Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
If one was to build a circuit to measure density of smoke passing through a long, narrow chamber, what would be some approaches? My best idea right now is an LED + photoresistor combo. Obviously we're going to have to test and scale the values, but do you guys think this might work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

movax posted:

There are two classes of device for that, if I recall correctly. Nephelometer will measure scattered light at a 90 degree angle in its basest form, with additional photodetectors needed to compensate for backscatter, etc. Absorptiometer is what you're thinking, in which you measure how much your light source got attenuated.

Do you need calibrated values? (i.e. with Formazin or EPA-style NTUs, etc) That probably makes your life harder. If you want a simple "hey there's smoke in this tube!", then this may probably work.

Super helpful. We don't need standard units or anything, relative is fine.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Ball of aluminum foil or something. Copper braid?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I have a type K thermocouple and a MAX31855 interface board with screw terminals for the thermocouple. Is it okay if I cut the thermocouple wires to length and strip them and use these terminals? Assuming so, didn't want to ruin a thermocouple.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Thanks for thermocouple help. We have screw terminals on the prefabbed amplifier board, so I'll trim and clamp in there, no solder.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

So i bought one of these for a project, it's 4mm wide. I didn't really think about how tiny it would be till it got here and now i need to connect it up. Am i just going to have to solder very carefully (i haven't soldered for a while and i sucked when i last did it) or are there connectors that small?

Hmm, 4mm wide....those are some tiny pins. This one might be tough if you're inexperienced at soldering. I'm pretty good and I'd definitely be breaking out the magnifying glass.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, when you can't find a part, try chopping chunks off of the part number, and it will often give you a 'close' match that you can then figure out what your part is from.

I searched for XAMR74 and it looks like you're looking for a "Technics/Panasonic 15v Panel Bulb". Sixide is right on the money.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm tuning a MOSFET driver circuit that I'm using to PWM a heating element at 31 Hz. I'm wondering if I have way too high a gate resistor. It's a 12V system, using an IRFZ48N MOSFET, and I'm driving it with a BC327 through a 1K resistor. Can't quite assemble all the math needed to calculate my gate resistor. Suspecting it should be much smaller. Our target current flow is ~8 amps through the MOSFET. (paging movax)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Honestly, this is my checklist for stripping electronics, and outside of this, I do not give a single poo poo:

-Toroids
-Electrolytics
-Headers, connectors and jacks
-Diodes *with long-ish leads* - I don't pull through-hole diodes unless they have a good 3/8" of leads on both sides
-TO-220 voltage regulators and any worthy transistors - you can sometimes skeeze a couple of MOSFETS out of switching PSUs
-Socketed ICs that will be useful - proprietary/unlabeled stuff I don't even look at twice.

I don't desolder anything SMT for salvage, ever.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Martytoof posted:

Oh yeah, I definitely didn't mean to sound emo over the math or anything. I'm having a great time figuring this stuff all out. I think I legitimately found something I am excited about learning, only I'm like 15 years too late to actually get into it and make it a career choice. But I guess it should say something that I'm actually as excited about learning this as I am about what I've considered my dream career field all this time.

Don't sell yourself too short. For the past 50 years or so, it has become less and less popular to focus on hardware component electronics, due to Asian mass-production, automated assembly and the SE Asia engineer explosion. However, now there is virtually nobody around who can troubleshoot and fix things. Niche markets are holding strong, and it's easier than ever to get started blowing up transistors and hooking up the wrong resistors. Back when I was learning this poo poo in the early 90's, we had to work out of mail-order catalogs (operator, please stop calling me ma'am, i'm twelve, not a woman). Now you can either Amazon up some poo poo to tinker with the next day, or get literally any random gizmo or circuit board you want out of China with a couple weeks mail-delay.

Get a good understanding of the laws (Ohm's, Kirchoff's, and the power law) and how common 3-pin semiconductors work, and you are basically ready to start building and fixing things. You don't have to know how many transistors are in that opamp (though learning the basics of opamps is strongly recommended).

