Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Erm, those jumpers are there to connect together parts of the circuit that other traces get in the way of. It's not going to work like normal with them removed. They aren't for troubleshooting.

Edit: Also, judging by the fact that the diode is placed directly across the AC line, I'm going to say that's a bidirectional transient voltage suppression diode. No idea what the specific rating or replacement part is though.

Mill Town fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

So, I just made my first SMT board the other day. It's a 3-channel LED dimmer controlled by an ATmega168 (not an Arduino, straight up assembly, bitches :whatup:).

Anyway, in order to connect the various connectors and things to the board, I used 1.27mm pads rather than headers because this board can't have any through-hole components. I'm finding that some of the solder pads are starting to lift, though, due to the various wires bending when open the case for debugging. How can I reduce the likelihood of this happening? I'm thinking larger pads and thicker traces leading up to them. Anything else?

Bonus: here's the board design. Sorry it's a bit busy.

Also, C1 is shorting out now so I can't enjoy my shiny new dimmer! :argh:

Edit: I'm not asking for any advice on C1, I know exactly why it's shorted and what I need to do to fix it.

Mill Town fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 17, 2009

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Poopernickel posted:

When soldering wires directly onto traces or pads, it's always a good idea to tack down a little bit of glue right by the pad for strain relief. Otherwise you're just asking to lift the pad and the trace along with it.

Superglue is aces if you're sure you want to keep the wire there. If you want something a little bit less permanent, I'd recommend hot glue. I use it all the time in prototypes because it's somewhat flexible when dry and melts right off. Hot glue is also really good if you ever need to lift a pin from an surface-mount IC and solder to it. Without something for mechanical stability, your chances of ripping the pin right off of the IC increase significantly.

Here's what I usually do when I want "just a dab" of hot glue or when I need to put a little bit under a pin I've lifted. I cut off a tiny tiny piece of the glue stick and just put it wherever I want the glue to be. Then I dab it with a fine-tip soldering iron and it melts pretty much instantly. Since it melts at a much lower temperature than solder, you can do it without desoldering anything if you're careful.

Seriously, this is some protip poo poo right here

Thanks. Everything already had tape on it and was either stranded 26 gauge wire or 30 gauge wirewrap wire so "hot glue" is pretty much the only thing I haven't done. I'll try this on the next iteration of the board.

For now, the repaired board with a few extra components stuck in convenient places is pumping out light next to me. :)

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

therunningman posted:

If the programming required is something that a reasonably intelligent person could be expected to slowly pick up, then it sounds like something for me.
I would be starting at "hello world", so any kind of early direction would be important to be put on the right track early.

Looking around briefly I keep seeing the name "Arduino". Good starting point?

Yes, the Arduino is really easy to get started with, has a great development environment and a lot of interested community members who can help you out, and has bits specifically geared towards interactive light and sound installations and other forms of art.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

clredwolf posted:

There should be a game called 'find the PIC'. Just rip something vaugely dealing with electricity apart and see how many PIC microcontrollers you can spot.

There's a good reason PICs and AVRs tend to be used a lot. They're incredibly rugged, easy to use processors. The other day, a friend of mine had a board that was powering up AVRs (Arduino Nanos actually) without anything connected on the 5V rail. Turns out he was pushing 24V into one of the analog pins, which was actually powering the part! He fixed the problem, and the analog pin still works correctly!

For a lot of applications, you really don't need much more than a PICAXE or Arduino. Both are nice due to their ease of use. Arduino happens to be open source, and I see a ton of projects out there for it. I happen to like the Arduino better, but both are perfectly reasonable starting points.

If you get an Arduino, I recommend starting with a Duemilanove. Those tend to have the most useful accessories, and most projects are based around them. The Arduino Nano is another good one, and it has the advantage of being able to fit right into a breadboard.

