Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

grnberet2b posted:

Big Bend

How rough is Big Bend? Like, would I be able to get out to some of the backcountry camping sites with about 10" of ground clearance and no low range gearbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I sold my YJ Wrangler a while ago, and I'm not looking to get back into the game any time soon, but I like to browse. What are the hidden gems of 4x4 -- the dirt cheap trucks that no one thinks of and don't have the Jeep cult build up around them?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

jonathan posted:

404 platform Unimogs. Can be had for under $6000, backyard mechanic friendly.

Are M35s any good, or are they usually poo poo?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

Until you mentioned fuel economy I was going to suggest a Quigley 4x4 fullsize conversion van. Hell I might anyways, they're just plain badass.

http://www.quigley4x4.com/Gallery/FordProducts/FordProductPhotos.aspx some pictures of their Ford offerings - they also do Chevy/GMC, some including Duramax Diesel engines, unfortunately I don't believe they do any Dodge products.

Hit the "Scenarios" button then "Rocks".

Are these really like $12,000 each? Like, I could show up with $12,000 and leave with a 4x4 van?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

No, the most appropriate thread would be the R/C car thread.

I thought it was pretty cool, and if you don't like pictures of R/C 4x4s doing 4x4 things, then you're dead inside.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Big K of Justice posted:

The rigids are pretty nice, I got a set of the D2 Duals [the ones with 6 elements packed in instead of 4] with the amber lens pop on covers to act as "fog lights" (ie I don't have to cover them for on street use, However, I don't intend to use them on road). I mounted them on the brushguard setup with the flood version. Great for the beach and desert. I was planning to get more before I needed a new engine.

The rigids are more expensive than some of the korean brands, but the cheaper ones have paint/powercoat that can flake off, plus Rigid has got great support, my buddy had a DOA unit he picked up and they overnighted a new one via fedex and told him to keep the 2d unit so he wound up with 3 D2's [he put the extra on his quad]

Is there a comparison of the various Rigid lights somewhere? I'm playing with the idea of bolting an SRQ2 driving light to my motorcycle at some point.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Got a link, or a seller name? I've got a floodlight from Myers on my roof rack, and it works great. I'd love to add some backup lights and some low spots for snow.

I bought with a 10" driving bar from Black Box Logistics, and I was seriously impressed by the amount of light output and the quality of the light and wiring harness.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ThePinion posted:

Here is some poor bastard from earlier that day far stuck-er. I helped him dig some, but I didn't want to get close enough to try and pull him out because I knew I'd just join him instead.

Yikes. What'd he do, get buried down to the axles and then keep going?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Does the second or third Rav4 have the same off road chops as a Landcruiser, or is it more like a car?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

God drat, orange truck can eat a tremendous bag of dicks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Is the Warden AT still M+S rated?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The hardest part about getting your HAM license is waiting for the FCC to get back to you. Play around with http://www.eham.net/exams/ for a week studying for a Technician class license, find a licensing exam near you, and get your license. It's easy.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mall crawling? I'll have you know this is a gravel parking lot, and every one of those tire tracks was mine.

The snow looked a lot deeper when I was driving through it. 4Hi definitely helped.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Had a cone do that to me once during an autocross.

Can't remember if they counted it as a penalty or not.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Anything's possible if you're willing to dump about $500k into a Haas mill.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You'll probably want to host that image from somewhere that isn't Craigslist.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

BCBUDDHA posted:

are you sure??

I've been on several 4x4 forums over the past few weeks, and hosting images in terrible places like photobucket or god-knows-where seems to be part of the 4x4 culture.

Craigslist is going to delete the image sooner or later. Throw it in Imgur if you want your post to make sense in a week.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Fucknag posted:

Or (since timg still loads the full image size) just add a lowercase "L" before the .jpg to downsize it to a reasonable size.

Agreed. Save the world some bandwidth. Your best bet is to use

code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/cfpJITAl.jpg[/img] 
Once I shrink the image down, I like the spraywork! I'm excited to see where you go with this!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh neat, this thread is now the "post terrible formatted / hosted pictures thread".

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I took my extremely mild TJ down some extremely mild trails today.

I still managed to bash it into a tree.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Congrats on the dent, some people pay a lot of money for lesser Trail Rated badges. How do you like the little mini-LED bar - have you used it much at night? Most of the LED bars I see fit firmly into brotruck status, but I've thought about installing some smaller units as backup lights because I had to reverse down a road once after dark and it sucked.

Ha. I like the mini-LED bar okay. I wish it had a narrower beam, but it puts out a decent amount of light for the money. I haven't had a lot of chances to drive around in the boonies at night in this truck, but the light worked really well when it was on the front of my motorcycle. I've been considering adding LED reverse lights too, not sure where I'd mount them.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Krakkles posted:

- shift out of 4wd (I don't like doing this, it's a lot of work to go from 4LO to 2HI, requiring a nearly full stop).

I wish I could find a 2LO kit for the TJ for this reason.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Krakkles posted:

NP231?

Pretty sure Teraflex makes one for the 231, but I'm not sure about other TCs.

Oh, huh.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52254_200_07.htm

I'm pretty sure I tried to find it on Teraflex's website before and couldn't. Don't know why I didn't just google it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

For an XJ you can lock it up pretty cheaply as noted. I've got a pretty good/cheap setup right now, auto locker in the front ($200 or so) and a stock LSD in the rear (I have a 29 spline chrysler 8.25 so I pillaged one from a late 8.25 equipped Dakota/Durango and bolted it right in, then readjusted my carrier backlash/preload back into spec and moved on with my life. Total cost $50 or so at the junkyard.)

