Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

ante posted:

Make your own x-ray machine :hellyeah:

That would be a pretty useful project actually, as long as it was made safely. This guy acquired an x-ray tube head http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrni6AkEeV and made some neat photos. I don't think he was very safe about it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

King Nothing posted:

Yeah, basically think of something you want to sense (humidity, light, temperature, sound, whatever) and something you want to do in response. Potentiometers (pots) are useful, tri-color LEDs are fun.

When you come up with a project, buy cheap parts like resistors/capacitors from digikey and buy more than you need. Then next time you want to do something, you'll already have some things lying around. That's a better way to go than just buying random stuff to start, I think.

I usually keep stock of common things. I have a general kit of various axial components, resistors, caps some regulator ICs. Also supplies like FR4, wires, solder etc. Basically stuff that will work for any prototype.

https://www.danscloseoutsandspecialdeals.com , allelectronics.com and https://www.goldmine-elec.com are cheap if you want to stock up on misc parts.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Okay, not precisely electronics, but we just finished off our devices for our MEMs class.

It's supposed to be an electronically tunable capacitor. The long sets of interdigitated comb fingers in the center is the "capacitor" itself. The The shorter comb fingers on each side of the structure are for actuation. When voltage is applied to either set of actuating/driving fingers, the central proof mass displaces slightly, changing the spacing between the capacitor fingers and thus the capacitance.

Warning: pictures are pretty big :siren:
Here is a picture of the full device under an optical microscope (about x100):
http://i44.tinypic.com/24pwk8k.jpg

And here are some under an SEM:
Full device. Kind of a crappy photo.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2celqe.jpg

Close up of actuator fingers
http://i42.tinypic.com/2lue7q.jpg

Close up of a corner, clearly showing polysilicon etching profile. you can also see the undercut of the oxide sacrificial layer
http://i41.tinypic.com/nawds.jpg

Interesting, was this something built in house or was it sent off to MOSIS?

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
Looks like TI's site is unfucked again. 4.30+free shipping. Probably going to be a delay in getting one though. They seem to be a wee bit popular.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Corrupt Politician posted:

Can anyone give me advice on connecting a surface mount chip without a PCB? I have this somewhat obscure op amp that only comes in a 20-PSOP package, and I want to connect it to a power supply I'm building, but all the surface mount soldering tutorials I find online involve soldering to a custom PCB with a designated slot for the chip. I just want to be able to connect this thing to a breadboard. Here's a picture of the chip:

I'll take whatever option is relatively cheap and easy. Also, I've only done surface mount stuff once before which didn't go too well (and I don't have a particularly steady hand), but I do have access to a microscope and a bunch of good equipment in the ECE shop at my school. Ideally I'd like to buy the DIP version instead (the PA78EU from Cirrus Logic), but I can't find it in stock anywhere online.

Two ways you can go about it. Flip the chip upside down and hot glue it to a piece of copper clad. Solder small wires to the pins. Then take a razor blade and cut some of the copper clad away so you have isolated pads for the wires to connect to. Otherwise if you can be precise plop the chip down, mark where copper should be missing between the pins and cut that away. Heating the area you want to remove works pretty well to delaminate the copper once you make the cuts.

Really unless you absolutely have to use something else just buy a stack of FR4 off ebay for less than the price of a couple adapter boards. You can just cut and hack that to make almost anything you need. Throw those tired old bread boards and vector boards out.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Hurricane human being posted:

Would something along the lines of baking soda work to neutralize it? Kind of worried about the sludge too because it really doesn't seem like it should be tossed directly into the garbage.

Yes, Just be sure to add it slowly until the PH gets above 7. You can throw the sludge safely away, or save it till there is a local "hazardous" material collection. The copper ions are fairly poisonous in solution. But once they are insoluble salts its not so bad.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Unparagoned posted:

It's a breadbord. I currently have a nice resistor burn mark on my finger. I've had it on ice for the last few hours. I just thought there might be a better way.

I dunno, maybe hold your finger over it for a second without touching it to see if its blazingly hot. I think most people over 8 have figured this out. Otherwise many multimeters support thermocouples. Or get one of those IR temp sensors.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

riichiee posted:

- 12V Lab Power Supply.
- Oscilloscope (anyone recommend a good cheap one? Thinking about getting the Picoscope))
- Probably some sort of invertor.
- Various IC's.

Also, anyone got any interesting projects? I'm thinking of maybe making some sort of basic audio synthethiser. Would maybe take in 12V DC and output sine waves at different frequencies with different filters?

EDIT: Is there also a decent (freye) SPICE software package that I could use?

For spice I just use ltspace. Works good and has a decently sized community in case something goes wrong.

