Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

A pic from a few years ago at Uwharrie nat'l forest. This was when the troop had 35's and no lift, just some sawzall and a little sledge:

Here's one from the initial flex test, post SAS:

Now she's just sitting in the driveway, waiting to be finished :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Jack_Handey posted:

Buy an old Suzuki Samurai front axle and leaf springs and put it under that Tracker.

Wouldn't be worth the trouble. If you are going through the trouble of an axle swap, might as well put something under there that will last a little while (toyota 8" or waggy d44's).

Throw a locker in the rear and with the rest of your plan it will be a super fun beater/sleeper.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

incredibull posted:

So do you guys think Mahindra trucks are ever going to come to the North America? I stopped paying attention for a bit and now I can't figure out if it's been canceled or not. Latest I've read is Q4 2010, but I think it's a bit late for that to come true.

I've been drooling over the four-door model for a long time now, but it keeps getting pushed further and further back. Battles with the EPA and negotiations with Navistar for production are promising, but this has been in the works for a few years now with no tangible product to speak of.

I think a few of you guys would agree that if this truck is even as good as the Toyota pickup of 20 years ago, I'd be willing to sell a fair share of toys that I own and both of my vehicles to buy one. We've been getting screwed out of a small diesel pickup for too long, and I'm sick of it.

After seeing some in person overseas, I think it's just a lot of foreign envy--can't get it over here and thus it's more awesome than it really is. However, any smaller-midsize 4x4 turbo diesel pickup would be awesome (love my liberty crd, but I'd trade it in an instant for a diesel wrangler/pickup).

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

trouser chili posted:

Stupidly, CRD in the Liberty is equipped with EGR. There are a few things worse in my mind than running sooty diesel exhaust directly into your intake, but not many. If you get a Diesel Lib, plan on finding a way to disable the EGR and you should be very happy with it.

It's very easy to bypass if you don't mind a CEL and some extra fumes under the chassis. Becomes more difficult if you want to be more environmentally conscious. There are ECU tunes that reduce the amount of funk by about 75%, and add a good bit of power, but then you need to upgrade the torque converter, then why not the trans computer and get your shift points where they should be?

But yeah, the ERG stuff is silly--pull the MAP sensor out of any CRD and it looks like a licorice gumdrop. Plus, it's the cause of most of the problems people encounter in these rigs.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Letters in. Letters out feels too 80's show truck. But if you are rockin' dual steering stabilizer, quad shocks at every corner, a windshield visor, and a killer custom 2-tone fade paint job w/ ghost flames, go for it.

In all honesty, it really doesn't matter, but letters in looks better to me.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Droolin' over that diesel. Light and powerful as hell. Really, it's got pretty much the perfect numbers for mid-fullsize truck and suv workhorses or offroaders. I hope it makes a big enough splash if/when it's released. Nothing sucks more than having an engine that was only around for a year or two and then having to find parts in 10 years--e.g., I LOVED my CRD jeep, but as awesome as that engine was, it would be hard to buy another one knowing that parts are only getting more scarce.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Astonishing Wang posted:

Did some 'froadin today!

Corral Canyon SVRA in southern California

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b70qIVQ_wOU

Nice. Good spottin' on that one! I'd have had to pry the seat cover out of my rear end after making it past that section.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

tuna posted:

Has anybody ever taken their rear seats out of a 4-door-anything and regretted it while offroad/camping/etc? I rarely ever have my rear seats in use. With the Jeep JKU, removing the rear seats and doors (and replace with plastic halfdoors), will save 300lbs in weight. I can also use the rear seat recesses for more secure storage, which is a benefit during top down season.

Nope. If you aren't using them, and you won't be adding any passengers out on the trail, pull them out and save the wear and tear.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Few months back I finally got to take out my bastard rig out to Uwharrie Natl Forest in NC for a trail ride. It was rainy as hell and nobody wanted to ride much, and as this was a brand specific group from the internet, they'd rather sit at camp and talk about cam durations and valve springs and bad corporate decisions and other idiot brand homerism minutia. My buddy and I were seething with rage wanting to hit the trail and eventually a few others were ready to hit some bunny trails (that get harder/fun when it's muddy).

On the trail:

little break in the action:

The Group Shot (TM):

After this, we spent the next hour + on recovery maneuvers as another rig had some trouble getting up a slick hill the next trail, and then his winch fried out on him, then his battery quit, and we pulled him off the hill and got him jumped, but it wouldn't stay running...it wasn't a great spot to be stuck in, but luckily there wasn't much traffic on the trail, and we eventually got his rig to stay running and we got back to camp. It's all part of the fun! Nobody got hurt and after he cleaned his terminals and put on a new clamp, he was good as gold. Not sure how his winch is doing though.

After getting back to camp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfgxgE_uMmA
note the unintential jerk to the left when the rear detroit kicked in and drivers side tire caught the wall. Good times.

It was nice to get some 4low therapy, but we didn't get to ride as much as we wanted. I found out I had a "going bad" wheel bearing that prevented us from playing much more. Limped it back home and it's now awaiting a break in the heat for more upgrades (RCV joints and shafts, new bearings/seals/bj's, rear alloys, an engine upgrade, body lift reduction and bigger tires.)

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

They are fun and capable little rigs. I had a few through college and few years beyond, but this one is more of a familiar shell and frame holding a decent drivetrain in/under it.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

Woah this thing is awesome. I had an 89' with a lovely 2.8 GM six.

What power/trans/case/axles are you running in that thing?

Right now it's got the stock GM 2.8 with the isuzu mua5 manual trans/case. I've got 3.07:1 low range gears in the case though. I've got a rebuilt and slightly hopped up 3.4 out of a camaro waiting to go in when I get the time. The 2.8 is a turd but luckily it likes going to 5k+ rpm, so I milk every last bit of it's amazing 125hp. The 3.4 will be closer to 185+hp.

The axles are a late 70's wagoneer dana 44 front with 5.38's and an ox locker. I have RCV shafts and joints waiting to go in so it will be a little more stupid-proof. The rear is a dana 44 out of a mid 90's rodeo with 5.38's and a detroit. There's not much off the shelf for upgrading the shafts so I'm going to have to order a custom set from moser to help it out until I upgrade to something bigger.

I also just bought some 37" pitbull rockers to go in place of the 35" trxus m/t's on it now. Hoping to get a lot done the next couple months so I can take it out more in the fall.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Is a 3800 to big to fit? I know its a pretty wide for a V6

It would fit and even bolt up (GM 3800 has the 60* bolt pattern although it's a 90* V). The SC 3800 would be sweet as gently caress, but the 3.4 is literally a drop in replacement. I can use all my accessories, computer, harness, and everything on it. I'm upgrading to a 4.3 throttle body and boring my intake to match, and it will have an aftermarket cam and roller rockers. It will be a big improvement, having driven a 3.4 trooper previously, and very little hassle to swap. With the 3800, it would bolt up to the trans, but that would be the end of the simple stuff. I'd have a lot more fiddling to do, and the last thing I want is another neverending project or constant troubleshooting. If I ever (when I) go down the ~300hp engine rabbit hole, I'll probably go with a vortec 5.3 GM or something with a ton of aftermarket to keep things as easy as possible.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Sadi posted:

So yeah, heres the deal. Im still eyeing playing with off roading. Mudin sounds lame as poo poo to me. But I love the idea of some rough trails and camping. Problem is Im in south carolina and not CO or UT. So I figure my options are something like a 1k-2k XJ, a ~5k FJZ80 with lockers, or a wrangler I can find around 5k or under. The way I see it (having done next to no off roading) lockers are super handy, and basically the FJ has hardcore diffs and good enough lockers that its mark up might make up for what id have to spend on lockers (and probably bigger diffs) for an XJ. Am I being a dumb rear end, and should just buy a lovely 1K xj, beat it to poo poo and see what happens?

Depending on where you are in SC, there's lots of wheelin' to be done. I'm just outside of Charlotte and I've got Uwharrie, Brown Mtn (not much, but not nothing), Devil's Playground, and the Gulches all within about 2 hrs, and some other stuff a little further west in TN.

I am going to go against the goon consensus and vote a resounding FZJ80 if you can get your mits on one from the mid 90's with less than 200k for $5k. It's an overbuilt, capable, comfortable, dependable rig. Heavier but thats about the only downfall compared to an XJ. XJ's are ok, don't get me wrong, but if you are going to actually wheel it with larger than stock tires, you're going to start swapping parts in, starting with the rear axle if it's the POS dana 35.. A toyota 4runner of any vintage is also a great capable dependable wheeler (if you look at a 90-95 with the 3.0 make sure the head gaskets have been done). More room for you and your poo poo in the 80 also.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Oooh poo poo son, check out that orange...

My R&P and hubs are the only things that should possibly break now. Hopefully just hubs, since they are warrantied and easy to change.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Yarp. Good ol' waggy dana 44 w/ the OX, 5.38's, and just got the RCV's done with all new fresh bearings, seals, & balljoints. BTW my D ring shackles are only like 3", they aren't as gently caress off retarded huge as they look

Can't wait to see how the 37's do here pretty soon.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

A couple weeks back I got out to Big Creek, which is a private deal out near Uwharrie Nat'l Forest in central NC. First time out with the new tires and RCV's.

Even with 3:1 in the case and 5.38s in the diffs, with the manual, it's not low enough for the technical stuff. An auto would help, or a diesel, or a crawl box to bring the low range down another 2x. I'll probably go auto + doubler over the next year. But aside from having to 3-foot it through the rocks, the drat rig did awesome. Ate up everything we threw at it. Great day trip.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Hit Uwharrie a couple weekends ago. Went with my local club. There were 2 buggies, a very built CJ7, 1 J truck, 1 very built Commando, 2 XJs, 1 SAS'd Sidekick, my SAS'd Trooper, and 14 JK/JKU's. I wheeled a lot more back in the early 2000s and back then the trails were teeming with TJ's. This day I saw 1 TJ the whole day on the trails. I guess you Jeep people just upgrade every 10 years.

My kiddo (scooby doo hat in the corner) had fun on his first ride :3:

my view most of the day:

Sweet J truck with super duty axles, hummer beadlocks and olde schoole goodyear m/t's

unfortunately he had the ol' 4.2 with a carb that doesn't enjoy hanging out at an incline for any period of time.

When posing on Poser rock goes a little too far. Even $40k buggies aren't immune to getting stuck doing dumb poo poo.

FYI, if you have 23 rigs show up for a ride, maybe split them into 2-3 groups.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

EightBit posted:

That, or after ten years of being wheeled, poo poo is falling apart.

No doubt. I just kinda figured that the surviving TJ's would be more a more affordable starting point for a weekend warrior. Or maybe I'm just getting old and it seems weird to see so many "new" "expensive" Jeeps out on the trail.

I do have to admit, for all the unoriginality snark I can toss out to the drivers, the JK's are pretty impressive on the trail. We had a middle aged mom driving her kids and husband around in a totally stock JKU. She smoked her clutch for the first hour, but after some coaching she was doing much better. No siginificant damage and nobody had to pull cable or strap up all day (aside from yanking the buggy off Poser Rock). With some good spotting, she made it through some pretty gnarly lines.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Goddman I'm jealous of all the scenery you folks have out West. I'm hoping that my impending midlife crisis will involve driving/wheeling through a lot of it.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

The goddamn Ivan Stewart paint job on that FJ is the TITS. I'm trying to design my own retro stadium truck paint job without completely biting the Ivan Stewart theme, but it looks so drat good.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

I've heard of the center (or centre) diff getting annihilated on those lt230 cases when they're unlocked in icy/slick conditions. Something about losing traction and the diff spinning so fast the heat builds up and it welds itself and asplodes.

Ah found it at pirate4x4 from Dave Ashcroft himself:

quote:

You will only break the stock one if :

1) you tow it !

2) you are wheelspinning with the diff unlocked

3) you have it locked when on the road

I haven't had one myself, but I've been researching the case as a potential swap into my turd. For a trail rig I'd pick up one of the part time conversion diffs. Ashcroft makes a $$$ product, Quaife has an LSD center diff that costs more than my whole rig, but I'm sure I've seen more reasonably priced parts as part of a part time conversion kit. Party part part.

Anyway, easy with the drifting is all I'm saying.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Welp. 2 years of club dues – we’re talkin’ a hundred clams total – finally paid off. A rep from General Tire got in touch with the club asking for volunteers to test out a new tire they were releasing in the fall. The only stipulation was the ability to be at the trail on a workday. If I’m not traveling, I work from home, so I sent them a nice shot of my rig and a spec sheet.

I think I sent them this shot:

To my surprise they said yes. The first batch they were releasing were the 35x12.50/17 size, and that worked fine for me. A size down, but hey it’ll be fun to participate in A Thing. They told me I’d get to keep the set of 5 wheels and tires after the photo/film shoot. Say whaaa? Awesome.

So they pick out some blingy wheels and send the package to a local Discount Tire for me to pick up, and they also finally tell me what the tires actually are. I thought they may just be some larger sizes of the current General Grabber M/T’s, but they were actually the new General Grabber X3

I get them mounted up on my trusty old piece of poo poo:

…and proceed to enjoy the difference in a brand new modern era mud terrain tire, all quiet and smooth and poo poo, vs my half worn 37” pitbulls that at 35 mph drowned out all other noises and also made any greater than 15 min drive a literal pain in the rear end. I also had a local shop, Metalwerx, glue together a tire carrier for me in time for the event.

I make the nice 2 hr drive to Uwharrie Nat’l Forest and meet up with half a dozen other drivers and General people. There’s a big rear end Ram truck with a sweet in bed camper, a General rep in another Ram, and then 5 or 6 JK’s.

Goddamn JKs.

Everywhere.

I take it mine is the token beater, and I’m ok with that. We proceed to the hardest section of the hardest trail (which isn’t that hard, but you can mangle your poo poo if you aren’t careful) which is the guardrail “obstacle” on Rocky Mtn Loop. Just a rocky section. There are bypasses and hardlines and the trail to guardrail is fun.

They didn’t give me any shots from when I was really in the poo poo, but they did get a few cool shots.

Unfortunately, I managed to rip my shock mount off the frame on the rear pass side, which then ended up snagging some fuel pump wiring and caused the trooper to stall out a few times. Eventually it stopped me cold and I had to be towed back to the Outpost to fix it. At the time we didn’t know what it was, because the time I fully stalled out and we tinkered a bit under the hood, the pass tire was stuffed in the wheelwell and we couldn’t see in there.

The shame!

When I got the the outpost I found the issue. Luckily it only pulled a wire loose from its connector. There were plenty of fuel and brake lines around it could have gotten a hold of. I fixed up the wiring, cranked her up, and decide to 3 shock it back home. Not surprisingly, it rode absolutely no different. I guess a couple years and a half dozen wheeling trips using the shock as a bumpstop must have destroyed the shocks long ago. Remember to set your bumpstops to actually work, kids.

Anyway, even though the day was cut short, I had a great time with some good folks. And they included the trooper in one of their promo films:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SosBBPBqd88

And they gave it one of its own short films:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IjjoYWfHdo

Maybe it will end up in some widespread ad copy in some tire stores or something.

Pretty sweet way to get a free set of tires in any case.

Paulie fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 17, 2016

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Motronic posted:

I love that you're rocking a trooper. I had an '88 back in the day and it was awesome (other than the 4 cylinder).

I had a 91 when I started college back in 99, then proceeded to destroy it, then had an 86 beater and an 88 that went from a reliable set of wheels to something resembling what I have now before I graduated. Got this one a few years back. It's got the small, gutless but high revving and reliable GM 2.8 V6 (much improved from the version they put in the early s10's and XJ's) which will soon be swapped for an enormous fire breathing 3.4 V6 from a mid 90's camaro. There are lots of "if they had only done this these things would have been amazing" quirks to them, but they are great trail beaters, hunt/camp/fish and putt around town rigs.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

kastein posted:

Any reason you're ignoring the obvious 3800sc swap? :ninja:

I mean, it will bolt to the same tranny, I can't guarantee it will handle the power or bolt to any other things involved, but you clearly have the skill to make it happen if you want to.

More money, more time involved. I am trying to avoid getting stuck behind the wrench instead of the wheel.. The 3800SC been done, and it's very appealing, but the 3.4 is so plug and play it's not even funny, like cursedshitbox mentioned. I got a good deal on a rebuilt assembly with a good aftermarket cam and roller rockers, larger 4.3 TBI and matched intake, etc etc, so it should move me from <135hp to 175-185 or so. But the goddamn 2.8 just won't die. I need to just go ahead and pick a weekend to get it over with.

DJ Commie posted:

I'm looking for lockers for my Daihatsu Rocky (F300 aka Fourtrak/Feroza in ROW) and after finding outs its like $1200 for just a rear unit, I might as well take the lock-rite equipped Toyota 7.5" axle I have and get some 5.29 gears and some 5x4.5" to 5x5.5" wheel adapters. Anyone think it won't be strong enough? I have some 31" ATs and its under 3000lbs loaded down with gear.

Note: Rocky axle is 54" from inside of rear drum backing plates, Toyota is 51". Should be a perfect fit with adapters.

An 8" rear would obv be more better. They were ~54-55" wms-wms prior to '86, and 58" wide until the tacomas, but 6 on 5.5. For a rocky on 31's the 7.5" would probably be ok though, I'd think. Rockys are cool little beasts.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Geology posted:

I'm in love with this photo and your trooper. Also very cool that you got to test out and keep new tires! So how'd they do compared to the pitbulls? I've heard that in general, it's very difficult to get replacement pitbulls if/when you shred one. Have you experienced that?

I'm very tempted to replace my Wrangler MT/Rs with red-letters but they are inexcusably heavy. Why are they so heavy??

Thanks. Free tires rule. They are magnificent on the road in comparison to the 1/2 worn Pitbulls. They are a bit quieter than my previous set of trxus M/T's. The Pitbulls were amazing on the trail. The Grabber's were good on the trail, but I didn't see any mud or really much in the way of loose dirt hillclimbs and that sort of stuff. At least not yet. But I have no complaints so far, but we'll see how things go.

I have never shredded a Pitbull, in fact that would be the least of my worries. I bought them used for about $800 I think. It would be very hard for me to pay full price for a set of Pitbulls. They are awesome but I'd have to really look into the replacement/warranty situation before unloading a massive sum of money for them.

RE the red letter Grabbers that have been out for a while, I don't know if/why they are so heavy...if you're looking at anything above a C range, it's going to be a thicker carcass. Those tires never held my interest. They seem like a desert/dirt A/T tire, and out here, if it gets wet you need something with voids and sharp tread blocks to get any grip in the slippery clay mud. The 37" Pitbulls plus birddog wheels were like 125lb per corner, and the 35" Grabbers on the Gear alloys felt much lighter.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

tacopie posted:

Were your Pitbulls bias or radial?

Radials. Wanna buy 'em? :D

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

tacopie posted:

I'm just surprised. Everything that i see online says they are great tires on or offroad.

They are amazing off road, and I'm sure when they're new they're pretty good on road and not quite as loud as they are now. I mean it's only going to be so good on road with the massive tread voids and weird pattern. Most M/T's get louder as they get older, and it's usually worse the more aggressive the tire is. I have seen lots of fantastic reviews of the Pitbull radials as well, but not many long term reviews. If I lived 15 minutes from the trails instead of 2 hours I'd sell the Generals and keep the Pitbulls.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If General is looking for anyone to help advertise their snow tires, my Subaru's set of Arctics is getting worn out and I have already bought three more sets since that one.

But really I'll take any tires they got.

I think it was really a right place right time deal where they are looking to release their new tire soon and their marketing crew for the tire is located in the region, and I happen to be in the club they contacted. If you really wanted to go for it, you could contact them through their social media to see if they are releasing any new winter tires this year and if they are looking for testers or holding any release events.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Outback and out West, nice.

That Willys owns.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

tacopie posted:

Well poo poo, when my stock tires wear out on my JK I was planning on running them. So far 20k on the stock tires and very little signs of wear so maybe in a few years there will be something that cracks skulls and does as well on road as off. I know that is wishful thinking.

A Pitbull will not a terrific daily driver make, whether they are past the QC issues or not. Adequate, sure. Comfortable? Meh. Most of the new breed of radial BFG/Nitto/Toyo/Falken/Cooper etc do well enough for 99% of what you'll face in whatever off-road situation you find yourself in and they'll also be pretty decent on the road. The "old" Super Swamper TRXUS M/T's were a great compromise between on road and off road performance. I've said it a hundred time probably now but I think the new Cooper M/T's look like a milder more street friendly Pitbull Rocker. If I hadn't gotten these Grabber X3's I probably would have gone for those next.

Enough words, here's a pre-offroad pic of the beater after switching the wheels back to the old Interco Birddog wheels.

The tire tech was impressed with how easy the tires went onto the wheels, so much so that he double checked the wheel size. One of their design features.

Also just replaced the decade old blown out procomp 9000s up front and 3000s out back with 5100 series Bilsteins. Hopefully it survives the 500 mile round trip this weekend.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

For a recreational wheeler, and having driven and wheeled both styles, IMO the simplicity and build-ability of solid axles wins. Wheeling an IFS, you'll be popping cv's, tie rods and other steering bits, they are typically more expensive to upgrade, if they are upgradable at all, usually a huge pain in the rear end to tear into the diffs, etc.

For racing, you're spending gobs either way, but the Independent ultra 4's are straight up gnarly.

E: it also greatly depends on your terrain and driving style and all that poo poo, but in general- simpler, less moving parts, more beef = more fun and easier to keep going.

Paulie fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 25, 2017

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

tuna posted:

Here's a video from this weekend where we crested a particularly sketchy peak from the wrong direction. We had no idea what was up top or if the very loose rock trail continued or not (you can hear our wheels slipping a lot). