Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Tom Collins posted:

I've never been offroading and I don't know anything about it, so explain to me these questions:

- How does the engine not hydrolock if it's submerged? Is there some sort of re-routed air intake? What about the exhaust, does it just bubble out or would you need a smokestack like a big semi?

- What about the interior? Surely it's not that water-tight...
There are a few options, normally the intake gets rerouted. Coincidentally those snorkels you see on trucks were first used to get the intake tract out of the cloud of dust from trucks ahead. Slightly amusing: watch when the Toyota buggy drops the engine in to the water and he makes his way through by cranking over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFSp0CtEVqw

The interior gets hosed out after. :laugh:

I only have poser shots because I tend to not feel like stopping when I'm in anything difficult. This is 2" from the front bumpstops.

This is why you get sliders..... and mine are finally coming this week from a local club group buy that we started in SEPTEMBER.

Unfortunately there is 3ft+ of snow on anything open locally and my truck is incredibly difficult to recover when actually stuck. :lol:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 29, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Toucan Sam posted:

Why not build your own, or have a local welder/fab shop build you a set? They would have been done in a couple days, cheaper, and built exactly the way you wanted them.
Because...
a. I didn't have a welder when I ordered them.
b. There are no decent local fab shops.
c. The vendor of this group buy made each slider seperately to our general outlines.
d. We got a great price from the vendor that was fairly cheap.

They finally came last week.

The driver side slider hangs low because I didn't have the tools I needed to put the furthest back rigger on. All of my loving tools are at work. :mad:
They've got a square tube slider portion and an obviously tubed rail that comes up to about half an inch of the point the door opens at the bottom.

I'm pissed at my tire size, I should have gone 36's. Whatever, with any luck I won't own it much longer. If I was able to have multiple cars it'd be an 80 series (or 105, but we can't get them so :v: ) and whatever else... but I can't so gently caress this thing.

Jack_Handey posted:

I have some 33" Interco Trxus M/T's coming

You'll be very happy with them. :)

Ferremit posted:

Ive never heard the words "IFS" and "Strong" used in the same sentance before!

Over here, the toyota Landcruisers' with IFS are renowned for blowing up differentials on the front end if you do something as silly as reverse up a hill.

I didn't know the 100 series front diffs were THAT easy to asplode... but I suppose very few where I'm at actually beat them hard (and those that do I'VE MET who have blown them fully admit they were doing something they shouldn't have at the time) :lol: Oh well, there are bulletproof options available.

Mall cruiser, am i rite? (not me)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 10, 2008

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Toucan Sam posted:

Those sure are some pretty sliders, too bad real sliders aren't pretty. I can see some serious damage coming from trusting those.

How so? Because the rub rail is 'thin tube'?
I based them off these:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/chibo/DSCN0034.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/chibo/DSCN0036.jpg
They held up fairly well for what happened (flop in to a rock, bounced off the rock and put it back up straight, flopped back down). Mine are the same thickness tube on the rub rail.

I doubt I'll ever wheel this thing hard enough to bend the poo poo I've got; it's my only transportation so I can't really go out and run difficult trails every week or I'd end up walking to work. I can see them being an issue if beaten heavily, but I wouldn't own a Land Cruiser if I was doing that poo poo; too much money to blow with my financial status. :)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 10, 2008

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Toucan Sam posted:

Exactly, pretty boy poo poo won't get you home. You're better off tearing your poo poo up without appearance stuff tearing even more stuff up.

So basically you're talking poo poo because you think my sliders are pussy poo poo? Ok. I'm sorry 2" .120 wall HREW isn't good enough for moderate offroading. You better go tell people running in WEROCK that their cages are appearance stuff.

quote:

cages
5.15.4: Round steel tubing (D.O.M Preferred) 1.5” O.D with 0.120” wall is compulsory for the
basic roll cage. Aluminum and/or soft metals are not permitted. Roll bar construction must be
welded. A W.E.Rock official must approve roll cages made of other material or in other wall
thickness/diameters

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 10, 2008

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I dropped the weight of the passenger side of the truck on to a rock today and they didn't even flex in to the body. The slider portion sits about half an inch from where the rocker seam ends. :hitler:

Too bad it was a hazy day out, it can look really nice up top. First time I'd been up in a year. I miss rocks and desert offroading, I hate Flagstaff. :smith:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 11, 2008

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Advent Horizon posted:

That second vehicle that you're praising the bracing on isn't the Land Cruiser you were originally talking about.

Land Cruiser = SUV
Mini truck = Pickup ;)
Indeed, mine are also the same setup as far as mounting except mine use half inch plates sandwiching the frame rails in two spots per side plus a mount that uses a longer front control arm bolt and doubles as a guard for the control arm mount. I welded the sandwich plates to the frame for overkill because I got bored at work.
Mine are on the bottom.

I have cat guards as well, but it was too late for them, they're crushed and bent. I've got exhaust leaks from hell. Fuckit.

Toucan Sam posted:

I prefer flat heavy sliders under the rockers, thats all you actually need.
Pretty much, I just have too much money in my base vehicle to risk killing my doors as well.... and they've already paid for themselves in that respect since I slid in to a decent sized tree on an offcamber muddy hill today.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 13, 2008

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My manager called in to work today (I'm doing an apprenticeship at a bodyshop) so I went and ran Broken Arrow, Soldier's Pass, and Greasy Spoon with a friend.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Toucan Sam posted:

I just ordered this.

