Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Wow, I want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Hypnolobster posted:

What happened to it?
I'd imagine it broke free from captivity, and can still occasionally be spotted in the wild, preying on teenagers in rental Jeeps for food like a cross between Sasquatch and Killdozer.

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

What happened to it?

It got old and wore out- for example the cab it has in the picture was its 4th or 5th (cabs on wide trucks don't last very long on narrow trails, esp. when they're rotting out anyway). It was my uncle's truck, and he ran it from about 1983 to around 2002. The truck itself is sitting on the ground rotting away, however the motor lives on in a tow truck, the transmission in a 1965 Chevelle, and the axles are waiting to be put under a new mud truck (an old Chevy flatbed).

russ6570 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 3, 2008

Shpidah!
Mar 13, 2002

Wordsmythe
God this thread makes me want to get my drat Mitsu running soon. Stupid Mikuni carb! I'm guessing a Weber 38 will run me around $300 if I shop online. Any recommendations?

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
gently caress it, i'm just going to install my current suspension lift and gears. My IFS axle is plenty strong for the places i go considering they shut down Wellsville. I can fit my 35s and have some fun.

Meaty Potato
Jun 3, 2006

Come Down on Me
This thread makes me miss my old K5 :(

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Toucan Sam posted:

gently caress it, i'm just going to install my current suspension lift and gears. My IFS axle is plenty strong for the places i go considering they shut down Wellsville. I can fit my 35s and have some fun.

Ive never heard the words "IFS" and "Strong" used in the same sentance before!

Over here, the toyota Landcruisers' with IFS are renowned for blowing up differentials on the front end if you do something as silly as reverse up a hill.

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I've owned 14 vehicles since I was 17 simply due to me running them into the ground(mud). I'm 20.

This is a Subaru that I never got to drive. It's my old boss's project car.

This was my most current DD; '92 Legacy It stopped being my DD after drunk dumbass in the backseat decided to pull the e-brake while I'm going 80MPH on a highway in Alaska. On New Years Eve. After snowfall.

An Isuzu Trooper that I had. All stock, except for the free torsion bar crank lift.

I had pictures of my '92 4Runner (Detroit locker in rear, ARB Air Locker in front, 3" body, 3" suspension lifts) but I guess I lost them. I'll look around just for you guys, the thing was beastly. I've rolled it twice and sold it when the auto-start magically started while parked in gear and drove into my house. That one was fun to fix.

And here's my dog, as a bonus. Benji here was in the back of the 4Runner the first time I flipped it. He started to lick my unconscious face to wake me up. Woke up to being on the driver's side, gasoline aroma in the air, engine still running and this little dude telling me to get the gently caress out of the car. He has yet to get into another vehicle with me, and it's been nearly 2.5 years.

Dividend Special fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 4, 2008

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

stump posted:

Aw man I'm jealous of you guys with proper 4x4's. I get to do a bit of light offroading at work (pretty much just green laning) but it can become quite fun in a something that is just a front wheel drive jacked up supermini.

We have a TD5 Landrover 90 at work too, but I'm not 25 yet so I'm not insured. :( Our fusion and transit can pretty much get anywhere we need to though, with a bit of patience and luck.

:o: What do you do for work, where do you work, do you have any jobs going? :)

Troph
Aug 30, 2004
all i got is this picture, havent taken it out in a bout a year.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Can 1X2s play too?

While it lacks doors, a roof, roll bars, seat belts, and 2 other wheels it's been a fun thing to use to climb over CO mountains or cross mexico.

It's a 2003 BMW F650GS Dakar with 2 additional forward fuel tanks (grey blobs) which gravity feed into the under seat tank. Ohlins rear suspension, progressive front springs, with a touratech rack/cases on the back and a mounting plate for a pelican 1550 case.

I'm looking forward to hitting up the White Rim Trail this spring and doing the arctic ocean from August - Sept.

PS: I like 4x4 drivers because they help me pick it up in the middle of no where.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Ferremit posted:

Over here, the toyota Landcruisers' with IFS are renowned for blowing up differentials on the front end if you do something as silly as reverse up a hill.

The front axle is actually pretty decent in the 91-94 Explorer. They went to the lovely cv axles in 95. The 91-94 still uses the Ranger setup.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

PlasticSun posted:

Can 1X2s play too?

While it lacks doors, a roof, roll bars, seat belts, and 2 other wheels it's been a fun thing to use to climb over CO mountains or cross mexico.