The AVRs generally have supply-voltage clamping diodes on their inputs, which means you can pull a ton of stupid AVR tricks like this one:
http://scanwidget.livejournal.com/32928.html

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Corrupt Politician posted:

Fantastic thread here guys! I have a question that hopefully someone here will be able to answer:

I'm working on a project that requires me to control the output of somewhere around 100 3-color LEDs. The LEDs are the kind sold here (they are red/green/blue and draw around 20mA at 2-4V). I must be able to switch on/off each color of each LED individually, giving me 8 possible states per LED (pwm control would get me a lot more and would be ideal, but I don't really need it). The LEDs would be controlled by a PC, via USB or serial.

I've been searching on various electronics websites and most of what I've come up with are LED controllers that come with the LEDs attached, or that control a board of LEDs, neither of which work for me (the LEDs need to be completely separate from the controller and from each other). The only thing I've found so far is this 64-LED controller, which is a pretty cool gizmo, but is expensive ($92) and not big enough for my application (it's designed for 1-color LEDs, so I'd only end up with a 21-LED controller).

My question is twofold:
1) Is there some product out there that does exactly what I need?
2) If there isn't, then what is the best way to go about designing my own? I saw that some of you guys have designed LED controllers, but is there a relatively cheap way to make one for so many LEDs? (I have been working on this and have some Multisim pics that I'll upload if you're interested).

I would really appreciate any help on this. Also, sorry for the overly-wordy description.

A PIC or AVR with a pile of IO expanders seems like the the obvious choice.
http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/interface/io_expanders.cfm

How quickly does it need to refresh? I don't think you could get 30fps out of the thing, but I haven't crunched the numbers because :effort:

edit: Oh hey they have a bunch of LED-specific driver chips too http://para.maxim-ic.com/en/search.mvp?fam=disp_driv&397=LED&tree=master

Mill Town fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 6, 2009

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Poopernickel posted:

Actually, this project is a prime candidate for an FPGA-based solution. You can buy FPGAs with hundreds of output pins, all independently controllable. With some careful work you could probably PWM every single pin as well (maybe with one PWM circuit shared between every 16 LEDs or something similar).

You could easily cook up a simple interface (maybe 7-bit LED address, 8-bit data, and a strobe pin) which you could load using your desired microcontroller of choice.

Looking around on Digikey, you can buy a Xilinx Spartan-IIE with 146 I/O pins for about $14. Three of those, an oscillator, some current-limiting resistors and a cheap microcontroller are all the circuitry you would need. Double-check the total drive capacity of one of those FPGAs though - I know each pin is rated for something like 30mA but it would be smart to check the overall power-sink capabilities.

I would recommend using an open-drain topology where the anodes of each LED are tied to the desired voltage rail and each cathode is connected (via current-limiting resistor) to the FPGA's output pins.

Obviously this method is somewhat hardware intensive, but you would get the best results by far (full PWM, any framerate you want, no worries about brightness).

And all you have to do is learn VHDL! :suicide:

For someone with little experience, IO expanders or shift registers are going to take a lot less time to master.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Poopernickel posted:

verilog :colbert:

Until you publish a study of suicide rates in Verilog and VHDL programmers vs the general population, I'm not going to believe that one's any better than the other.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Does anyone know where I can get some thin surface-mount coincell holders? I'm looking at the CR2016 specifically, but it seems everyone wants you to stack two of them in a CR2032 holder.

Also, to go with this, I'm looking for some thin, bright, cheap SMT LEDs. So far this is the best deal I've found, but it's a bit thick. Is there anything comparable that's a bit thinner?
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=160-1414-1-ND

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

ANIME AKBAR posted:

there are much easier ways than learning to use fpgas and using discrete components. One is ICs that are essentially shift registers whose outputs are configurable current sources. You can daisy chain any amount of them on the same serial bus, so you could operate them all with a single microcontroller.

here's a datasheet for one I've used in the past:
http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Part_Numbers/6278/6278.pdf

Yeah, that's the same thing I linked in my first answer, just by a different manufacturer.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Poopernickel posted:

I've never used a skillet so I can't comment on how well it works or doesn't work.

We use a regular hotplate at the lab. It works really well with the caveat that you need to move the work around to compensate for cool spots like the center of the element.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

The cool thing is that everything the design needs is built right into the microcontroller except the SD card, audio amplifier, and the DAC crystal. If I used SMT components the design could be amazingly tiny but I'm not that good yet.

