

Click here for the full 1199x696 image.

My breadboard looks like this:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

1. Looks like pin 4 should be going to Vcc, not ground.
2. What's going on with the LED on the far left? Looks like it's getting shorted to ground.
3. Your resistor values are all different than the schematic. That might be intentional if you're playing around with different frequencies.
4. You are... Powering the circuit, right?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Dassiell posted:

Also I can't tell from here, make sure your LEDs are the right way, they are polarized. Anyway, I am looking for a basic cell jammer schematic, any idea where I can find one?

Bottom's definitely in right, but that's true, can't tell for the top.

Cell jammers are illegal in most places :ssh:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

nobody- posted:

I'm interested in building a high voltage, low current power supply so I can make my own ozone generator like this guy did with a cold cathode driver:
http://www.bigclive.com/oz.htm

I've already made one with a cold cathode driver from a dead flatbed scanner, but what's the fun in using something pre assembled? I'd like to put one of these power supplies together on my own so I can tinker with it.

I built the 555-based inverter described on this page http://joshua.raleigh.nc.us/LM555-inverter/ and while it does a nice job lighting up electroluminescent wire, I don't get the nifty corona discharge and ozone like the scavenged cold cathode driver produces. I assume this is because it does not produce as high a voltage as the cold cathode driver. Is there any way I can modify this circuit to output higher voltage, like by modifying the frequency at which it runs, or is the winding ratio of my transformer the limiting factor? I noticed on the cold cathode driver, the transformer has 5 taps on the input side (feedback windings?). I've always been rather bewildered by transformers with multiple windings and taps.

Frequency won't change the output voltage. The transformer and the input voltage are the limiters. Either get a different transformer or raise the DC voltage powering the 555.
In both cases, make sure that you check the 555's datasheet. It has limits in both what kind of current it can drive, and what input voltage it can take. There are many different kinds of 555s with many different specs.

macpod posted:

I'm working on building a tiny lightweight gps tracker that charges and interfaces over usb. To power it I want to use lipo batteries.

I expected there to be quite a few single chip/supporting simple component solutions out there for 3.3v devices because of digital cameras/pdas, etc, but all I seem to find are qfn, llp, etc package solutions.

Do any of you know of a chip that would fit the bill for a 3.3v system? I'm looking for:
-Is not qfn, llp, etc packaged (It is possible to solder without a hot air gun or hot plate)
-Charges a single cell via USB, preferrably higher than 100mA
-has a built in 3.3v ldo regulator for components that at an absolute, but unlikely MAX use say...200mA.
-indicates charge states (charging/done charging is good enough)
-protects battery from over/under voltage + is smart enough to limit itself if the charging IC gets too hot.
-has low battery indicator
-if possible power the device in an uninterrupted manner when switching from battery/usb power.

I see quite a few solutions for charging.. and quite a few solutions for power management, but I must not be looking for the correct terms since I can't seem to find a chip that does both.

You're looking for a one-chip solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
No