Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

When I'm wiring up an N-channel mosfet to be switched by a logic input from a microcontroller, where should I locate the gate discharge resistor relative to the gate current-limiting resistor?

After:

or before?

This may be a dumb question, but where are the capacitors in the circuit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Any goon recommendations for a good mid-level bench adjustable DC power supply? I'd say 30V, 10-15A max.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Stack Machine posted:

I love 80s vintage HP gear. The boards look amazing. All the traces were gold plated before the (clear) solder mask was applied. I can't think of any reason you'd want to waste all that gold, but it looks great.

Edit: I guess this is the best photo I have of one of these boards, but just look at this thing. Those aren't bare traces:

That's gnarly looking. :v:

Thanks for the recs folks. I like the form factor of the Kungber. (I don't have a whole lot of desk space.) But no OC protection is kind of a dealbreaker. (Also, the knobs having maxs/mins is annoying.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The solution is to clean the pads first and just add fresh solder while being able to keep it flat and centered.

I dunno. I’m not even close to the most experienced person in the thread, but I’d say you really shouldn’t be putting downward pressure on components that small anyway. Just the weight of the tool should be enough to keep it in place while attempting to tack it with preexisting solder.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rescue Toaster posted:

I mean I'm not cranking on it or anything. But if the pads are completely clean, I can't exactly hold part, hold soldering iron, and apply solder all at the same time. I don't have 3 arms.

Gotta work on your mandibular dexterity. :colbert:

I have at one point held a tube of solder in my mouth with a long strand stretched out the opposite end while manipulating the soldering tip and component with my two hands. Of course, you want to hold your breath if you do this as to not suck up a big cloud of flux smoke in the process. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Man. SPD3303Xs are $550 now? :negative:

The X-Es are $400.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ryanrs posted:

Tech industry makes good on yet another sci-fi trope, high fives all around!

Naturally, the invention of exploding power cells has brought with it certain risks, but such is the price of progress. NiCds really sucked.

I was doing tech work out in Luzon, Philippines field testing some off-the-shelf equipment DoD was looking to maybe buy for use on FOBs. This included a lightweight, foldable photovoltaic panel set up with a modular LED lamp for nighttime illumination. Batteries and governor were stuffed in a pelican case with a simple connector to the PV cell and the lamp. Set it up midday recording charge/discharge rates and local temps.

Came back the next morning and the light wasn't on. The Marines at the FOB tell me they heard a large pop the previous night. Open the pelican case to a giant plume of black smoke. The batteries straight up exploded. I look at the contractor who designed/build the drat thing and ask him what kind of batteries he used.

NiMH. For use in 100+ degree desert environments. >_>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PDP-1 posted:

Just use one of those 50 year lifetime, radioactive Betavolt batteries in its place and the scary lithium warning sticker goes away!

https://www.batterytechonline.com/materials/betavolt-battery-50-year-charge-cellphone-powered-for-decades

These actually seem pretty cool, there is some nickel-63 inside that sprays its radioactive decay products into a diamond crystal semiconductor where they ionize electron-hole pairs that are then swept apart by the internal field of a PN junction similar to how a solar panel works. That's what I could glean from a pop culture article anyway. Low power output but you'll never have to reset that RTC again.

The little I've read on these things indicates they effectively store something like 3,300 MWh but only actually generate 100uW @ 3V. That's not even enough to power a cell phone.