Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

wesleywillis posted:

I'm not like some super liberal tree hugger hippie dirt worshipper type but if I had God like powers every time I saw someone rolling coal I'd wave my hand a couple times and send a connecting rod or two through the side of their block. gently caress them.

In other news I put my summer tires on my Tacoma today, the falken wild peak something something's and they rub a bit on the lower control arms when I have the wheel cranked right over. They are the same size as stock, but I guess it must be the tread lugs that go up the sidewalls a bit that are doing it.

Is it safe to assume that this is fine provided I just don't constantly drive with the wheel all the way over?
Is this my introduction to 'trying to do some off roady poo poo 101, tires that probably rub on something'?

I don't want to get spacers, and am willing to tolerate it if there aren't any safety issues I should worry about.

E: Heres a pic for those that might (probably don't) give a poo poo. Thats at full lock to the one side. It squeals a bit. I should probably check the tire pressures, that might help just a bit.

Nothing should be rubbing anywhere on stock size tires, not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Atticus_1354 posted:

That's a good idea. I was thinking about a long cable that I could roll up in the tool box, but a bumper install wouldn't be that hard either.

+1ing the SB175, put a circuit breaker up by the battery for it to keep from frying things. The super handy way is to get a beefy receiver mount for your winch and so you just carry the winch between everything and plug and play it. Also an excuse to put front receivers on your vehicles which are handy not just for winching but for tight-maneuvers with trailers and building stupid cherry pickers to mount to.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Ehud posted:

Does anyone ITT have one of the new Rangers? I've been researching all kinds of 4x4s and I've zeroed in on the Ranger FX4. It feels like a good fit because I'll have a truck for truck stuff, I can fit a car seat for the little one, and it's super capable offroad for some off-roading day and overnight trips. Just curious to hear any goon experiences owning one.

I daily a 2019 XLT FX4 that I picked up last winter. I got it for a really good deal certified with Ford doing .99% for about 10k less than it was new with 17k on it. It's got enough scratches on it that I'm not worried about using it.

The good:

2.3 is great, lots of torque. 10 speed can be hunty but it's fine for daily driving and it can be pretty rowdy if you ask it to be.
Mileage is fine, can be pretty ok on longer trips if you try for it (best I've gotten is 27 indicated, probably actually 26ish).
Drivetrain is relatively well proven, 10 speed should be reliable over time - it's the same as in the F150 but very understressed with the 2.3.
There's room to actually work on it if you need to.
Drives like a truck, rides okay enough, seats are pretty good.
FX4 will have an e-locker.
If you find one without the tow package, you can add a receiver for $180 and it's pre-wired for a 7 pin underneath.
Heated cloth seats are amazing.

The bad:

Ford in general - the dealership experience sucks.
Even if you get the tow package it won't come with a trailer brake controller. You have to wire an aftermarket one into the third brake light to get emergency braking/adaptive cruise braking for the trailer, which involves pulling down the headliner on one side. Dumb.
Interior is dated, so if you're picky you'll probably think it's trash. Lots of plastic. Dash will rattle and squeak some.
Rear seat bottom isn't split, so if you want to get access underneath you have to completely clear the bench off to lift it all at once. Under seat storage sucks, just a couple small weirdly shaped cubbies.
Suspension with the FX4 especially in the rear is rough yet not particularly planted on the road.
I've had some weird electrical gremlins already. Remote started it once, hopped in and turned the key and the dash lit up fully, threw every error and warning it could come up with, and then wouldn't shut off when I turned the key off until I cycled it a few times.
Brakes are spongy because the booster works a bit too well. They stop fine but the travel and lack of firmness in the pedal takes getting used to. I came from a Honda and it felt like they needed bled the first time I drove it.
It's noisy as poo poo with the mechanical engine fan moving a ton of air while warming up.

I got it because it checks the size, power, drivetrain proven-ness (the platform itself is pretty old!) I wanted, and it has a good tow rating that fits my needs. If I didn't need to pretty regularly tow over 5k I would have gotten a Ridgeline, or a Maverick if they were actually available. I would not have paid full price for a new one, it's simply not nice enough to justify over 40k in my opinion. If I were going to spend over 40 I'd just get a mildly used F150. I did add some swing cases to the bed to store all my recovery crap and tools, and that helped the rear seat space/storage a lot.

Before you plunge I suggest you check out the new Colorado/Canyon. The W/T spec with some options matches a loaded XLT for $6-8k less, and the high output 2.7 licks the 2.3's ratings. Also looks to have a split rear seat and generally better creature comforts for the money. I'd also suggest checking out a Ridgeline and a Maverick if you're looking for something that can do offroady stuff, so long as you're not doing anything too crazy - while also being far better daily drivers. If you're not in a hurry, maybe also wait and see what the new Tacoma looks like, supposedly they're going to be offering a hybrid!

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Evil SpongeBob posted:

My work car is an ascent. I've been driving it for 2 years and still not used to the rubber banding.

I should drive it up Silverado canyon "for science".

I test drove an Ascent when they first came out and from a stop it was either barely crawling or trying to spin tires, no smooth in-between. It completely turned me off it.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Splinter posted:

My GX470 came with a basically new set of Defender LTX M/S , and they've been pretty great with most things I've thrown at them, whether it be snow, long highway trips (quiet and wear well) and some moderate offroading (in terms of traction on mostly dry rocky/dirt trails, no mud). However, I did have a handful of small, patchable leaks (not full on flats) when I was offroading more often that in my mind wouldn't have happened with a burlier all terrain tire. I've finally, a few years later, worn them down enough to justify getting a new set, and I'm likely going to switch to an AT that is decent on the highway.

I put a set on my Ranger because they're full-depth siped and love them so far with just street use. Seems like it would be beneficial for their ability to conform to surfaces off-road and by providing some flex, but also seems like the siping would make individual tread blocks very fragile on sharp rocks and such.