Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Havent been out in ages- But ive got a Toyota Diesel Hilux Dual Cab, 2.8D (about to be turfed for a 3.0L TurboDiesel :D) with 2" lift, Few goodies and some 31" Mickey Thompson MTZ's

Thats one from back when it had the 30" Maxxis Buckshots on it

Take one nissan Patrol, Add Boghole

'

Take one Toyota Landcruiser, Add 3 Tonnes of Weight, Apply to sinky mud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Hummer Driving human being posted:

How deep have you gone with that snorkel?

Ive had the hilux with its snorkie with water halfway up the windshield before - water was probably 1-1.2m deep?

Go diesel! go Snorkie! :D

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Its a pity you guys didnt get the LN106 series of hilux over in the US- NA diesel, Live, leaf sprung axles and a nice interior to boot!

Ive thought about upgrading mine to a later model, but i just love my live axle front end too much- after 1997, toyota stopped making live axle hilux's.

Im about to drop about AU$10K on a full engine conversion though. $5.5K for this
https://wi.somethingawful.com/a9/a9f358e448f7385bbf021870b153a6c60221bbae.jpg
Which is a 3.0L Turbo Diesel, Manual surf with 89,000kms on the clock.

it produces 89kw/289Nm (130hp/257Ft/Lb) and thats stock! Its a hell of a lot better than the old 2.8L engines 60kw/196Nm (80Hp/144Ft/Lb)!

If i intercool it, Add a 3" Mandrel bent exhaust and a little chip into the ECU, it should be very feasable to get 100kw at the rear wheels :D

My other toy is a 2000 prado 3.0L turbodiesel. That runs 265/75R16 BFG AT's, 2" of lift, and a bit of other touring goodness!
https://wi.somethingawful.com/97/97b9b9fb654c65dd9a656c9b1a2f47f8d62dbf2f.jpg

Thats what the thing looked like after a 5000km, 10 day trip into australias Red Centre (simpson, Sturt stony and Fink Deserts)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 26, 2008

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Toucan Sam posted:

gently caress it, i'm just going to install my current suspension lift and gears. My IFS axle is plenty strong for the places i go considering they shut down Wellsville. I can fit my 35s and have some fun.

Ive never heard the words "IFS" and "Strong" used in the same sentance before!

Over here, the toyota Landcruisers' with IFS are renowned for blowing up differentials on the front end if you do something as silly as reverse up a hill.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Tirfors suck arse in terms of energy expenditure, but you cant winch your truck sideways off the sliders when its about to fall off the edge of a track with a leccy winch easily!

its also really hard to winch bacwkards with a front mounted winch- they have their place though!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

Usually you try to go for at least 50% over the weight of the vehicle, preferably double. So a SWB vehicle weighing at or around 4000 pounds when it hits the trails usually gets an 8000 pound winch.

Obviously that doesn't work so well with heavier trucks when the winches get really loving expensive. I'd try to get at least a 12k if you can, preferably 15k.

You can get by with lighter rated winches and lots of pulleys, but it's slow as hell and you have to stop a lot to let the winch cool down.

I discovered the hard way it takes 30,000LB of winch pull to get a LC79 ute thats burried down to the tray in a swamp back onto dry ground.

Not to mention several hours of digging and seven attempts with a snatch strap to get it out

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

shootme posted:

1993 Toyota pickup 22re/5spd.

Nice lux!

Ive got the 1992 LN106 with the diesel 2.8D motor and 5 speed- but ive got a solid axle under the front.

My current project is transplanting a 1KZ-TE into it to replace the 3L diesel- Nice 3.0TD should fix its acceleration issues.

Anyway- Latest offroad photo

Pretty tame- Crossing the Tea Tree Crossing down the Coorong in South Australia.

Except the hypersaline water killed my alternator :(

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

3 days, A$296.33!

I am sooo thankfull that i have a company credit card! This drill rig would SUCK if i had to pay for its fuel bill!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Damage report from the weekend! :D

Went playing down at Beachport in South Eastern South Australia again- All beaches and dune fields!

