Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Repeat after me: "I will not try to cross two foot deep slurry on road tyres"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Hypnolobster posted:

What happened to it?
I'd imagine it broke free from captivity, and can still occasionally be spotted in the wild, preying on teenagers in rental Jeeps for food like a cross between Sasquatch and Killdozer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Wow - I wish you could get winches that cheaply over here! I really fancy one just for emergencies for the front of my landrover.
I bought a 2nd hand tirfor hand winch, but i think it would kill me to move 3 tons of truck with it!
The Champion winches that you can get come in pretty cheap - you can get an 8000lb for £250inc vat, and the 6000lb for £150+vat.

The reviews I've read seem to rate them, and I'd certainly be tempted for that kind of money. I'll probably buy a Tirfor-style hand winch first, though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Glad to see some cars showing up in the thread. It doesn't matter what you drive. All that matters is that you have fun.

Sadly I had to cancel my last off road trip because an acquaintance of mine died car surfing so my friends parents freaked out about cars and wouldn't let the younger guys that had asked me to take them come along. So we had to cancel the trip.
Bugger me, that's a bit poo poo.

I was considering going to a pay & play day on Sunday, but I'll probably go to the one that's on in a fortnight instead (closer to payday, in case I bust something, basically). So, no pictures of the Frontera off-road quite yet.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Anyone got some bright ideas on the best way to make sure I got as much mud as possible out of my Frontera's clutch/bellhousing without dismantling? I'm probably going to go with mild detergent and plenty of rinsing out with water.

I already gave it a blast with some brake cleaner and a hosing out, but there's still a little bit of stickiness to it - I'm getting a graunch coming out of neutral, so it looks like the clutch is still driving the input shaft a little when disengaged.

I've done this before on one of the Pandas, so I'm not overly worried about terminal damage, but I figured someone might have suggestions to get it back to normal.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Atticus_1354 posted:

There is a '69 Land Rover series III with English plates and a 2.5 diesel for sale in Austin. He only wants $8500 for it, but I have no money. Anyone want to let a jeep fan borrow some money so he can become a Land Rover convert?
If it's a '69, it'll be a IIA. You can tell by the door hinges - IIAs have two arms standing proud of the body, whereas IIIs have a Defender-style square one.

SIIIs got a plastic rad grille rather than metal, but it could have been swapped.

VVVV: Durrr, should have thought of that!

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 25, 2008

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigKOfJustice posted:

Recovery is important, and its good practice to help others out and to understand grade and how it relates to load and traction and the physics behind it.
Most of what I see people do with rigging and recovery makes me cringe. I'm by no means experienced or an expert, but God drat some people have no concept of the potential dangers.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Braincloud posted:

So, after we got the Jeep out, we found his clutch wouldn't disengage. We figured he got a bunch of slurry in the bellhousing and that was causing issues. Even in gear, the poor Rubi wouldn't move. Even worse, he had just bought it and it's got about 540 mile on the odometer in that pic.
I did this to the Frontera (My clutch ended up jammed disengaged, but same issue). With enough rinsing out the bellhousing with a hose, it got about 99% back to normal.

And at this point, you remember that old Land Rovers came with screw-in plugs for the timing cover and bellhousing. Which you never remember to fit, but it's the thought that counts, eh?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Kill-9 posted:

Now on to finding that drat leak in the clutch system. Been a plague for a year. Clutch fluid just evaporates into nothing. No puddles under the truck, nothing. Every 3-4 weeks I have to re-bleed the system because it's gone empty again.
It's not going down the inside of the bulkhead, is it?

Also, I can't remember which ones it is, but isn't there an issue with the actuator punching through the clutch fork on LR trannies, and you can get a reinforced one to replace it?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigKOfJustice posted:

Its similar to whats offered on other 4x4's, anything that got a ABS system got the traction control as a free bonus, it works the same on Hummers, and Land/Range Rovers, etc.
:words:
I'd liken having an advanced traction control system instead of difflocks for off-road use as being somewhat akin to having a nice, light T-shirt that turns bulletproof as soon as it detects that a round's been fired. Fantastic stuff as a general safety net, but if you know you're going to be in a situation where it's required...

