Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’ve seen people say (I think in AI actually) it’s a lovely thing to do but I just googled it and found a car wash owner forum and it seemed like there were more “eh it’s the cost of doing business” than “it really sucks poo poo” so I’ve actually had my mind changed about it now and I would now say it seems okay as long as there aren’t signs posted against it and it isn’t so bad that it’s gonna ruin the bay for the next person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

bird with big dick posted:

Well I might have made all that up but it could be true for someone who knows?

bird with big dick posted:

I’ve seen people say (I think in AI actually) it’s a lovely thing to do but I just googled it and found a car wash owner forum and it seemed like there were more “eh it’s the cost of doing business” than “it really sucks poo poo” so I’ve actually had my mind changed about it now and I would now say it seems okay as long as there aren’t signs posted against it and it isn’t so bad that it’s gonna ruin the bay for the next person.

This was a wild ride, thank you BWAD

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Dang I was about to ask since I think I recall seeing that you were in the reno or carson city area if you could accommodate my truck camper and now your made up car wash has lost my business

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Safety Dance posted:

This was a wild ride, thank you BWAD

Lol I was afraid you might be mad sorry if I made you feel bad for a second just me being an rear end in a top hat :cheers:

Steve French posted:

Dang I was about to ask since I think I recall seeing that you were in the reno or carson city area if you could accommodate my truck camper and now your made up car wash has lost my business

Lmao

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

fuckin lmao at the av :cheers:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
25+ years ago I drove a very muddy Hardbody into a local coin-op car wash. After spending five bux in the 90s and going to town, an old man drove up and said specifically "I got your license plate number and gave it to the sheriff. If you ever come back I'll call the cops."
That place was open 24 hours and absolutely didn't have a camera; it may as well have been an invitation. 🥲

EDIT

I think it was muddier than this

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 9, 2023

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I went “muddin’” in my s10 blazer in high school early 90s bc the cheerleaders were having a car wash. They thought it was great but the cheerleader coach or advisor or whatever was so pissed off. These were all friends.

But…the gas station with an auto wash once would t take the code from buying gas and the cashier gave me a code to use. Well I figured out that was the master code and when we’d go off road I’d run through that thing like 5-6 times in a row in that blazer. For like 2 years straight

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Vampire Panties posted:

Absolute nightmare, I couldn't get Google to lock onto either course and I ended up wasting something like two hours basically driving in a circle. By the time I got back to the approved detour route, the fire on the Grapevine was cleared and the detour was empty. :shrug: sorta kismet - instead of waiting in traffic for two hours I basically toured the Angeles national forest :shrug:

Have you tried OpenStreetMaps, have they mapped these areas?

I've used it during bicycle trips during the past month and it usually has even the smallest forest paths. But Helsinki region is thoroughly mapped in OSM and other regions may not be as good.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Another good map resource to keep under the back seat is a Benchmark Road & Rec Atlas. They make them for a bunch of states (possibly all 50?), and are quite accurate when it comes to established offroad trails at the beginner level and sometimes more. Best part is their battery will never die, you can't drop it and break it, and it's GPS signal won't get jammed for a week by a nearby military base doing an exercise.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

got me thinking of the car wash thats in Moab, UT. that place has seen some poo poo lmao.

i went in to wash my bike off and there was a line of muddy side by sides and jeeps down the block

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Only clean cars allowed in the car wash.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

yummycheese posted:

got me thinking of the car wash thats in Moab, UT. that place has seen some poo poo lmao.

That poor man must never see his family because he stuck down in the coal mud mines shoveling gravel.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Only clean cars allowed in the car wash.

I saw signs like that in Texas when I lived in the Austin area for 3-4 years.

Completely bizarre, eg. No washing out truck beds, no 4x4 washing, etc. I can sort of get cleaning out truck beds with farms nearby,but it was weird.

I can't imaging that power wash place on main street in Moab pulling that stunt :D

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The power wash place on main street in Moab could probably charge $5/minute if they wanted

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Safety Dance posted:

The power wash place on main street in Moab could probably charge $5/minute if they wanted

It would probably be worth it to setup a prewash system. Maybe just a frame surrounded by power washers that you drive through before the main wash.

That's something I've wished for for long, just something I can drive through to get a quick rinse for my car. Using a car wash doesn't feel like worth the time and money, since the car will be covered in filth by the time I go for the next drive.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Finally got a chance to go off pavement for the first time in my Xterra. This is Horse Pasture Road in upstate SC. It's not technical at all, but still a lot of fun. It's about 7 miles of dirt and gravel with a lot of elevation and some nice views on the way up.