SMT is easy. Tin pads beforehand. Discrete components: Hold down with tweezers, solder the 2 or 3 terminals in succession. QFP/TSSOP: Hold down with tweezers, tack down opposing corners so it stays lined up, solder the rest of the pins. Edit: you can often do several pins at once, especially if you are using solder paste.

TQFN and the like are a bit trickier but can be handled with solder paste and a skillet or hotplate or some very careful hand-soldering (like above, but more careful).

Test with multimeter if there is any doubt about open connections, remove shorts with solder braid and/or dental pick.

People are much more afraid of SMT than they need to be.

Mill Town fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 31, 2009

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Exitlights posted:

I'm just making sure that when I do get a wireless connection going, I'll have a fast enough connection between whatever receives the video and my computer to be able to display the video in real-time. The COM port functionality provided by the Arduino, from what I can tell, maxes out at 115200 baud, which isn't enough to communicate video to my computer with any sort of framerate. Before I get to the wireless transmission part, I'd just like to interface my computer directly with a CMOS camera in real-time, ignoring the wireless part until I can at least get the camera to work.

No, the Arduino UART can definitely exceed those speeds, although you may have to set custom clock divisors and perform other magic. You just need a piece of equipment on the other end that can also operate that fast...

Edit: yeah, if you look at page 199 of the ATmega168 datasheet (the microcontroller used in the Arduino), you will see that the maximum baud rate at a 20MHz clock speed is 2.5Mbps. At that speed you will be very limited in how much processing you can do before you have to shoot each byte out the port, of course, but you should be able to find a good tradeoff between speed and program complexity.

Mill Town fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 17, 2009

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

The cool thing about the Microchip USB implementation is that it uses DMA to keep the peripheral fed while you do other stuff.

That is cool but I still don't know why you would run a USB cable to a boat?

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

Pretty much for the same reason you'd run an RS232 cable to it, because you didn't read his posts. He needs to connect a wireless transceiver of some sort to a computer so he can control the boat using it.

Edit: Though in a hypothetical situation where you actually need to run a really long cable to a boat USB would win because the twisted pair differential signal is way more resistant to noise and the protocol has error correction built in

I did read his posts. I thought he wanted to have the microcontroller on the boat, grabbing images from a camera, and sending the to a zigbee or similar wireless module. Then there'd be another zigbee or w/e on the other end connected directly to the computer, not another microcontroller.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

German Joey posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion on the easiest, quick-n-dirty way to send data from a .txt file to an MSP430? I have a .txt on my computer., generated with a perl script, filled with 0's and 1's, and I'd like to stream that through a MSP430 (a MSP430FG4618IPZ to be precise), bit-by-bit. Multiple bits at a time would be preferred, but bit-by-bit is fine. What would you guys recommend?

cat textfile.txt > /dev/lp0

The printer port is 8bits wide and has a strobe line that goes low when a new byte is presented.

Edit: Oh wait, it's a text file filled with ASCII 1 and 0? You'd have to write another perl script to convert it back into raw bytes I guess.

Edit x2: I also have a (completely unrelated) question. I have a bunch of routines in PIC assembly (written using MPLAB) that I need to pad out to exactly 27 instructions. Right now it's just done by filling in NOPs manually, but I feel like there has to be a better way. Can this be done with macros or something?

Mill Town fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 14, 2009

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

I can't speak for other brands but the internal oscillator in the PIC series isn't as accurate as an external crystal. This is important for things like accurate timing and asynchronous serial communication (USB, UART, etc.). I'm using a PIC18F26J50 in a design and its internal oscillator doesn't meet the frequency tolerance required for full-speed USB so it needs a crystal to work properly.