People are going to suggest bitscope, picoscope, etc for oscilloscopes. Ignore them. Either troll craiglist/ebay for something useful or just buy a normal one. Rigol and the chinese makers have low end scopes at around the 300-400$ mark. That gets you 1 gig/sample which is probably 5X the sample rate of the headless scopes.

For power you could just make something out of an old ATX power supply. As long as your projects can take a little noise.

I don't see a soldering iron on there. But knock offs of Hakko products are fairly popular. Buy a box of FR4 off ebay or locally. Its fantastically useful stuff to have around. Also get a dremel or equivalent for hacking it up. I use a dremel and FR4 to make quick circuits. Works especially well for switching power circuits since solderless breadboards have big capacitance issues.

As far as ICs and other stuff to get. Just keep an eye out for decent assortments of parts. The surplus sites like electronic goldmine or Dan's deals can have good deals sometimes.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Unparagoned posted:

What's wrong with picoscope?

The one he is probably looking at runs at only 200Ms/s. Thats good for around 20Mhz signals. In the future it will be a limiting factor as you continue with electronics. Just pony up the extra 100$ for a real scope. Low end rigols can be patched to 1G/s@100 Mhz. And Tekways are currently being hacked to 1G/s@200 Mhz. The tekway might actually be hackable to a higher sample rate as well eventually.

Plus you don't need a PC to use it. 100$ difference.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
Anyone know a good source for small super cheap displays? I'd like something 2-3" square. Monochrome, LCD or whatever technology is cheapest. Probably need 100 of them. Nothing fancy but places seem to want 10$ per part for even the bottom of the barrel. I'd be willing to use surplus stuff if I can get enough.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
Thanks for the display suggestions guys. Might get one of them.

Anyone else enter that Renesas design contest with the free devkit? Finally got mine in via fedex. With the almost 900 page hardcover book included I think it might actually be a better deal if they just gave you a wifi kindle with all their documents on it.

ValhallaSmith fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 29, 2010

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Frobbe posted:

y'know, if you had told us about it when there was still devkits available to get, i bet more people would've entered :(

It was pretty widely advertised. There was a thing on most of the major "maker" sites, eevblog, etc.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

crabrock posted:

I'm currently trying to teach myself how to make circuits and solder and what not. I've done a few tutorials and kits from sparkfun, and feel like I have the super very basics down (but am still quite overwhelmed--this stuff is hard!).

Right now I'm trying to construct a circuit and I'm just unsure of how to do a few things. My many nights of googling has helped a little, but I'm still having a few issues. If anybody could point me in the right direction that'd be great. Pardon my layman's terms/ignorance.

Problem 1:

Is there some sort of component that has a higher forward voltage than the minimum .7 that I seem to see on most resistor/diodes? Or maybe some sort of component that is specifically for "filtering" or something? I just want my circuit to work if it's being supplied with > 10v or something like that and for it to ignore anything < 10v. I'm totally lost on this, as it seems everybody wants their stuff to work with minimal power. What would I use?

Assuming this means you want your circuit to be off if it isn't receiving enough voltage. You want a voltage regulator with a low voltage cutoff. Or use a switching chip to do it.

crabrock posted:

Problem 2:

Are there any sort of capacitors that "leak" charge? I want to charge one up but I don't want it to remain indefinitely. Or alternatively a way to slowly drain the charge from one. would i just use a really low resistor hooked up to it constantly, and then use a switch to connect it to the rest of the circuit when it reaches a certain level?

All capacitors leak charge. I believe TVs and such that have very high capacity capacitors have high value resistors across them to drain them off within 15 minutes. Thats probably changed with newer TVs.

crabrock posted:

Problem 2.5:

Is there a way to measure how much charge a capacitor currently has? or maybe something else like that?
Put a volt meter across it? I mean assuming you are not measuring some crazy high voltage capacitor. You can get the actual coulombs of charge by multiplying the voltage times its rated capacitance. Keep in mind that is a very rough value as the actual capacitance of the capacitor changes as it fills.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Krenzo posted:

I'm trying to do time of flight stuff: send out a single pulse from a transmitter and time how long it takes to reach the receiver. I have several FPGAs and have built a test circuit that can time the travel time of a square pulse through a wire to within about 100 picoseconds (I'm planning to reduce the noise to get a more accurate timer). The next part is to construct a UWB transmitter and receiver to replace the wire that the pulse travels through. However, the difficult part I'm having to deal with is figuring out how I'm going to troubleshoot any problems I may encounter with such narrow pulses (ones that will register in the >3 ghz range). To even be able to see the pulse with an oscilloscope would take a very expensive one. I'm currently trying to ask electrical engineer grad students at my school to figure out if the university has any fast scopes I could get some time with. I hate the idea of getting into this project and not have any concrete feedback as to what's going on, ie if things are really operating how I planned them to.

Why do you need UWB? Or do you plan on scanning through specific frequencies?