It's a 2003 BMW F650GS Dakar with 2 additional forward fuel tanks (grey blobs) which gravity feed into the under seat tank. Ohlins rear suspension, progressive front springs, with a touratech rack/cases on the back and a mounting plate for a pelican 1550 case.

I'm looking forward to hitting up the White Rim Trail this spring and doing the arctic ocean from August - Sept.

PS: I like 4x4 drivers because they help me pick it up in the middle of no where.

That's absolutely beautiful.

How often do you get to go adventuring?

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Hypnolobster posted:

That's absolutely beautiful.

How often do you get to go adventuring?
Thanks!
I live in CO so after the snow melts in late May I can get up into the mountains as much as I please, around April I start getting pretty stir crazy and head out to Moab or other areas. I try to schedule at least one large trip per year. 2007 was Mexico, 2006 was all around north west USA, and the year before was out to the MotoGP in Laguna Seca.

This year Skier and I are looking at a 30 day, 12,700 mile trip up to Deadhorse, Alaska in Purdhoe Bay on the arctic sea. We're looking to run the Dempster highway, the Dawson highway, Denali highway and see places like Homer, Seward, Haines, Kenai Fjords and spend 4 days kayaking in glacier bay while doing backcountry camping. I'm hoping to hit the black rock desert on the way back and if my chain has any life left in it taking a possible second stab at Death Valley.

I wrote up a trip report a couple of months ago about the mexico trip if you're interested at all. I'll warn you though it's really long and very rambling: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2691717

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
There's nothing to see in Seward other than a lot of crackheads and dirty crackwhores. Seriously. Homer is the same way except every other households grows and sell marijuana.

Go enjoy the night life in Anchorage instead.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Ferremit posted:

That's generally true to an extent.

I think the only stock IFS's that are very strong from the factory are the Humvee/Hummer H1 and some of the other heavy duty/military trucks like some of the OSHKOSH rigs.

Otherwise you'll have to beef up the stock rigs, unless some of the trucks you see in rally racing [ie. trophy trucks in baja] are using stock OE a-arms but I doubt it.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

PlasticSun posted:

Can 1X2s play too?

Of course you can play. Your bike is what I plan to have some day. I'm hoping that the release of the new bmw will drive the f650 price down some. If not I may just get a KlR650 and ride that.

And speaking of helping motorcyclists. I had a friend call me and ask me to bring a tow strap out to him. Well when I show up he isn't stuck and their is a guy in motorcycle gear sitting in my friends truck. He tried to cross a river, fell over and the bike washed a ways down stream. So we had to attach the strap to the truck and then I floated down stream and hooked it on the bike. We finally got it out and my friend drove him home.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Dividend Special posted:

There's nothing to see in Seward other than a lot of crackheads and dirty crackwhores. Seriously. Homer is the same way except every other households grows and sell marijuana.

Go enjoy the night life in Anchorage instead.

I've always preferred the company of hippies and lose women to that of night club owners and expensive drinks. I think I'll take my chances with the smaller towns.

Thanks for the input though.

quote:

Of course you can play. Your bike is what I plan to have some day. I'm hoping that the release of the new bmw will drive the f650 price down some. If not I may just get a KlR650 and ride that.

And speaking of helping motorcyclists. I had a friend call me and ask me to bring a tow strap out to him. Well when I show up he isn't stuck and their is a guy in motorcycle gear sitting in my friends truck. He tried to cross a river, fell over and the bike washed a ways down stream. So we had to attach the strap to the truck and then I floated down stream and hooked it on the bike. We finally got it out and my friend drove him home.

One thing to keep in mind if you do go the BMW route is that the parts are expensive. It's a great bike though and one that could easily be a do-it-all bike. 800 mile days are not much of a concern on it, and I've seen many people far more skilled than myself launch the 650 up some crazy stuff.

I can't even count how many times 4X4 drivers have helped me out in a pinch. Aside from a few people in rentals they've all been incredibly nice when you meet them on the trail. If any of you are comming out to CO anytime to explore all the amazing roads drop me a PM, I'd be happy to show you a few maps or tag along for a day or two.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

PlasticSun posted:

If any of you are comming out to CO anytime to explore all the amazing roads drop me a PM, I'd be happy to show you a few maps or tag along for a day or two.

