Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

"a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative [robot]"
I would say that diodes, including LEDs, are passive semiconductor devices, and not active.

Also, an IC is neither active or passive by definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

UserNotFound posted:

Also, if anyone is building a +/- adjustable linear regulated supply, I could draw you up a quick circuit so the positive and negative voltages track (are always the same and adjusted with one potentiometer). I could also put in a ratio knob so the negative supply can be set to half (or whatever) of the positive supply. I don't know if there's a good schematic for this online, but I could draw it up for you in no time at all.

There's a good schematic for this online.

http://www.circuithut.com/index.php?/circuit/content/view/full/343

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

The Radiskull posted:

Im soon to be building an amp for the sub in my 5.1 somthing around 400w rms. Im not the best with amps so any tested circuits would be cool.

You probably won't have a hard time find schematics for this. For example,

http://sound.westhost.com/project68.htm

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

If I were actually trying to learn electronics from this thread, I'd be so drat confused.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

clredwolf posted:

Yeah I have that impression too :( Oh well, I'll try to keep it going. Would cleaning up the articles help, or should they be rewritten?

I would personally start from scratch.

This thread was polluted by diagrams of transistors and LEDs and crap on page one. It should have started with volt, amps, Ohm's law, and resistors. Then you learn about DC circuits with multiple resistors and solve for V and I via KCL and KVL. Then you learn about combining resistors in series and parallel. Then you learn about Thevenin and Norton. Then you learn about the capacitor as a circuit element in the time domain - paying no attention to the electromagnetics behind its operation. Then you learn about DC RC circuits. Then you learn about inductors as a circuit element in the time domain - once again paying no attention to how an inductor actually works. Then you learn DC RL circuits. Then DC RLC circuits.

You get the idea. Basically follow the curriculum of any first-year circuits course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Hillridge posted:

I thought of a good project, though it's legality is dubious.

Every FM transmitter (for ipods, etc.) on the market sucks. My theory as to why, is that FCC laws limit the transmit power to something so low a sneeze will cause static.

How about we crack open one of these guys and see about boosting the signal power? I think I may have a few at home I bought off Woot.

I think this can easily be done by simply adding a tuned antenna, or via the more involved route of actually building an amplifier.

No problem.

Build this:

http://www.electronics-diy.com/BA1404_Stereo_FM_Transmitter.php

This is a very nice FM transmitter because it's actually stereo. Most schematics you find on the net are not.

And add any RF amplifier you'd like after it (provided it has a good frequency response on the FM frequency range).

This looks pretty cool:

http://www.irational.org/sic/radio/40w-no-tune-amp.html