One thing you might consider is just using dirt cheap DBS LNBs for your transmitter and receiver. It would be easier than building a UWB from scratch and have less need for a high speed RF scope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDyo_OQFdAc is Jeri Ellsworth's take on modifying a LNB.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

crabrock posted:

Thanks to whomever tried to help me, I made a little bit of progress but I'm still not really sure how to do what I want to do. I thought maybe some pictures would help.

I've been using one of the little simulators that was linked in here.

Basically I'm trying to accomplish these things:

1. Source fills up capacitor. The voltage/current is variable, sometimes being low, sometimes being high, and sometimes being off.

2. Basically I want it to add up til a certain level (that Z diode thingy) and then discharge.

3. When it gets to that level and discharges it goes through the other side of the circuit and lights up the LED for a brief time until it falls below the required value again and has to charge up.

4. I'd like it if the capacitor source was "off" the charge leaked from the capacitor but not through the LED.

I hope this makes a little more sense. I'm still pretty confused on how some of this works. I feel like I've read the same intros to electronics a billion times and they're not really helping.

Is this just to do it or do you have an application in mind? This is basically a switched capacitor LED driver. There are versions that flash LEDs at various speeds as well.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

I can build a communications circuit of some kind, OR I can simulate something in the design program of my choice. I was thinking about simulating some kind of interesting network topology/protocol like multiple-base wireless reception or something.

If it were me, and well being me, I'd go for something like setting up a audio frequency link between two computers using GNU radio and the computers sound cards. Then I'd hook up a noise generator/frequency generator/arb and a competing gnu radio audio source.

Then you can use this to demonstrate the effectiveness of various encodings and filters.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Weatherproof posted:

Here's a bit of a weird one:

I'm trying to build this circuit and successfully did it on a breadboard and confirmed it as working (by hooking up the output to an oscilloscope) before transferring it over to veroboard and soldering everything up.

However, when it's on the veroboard there's now this constant sine wave coming out of the output with a peak to peak voltage of about 1V and a frequency of around 18kHz. The circuit seems to still work though cause the voltage jumps around when the mic gets sound and the max peak to peak voltage I get for loud sounds is around 3V which is the same as what I was getting before.

I accidentally found out that when I physically touch pin 8 of the op amp chip I'm using that the noise in the output goes away and the circuit functions as it was when it was on the breadboard (which is what I want). I didn't have anything connected to pin 8 when I was doing it on the breadboard cause I'm not using that particular pin.

I had a look at the datasheet for the chip and apparently pin 8 is COMP/BAL which I'm fairly sure I don't need for my simple circuit.

I have tried connecting the offending pin both straight to ground and to ground through a 1Meg resistor but neither seemed to do anything. It really only seems to work if I am physically touching the pin which I find totally bamboozling.

Does anyone have any idea of what might be going on? My only thought is that when I was soldering I might've heated up the chip too much which has changed it in some way?

Vero boards have much less capacitance than bread boards. Your circuit was stable on the breadboard because of that. Touching it is adding enough capacitance to keep it stable like on on the breadboard.

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~lanterma/sdiy/datasheets/opamp/audio_circuits_ne553x.pdf is an app note for audio circuits using that chip.

You need to put a 22pf or so cap between pin 8 and 5 more than likely to keep it stable.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Weatherproof posted:

Thanks so much, that makes sense! I'll give it a go tomorrow when I'm back in the lab and will report back.

Does the orientation of the capacitor matter though? In all of the diagrams in that PDF they don't seem to specify one so I'm thinking I might just need a ceramic one so it won't matter? Admittedly my knowledge on this sort of stuff is pretty weak.

Yea, just a bog standard unpolarized ceramic is fine.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Krenzo posted:

So who here is knowledgeable about high bandwidth scopes? I'm in need of a scope with at least 5 GHz of bandwidth. I looked at renting one, but it seems like buying an older one off of eBay may be better. I see Tektronix 11801C scopes (with sampling head included) going for slightly cheaper than what it would cost to rent a newer scope.

What sort of signals are you trying to look at? There is a bit more to it than just bandwidth. What sample rate? What sort of triggering. Etc.

For example, the scope you are looking at has an analog bandwidth of 50Ghz max. But it only has a sample rate of 400Khz.

ValhallaSmith fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Krenzo posted:

I see there are copper boards you can buy that have photosensitive coating already applied which you expose to get your design onto the board. Is there a way to coat a plain copper clad board with that material to avoid paying $20/board?

Yep, a ton of products out there. Not all of them liquid. You can get a dry resist that laminates on as well.

http://www.genesismt.com/products makes AQ 3000 which seems to be popular. Needs to be dip or spun. Otherwise you could get a spray can of positiv 20, but its really finicky.

Or dry film. If you are not doing ultra tiny pitch parts dry film might work for you.