Did i mention i love my Dual Lockers? :D

Anyway... damage is:

Right hand rear mudflap torn off
Rear diff making horrid noises
Charging issue rears its head
Viscous fan doesnt seem to be cutting in properly (may be related to charging issues- belts?)
Compressor crapped the bed and stopped working- might be a charge issue too?
Front diff molested sump again, despite extra 1" of spring lift :(

i had fun though! and the weather was fantastic- 33-34 degrees C, light cloud, warm nights... I love Australia in the summer!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

*cough*

Lux is still going! So far im on my 2nd rear diff, 2nd gearbox and STILL have an oil transfer problem between gearbox to transfer case :(

went out to Morgan again doing some more rock crawling, managed to drag most of my truck underside down a rock step, then caught the rear step- Rear step exploded edge of the rock ledge, but its still moved the step and now the exhaust touches and rattles at idle :( I'll fix it down the track.

Mods? Apart from some rock induced mods, the latest one is that by late next week, a set of 285/75R16 MTZ's will be living under the truck (33x11.5x16 in the old money) And a 2" body lift will have to be fitted ASAP to stop the tyres molesting the bodywork!

Also ordering a new alternator- going from an 80 amp to 120 amp to cope with the electrical loads a bit better. I'll fix the redarc while im at it.

All before the easter long weekend when i go to Beachport again, and I have a week away at uni in that time frame!

Hows the rebuild going BigKOfJustice?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

they ARENT- thats the problem! Theres an extension housing between the two thats meant to be air space, with oil held in by seals into the transfer and the gearbox!

I dont want to have to drop the transfer off the box again until im pulling the rear of the truck apart to weld a 4runner coil spring assembly in there!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Sounds like a beach truck is the equivilent of a mines truck here in Australia.

Landcruiser utes, less than 20,000kms traveled, and the chassis are rusting in half, cabs have more cancer than an oncology department and they are STUFFED...

In other news, i put my canopy back on... the truck is now over 6' tall at the rear wheels!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

i want some boggers :(

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

tek screw alloy Checkerplate over the dented rear quarters on the Defender.

The lux runs steel bars front, sides and rear now, purely because of the departure angle that the tray gives you!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

BigKOfJustice posted:

The problem with traction control systems off road is they.. can be unpredictable. You'll get onto an obstacle, it'll spin for a bit before it decides to engage and then you may get enough torque distributed to get through an obstacle.

Lockers is the way to go, you can be on something tricky, flick a switch and you're done.

Computer traction control is fine for on pavement I guess, but .. useless off road IMO.

I watched a car with traction control attempt this obstacle, and fail- difflocks are just so certain and make it a lot easier!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_GOkend9A8

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

except you need to buy a spline for a DOM tubing shaft- The Square section shafts work because the corners act as the spline.

They DONT balance, and vibrate like a bastard but if you have Free Wheeling Hubs, then they work fine as long as you dont do high speed 4wding.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Or join the voodoo of compression ignition....

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I think i pay about $12 each for those at ARB in 4.5T WWL.

make SURE you get ones with a load rating for use in crane rigging- check out rigging supply companies.

I used the lux to tow loads up and down trails today, nothing really impressive, just a 12x8 tipper trailer with 3' cage full of grass, dirt and wood chips, and a Vermeer TX600 Mini Skid steer on a trailer.

still needed low range though!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Just ordered a new set of 285/75R16 BF goodrich Mud Terrain KM2's for the lux, and 265/70R16 BFG A/T's for the parents prado.

God drat tyres are expensive in australia!

Should be fitted mid next week.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Its so wierd to see you guys still wheeling the old toyotas- Most of those trucks here in Australia have been retired to the farm to live out their days as chicken coops or paddock bashers now!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

If its not grinding, you can fit bigger tyres...

Coincidently, my 285/75R16 KM2 BFG Muddies rub on the chassis rails at the back at full flex and try to eat the rear of the wheel arches on the front if i turn and flex! :D

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I hate handwinches.... an Electric winch was the best $750 i ever spent!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Do you guys get the Pope Water Tractors over there in the states?

You lay your hose out, hook it up to the sprinkler, put the sprinkler on the hose so it uses it as a guide track and turn it on. it slowly trundles along under your truck spraying it!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Interesting with the VERY different tread patterns front to rear- Seen it before with something like BFG MT's on the front and Cooper STT's on the rear, but never AT's and something as hardcore as Super Swampers.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Helmacron posted:

I'm out of work currently and was going to drive up to the Kosciuscko range today, maybe climb a mountain, maybe drive around in the snow, maybe utilize these chains I found in the garage of the house I'm sharehousing in.

