Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Also, leaded solder makes it easier to know if you did it right. Shiny solder = you probably did it right and it's a strong joint. Dull solder = you probably did it wrong and it's a weak joint. Whereas lead free is always dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He didn't point at each of us and say "patent pending" at each person, so he's pretty much screwed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

shovelbum posted:

So much hobby poo poo now is "watch my Arduino blink a light" or "I 3D printed an anime model someone else made" I love this content

That's always what hobby poo poo has been. "Check out this radioshack kit I bought and followed the instructions to make"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Infinite budget videos are pretty lame.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can't test capacitors in a circuit because you don't know where the charge will go.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I looked up HDMI licensing and it seems that it's 5-10k per year depending on volume plus 15 cents per unit plus 5 cents if you use the logo. So you probably can't just put it in and then not put the logo on the product.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think HDMI and DVI only share some basic similarities with the signal, and the higher end stuff and audio belongs to HDMI. But you could probably get away with being small enough that you aren't making that many devices and then saying "I didn't know, I just bought some parts from digikey and googled how to get HDMI to work in my circuit." That, or just go with displayport.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Adafruit has a switched potentiometer.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3393

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you find a pot that you like and you're willing to do custom stuff, you could hack together your own "switch" feel. Make your own knob with a 3D printer or whatever that's hollow between the outer edge and the inner part that attaches to the potentiometer. Put a little notch or a bump on the inner part and then use some spring steel that latches onto it to make it feel like a switch. And then just treat that value as "off".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oh yeah, I forgot that roller switches exist. Put one of these guys next to the potentiometer so that it runs along the rim of a circle with a notch cut in it for when it needs to turn off. Run the potentiometer through the normally open pin so it turns off when the switch opens.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Fill the entire box with dielectric grease

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How did they know when they had the right frequency?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's all kinds of cool poo poo for Apollo. It's more programming than electronics, but this video about how the computer actually works and how advanced it really was is really great if you have an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx7Lfh5SKUQ

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If it's six volts, it's probably some custom IC.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You just need to learn some basic electricity stuff and learn how a multimeter does what it does. When measuring voltage, you have to put the meter in parallel with the component because every component in parallel has the same voltage. The meter runs the current through a really high resistor like a megaohm so it doesn't siphon much current off of what you're trying measure. When measuring current, you have to be in series because the meter acts like a wire and will take all the current it can, so it needs some component in series with it to slow the current down. Hopefully your meter wasn't too expensive and now you know. Hopefully it just blew the fuse and you just have to replace that and maybe you might need to replace the probes. But the fuse should be there to protect the probes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Probably cheapness. The cheap ones only have the power rails go halfway. Busboard boards are expensive but they are high quality and the power rails go all the way down.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I had to keep telling my lab partner that the boards we had only went halfway

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It has 10 pins because the company bought 10 pin connectors but only needed 8 of them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Are you sure that's 2K? Maybe the colors on your picture are messed up, or it's because it got burnt up, but that looks like a 4 band resistor that's brown grey black silver, which is 18 ohms.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The knockoff arduinos are just as good as a regular arduino for newbie stuff. The only differences are they might use older bootloaders, so you have to select "old bootloader" under the processor. And sometimes the programming connector is rotated 180 degrees, but a newbie isn't going to be programming the microprocessor through the pins, they'll be using USB. They are common enough that you can either ask in here or the arduino thread, or the name of the board you get with the error and someone has already run across it and has a fix.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you want to know how computers really work, buy Ben Eater's kits.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't even bother with arduinos or 74xx chips. Just get an FPGA and go nuts making your own logic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Stack Machine posted:

Looking at the trajectory of my own recent hobby projects, I went from using shift registers on the PC parallel port to programming PIC16s with the same to using Lattice ICEstick FPGA boards with the ICEStorm toolchain, and it's not like each replaced the others. This is a palette of techniques to draw from where each is appropriate for a different set of requirements. Depending on what your first project is, any or none of these may be appropriate. I've only ever used arduinos for work as kind of a cheap universal adapter/interface cable but they have a really quick learning curve if you're comfortable in C. The PIC16 I mentioned is super cheap and sips power at 32kHz but its instruction set is so limited that it's not really practical to program with anything but an assembler. FPGAs are also better at precise timing if you're generating a video signal, RF, or some other timing critical data. Something like the MCP4221 is great if you just want to toggle relays and read slowly changing data from a USB port. Also don't forget that the Raspberry Pi has programmable GPIO pins if you want your very own Intranet-of-Trash.