This is true for other brands (eg Atmel) as well.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Help me goons! I'm hooking up to an old piece of equipment from 1979 that expects your grandpa's RS232. I need a really beefy RS232 level converter. The CMOS-level side needs to be 3.3v compatible, and the RS232-level side needs to supply at least +/- 10v at a few milliamps. All of the Maxim ICs I've seen so far have been "EIA standard" +/- 5v or 6v, which is way too low for my application.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Keebler posted:

The old "True RS232" chip numbers are 1488 and 1489, the driver and transmitter are separate chips and require a bigger supply then the RS232 compatible chips. Maxim (and I'd imagine other companies like Intersil) do still make pin compatible versions of these. Maxim's is the MAX1488E and MAX1489E:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1022

Digikey sells them for around $3 each in DIP form:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=MAX1488EEPD%2B-ND

Ah, thank you. The only downside is that those need +/- 12v from the power supply. I guess maybe I could steal power from the device I'm talking to...

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

catbread.jpg posted:

One solution would be to use a buck-boost converter, controlled to a fixed output voltage of 15V.

Voltage from the snowmobile-->rectifier-->filter-->buck/boost-->12V regulator.

That will work all the time.

I'd recommend that you get rid of the 12V regulator and just use a regulated buck-boost converter that outputs 12V directly. That will be more efficient, and also simpler.

Edit: Something like this looks like a good place to start.

Mill Town fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 31, 2009

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

I have a circuit design that uses PWM to dim a number of LEDs. It's run off of 24VDC and the LEDs are connected to switching MOSFETs which switch the anode side of the LEDs to ground at a very high rate (somewhere around 20KHz).

The LEDs are arranged in series circuits of 7 with a power resistor. I just had someone tell me that the power resistor always needs to be between the cathodes and the +24V line, otherwise "any voltage spikes will not be dampened by a linear impedance".

What the hell is he talking about here? Does it really matter which side of the LEDs I put my power resistor on?

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

ANIME AKBAR posted:

hahaha no

That's what I thought, but this guy is an engineer and everything else he's told me so far has been right and he's normally smarter than me so I was really starting to doubt myself here.

catbread.jpg posted:

Also why are you switching LEDs at 20 kHz?

FLICKER-FREE DIMMING!!!!1111oneoneone. It's his design, I'm just helping with it.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Zuph posted:

This chip doesn't need nearly the external hardware that the other one does. This one's available SOIC, too, so it won't be impossible to solder.

Thinking about it more carefully, I suppose you're right. I'll just have to be careful with MAC address assignment. The filters on the ENC28J60 should safely ignore everything that I don't care about. Everything is simplified by assuming that these devices will be the only things on the network in question.

There's such a thing as a "locally administered" MAC, which basically allows you to make up MAC addresses for your own private network.

http://www.certsoft.com/mac.htm

This also has the benefit of ensuring that your gear won't conflict with any off-the-shelf gear that has a properly registered OUI.

You may be in danger of colliding with sketchy knockoff gear from China that didn't bother to pay for an OUI, but since you won't have any of that on your network, you're fine.

I'm kind of curious now, what is this project?

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Zuph posted:

For this particular project, I'd want to run the wires outside, so I'd just use an old, crappy switch that I don't care about (Plus, my Gigabit switch cranks down to 10/100 if a 10 mbps device is attached :( ). I'll disregard anything but unicast packets, anyway. If I have the time and tenacity, I might set the master node up with a full TCP stack, so I can interface to a PC that way, instead of through RS232 or similar.

Or you could write a program that makes the PC spit out the raw ethernet frames the controllers are looking for.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

Half way to the end.

Three-quarters now... this poo poo is going quick. Still can't get to the checkout page :(

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

The schematic is pretty much overkill - all you should need to reproduce is the three lines connecting the digital amp to the PIC (chip select [CS], serial clock [SCK] and slave out [SO]). The datasheet as all the info you SHOULD require, although deciphering a datasheet is a skill in-and-of itself. With such a simple SPI device (you're not even sending data to it) you can probably bit-bang it manually using digital ports pretty easy, although I'm not sure how much direct access an arduino would give you.

You pull CS low, and toggle the CLK line while reading the SO line as you go - as far as interfacing goes, it's super straightforward. Hell, with the CLK line (the clock is the major differences between synchronous and asynchronous communcation, aka SPI vs RS232) you should find that the timing can be fairly loose and still will work well.

