Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

ExecuDork posted:

What are people using to make those time-lapse videos? I've got a GoPro that lasts about 2 hours on battery, and a cheap dashcam that might last longer and take worse pictures.

I’ve got a Hero7 Black and just this weekend played with the ‘time warp’ stabilized time lapse video and it is amazing. I haven’t tried it up until then and I’ve had it for a year now. Battery lasted plenty long for what I needed to do. You can plug it into an external power source as well to keep it charged up and going assuming it doesn’t get too hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Went out on Saturday to Little Moab to adventure around some of the trails in the area and let the kiddos climb all over some of the rocks while they pretend it is a "castle". Had to park hard and see how well the Old Man Emu twisted up. Pretty decent for just a 1.5 inch lift.

did not bother to air down because :effort: also note the new scars on the passenger steps from a pretty steep ascent with a boulder I apparently felt my way around. Step sliders are 99.9% happening this month.

best thing was my kids literally spilling out of the side of the car when the door opened.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

Alright it's been awhile since I had the jeep in the OP. I'm currently in savings mode for a new daily driver 4x4 overland project. Anyone in here rocking a full size tundra? I'm seriously looking at a new one for sometime this year then adding a poptop ovrlnd camper shell to the back.

Pop top campers are so sick. Trucks with beds don't really do it for me, but the new Tundra must be really good because my high school friend that works for a major Land Cruiser Outfitter(s) sold his 200 series Land Cruiser and bought a new Tundra. He said the main motivator was because he wanted a truck to do truck things (Home Depot runs) and he got tire of folding seats/climbing into the 200 series. I see a lot of them around, including this guy: https://www.instagram.com/dakartundra/ which is a very sick build.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

:justpost:ing some things from off roading.

Doing "The Funnel" obstacle near Sand Hollow

Scrubbed a little paint off of the bottom of my bumper and dragged my hitch receiver but nothing too bad. My childhood friend was spotting me. Here he is in his manual transmission Tacoma

At "The toll booths". It is a tight squeeze. You have to fold your mirrors in, otherwise they will get crushed and returned to Mother Earth. Speaking of mothers - my 71 year old mom went on this trip with me and my kids. Cool mom.

Here is a video of another little obstacle. It was so much fun banging around these rocks.
https://imgur.com/QcgNgtB

I know I missed tire talk from a page or two back but my KO2's have been flawless. That includes Moab, forest service roads in the mountains, winter in Utah and towing our little tear drop trailer. I have run them at 15psi up to 40psi and everywhere in between. I do not do the mud thing really. We have a lot of shale and granite and red rocks and they have not chunked out. They are nearly 4 years old at this point and have worn evenly. They are really quiet. Nothing but a great experience. My only regret was not doing the white letters out.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah I figured you would have to reinforce the frame and get a better axle. I don't know how much that saves versus buying a nicer trailer to begin with. Travel trailer prices of all types are way up in space right now. I'm really not sold on putting a rooftop tent on my truck, and even if I got a camper shell, I am too tall to sleep in the short bed. Maybe I'll rent something before I make a decision. I'm really just looking for a project, lol.

This sounds like the perfect candidate for a GoFastCamper setup. People that have them seem to be extremely about them. I’ve seen quite a lot of them here in Utah.

Trolling Facebook marketplace you can probably find someone else’s homebrew utility converted trailer; or army surplus trailer build for a reasonable amount. Buying an off the shelf system will be spendy right now. I’m a year and a half into the ownership of my off-road teardrop and I’ve been totally satisfied with the purchase. It was exactly what we wanted as far as ‘needs’ and wants. We’ve been out ten times so far this year.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Mantle posted:

So I went up to Watersprite lake this weekend near Squamish in my stock Pajero iO. It's basically a Suzuki Sidekick sized vehicle and had no real problems with the features, except one steep area where I had diagonal wheels off the ground.

One thing I learned is that 4H by itself really can get through a lot of stuff, and 4L didn't really seem to make things better where 4H or 4Hc couldn't get me through (i.e. Where the problem is about picking the right line).

So that made me wonder, when do I need 4L? Is it just for super steep sections with lots of traction? Or getting over high obstacles like big rocks?

Running in 4L can also help with transmission temps and engine temps. The engine doesn't have to work as hard to spin the transmission. Less slipping of whatever wizardry it is that happens inside the slushbox.

Seems like I should add some kind of media to this post so enjoy this video of a smol Jerp.

https://i.imgur.com/uMnnSxN.mp4

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Probably going to be out of my Colorado by the end of the year as it just doesn't fit my passenger needs anymore, and while the bed is immensely convenient for beach trips and occasional Home Depot runs, it remains empty most of the time.

I'm not interested in a full size truck at all. I guess my options are going to be Jeep, 4Runner, or Bronco? I don't think an Outback with tires is going to do it for me. Jeeps seem to be terrible on road, 4Runners are on an old platform, and Broncos seem to be smaller inside than they look but I'm not sure. Any other options out there? Looking for a new or newer 4-door SUV style real 4WD.