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 16, 2012

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Martytoof posted:

I asked my dad, an EE, this exact question about 3.3 the other day. He shrugged and said "Iunno" :q:

3.3 seems so arbitrary.

When you put 5 volts through a 1:2 ratio resistor divider you get exactly 3.3. Suspecting that was the most convenient ratio to set it at, as 2.5V would have been a pretty low Vcc for the time in question.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I think the last time I got on a scope-shopping kick, I was looking at Tek 2213s on eBay? I don't want to drop more than a hundred until I can spend $1k or so on a quality one that will last me a long time.

I wouldn't even rate one of those little mp3 player scopes for anything serious. Those little LCD displays are not known for their response time.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
What value is that resistor?

In theory, it should work, IF you have a significantly lower resistance through the water than you do through the resistor.

Can you hook an ohmmeter up to your two wires going to the reservoir, and give us a ballpark resistance reading when it's full and then when it's empty (should be basically infinite on the latter)?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Minimize your variables first, get readings off the actual probe you're using, not the multimeter leads.

You could also consider using a float switch. http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Water-Horizontal-Switch-Aquarium/dp/B0056EWADA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355167348&sr=8-1&keywords=float+switch

A local aquarium shop should have one for less than 10bux, and it'll be a simple, no-fiddling setup, open or closed.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
LM386's are great little cheater chips. I ended up throwing one in a bass preamp and it sounded really good.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
So, I've been an 'electronics guy' for decades, but admittedly cargo-culted some of it. As time moves on, I'm actually retracing my steps and relearning the fundamentals.

This week's project was a wacky gift, and I homebrewed a miniature stoplight out of conduit fittings, LEDs and two 555 timers. I started off with a copied-and-pasted circuit, which didn't work.

So, I got mad, and read the Wikipedia page for the 555.
Then I read the datasheets.
Then I studied the poo poo out of it some more until I understood how it _actually_ works.

The next night, I sat down in front of my bench (NOT Multisim) and built a timer from scratch, using my own calculations and schematic.

And it worked perfectly!
I now 'get' the 555.

Mini milestone.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

longview posted:

Charging an iPhone or similar device can take between 0.5A, 1A for an iPhone and something like 2A for an iPad and you need to provide resistors to the D lines to indicate how much current it is allowed to draw. The values and wiring is available many places online, test it on a breadboard with a current meter first.
This is a little neat since it lets the charger tell the device exactly how much current is allowed.

Charging phones with micro-USB power you short D+- together and they try to draw something like 1A, I think there may be a way of indicating even more current being allowed by putting a resistor between the lines. 1A is the standard charger size for phones though.

I recommend using one or more switch mode converters though, I'd figure 1A per outlet, but maybe provide an iPad outlet with dedicated 2A. For high fidelity, switch mode pre-regulator and linear regulator on the output, good quality caps and inductors to filter the power.
Power quality is important for smart-phones since noisy power interferes with touch screens making them unreliable.
So I'd suggest 12V input and some voltage step-down modules with switch mode converters for about 2-3A output, 6-8V, pi LC-filter into a 7805 (or a better LDO version, for lower power dissipation) powering two ports.
With good converters you could probably get away with dropping the 7805 and just passive filtering on the output though.

If you bumped the input voltage a bit (a non-problem pretty much as we're using those switcher converters) to 16-18V, you could use a common laptop power adapter for input. Might simplify.

After Wozniak posted his insane octopus charger rig I seriously considered building something like this and mailing it to him, because that poo poo was shameful.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

Hello Electronics Thread,

Ok so I'm putting together a little benchtop cnc machine and the motor controller has serial ports. I had assumed I'd just buy 3 serial cables, chop one end off and hook up the appropriate wires and could be done with it.

BUT: PROBLEMS!!!

the controller people say that no, i shouldnt do that and should instead build my own loving cables and solder dsub pins like a goddamn caveman because most serial cables wont tolerate 5A of current. Is this true? And if so, how do I tell if mine will or won't? And if they wont, how the hell should I build my own cables? I have the dsub parts, but like, what gauge wire and what should I use as a sheath? left to my own stupid devices, I'd just use paracord sheathing, but I feel confident that my house would burn down quickly enough after that.

Wait wait wait wait. This sounds vicious. Are you drat sure these are RS-232 serial ports? Toss us some pinouts or something to ponder. This should be a trivial part of the setup.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'd go at least 18 gauge. One suggestion is to holler at a local HVAC place; they carry multi-conductor wire for thermostats and some of them should be heavy enough gauge that it should work. Not cheaper than waiting a day off Amazon, but instant gratification.

The use of DB9 connectors for such an application angers me, as an aside.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Beat me to it. 2x3 Molex would be an even smaller footprint, have higher current carrying capacity, and if you spend the five dollars for the pin extractor Molexes are not hard to deal with at all.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

peepsalot posted:

Has anyone messed with winding their own transformers? I've had this idea for a while of making a sort of "binary" variac. Instead of a wiper, there would be multiple output windings(maybe multiple input as well) with turns in powers of two, and some relays or something could dynamically reconfigure to provide various outputs levels. The low turn windings could be done in extra heavy gauge, and higher turns could be lighter gauge to give optimal power output over all voltage ranges. Do things like this already exist, is there a name for them?

Any tips on winding something like this myself? Any chances of getting just a nice plain core by itself, or should I try to tear apart some existing transformer?

Yeah, this is how substations adjust line voltage sag due to differing temperatures. They have fuckoff big transformers with several closely spaced taps at one end. If the voltage sags, say because warm weather heated up lines and their resistance increased, it'll change a tap to bump the output voltage up a little bit, at the cost of a bit more current on the input.

Winding transformers is hoodoo, I have a couple hedgehog transformers that I've been building, but dudes that can hand-wind laminated core transformers deserve props.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I found that page a year ago and am still marveling at the work he did.

We're planning our retirement/grey years to be on a mountaintop or somewhere with elevation change, and I was extremely impressed with his work.

And yeah, the DIY 2,000 volt power line is ballsy. But he knows what he's doing.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Whenever I'm in a situation that appears to call for a Zener diode, I sit back and ponder for a moment, then figure out the correct answer to the problem.

I've never liked using them as regulators. I would _maybe_ use one as the voltage ref for a BJT voltage follower, if I needed stable voltage at a few mA and the world's supply of TO92 regulators caught on fire. That's it, though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
RE: pinning to Arduinos, I found a good solution if you have a pile of old motherboards hanging around.

If you yank off the 2-pin headers, rip out one row of pins and run your wires through the empty holes, you get really nice strain-relieved connectors. Hopefully pix make more sense.

http://raspberryhigh.wikia.com/wiki/WiringAndBoards

Also, you can see my 40-pin +5/GND extension bus on that page, which I'm proud of. :3:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
If you do use tantalums, build the circuit and check your voltages on each side of the lines those caps go in, and make sure to orient the + side towards the more-positive DC voltage. They don't like to be hooked up with reverse polarity, at all.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

Also, 220uF ceramic caps exist. They are not cheap.

Don't get hung up too much on the cap values being exactly that.

Edit: I had some math in here but disregard, you may need a bigger one than I thought. I would say that 1 uF is fine but just start small and go up if you have issues.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 19, 2013

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
How I cut my boards, with really good success rate:

-Score on both sides with X-acto, lining up as close as I can
-Place on edge of lovely MDF desk (you want that hard 90 deg edge) with cut lined up with edge
-Use something like a book to hold down the part on the desk
-karate CHOP! Don't ease it, snap on that thing. You've given it the weak point.

Sometimes I go over it with a flat file afterwards to pretty it up (outside, of course)

I can do anything from perfboard to double-sided glass epoxy board with this method.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Delta-Wye posted:

I wish Sick of Beige had more options than just acrylic face/base plates.

Seeed has proto boards and matching faceplates for not too much, but it still isn't a proper enclosure.

A few years back a buddy tossed me a trash bag full of unfinished, unstamped metal boxes shaped exactly like Altoids tins with a plain metal finish. One of the best hauls I've ever gotten; I'm still putting blinkenlights in those things years later and probably still have 30 left.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
As much as I know about RF and tuned circuits and all that, I can't build an oscillator in Multisim or on a breadboard to save my effing life.

I just don't get crystals yet. I mean, I do, but I don't. I really wish I could get a better hang of them to work on RF stuff more.
Really need a scope or something. There's only so far a good DMM can take you.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm about to (probably) light $30 on fire here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110925504614&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I messaged the seller with the part number of a clean 15" 1680x1050 LCD out of a Latitude, and they say they can wire up a cable for it no problem.

I've stripped a vintage-1998 lunchbox PC that was originally used as a Sprint network analyzer, and am shoving modern guts into it. This should work out for the display part nicely.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
If you're adding USB connectivity to a device, do everything you can to avoid the mini connectors. The fullsize ones are fine. The micros are also fine. The mini connectors are _horrid pieces of shit_. I've made good money resoldering miniB's back on to 2.5" externals right before finals time.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Repair time!

My Behringer (shut up) UB2442fx died last night. I'm getting typical pulsing starts from the PSU, about 5-8 hertz.

I replaced a couple of suspect caps, but the ticking persists. I'm assuming something is shorted? I checked all four high speed diodes on the out rails (there are five - +/- 15V, +12v for lamp, +5 for logic and +48 for phantom), did not see any shorted or open.
I have the schematic (part number is UB-SPSU2 for the PSU board), but am not too too swift with switchers.

What else could be causing pulse starts?

If worst comes to worst, I will build a linear bipolar for my 15v rails and hang a 7805 off the side for logic. I don't need the 12v for the light or the 48v for phantom power. Radio shack has that little 25.2 center tap that can do 2A, think this is enough to drive 15V regulators after rectification?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Here's a hilarious link that actually is to the schematic PDF for the power supply.

http://www.electronica-pt.com/index.php/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,34/func,startdown/id,16037/

Looks like a TOP245Y is our controller IC.

I have tested in-circuit:

C13, C10, C6, C9, C2, D4, D5, D6.

C9 read about 10 uF and I replaced with a 470/16.

Measuring 1.1k on the dot between +12 and ground, unpowered of course - but that's a simple unregulated line so I don't think it'd be the cause.

I'm just using my Amprobe, which farts out above 40 uF, but it's enough for go/no go.

The effects board shat out a couple years ago, and coming back around, people are saying that bad caps can do that - suspecting via trashing the +5 rail.

Common culprits seem to be D7/C13, IC3 and the little BD239/BD240 drivers.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 6, 2013

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Good calls. I don't have a scope unfortunately so it's DMM or nothing. Pretty sure C25 is just to drain RF noise from circuit ground to chassis, and it still malfunctions with the frame ground snipped.

I don't know much about the TL431, and am trying to figure out how it's being used here. We clearly have some sort of divider which is feeding pin 3, and I know we can count R24 out as it's just limiting the opto current but after that I'm getting lost. Not to mention the secondary side of the +/- 15 rails.....pretty confused there as well.

E: Okay i've been reading and I think i got it. When +UR rises above ~16V, TL431 pin 3 rises above 2.5v. When this happens, pin 1 starts sinking current and turns the opto LED on, providing current to the C pin.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 6, 2013

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Archive.org put up the full run of Gernsback's Radio-Electronics magazine. '29 through 03.

Get your project on!

http://archive.org/details/radioelectronicsmagazine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Martytoof posted:

Heyy, connectorchat!

I want to route three connectors (two 3x2, one 5x2) from an AVR Dragon board I just bought to the outside of a project enclosure. I'd like to retain the standard 6 and 10 pin header layout, but I'd like something that can I can mount to the side of a project box, so something with screw holes, and ideally it would protect the pins so I don't just have bare pins sticking out of the side of a box.