:words:

(as an aside, I sometimes hate digikeys selection. They have lots of varieties of chips, sometimes hundreds with common chips like the 555, and very little information to differentiate them. Often times even the datasheet is mum on the differences between the small variations.)

You *can* bit-bang on the Arduino by accessing various registers directly, but there's an SPI library so you might was well use that, your code will be 10x shorter.

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/Spi

(As an aside to your aside, I once had that happen when I bought an i2c EEPROM that has an 8-byte page size, but was referencing a datasheet for a nearly-identical part that had a 16 byte page size. That caused some errors in my program :smith: )

Mill Town fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 8, 2010

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Twerpling posted:

Anyone know of a cheap uC that possesses 2 UARTs, 2 PWMs, and does not require 3.6v or less? I am working on a project that requires one, everything is designed at 5V already and I don't want to go back and remake everything.

The Atmega164PA seems to be the cheapest AVR that has what you need. 2 UARTs, 6 PWM channels, about $4.40 in single quantities from digikey.

e: also 2.7v-5.5v supply. You can probably find an equivalent PIC for the same or cheaper.
e2: but that PIC might be 3.3v only so who knows? Finding a PIC is left as an exercise to the reader.

For future reference, I used the table here to pick this out:
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/param_table.asp?family_id=607&OrderBy=1262&Direction=DESC#760

Mill Town fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 11, 2010

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Hillridge posted:

you can cut down the length of wire by adding power resistors in series with it. A 10 ohm resistor rated for 20W (or more) will reduce the wire needed by about a foot, but almost 17W of your power/heat is going to come from the resistor instead of the wire.

Alternatively, just run it in a zigzag or spiral or coil pattern so you take up less space.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Exitlights posted:

Got my Xbees and explorers from Sparkfun the other day from the free day, soldered on some pin headers, wired 'em up in a quick loop... and I got a wireless echo over my COM port! Extremely exciting. Now it's just a matter of putting the Xbees in place of the wired serial connection I was using before, and I'll have a digital, wireless R/C car controllable from my laptop.

It's a pretty newb project, but I'm pretty excited about it. I'll put up a newb video when I get the thing moving around :3:

I hate you so loving much

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

What's the trick to using an ADC and DAC with audio signals when the circuit only has a single positive supply? I've got a PIC with ADC, an SPI DAC, and an LM386 audio amp. I'd like to have the audio signal digitized by the ADC and recreated using the DAC but with the way I have it set up it only outputs varying high-frequency whines.

Virtual ground, generally. Although a lack of virtual ground shouldn't cause a whine, but rather really bad distortion.

You could narrow down the location of the problem by outputting a known audio signal (say, a 440Hz sine wave) through the DAC. If it works, the problem's on the ADC side, if it's still a high-pitched whine, problem's on the DAC side.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Popete posted:

So is this just saying that before the voltage/current re-enters the source it will equal 0? I just thought measuring voltage after it runs through a resistor still came out to a set voltage and not 0.

Voltage is across things, current is through things. Talking about voltage "through" a resistor doesn't mean anything.

E: This is also why you put your multimeter in series with something to measure current, but you put it in parallel with something to measure voltage.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Keeping your iron tip clean and free of oxidation will help it last much longer. Use this after every connection or two and this any time the tip looks dirty and won't get clean and it should last for a long time.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Cyril Sneer posted:

3) You need to either have the dongle/amplifier physically at the antenna, or you'll have to located the antenna in close proximity to your PC.

A 5m USb cable is fine, a 5m coax run is... less fine. Definitely put the dongle at the antenna and run a long USB cable.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

Any idea what these are?

They look like capacitors but they're labeled with things like "100 16S 2QN" and I couldn't find anything on Google that matches.

I'm salvaging and sorting parts from old electronics and I find that a lot of them have stuff not easily recognizable to me, even after consulting some how-to sites and guides.

Those are definitely capacitors. They look like the surface mount variety but the picture's too blurry to tell for sure.