I don't know if you were budgeting new or pre-owned. I was seriously considering ordering a brand new 4 door Bronco but after sitting in one I realized quickly it would not fit my family (three young kids/car seat hell).

My answer is Land Cruiser. The dealer I went to and looked at the Bronco (when they first were arriving) I was looking at an LX 570. I had driven the LX, a 2013 that had like 120K miles on it and asking ~$35K. Then I sat in the Bronco. At half the price the LX was better.

A little less than a year later; I just bought a 2013 LX 570 with 130K miles for $29K. It needs some maintenance (I will be under a grand into fluids/plugs/misc things) and spent $3500 on a full set of 5 wheels/tires (17" Icon/33" KO2). As I have looked at the pricing of all SUVs and what was out there the 200 series LC platform is unmatched. Just drive one, and if is not "too big" for you then it is the best thing you can buy. It does a lot of things you want, but some things might be too outdated for you. For me it is worth the sacrifice. (It does have heated/cooled seats, heated wheel, remote start, BT audio streaming, wireless headphones for the rear entertainment)

The GX is probably the next best option if you can get over the dumb rear door thing.

RE: Diesel Heaters; I got a ton of info from Advent Horizon and Tomarse about the diesel heaters. I have been building one into working with my teardrop trailer and will be posting a full writeup in my thread when I am done. So far it is cool! I bought the VEVOR 5kw with a blue face controller. It doesn't have the fine tuning for altitude but it does have an Alpine mode.

I think I am less than $200 overall into this project so far.

EDIT:

This thing is AWESOME and please post a ton of photos and details as you build it out.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

If I don't get a new vehicle, I'm going to shell out for the SPC UCAs. The creaking from these urethane bushings is driving me crazy. I might even put the original ones back on. I'm only 2 inch lift, and while the originals were certainly stretched, they were not beyond the limit.

I have SPC UCAs on my LX 470. I am unimpressed. The ball joints failed in less than 10K miles and I am not anything approaching "hardcore off road person". The replacements don't seem to be fairing much better. They didn't fail like snapped; but they got sloppy and had to be replaced. I am not alone with this either. There are a number of other people with 100 series Toyotas that all share similar sentiments. I bought them because I read on ih8mud they were the second coming of UCAs. With a bit more digging and prodding I can see they are not. I have such a small lift going back I would have just done OEM Toyota.

I don't recall what you are using now but if you can run OEM I would say do that first, then look into other brands. For Toyota it seems the Total Chaos seem to be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

(Disclaimer: this advice largely applies to my experience in the western deserts, not heavily forested areas although I do travel to those as well)

I've used Gaia for years and have a 5yr premium subscription - I think I got mine on a Father's Day sale or something for ~$125. It's worth every penny to me, and I make a hobby of marking notes on good campsites or open roads wherever I am/whenever I'm out in the dirt. It's real value is downloading offline maps you can use out of cell service as long as your device has GPS (I use an old-rear end iPad 3 or w/e).
I haven't tried OnX Offroad but I have tried my buddy's OnX Hunt subscription, purely to check private land ownership plots as it's oriented to hunters. It too has offline maps and seems quite usable.

Tbh, you can go a long way scouting roads with Google Maps these days, especially satellite mode (they have the best image resolution). Gaia used to have a GSat overlay, but Google changed the API or some nerdy crap and it's not in there anymore, so I regularly tab between Google Maps Satellite (scouting dirt road quality, are there gates, etc) and Gaia (topo maps, creating routes/elevations, marking prospective campsites).

None of them will tell you what trails are open/available to my knowledge, or what the area conditions will be - your best bets there will be USFS/BLM/XYZ Park OHV or dispersed camping pages, careful google satellite scouting, and local oldschool greybeard message boards/websites where people effortpost trip reports. As painful as they are, local 4x4 facebook groups can be a good resource too - every time someone posts a picture of their rig on a trail, the first five replies are WHERE IS THAT?? WAT TRAIL?? and you can go from there. Nothing beats an experienced local though - I have a longtime friend I met at work years ago who introduced me to places I never would have thought to look at. Try to meet those guys.

This is all really excellent and I have bolded the parts I that have had the best success with. I have found some people can leave enough bread crumbs on instagram here and there and if you make friendly with some people like a DM relationship; commenting on stories and posts and whatnot you can get to a point where you can ask like "Hey, is this near ____" because the more you get out and explore you will start to recognize environments and general areas. They will sometimes confirm or will even share the pin. Since you are not the idiot just geotagging your posts and specifically posting the public comment of "THIS IS ___" they will recognize that you are probably someone that likely has good practices like tread lightly/leave no trace and will respect the area.

But yeah I have also totally found spots because of the dummies that just openly blab the spot.

Relevant to getting outside in my FOUR BI FOUR (fresh from this weekend!)

And this automatically stitched photo from my Mini 3 Pro is pretty neat. Just push a button and it does this?