At the top is a place called Jumping Off Rock which overlooks Lake Jocassee.

They have some camp sites that overlook the lake. This may be my first overnight trip once I grab a few things to be able to sleep in the truck.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Ehud posted:

Finally got a chance to go off pavement for the first time in my Xterra. This is Horse Pasture Road in upstate SC. It's not technical at all, but still a lot of fun. It's about 7 miles of dirt and gravel with a lot of elevation and some nice views on the way up.

At the top is a place called Jumping Off Rock which overlooks Lake Jocassee.

They have some camp sites that overlook the lake. This may be my first overnight trip once I grab a few things to be able to sleep in the truck.

I need to get over that way. I'm close to Charlotte and I always hear great things about the Lake Jocassee area.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Paulie posted:

I need to get over that way. I'm close to Charlotte and I always hear great things about the Lake Jocassee area.

My old iPhone pics don't do it justice. Really beautiful area.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Outback Wilderness is extremely adequate for the fire roads around Big Bear. But also I saw a Focus ST driving up 3N09, so ymmv.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I picked up a Garmin PowerSwitch, but I might return it. The Bluetooth and Android Auto capabilities are really cool, but I'm not otherwise impressed with its functionality for the price.

The "control inputs" are finicky, one of my lights got stuck on and I had to factory reset to turn it off. Then the second time through, the control input wasn't saving.

Also, I'm not a big fan of how the control inputs work. They automatically turn things on/off when the input terminal is powered. For example, if I wire my ignition to the control input terminal, the device assigned to this control input automatically turns on with the ignition. Turns off when the car is shut off.

However, the functionality that I was seeing did not even allow me to use the switch when the control input was set.

Really, what I'm looking for is for the switch to become active when the control input is powered. But it looks like the only way to do that would be to wire in an additional relay. I would like some more customizationability for how much this thing costs.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I looked into it when it came out and was similarly confused as to its narrow use case. You might be closer to needing a racecar style PDM that has Boolean logic and conditional inputs.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've been playing with it. Disconnecting it from the main power doesn't appear to make it lose its connection info, at least in the 20 minutes I had it disconnected. But once I reconnected it to the battery, my Bluetooth connected to it immediately and it worked with no problem.

So I could wire the main power through a relay triggered by an ignition source, then the thing would turn off when the car is shut off.

I would still need separate relays if I wanted the driving lights to turn off with high beams, however.

It's pretty strange though, they have all of this potential functionality that could be controlled 100% through software, but didn't bother developing any options for it besides acting as an incredibly basic switch.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

As implemented, is it significantly different from a Trigger wireless controller? https://triggercontroller.com/

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Is there an overlanding/sleeping in your car outside thread or is this the closest thing? I've been building a DIY pop-up camper (like a go-fast) for a while and am looking for a place to bounce some ideas around for a platform for the bed to go with it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Is there an overlanding/sleeping in your car outside thread or is this the closest thing? I've been building a DIY pop-up camper (like a go-fast) for a while and am looking for a place to bounce some ideas around for a platform for the bed to go with it.

There's an RV / trailer camping thread over in TGO: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895768&pagenumber=21&perpage=40

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Perfect thank you!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

As implemented, is it significantly different from a Trigger wireless controller? https://triggercontroller.com/

Not significantly. The Garmin has the control inputs, and is smaller, and has Android Auto. Not sure if Trigger does Android Auto? The Garmin also integrates with their Tread and Overlander units. The Trigger also has a battery powered RF switch unit with physical switches you can mount wherever.

I was reading some people weren't happy with the Trigger's reliability, but I don't know for sure.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Clear lake Colorado. Sort of in between babby’s first Jeep trail and just a really lovely road.

Split screen side cams make tire placement on narrow trails pretty easy:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
You've got the stripes, now you need some classic BIGFOOT decals to really finish up the look.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Great side decals.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Maybe a long shot, but:

Does anyone have experience with or knowledge of Solo Motorsports or Desolate Motorsports? Specifically looking at their respective “stage 2” 4 inch lift suspension kits for our 93 bronco, keeping the twin traction beam setup. It’s got a 4” lift on it now but it was put on 20 years ago and it was a low end procomp kit then and hasn’t been touched since. We recently reacquired the truck and want to get it in good running order. We have plenty of vehicles so not aiming to compromise between daily driving and off road. We’re also not gonna be rock crawling with it, or probably doing anything rowdy enough to justify a bigger lift. Looking at one of the setups with fox shocks, either one or two up front, debating whether plating/reinforcement of the beams is necessary. Local shop suggested if we were to size up from 33” to 35” tires that they’d recommend it to ensure it can handle the stress from the extra weight

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Question about airing down/up.