So last night I took out the bung on my 2001 Hilux (tray, extra-cab), took off the oil cap, closed the hood, went inside and slept.

This morning I woke up, bright and early went outside, noticed it must have seriously poured last night. Shrugged. Put back bung, poured oil. Waited. Poured more oil in. Waited. Topped up oil (possibly put a little bit too much, since I haven't got a jug). Waited.

Tried to start my car. The starter turns over, all the lights, the radio comes on. But the engine won't kick in.

So I got out, mused, took some oil out until it's reading just under the line. Waited. Tried again.

I think I broke my car. Anyone have any advice?

Petrol or Diesel?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Negromancer posted:

Anyone ever seen anything like this offroad? Just how insane would I be to buy this thing?

Mate used to have one with an EJ25 from a 2005 Forester dumped into it- 2" lift, Angle grinder to the arches and the biggest All terrains he could find whacked onto it!

went EVERYWHERE we took the hilux. Only thing that let it down was a lack of lockers.

In other news, I took the new truck up the flinders ranges in South Aus last week.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

seen it done on a 38" Swamper- as noones 12v compressors could come close to the volume of air needed to re-seat that fucker!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

We just got wrangler MT/R's fitted to our work truck! Very Happy with them!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

gimpsuitjones posted:

= my job!

Try Harder.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

RFS, or National Parks

National Parks in South Australia.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I love that truck. Are you in Australia? I have decided if I ever moved to another country it would probably be Australia.

Yeah, Based around Adelaide in South Australia. Working with National Parks, so i help look after about 21 parks in the Adelaide Hill and city.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

What exactly is going on here?

I found a natural spring, and 3700kg of vehicle took a swim.

Took 30,000lb of winch effort to pop that bastard out!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Usually cos someone forgot to apply loctite or bend over lock tabs. Mine had an ARB air locker in it, so the lock tabs no longer fit, and your meant to use loctite on them (the high grade not-coming-out-without-a-6'-cheater-bar stuff).

Mine was a 2nd hand diff, and didnt have the loctite... ended up costing me a set of bearings and new gears as they were trashed from the crownwheel moving around

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Unfortunately after driving those V8 Diesel cruisers, everything else seems to have rotary like torque..

Dont know enough about petrol engines to help tho, sorry!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Gutters like to rust out on the old 60 series- especially above the rearmost windows.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

gimpsuitjones posted:

I know they look cool as gently caress and I want one? This isn't really helpful actually

Did you know they can be had with a 4.0L Straight six turbo diesel?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Geared Hub posted:

That right there is my favorite tire... the next new set I'm getting for my truck. I want to get at least another year out of my AT KO's before I switch.

You should get decent mileage out of the KM2's too- Ive got them on the 100 series, which would weigh about the same as a H1 (~3 Tonne) and im up to 35,000kms on mine, with more than half the tread depth left to go.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Got to take the Cruiser out bush today- nothing too hardcore, but playing in the mountains around canberra.

This is pretty much as its sitting today

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Out checking some fire lookouts?

Mt Coree and then down to Flea Creek before heading back in via the Cotter. Nothing too hardcore since we were on our own and the vehicle had to survive to drive to Adelaide today!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Interested how you find em PITT... we have the 235/85R16 MTR's on a work truck (skinny 33" and they seem to be wearing ok- They DO suffer if you push it into a windy road too hard, gets hot and looses grip.

Couple of guys running them on landcruisers arent happy with em- having to run REALLY high pressures to get decent handling and economy out of them.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

oooooooohhhh yeah...

First car- 1992 Hilux 2.8L Diesel.

Bought it for $10K, Sold it for $16K, spent about $20K on doing the engine conversion and rebuild on it. Still drive it from time to time since my old man bought it.

New car- 2005 Landcruiser 100 series turbo diesel.

Paid $53,000 for it, Currently sitting at about $65K sunk in about a year later!

As for Out and dirty, I just got back from a 3500kms trip across the Simpson Desert in Outback Australia. Photos still being sorted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Aisin hubs are also a dime a dozen at wreckers, since every bloody toyota between 1870 and today used em!