Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

A stick from some guys yard.. (which proved to be the only way out)

The view from the top..

This is a fun truck, but desperately needs the (rare) solid axle in the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

Rare? Toyota front axles are incredibly cheap to come by. I've had 2 given to me. I use a spare birfield as a door stop.

^^^^^
(edit - that diesel highlux is drat sweet.)

Ah, you misunderstand. I'm not implying the axles themselves are rare - by no means. I'm just saying that they are rare as standard equipment in '91. I've looked at a few on Craigslist, but it's alot of work to contemplate on a $900.00 truck with some rust issues.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

SFH1989 posted:

An SVT Focus is not the ideal off road vehicle.

My friend thought it would be a good idea to go down this road after it had been raining for a few days. By the time he got it out the undercarriage had been dragged on the ground for at least 200ft.

And there's video: Part 1 and Part 2.

Heh. You should mention to your friend that the focus rally car has AWD, 300 hp and far more aggressive tires.. But..Is this in Connecticut? It looks familiar...

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

thArf posted:

:words:

:words:

Where in Mass is this? I think I've wheeled at that spot before.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Ironically, I think this image was taken about the same time as the images above, albeit in Connecticut.

Crazy rear end, completely fresh logging road, Stafford, Connecticut.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

lathode posted:

Would anyone recommend a 93-95 4Ruuner over the 97-99 Cherokee? To be practical I need something reliable, I suppose I could consider a 2wd Tacoma, but really prefer a 4WD SUV.

edit: A little research and the 3.0s are crap so I would need a 96+ if I want a 6 cyl.

Avoid any 3VZE with more than 100,000 on it. Head gasket failures are a constant threat, combined with non stop ignition problems. Igniters, coils and distributors tend to fail strangely, randomly and completely without warning. Not only that, but the 3.0 literally gets the gas mileage of V8, while having only slightly more torque than the 4 cylinder. Engine aside, the 4 runner is an extremely durable, capable vehicle, however the cherokee has the advantage of a solid front axle. I'd take a 5 speed, 22re equipped, solid axle swapped 4runner over a Cherokee any day, but I'm Toyota biased.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Did some four wheeling today in Union, Connecticut. Trail hasn't been used in at least a year, I had to drag some huge branches out of the way..

Found this old fender skirt sitting on an ancient foundation..

This pine tree was too deep in the water to hook the strap to, so I drove over it. I had to adjust my side mirror after.

All images my hosting. Truck is my 1991 Toyota hilux / pickup, 3vze, 3" lift, 31" tires, otherwise stock save for MSD ignition, 22re rear end, Buick driveshaft front bumper, intake and side exit cherry bomb.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

kastein posted:

you're literally miles away from where I live, up by the Southbridge airport. Wanna go wheeling sometime? I haven't found many public trails around here but my club has access to some pretty good private land in the area.

I rock a 91 Jeep Comanche, 3-4" lift, 33" rubber.

e: Geared Hub, I was going to say I would only accept a tow from an H1 or earlier, no H2s/H3s allowed, but then I remembered the time a friend of mine pulled my jeep out of a snowbank with... his 97 honda wagon :eng99:

I had decided to blow through a snowbank in a half plowed parking lot but then pussied out halfway through and ended up stuck. On the other hand I think I pulled his honda out of icy parking spaces (wheels not stuck, just no traction) at least 30 times that winter. Usual morning routine was "1. wake up and shower, leave for work 2. detour to pull Jack out of a parking space so he can get to work 3. drive to work"

You're in Southbridge? No poo poo. I'm from Stafford, originally, but I just moved down to Naugatuck. I spend most of my time at My girl's house in Southbridge, right on Charlton street. Did you get any damage from the tornado?

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

TheMajesticGHawk posted:

Famous last words:
"Otherwise stock except for:"

Does the random misfire come stock too? :chord:

It's a 3VZE, so yes.

kastein posted:

drat, that's really close by. I'm a few blocks up on Pleasant St, my place is half a mile from the tornado path. I moved in the day it happened and didn't have home insurance yet, was making GBS threads bricks on my way home from work that day since it happened while I was driving down 20 and most of my friends were panicking and trying to find out if I was still alive.