I'm not sure how the codes for these work, let me have a look around.

e: They're electrolytics, the black band is the negative terminal

e2: OK, it looks like the first number is probably capacitance in microfarads, the second probably voltage rating. The rest could be anything. This datasheet doesn't quite match up (2 lines of numbers instead of 3) but 100µF at 16V seems like a reasonable rating for a capacitor: http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-data/pdf/ABA0000/ABA0000CE2.pdf

e3: Post some more numbers from different caps and let's see if they seem like reasonable ratings.

Mill Town fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 28, 2010

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Entone posted:

Hey guys. I'm currently in the process of restoring a 1940's Silvertone radio/45rpm Record Player. Here's the original photoshop of my idea. I'm adding the avr32 ngw100 board as my microcontroller, and on top of that I'm adding an homemade board that has a ac97 codec for audio. I'm going to add 6 IN-4 nixie lights for a clock, plus 4 IN-13 tubes for a vu bargraph. On top of that it will have rca out, plus a dual am and fm transmitter; so, I can play my mp3s to other antiques around the house.

You can view my updates @ http://epicdistraction.com

My question is: I accidentally broke one of the knobs/switches, and want to replace it with something that better fits its functionality. I'm trying to find a rotary switch that Single-Pole and two or three throw. I'm also looking for a near impossible feature. I want it to be self righting/center/neutralizing. So I can get knob that looks similar to an arrow and you can use it to go through the directory tree. I could get a SP3T rotary switch, but it would require manual effort to center the knob.

fake edit: should I make a thread over the project?

Yes, please make a thread! To answer your question, here is a spring-return 3P3T part, on which you could just ignore two of the poles: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=E3G0603N-2-ND

Edit: Oh wait, I didn't see that price. :gonk:

Someone must have this sort of thing cheaper!

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

ludnix posted:

:words:

Does the light go off if you disconnect the SSR from the Arduino? How about if you disconnect the high-voltage side of the SSR as well?

If not, you've probably wired something wrong on the high-voltage side. Can you draw us a diagram of that?

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

bolind posted:

Hello

I have an idea, that I'd like an informed opinion on.

I'm an emerging coffee/espresso nerd. I've already modified my espresso machine with PID temperature control, and now it's the grinder's turn.

My grinder is dumb as a box of rocks. One switch, one electric AC motor, that's it. Fancier, more expensive grinders have timers, so you set a given grind time (8.3 seconds, for instance), and you just push a button once, and the grinder runs for the specified duration. This results in the same amount of coffee for your espresso every time, which is desirable.

I'd like to modify my grinder to do the same. Does a component exist, that:

Runs on 230VAC only (12V or 24V is doable, but less desirable)
Let's me adjust the delay
Will close a relay (SSR maybe) for, say, ten seconds after a quick press of a button.

I think the power draw is around 300-400W.

Apologies if this is more of an "electrician" question and less of an "electronics" question.

You can get adjustable time-delay relays. They are commonly found in elevator systems.

However, they're expensive, and you can save a lot of money building something like this:
http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/relaytim.asp

Note that the 555 is not very precise for long time delays, so it may not give you exactly the results you are looking for. It's cheap though, so it's probably worth trying.

Also you'll need to make sure your relay draws less than 200mA, which should be easy enough.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

dv6speed posted:

Instead of a relay you could also use a transistor and a triac and go the solid state route. The 555 should work fine for you coffee grinder needs. You will need to build a small power supply circuit unless you want to use batteries.

You should probably use an optocoupler instead of a transistor to control the triac so you keep 120V out of your low-voltage stuff, but otherwise, yeah, that's good advice.

e: You'll need one with a triac output, something like this: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=160-1372-5-ND

Mill Town fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 7, 2010

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Scarboy posted:

The valve looks like it just a switch that opens when you give it 12V.

A solenoid valve is basically like a relay, but for fluids. This particular one is the equivalent of SPDT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

I'm not an expert either, but I'm wondering 1) what's with the voltage followers in there and 2) why aren't you using a dedicated comparator like the LM339?