The Arduino is a great place to start for baby's first flashing LED, but there's a whole world out there of interesting bridges between code-land and wire-land that are very cheap and won't take up much space in your lab. Start a few projects and play with a few options.

I tried to use an icestick but they require you to get a license file for their free software. No amount of trying could make their website send me a license file. I returned the icestick and bought a numato Mimas v2 and haven't looked back. Having to run the software in a VM kind of sucks, but it's whatever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What is a good open source tool for verilog?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The workflow is whatever you want it to be. Look at what other people have done for similar projects and just see where it goes and try things until it works. If it works and meets your requirements and doesn't burn your house down, you did it right.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You could do all kinds of crazy stuff, but I imagine your idea to just have it rotate a pulley you know the dimensions of is easiest. Or do it the way old sailors did. Mark the rope every few whatever measurements you want and use a color/light sensor to count the markings.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I posted in the tools thread but I figure y'all would probably have more experience with this problem.
I've got a fluke 87v that is reading 2 or 3 ohms when the leads are shorted. It also reads either 2 or 3 ohms high when measuring resistance. Any recommendations on where to send it for service or how to resolve this problem myself? Fluke wants $150 just to calibrate it and that's a little much considering that's what I paid for the tool in the first place.

Have you tried some deoxit on the the leads and connections?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I didn't spend too much time looking, but that doesn't look much more complicated than the schematic. That chip there is a voltage level translator. everything else looks like capacitors, resistors and transistors.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Forseti posted:

Old school guitar amp trick was to put an incandescent lightbulb in series. I did that to a Class A tube amp I has to allow it to achieve that desirable tube distortion at non earsplitting levels. Basically the bulb conducts well at low power but higher power causes it to light up which in turn increases the resistance and compresses the wave.

Not sure how feasible this is for the low power of headphones or how feasible it is for audio reproduction rather than creation with regard to distortion but could be a fun experiment if you have some tiny christmas light bulbs or something like that handy.

What do you put it in series with? Just put it in series with the power cord or modify the amp circuit to put a bulb in?

Edit: I looked it up, you put the bulb in the wire from the amp to the speaker.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 11, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Was that person wiring TX to TX and RX to RX or something?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

insta posted:

Learning electronics: The chicken is the fuse

Slow blow with audio alarm.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does it draw more current when it faces resistance? You could hook up a current meter to it and then have software to reverse it if it faces more resistance than normal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It being your property doesn't matter if someone figures out how to hurt themselves and sue you

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
When bees are attacked by hornets, they swarm the hornet and start vibrating which raises their temperature above what the hornet can handle and it dies. Can you teach your chickens to do that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Learning Electronics: My chickens keep releasing the magic blue smoke from all these small children

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
But if you want to hire me, I'd be willing to watch the camera feed to stop the door if something obstructs it for $20 an hour.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What kind did you get?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Stack Machine posted:

I've always wanted to try to get a really pro look by buying an extruded aluminum case and having faceplate/back panels laser cut in 2-tone acrylic for highly legible etched lettering and holes for switches/connectors/screws. The only machining operation required for this would maybe be counter-sinking for the screws. I think it could look more polished than a 3D print but I've never seen it done.

I doubt it would be all that hard. Getting the acrylic piece done up is easy, just design and order it. Have screw holes in the design. then you just need a countersink bit. attach the acrylic to a bit of plywood or something and drill in the tapers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah I wouldn't mess with that stuff unless I had a solid EE background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Dang that machining is expensive