Think along the lines of the kind of connector you used to see on motherboards to plug a serial port cable into -- keyed, outer plastic enclosure. The only difference is that I'd like something which can be mounted to a surface.

I'm not looking for anyone to slave through a catalog for me until they find something -- I can do that myself (and am, right now, going through Newark's database), but if anyone knows what this might be called off the top of their head or where I can find something that matches this description that would probably cut down on my headaches substantially. Thanks! Newark has like a trillion connectors and I am very bad at discerning what is what just because of the high volume of data.

The term you're looking for is "bulkhead" connector, I think. I can't find any, yes I slaved through catalogs for you.

I would take a male pin header, with the shroud. Find two small L-brackets. Epoxy them on to the ends of the shroud, mark your holes on the panel and drill.

Here, Paint time!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Linear PSU design time!

Okay, we have 2x18VAC coming into the PSU i'm designing. I want +/- 15VDC at up to about an amp, maybe?
I'm using LM7815 and LM7915 regulators.

How much capacitance, before and after the regulators, should I be ballparking? What are decent ripple limits for bipolar power supplies feeding audio gear?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

longview posted:

Strictly speaking you only need enough capacitance to ensure the ripple dips won't fall below the dropout voltage for the regulator.

Using this calculator http://www.changpuak.ch/electronics/power_supply_design.php I got a value of about 2200µF minimum, 4700µ would be a good value, going above that would be more or less pointless.

For the output capacitance you need at least 1µF, 4.7-20µF X5R/X7R ceramic is a good amount (or a 10-100µF Y7R). This will ensure that the regulator is stable, any more does decrease the output impedance of the supply, but it also means the peak short circuit current will be much higher which may not be what you want. I'd put a few µ of good quality ceramic (or a bunch of electrolytics I guess) at the regulator then locally bypass each section with good ceramics instead of trying to build a capacitive discharge welder power supply at the far end of an inductive power cable.

The regulated supply will basically have no ripple, since the ripple rejection at 100-120Hz (using figures for the LT1963, a slightly higher end device) is well over 60dB.
On top of that, a typical high end opamp can acheive around 100dB rejection at those frequencies.
I'm not sure what a typical bipolar amplifier will have in terms of rejection, I imagine it would be fairly poor compared to the opamp with no negative feedback, with feedback it would depend on the topology and how well the reference element can reject power supply noise (so for a hybrid discrete+opamp circuit the opamp would extend the PSRR to any element in the feedback loop).

Thanks, this is great. I'm building a replacement PSU for this lovely Behringer mixer I have that delivered juice via a $0.50 switching PSU board, so I assume it was putting out some pretty noisy shitpower, I think I will be able to improve on it.

Second question: I need +5V in this thing as well just for a bit of logic, am I risking unbalancing the PSU rails by hanging a 7805 off the positive rail (after the filter cap, before the 7815)? I believe current draw is minimal, under 100 mA on the +5.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 25, 2013

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Alright, building the rectifier/regulator for my mixer PSU tonight. No more dilly-dallying.

Remind me the brief points on how to do a bipolar linear. Transformer center tap goes to PCB ground, I float the diode ring and then run each of those through +/- filtering and regulation?

Edit: Say I wanna use 7812/7912's for my regs. I need to run a voltage divider off the output to ground, putting the 7812's ground pin at the middle, right? I calculated that a 390/100 ohm divider will give me ~3.0 volts at the junction if it gets 15 volts from the regulator out.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 22, 2013

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I.....I found a 7915 in my junkbox last night.

And of course I don't have a 7815.

God hates me.

(Yeah, I need +/- 15V, and a 5V low current logic rail).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Beware that the low voltage wiring for thermostats has the _worst_ poo poo trash insulation you've ever seen.

You even look at the outer jacket wrong, boom you just nicked three inner conductors.

I mean, I'm an old beard at this poo poo, and I had to re-strip the first end four times. Jesus.