I may take you up on that soon. I am going to be taking a extended trip soon and may be seeing family up in Greeley.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
For anyone in the southwest, there is a big Calico [A ghost town near Barstow, CA] cleanup event.

http://www.calicocleanup.com/

I'm planning on showing up with a few of my buddies, just passing the word for keeping our trails clean. This event is in conjunction with the BLM, for garbage pickup and wreck removal.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Troph posted:

all i got is this picture, havent taken it out in a bout a year.

look at them pizza cutters!

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Atticus_1354 posted:

I may take you up on that soon. I am going to be taking a extended trip soon and may be seeing family up in Greeley.

Awesome! PM me when you know what dates you're thinking of being here.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Dividend Special posted:

stuff

Mike? Looks like you leave near Lake Otis and Tudor?

PlasticSun posted:

This year Skier and I are looking at a 30 day, 12,700 mile trip up to Deadhorse, Alaska in Purdhoe Bay on the arctic sea. We're looking to run the Dempster highway, the Dawson highway, Denali highway and see places like Homer, Seward, Haines, Kenai Fjords and spend 4 days kayaking in glacier bay while doing backcountry camping.

Call me when you get to Juneau.

323LX
Feb 17, 2004
"Thank you for taking a ride on the Infinite Sadness Express..."
Here's my '06 Jeep Wrangler at Rausch Creek a couple weekends ago. 2" suspension lift, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, control arm skids, engine/oil pan skid, that's about it. I'm in the process of trying to dig up enough cash for a 4" short arm and swaybar disconnects. I'm open/open right now, hoping to change that in the not too distant future as well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?

323LX posted:

I'm open/open right now, hoping to change that in the not too distant future as well.

Just weld up your rear axle, it's very very very worth it.

HR
May 14, 2007
Recreational Paranoia is the Sport of Now

Jack_Handey posted:

Just weld up your rear axle, it's very very very worth it.

I hope this is a joke. That looks like a dd to me.

Unless three wheel cornering is your style.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

HR posted:

I hope this is a joke. That looks like a dd to me.

Unless three wheel cornering is your style.

I DD my Cherokee with a welded rear, it's fine if you know how to drive with it.

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007

Dividend Special posted:

subarus
hey legacy offroading buddy

my contribution

has a ghetto lock switch for the center diff, rear lsd (cant find a front one :( ) , and 215 widths on 15's to the 165 on 14's stock. throwing a new trans in next week (fried center and front diffs) and a lift/bigger struts in the next few months so i can get some real mud on it.

also- anyone have some outback or forester struts for cheap?

Captain Crabsticks fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 9, 2008

HR
May 14, 2007
Recreational Paranoia is the Sport of Now

Jack_Handey posted:

I DD my Cherokee with a welded rear, it's fine if you know how to drive with it.

So what's the worst problem that you've encountered with that kind of modification? Exploding rear diffs?

HR fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 10, 2008

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Jack_Handey posted:

What are the specs on your cherokee now? Yours was the one that pushed me to get a cherokee over something else.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

HR posted:

So what's the worst problem that you've encountered with that kind of modification? Exploding rear diffs?

My back tires chirp a bit in parking lots and it hops a little bit during slow, tight turns like backing out of a parking spot, but that might just be my worn out shocks. If you do it right it should be just as strong as a spool, just a lot cheaper. It's not like Dana 44 carriers are rare or anything, if I break it on the trail, that gives me a better reason to go up to 3/4 or 1 ton axles.

Atticus_1354 posted:

What are the specs on your cherokee now? Yours was the one that pushed me to get a cherokee over something else.

I used to have an 89 Cherokee 4.0 auto but now I'm driving a 91 5 speed 4.0, mods are a Rusty's 3" full leaf lift, Rubicon Express superflex control arms, homebuilt front bumper and swaybar disconnects, tow hook brackets and hooks, a non-disconnect D30 and welded Dana 44 from my Automatic XJ (which are geared lower than the 5 speed axles) and lovely 31" Pro-comp All Terrains.

I've got shackles and coil spacers to bump me up another inch, and I'm probably going to cut the fenders and take off the flares next week because I have some 33" Interco Trxus M/T's coming. I'm also about to buy some 2x2 square tube and make some rock sliders and a transmission cross member when I get the money, then my jeep's gonna be straight illin'.