Although Land Rover's Hill Descent Control remains one of those "A-ha!" applications of it, for me. So bloody obvious when you see it done, but apparently no-one else thought of it up until then.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tigertron posted:

Would it be wise of me to look into a Land Rover Defender as a first 4x4 vehicle. I am young with expendable cash to spend on repairs and roughly $5k to spend on a vehicle.
Seeing as you're on the wrong side of the Atlantic, you'll pay a premium for LR bits over getting a Jeep or a Toyota. Neither of which will break as often.

Also, Defenders are expensive in the USA. A Discovery or Range Rover you don't mind a few dents on will go everywhere they will for less cash and slightly more comfort.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigKOfJustice posted:

Usually what starts this is some form of traffic fatality related to a big lifted car/truck. Some politicians jump on board and introduce a law, say, requiring bumpers to be at a certain height, and leave it at that. They win political points and the next thing you know, you have a few jeep/pickup owners who are unable to get their vehicle to past safety.
This was a pretty big story in the UK:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...r-children.html

quote:

You need to keep an eye on this, you got a few of the "thrill craft" crowd pushing to eliminate recreational 4 wheel driving, an easy way is to sneak legislation through the government.
I have a huge bucket of "gently caress you and the horse you rode in on" about people with this attitude in the UK, particularly after this kind of pressure did a fair old number on killing a big chunk of access rights to green lanes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

trouser chili posted:

You know, that Land Rover doesn't look that bad. Of course I've seen some pretty scary steering setups under otherwise decent looking trucks, but I wonder how much of this is simply demonizing this guy for otherwise being a piece of poo poo. I'd bet anything my calipers aren't exactly the same size from side to side either, there's going to be some variance. He'd have to have a completely different steering knuckle on each side to have different sized calipers of any significance, and how are you going to tie those together (might explain the sudden steering irregularity)? Did they even have different steering knuckles for that vehicle that would bolt to the same axle?
Basically (And the reason I posted the link), Land Rovers combine God's own parts bin with Lego-kit construction - you can happily swap parts across five decades, and even though the parts themselves might not be the same, the mounting points could well be, because each iteration of a utility LR is most definitely a partial (i.e. cheapass) evolution of the previous model.

You can happily grab things like callipers off any number of different front axles, and they'll probably bolt right on - if you don't actually check, they could well be different sizes. Hell, on occasion there have been stories about people buying parts with the right number on the box, but which turn out not to be quite right.

Was that Landie modified in a dodgy manner, with more than a few "wrong" parts? Hell yes - but I've seen dozens more the same. And the fault that directly caused the crash (sheared trailing arm mount) could happen to any number of standard "well maintained" Land Rovers as well if the corrosion was missed by the MOT inspection - and, as anyone who's worked on a crusty vehicle will confirm, you can get some truly horrific cases that aren't readily apparent until you really start digging into them.

The point is, the less-than-perfect modifications and maintenance gave the prosecution a drat big stick to beat him with, and they made full use of it. It's an incident that highlights what happens if the poo poo hits the fan in a situation like this.

I'm trying to think of what I want to say here, but I can't quite word it right. I feel that the guy was in the wrong, but at the same time there's a chunk of "There but for the grace of God..." on behalf of everyone who modifies or services their own vehicles. Know what I mean?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

reddeathdrinker posted:

There's a huge business in refurbishing 25+ year old 110's for export to the USA here in the UK. Basically they're rebuilding a Series 3 onto a coil-sprung chassis, with all the shiny Defender bits added. End result, one 25 year old, as-new Defender...
Not even necessary to do that now, the coilers are over the 25 year hurdle for USA importation.

If the US laws on rebuilds are "original manufacturer's components, or those designed for direct replacement of same" or similar in order to be called the same vehicle, then re-plating a brand new Defender is really splitting hairs on whether or not you're cloning or rebuilding...

I don't see how it can cost much more than the retail price of a new Landie plus the shipping as long as you do the spannering yourself - just swap all the parts over. For comedy value, rebuild the bits you remove into an unregistered Landie Of Theseus for private land use...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ExtremeODD posted:

Would it be harmful with the xfer case in 2wd and the front hubs locked? I dont want to have to get out of the vehicle every time to switch into 4x4 when it starts snowing.
Short answer, no, it's fine.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

TheFrailNinja posted:

I have a 1996 GMC Sonoma with play in the wheel. It's a 4x4 with the 4.3, 141k miles. Anybody know what I should look at first? front control arms? Some sort of bushings? I'm sure it's just some worn metal bits up around the front wheels, but I don't know where to start looking.
Start with the steering joints at the hubs, then work backwards through the other joints, steering box, steering column etc, and start looking at the suspension after you've cleared that stuff of guilt.