If I get somewhere, and my tires are at.....32psi lets say, and I lower that to 22 psi,
When I'm done doing whatever, should I just automatically put 10 psi back in to the tires?
If I check the tire pressures after doing whatever offroading and they're higher than the 22psi (from the heat of driving/moving) that I lowered them to, will adding 10 psi while hot cause any issues? Like the pressure will end up being too high once I start driving on road again?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

If I get somewhere, and my tires are at.....32psi lets say, and I lower that to 22 psi,
When I'm done doing whatever, should I just automatically put 10 psi back in to the tires?
If I check the tire pressures after doing whatever offroading and they're higher than the 22psi (from the heat of driving/moving) that I lowered them to, will adding 10 psi while hot cause any issues? Like the pressure will end up being too high once I start driving on road again?

In theory the air you added is cold, so when it heats up it will expand a little bit. In practice it won't make a big difference, just check your tires again the next morning and adjust if necessary.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I've honestly never thought much about it, i just put the tires back to my desired set point and go on my way.
I guess just check them the next morning and fill as needed if you're really concerned about it.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Yeah it’s different if it’s a sports car at a track or something but for off-roading I just air down and back up to the desired PSI.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Steve French posted:

Maybe a long shot, but:

Does anyone have experience with or knowledge of Solo Motorsports or Desolate Motorsports? Specifically looking at their respective “stage 2” 4 inch lift suspension kits for our 93 bronco, keeping the twin traction beam setup. It’s got a 4” lift on it now but it was put on 20 years ago and it was a low end procomp kit then and hasn’t been touched since. We recently reacquired the truck and want to get it in good running order. We have plenty of vehicles so not aiming to compromise between daily driving and off road. We’re also not gonna be rock crawling with it, or probably doing anything rowdy enough to justify a bigger lift. Looking at one of the setups with fox shocks, either one or two up front, debating whether plating/reinforcement of the beams is necessary. Local shop suggested if we were to size up from 33” to 35” tires that they’d recommend it to ensure it can handle the stress from the extra weight

Closing the loop here we are going with the Desolate stage 2 with some TTB reinforcements. Stupid amount of money but hey it’s just money I can always make more right?

Should be getting installed in 3 weeks or so. Will report back.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm not in the market for tires, but I'm reading in various places that some people love Michelin Defender LTX for off road in everything but mud? I thought they were a CUV highway tire? My wife's Ford Edge came with them standard, and they've been great in all weather road use, but never took that off road. I don't think there's any AT that does well in mud, but I think my biggest concern would be durability on rocks taking chunks out and stuff like that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I don't think there's any AT that does well in mud, but I think my biggest concern would be durability on rocks taking chunks out and stuff like that.

BFG KO2s do pretty great in the mud for me - for not being a mud tire (which are death traps on wet pavement), and have a kevlar sidewall. There is another thread favorite I can't recall that by all reports perform as good or better than the KO2s.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

FogHelmut posted:

I'm not in the market for tires, but I'm reading in various places that some people love Michelin Defender LTX for off road in everything but mud? I thought they were a CUV highway tire? My wife's Ford Edge came with them standard, and they've been great in all weather road use, but never took that off road. I don't think there's any AT that does well in mud, but I think my biggest concern would be durability on rocks taking chunks out and stuff like that.

My GX470 came with a basically new set of Defender LTX M/S , and they've been pretty great with most things I've thrown at them, whether it be snow, long highway trips (quiet and wear well) and some moderate offroading (in terms of traction on mostly dry rocky/dirt trails, no mud). However, I did have a handful of small, patchable leaks (not full on flats) when I was offroading more often that in my mind wouldn't have happened with a burlier all terrain tire. I've finally, a few years later, worn them down enough to justify getting a new set, and I'm likely going to switch to an AT that is decent on the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Splinter posted:

My GX470 came with a basically new set of Defender LTX M/S , and they've been pretty great with most things I've thrown at them, whether it be snow, long highway trips (quiet and wear well) and some moderate offroading (in terms of traction on mostly dry rocky/dirt trails, no mud). However, I did have a handful of small, patchable leaks (not full on flats) when I was offroading more often that in my mind wouldn't have happened with a burlier all terrain tire. I've finally, a few years later, worn them down enough to justify getting a new set, and I'm likely going to switch to an AT that is decent on the highway.

I put a set on my Ranger because they're full-depth siped and love them so far with just street use. Seems like it would be beneficial for their ability to conform to surfaces off-road and by providing some flex, but also seems like the siping would make individual tread blocks very fragile on sharp rocks and such.