Jack_Handey fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 10, 2008

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

I wish I had a 44 in the rear. I'm having to live with a 35 that is at least locked.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Toucan Sam posted:

Why not build your own, or have a local welder/fab shop build you a set? They would have been done in a couple days, cheaper, and built exactly the way you wanted them.
Because...
a. I didn't have a welder when I ordered them.
b. There are no decent local fab shops.
c. The vendor of this group buy made each slider seperately to our general outlines.
d. We got a great price from the vendor that was fairly cheap.

They finally came last week.

The driver side slider hangs low because I didn't have the tools I needed to put the furthest back rigger on. All of my loving tools are at work. :mad:
They've got a square tube slider portion and an obviously tubed rail that comes up to about half an inch of the point the door opens at the bottom.

I'm pissed at my tire size, I should have gone 36's. Whatever, with any luck I won't own it much longer. If I was able to have multiple cars it'd be an 80 series (or 105, but we can't get them so :v: ) and whatever else... but I can't so gently caress this thing.

Jack_Handey posted:

I have some 33" Interco Trxus M/T's coming

You'll be very happy with them. :)

Ferremit posted:

I didn't know the 100 series front diffs were THAT easy to asplode... but I suppose very few where I'm at actually beat them hard (and those that do I'VE MET who have blown them fully admit they were doing something they shouldn't have at the time) :lol: Oh well, there are bulletproof options available.

Mall cruiser, am i rite? (not me)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 10, 2008

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Those sure are some pretty sliders, too bad real sliders aren't pretty. I can see some serious damage coming from trusting those.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Toucan Sam posted:

Those sure are some pretty sliders, too bad real sliders aren't pretty. I can see some serious damage coming from trusting those.

How so? Because the rub rail is 'thin tube'?
I based them off these:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/chibo/DSCN0034.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/chibo/DSCN0036.jpg
They held up fairly well for what happened (flop in to a rock, bounced off the rock and put it back up straight, flopped back down). Mine are the same thickness tube on the rub rail.

I doubt I'll ever wheel this thing hard enough to bend the poo poo I've got; it's my only transportation so I can't really go out and run difficult trails every week or I'd end up walking to work. I can see them being an issue if beaten heavily, but I wouldn't own a Land Cruiser if I was doing that poo poo; too much money to blow with my financial status. :)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 10, 2008

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

BlackMK4 posted:

How so? Because the rub rail is 'thin tube'?

I doubt I'll ever wheel this thing hard enough to bend the poo poo I've got; it's my only transportation so I can't really go out and run difficult trails every week or I'd end up walking to work.

Exactly, pretty boy poo poo won't get you home. You're better off tearing your poo poo up without appearance stuff tearing even more stuff up.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Toucan Sam posted:

Exactly, pretty boy poo poo won't get you home. You're better off tearing your poo poo up without appearance stuff tearing even more stuff up.

So basically you're talking poo poo because you think my sliders are pussy poo poo? Ok. I'm sorry 2" .120 wall HREW isn't good enough for moderate offroading. You better go tell people running in WEROCK that their cages are appearance stuff.

quote:

cages
5.15.4: Round steel tubing (D.O.M Preferred) 1.5” O.D with 0.120” wall is compulsory for the
basic roll cage. Aluminum and/or soft metals are not permitted. Roll bar construction must be
welded. A W.E.Rock official must approve roll cages made of other material or in other wall
thickness/diameters

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 10, 2008

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

So basically you're talking poo poo because you think my sliders are pussy poo poo? Ok. I'm sorry 2" .120 wall HREW isn't good enough for moderate offroading. You better go tell people running in WEROCK that their cages are appearance stuff.

Obviously Forum Veteran = Off-Road God, don't you know that?

If 2x.120 isn't good enough, maybe I should be worried about the 1.5x.120 sliders we built for my brother's truck? They must qualify under Toucan Sam's "pretty boy poo poo" definition.

Oh wait, I forgot, it holds up just fine under normal usage.

A few years down the road they might get torn up enough to need replacing, but going any stouter on a wear item like rock sliders is probably just wasted weight.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I dropped the weight of the passenger side of the truck on to a rock today and they didn't even flex in to the body. The slider portion sits about half an inch from where the rocker seam ends. :hitler:

Too bad it was a hazy day out, it can look really nice up top. First time I'd been up in a year. I miss rocks and desert offroading, I hate Flagstaff. :smith:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 11, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titler
Feb 18, 2005
It's not a 4x4 but it is a loaner car, so we decided hit the Pine Barrens...

Here's some of what we drove over:

It was a non-quattro a4, so we didn't push it too hard. Had fun anyway, just need to wash the mud off before we give it back.