Basically, this stuff:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
From the land of sheep and... well, more sheep, Paddock Hacks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm6JkzRipjY

A YouTube Poster posted:

top gear on steroids ... and welfare

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

gimpsuitjones posted:

Any suggestions? I'd really like to do an engine swap for something like a toyota 2.4l diesel but I think that's beyond my mechanical abilities and the facilities I have available to me at the moment.
You could use a Suzuki SJ gearbox, and one of the off-the-shelf conversion kits to put a VW diesel in it, but it's a faff and not as cheap as it could be.

To be honest, using a divorced transfer case, you can fit drat near any RWD engine and gearbox that'll physically fit, with a custom prop to mate it up.

What you really want, though, is the drivetrain out of a Fourtrak 2.8 TDi - about as close to a factory conversion as you're likely to manage, and a couple of generations of grumpy British farmers can't be wrong.

Unfortunately, I think you're in the wrong country for easy/cheap small diesel swaps.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Didn't some states pass a law that tyres MUST be snow-rated, effectively outlawing perfectly good tyres without the correct sidewall markings? I think I saw a post on another forum from someone bitching that he'd had to replace an almost new set of tyres.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14784515

Now, while I don't condone illegal trail running, I love how they're making out it's incredibly dangerous to have driven something up there, and they can't work out how he did it. "How are we going to get it back down?!". Well. you could break in, hotwire it, then drive it back down, how about that?

Given it looks like a pretty standard truck, not lifted, chintzy cosmetic sidesteps, and what look to be road tyres, I'm going to come out and say that either the route isn't as difficult or dangerous as they're saying. I had one of those, and while they're competent, they're not exactly a challenge truck.

Begin countdown to the Rambler's Association making some idiotic statement about all 4x4 owners, while conveniently forgetting the whole "mass trespass on Kinder Scout" thing...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
***UPDATE***
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-14791178

The Beeb posted:

he did it because it was top of his "50 things to do before he dies" list.

I can't help but upgrade him from "random trespassing pikey" to "glorious bastard" for that one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I thought the H2 was actually reasonable off-road, provided you're comparing it to other blinged-up large SUVs. I honestly wouldn't expect one to compete with a Cherokee or Range Rover, but in its size class/target market, is it still so bad?

reddeathdrinker posted:

No, this is some pretty mild British off-roading in my road-legal Discovery...

It's laid up at the moment getting a new rear diff and suspension bushes, hope to get it back on the road by the end of the month...

Back axle has been cleaned up and painted...

I've got a pair of Rangie axles you can have if you don't mind a drive to Leicester. Or are you holding out for an ARB or something?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
People seem to get crazy mileage out of BFG AT tyres. I've heard of fifty, sixty thousand miles on a set, sometimes more.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh, look who's back:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-15108712

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The exact same truck as from a couple of pages back.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Skyssx posted:

In the military trucks, they get about 8 MPG.
A squaddie could make a Prius get 8mpg.

I am interested in why your Landie-owning friend went with the 6.2 rather than a Rover turbodiesel or so on. Concerns with availability of parts, or legislative stuff about emissions etc?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mod sassinator posted:

Who knows if it makes a good offroader, but drat if you wouldn't feel like a badass driving this around.

Meh, buy its brother, the Stalwart. Less armour, but massive carrying capacity:

And it has another party trick

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I doubt it matters in this case, but double-check you're ok to do that. Over here, you're not really allowed to fit tyres that don't meet the speed/load rating for the vehicle. Fails MOT inspection if you're under-specced.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The problem is that they seem (in the UK at least) to be REALLY expensive.

Side note: After the Falklands, a number (about 20?) of the Argentinian G-Wagens were captured of by the British forces, but the Argies hadn't actually finished paying for them yet (they asked for them back, and were told to gently caress off). The British army didn't pay Mercedes for them either, so in return were denied any spare parts, and the end result was that their numbers dwindled as parts were cannibalised off each other for running repairs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geared Hub posted:

I don't what's with automakers these days, but hell, the Range Rover/Land Rover ads from 10+ years ago with guys beating up the undercarriage with sledge hammers or winching up the hoover drat were great.
People are buying 4x4s from the "I want to keep my children safe while enjoying whatever lifestyle you wish to sell me this week" perspective, not based on off-road ability.

Also, the Landie dam advert was in Wales. Not faked, either.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geared Hub posted:

It's safer to do it that way, if you are hitting the gas and using the winch at such a slope you would hop and shift around a bit and possibly slip off the side.

Nothing is diminished by using a winch, I've seen hard core buggies get stuck on Pritchett Canyon where they had no choice but to use a winch to get out.
Yeah, nothing could drive that slope, it really is as steep as it looks.

What I meant by it not being faked was that yes, it's a real car on a real dam, and the winch fitted to it is pulling it up while a guy inside keeps it steered straight. Obviously it's set up and doesn't match properly if you watch carefully - the 90 drives off a different section at the end than the one it came up on.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you want to learn how to work on cars, go Landie. If you want good aftermarket support and sensible prices, Jeep. Toyota tends to mean higher prices, but good reliability (save for some engines being less than brilliant). I don't really have an opinion on Explorers.

In your position, I'd probably buy an XJ with a 4.0.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Oxford Comma posted:

Do Grand Cherokees come with a Dana 44 rear, whereas XJs don't?
Ok, the XJ is most likely to come with a Dana 35, which is what both the ZJ and WJ Grands came with in 4.0 guise - the V8 ones got a Dana 44a (AKA the 44HD), which is pretty similar to a "regular" 44, only the centre casting is aluminium.

There is a good choice of relatively cheap axles out there that can be swapped, so I wouldn't regard any particular back axle as gimping a car to the point you shouldn't buy it, more as a factor whereby some configurations might need more work if you start heading down the road of modifications or heavy-duty use.

The AX15 transmission behind the XJ 4.0, however, has a far better reputation than the 42RE the six-pot Grands got. A good part of my decision in buying a V8 WJ was that it meant I got the 545RE (or is it 545RFE? I never quite remember the nomenclature) instead. It also means I get the 44a, but I'm less concerned about that.

That Cherokee Sport you linked to looks like it has a very nice specification. You've got the 4.0, the manual 'box, and the 8.25" axle (which I believe is perfectly reasonable). For what you've said its job is intended to be, yes, it could be the preferable option.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Courtesy of Jalopnik:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFrHHJv5h18

Holy Jesusfuck. :psypop:

It's the fact that it's towing a sodding trailer. It's like the old "Should I take my feet out the stirrups?" joke about the guy stuck in the swamp.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's Russia, found it on Jakopnik earlier today:
http://jalopnik.com/5876001/watch-a-massive-russian-truck-save-itself-from-almost-certain-disaster

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You had me at "Steyr". They know their poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mod sassinator posted:

Wow how do they get the pistons inside? I guess up through the bottom of the block?
That's pretty much how it worked on the old Bentleys.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just got a used 11,000lb Pull-Pal with carrying case for £55 delivered. Awesome.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Our Gay Apparel posted:

I'm thinking about buying a Series II (probably 2003) Discovery as an off-road/winter beater. They're pretty cheap. I know all about Land Rover reliability, but the 2003 looks like it had most of the problems fixed. Is this a retarded idea?
We've got a Rover thread now, actually:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3478992
Note the thread title.

Bear in mind that there's a good chance a 2003 won't have a difflock in the transfer case, whereas earlier ones just ditched the linkage and left the internals in place. I believe they were reinstated when they changed the headlight design for the 2004 model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Tracker/Vitara/Geo has a coil live axle out back, and torsion IFS up front. It's pretty good, though some people find the front diffs to be weak when subjected to larger tyres and/or rough use.

The SJs are proper trucks, just half-scale. If you want something that you can treat like a forties Jeep and not have to worry about much (other than body corrosion), they're just what you need, but they are not exactly refined on the road. Hard to find decent ones at a sensible price though.

A more left-field choice is the SWB Isuzu Amigo. I owned the UK equivalent, a Vauxhall Frontera Sport, and while the build quality wasn't so hot (that'll be the Vauxhall half), it was still a respectable truck off-road. Again, torsion IFS, and either leaf or coil rear depending on age.

If this is for an off-road toy, and you can find an ok SJ, you won't regret it.