I was just down in Stafford for the speedway swap meet, picked up some jerry cans and a 4.88 R&P for the ford 8.8 I'm building for another of my jeeps.

e: wait a sec, is her place the one over near mass ave / commercial drive with the jeep parked in the yard? I've seen that a couple times on my way out of town.

You mean that lifted red cherokee that I've seen around town a few times? Either way, no jeeps here.

My dad and I actually had a booth at the Stafford Fall swap meet this year, you may have seen us. Anyway, yeah, my girl's mom lives in Rosemeade, the tornado passed right over, ripped the place to shreds. We were a mile away, thinking nothing had happened. Come to find out, most of the area was just gone. We had to park and walk up the road toward your area, thinking the entire time most of her family was dead. Bad times for everyone.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

kastein posted:

I saw a beautiful old International Scout in Amherst MA yesterday on the way to the trails... bright yellow, looked very nicely restored.

:allears:

There's one in Southbridge being used as a plow vehicle, but it's more rust than metal.

I remember when they were still being abandoned in the woods as junk.

Hell, I found a beautiful set of first generation Bronco doors in the middle of the woods once.. That were probably ripped off a stolen truck and deposited there in the seventies, as that section of woods was just.. woods, no passable roads. (This was the late nineties)

My hometown was infamous for that. My dad once found a brand new Mach 1, stolen, ignition cylinder ripped out, vin tags destroyed. He drove it home and stripped it. I remember there being cut up cars half submerged in lakes, I even recall a sandpit entirely filled with burned out cars.

Last thing I saw while wheeling was a clearly stolen dodge ram, torched. It was gone the next time I was there, though.

ACEofsnett fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 16, 2012

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

3.5 is used in the Colorado/Canyon pickups. Its not bad, but not great either. Feels rather coarse for a recently designed engine. Part of the problem is the transmission is only 4 speeds when it really needs a 6 speed behind it. Better yet the 4.2 Atlas 6 from the Trailblazer would have been a better engine from the get-go.

Thanks for all the tire advice. I am thinking the Toyo's look pretty good.

The H3 is available with a six speed manual, is it not? That would be the way to go in my
opinion.

Edit : No, apparently it isn't. It's five speed or automatic only, shows how much I know. Odd, seeing as the Wrangler and FJ both have six speeds.

Also : This tagline from the GM website : "Fully welded steel frame." Wait, what? What truck in that class doesn't have a fully welded steel frame? That might be great if you're cross shopping it against what? A ridgeline?

Edit again: I was quoting verbatim.
|
v

ACEofsnett fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 18, 2012

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Bobby_Wokkerfella posted:

If you're willing to have an older vehicle, what about a 1st/2nd gen Toyota Surf/4runner? Solid vehicles, easy to drive onroad and capable off it. Not sure on how well the USDM models went with mileage, but shouldn't be ridiculous. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_4runner

As he specifically said he wanted to carry his motorcycle in the back, I think a 4wd Tacoma/Hilux would be the better choice. At least being in California, rust is less of an issue. He should be able to find a 84-94 "Pickup" easily enough. Just avoid any pre-tacoma V6 models. 22re supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Love the truck. 93? 94? I have a '91 that, as I've gotten more serious about wheeling, has reached the end of its useful life with IFS.

I see you went with coils for your SAS. You start from scratch or with a kit? I'd love to see some buildup pics and details on the build at some point. What year axle is that? I was planning on leaves, but having recently traded my other, 2wd Toyota for a stock Cherokee, as well as wheeling a friend's modified Comanche, I am beginning to see the advantage of front coils.

Edit : I just assumed it had coils under it, the way it was flexing. I admit to not watching the entire video and only glancing at the photo.

|
v

ACEofsnett fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 30, 2012