What front locker are you running?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Would a responsible company stop at some point and say "No, it would be cheaper if you just bought a new one."?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Big K of Justice posted:

On the other hand, at Pismo Beach I stay away from extractions. Guys who get stuck with vehicles that have no business being off road, and the last thing you want to do is rip a bumper off some guys bmw when the tide is rolling in. There's a reason there's a specialized tow company with a monster truck that runs that beach that charges $400 per extraction.

On my honeymoon, my wife and I wound up on Pismo Beach by accident at like 10 PM on Christmas Eve in a rented Mustang. I'm lucky I figured out what was going on before I drove on anything too soft.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 2, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Kevin Kelly seems to like it, which is a pretty good endorsement in my book. http://kk.org/cooltools/clamptite/

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I went with a handheld Cobra CB and while I won't say I regret it (it was dirt cheap on Amazon Warehouse Deals), it is definitely worth the time and money to do something like what Krakkles posted with an external antenna. In a 30-Jeep run through a slot canyon, I was in the middle and couldn't reliably hear people at the front or the back.

I should probably just get another ham license. I had a Technician license as a kid but pretty much dropped it cold once I got my grubby paws on the internet. It expired something like 15 years ago.

:smith::respek::smith:

'Sup, lost-interest-in-Radio-Greybeard buddy?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm planning to drive my TJ from Chicago to Denver for a conference in July, and I thought I might take a few days to do some camping and offroading while I'm in Colorado / The West. Any suggestions on where to go? Anyone want to join me on a weekday for some offroading?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

31" Duratracs, and that's it. I was thinking I'd hit the Alpine Loop on the way there, do my conference thing, and then *maybe* something else offroady before I head home.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I took a trip up Sheep Mountain Table in Badlands National Park this morning. It went like this.

Start by waking up at dawn after a rough night's sleep punctuated by coyote howls and light rain (also every moron and their brother shining lights at your tent traipsing around the overcrowded campground).

Leave the park, then drive 25 miles down heavily washboarded gravel roads. Re-enter the park (I wound up entering the park in five different places, because that's just how the roads went)

For maximum effect, drop at least some of the convertible top. Taste the dust. Feel the dust. Be the dust.

Hang a right when you get to the sign promising "MINIMALLY MAINTAINED ROAD" (I wish I'd taken a picture of that sign)

Follow this path, despite the fact that your Jeep is sober.

It's kinda tight

DEMON CAMBER

If you're me, turn around most of the way down the trail when you realize you should probably have a buddy out here with you.

The view from the turnaround was pretty nice.

No time to pose! You've got another seven hours of driving down to Colorado today!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The eastern half of SD is a really long string of farmland. Sioux Falls is a couple restaurants, factories, and an Ag school nestled among the farms. It's kinda lovely, but not as "beautiful desolation" as eastern Wyoming.

Fun story, coming out of Sioux Falls, I saw a billboard for KBAD 94.5FM, "The Guns, Gold, and Rock & Roll Radio Network". I could only pick it up for about 20 minutes, but in that 20 minutes I heard "Holy Diver" by Dio and then "Basketcase" by Greenday. It was a weird mix.

You say the wheeling spots near Denver are on fire? I'd picked out Argentine Pass as a possible quick destination before I hit the road on Thursday; do you think that'd be doable?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I just got an email discussion forwarded to me from the Prof, the University of Calgary Motor Pool has decided to "liquidate" Cheryl the work truck. Estimated cost of repair exceeds estimated value of the vehicle.

Hey, buy yourself an F-150!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Drove Jeeps through mud with some folks over the weekend.

The mud ruts were too deep for my (mostly) stock TJ, so we left it on solid ground and I hopped in the silver JKU. The black JK's tires were not aggressive enough for the mud, so we had to snatch her out once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsnqNQxRsHo

She also had trouble with a hill, but made it up after gaining some momentum.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

jonathan posted:

Just an awesome video that makes me wanna drive a million miles an hour over rough roads.

Just don't fold your F-150 Raptor in half because you forgot it isn't a trophy truck.

Or do; I'm not the boss of you.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean the last thing I should do is a road trip in the TJ, but, drat. Tempting.

I drove from Chicago to South Dakota to Denver back to Chicago in my TJ. It suuuuucks. Do it!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Just gotta scrape all of the Zombie Patrol Task Force stickers off of them.

Maybe the bedliner paint job will preserve the factory paint really well

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Have any of you all ever driven the F26 or F35 in Iceland? From what I've read, the F35 is supposed to be the milder of the two. If I rented a Toyota-pickup-based 4x4 camper, would the F26 be very difficult, or would the F35 seem like a dawdle?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

It will be a while yet before we get one, but my wife and I are lusting after the new generation of Suzuki Jimny. The local Mazda dealership took over the Suzuki contract from the Holden dealership around the corner about a year ago. On my way home from some errands this morning I spotted the blue one and wandered over to just admire. I love the 80's-style stripes on the beige one. We're planning on buying one in the yellow-green (seen in poster in background) as soon as we can, which requires either we have enough cash to just buy one outright (about $34K AUD) or our permanent visa finally gets approved (processing time: 11 to 14 months, we applied in August) allowing us to arrange financing. Loans are not a thing on a bridging visa.

A pair of Jimnys by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Anyway, just thought I'd share the loveliness with you folks. Australia is overrun with white cars (for reasons I understand but I still find it horribly boring), I'm really happy to see Suzuki - and Mazda, for that matter - keeps colouring their products well.

I saw two identical Jimnys parked next to each other in Iceland, and spent the rest of the day trying to convince my wife that we needed his-and-hers matching Jimnys. (the fact that they're not sold in the US notwithstanding)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Dumb question, but why do diffs need to breathe? Does the air in there just need somewhere to expand when it gets hot?