It's the Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch and if my Aussie locker ever comes back in stock for my rear 8.8 it's next on my list. I will have my new front bumper welded up and mounted the 22nd and i'm hoping to have my locker by then also.
I've heard very good things about it..... and it's cheap as gently caress. Let me know how it does. :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BigKOfJustice posted:

I've been in that situation, it ended in the front axle destroying the bumpstops and over traveling in to the cast aluminum oil pan. :lol:

Toucan Sam posted:

Same here man, i can watch off road roll over videos all night long on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/v/eqn0HFHiWb4&hl=en
...:v:

Over the past month having move back home after a long term relationship breakup I've managed to flop my truck and blow the headgasket. I was planning on selling it too. :v: Oh well.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 23, 2008

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Toucan Sam posted:

It didn't actually go that smooth though. I ended up with the right front and the left rear on the ground. There was an easy 3 feet of air under the other two tires. The slightest move inside the truck would make it teeter back and forth. I hate the teeter totter thing so i'm sweating balls and adding up the cost of repairs for when it flops.
Holy. poo poo. This is exactly what happened to me 3 weeks ago and I flopped it. :smith:

Basically I started up a rock with the right front and it started teetering so I was like ok.... let's back down and it's all good while I was making GBS threads bricks. I did the normal shift up to reverse from drive.... only I had shifted it to L before so I got drive. I drove it right over on to the driver side. Fun times. :smith:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 23, 2008

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Atticus_1354 posted:

I'm glad to see some one new getting out there and having fun. You will be suprised what your rubicon can do when you have some confidence in yourself and your car. Congrats on the smoking deal on the jeep.

Yes, that thing is insanely capable... just learn to drive it without needing the lockers, you'll thank yourself later.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My case is different, I'm low power in a full time truck. If I'm in the dirt I'm in 4lo so I have power.... I'm not a finesse driver offroad, not afraid to admit it. If it's slippery the center diff is locked.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are there any offroad sites along the lines of the AdvRider forums for motorcycles? I'm planning something completely retarded involving my FZJ80 and South America. I suspect my vehicle will not return to Arizona with me but it will be a life experience.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 20, 2008

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I ate Jesus posted:

So far I've put 285/75/16 retreads on it from TreadWright (formerly HiTech retreading), and have coil spring spacers to correct butt sag, and front locking Aisin hubs to allow me to get out of the woods with a busted CV. Rear Lockright is coming soon.
I ran those tires for 25k, I rather liekd them - especially the price - but be aware that they chunk hardcore when spun in the rocks.

Disciple of Pain posted:

I'd like to know this to. If it doesn't exist, it should.

expeditionportal is kind of like that, but they are smaller, less crazy, and have a lot less adventure than adventure riders.

Exactly. Maybe I should just sell my F4i for a KTM Adventure or something :smith:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 20, 2008

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Atticus_1354 posted:

Go to expedition portal and post your plan anyways. I bet someone there could help you out. There are several people who have gone all over the place and back.

I will, I know there are a lot of Az guys on that site.

I lost my voice so I couldn't do my job today.... ended up calling out and going offroading for a while at a place 10 mins from my house.

I only bothered to take a few pics.

Blah blah bee... The front is an inch to the bumpstop, the rear is 2 inches to the bumpstop.

My new friend...

And this is what we call a poor man's 3 link...

Take the front bolt out of one front lower control arm and we get an extra 2" of flex, it allows you to do stuff like rub/bend the poo poo out of the front fender wells with tires that are said to clear just fine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Atticus_1354 posted:

Looks like a fun area. Sometimes I wish I lived more out west so I could drive around in some nice dry rocky areas like that. I get bored with sloppy soggy poo poo after a while.

I guess, but I rather like taking multiple attempts and time to get through a trail rather than pointing and shooting because you've got a shitload of grip. :( I rarely get to do that unless I'm in rocks + sand or water and rocks. Coincidentally, I do a lot of wash offroading where you get the large boulders, big rocks, and sand going.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 22, 2008

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Haha holy gently caress. Ah, fun times working on the truck with ski goggles on so you don't throw poo poo across the shop in anger of dirt in the eyes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hah, I'd like to throw even more love at those HighTecRetread tires. I just (6am) rocked 95mph for 1.5hr heading home from a party with a flat tire because I thought the heavy pull to the right was probably an alignment problem since I'd just bombed through a wash at 50mph. It held up amazingly. :v:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 27, 2008

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

Part of me honestly wonders if, given the gas prices, now I can afford to pick up a Cherokee or something to use strictly as an offroad beater / poo poo hauler.
I went from a Land Cruiser as my DD to buying a Honda F4i because gas was ending up at close to $160 a week :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Wait, we have a new Rubicon and it has a locker switch for front / rear so I'd always assumed there were true lockers front and rear. Is this not the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

tuna posted:

Rubis have a "true" electronic locker in the front and rear.

So its a long weekend coming up and I'm thinking of going and exploring a bit of southern Arizona. I want to check out the Desert Bar and some of the grand canyon. It'll just be us in one Jeep so I don't want to venture too far into the deserted wastelands alone, however I'd love some suggestions of places to go, explore, places you can only get to with a big Jeep, etc.

Um, if you're going near the Grand Canyon then you have to stop in Sedona and run a few of the trails.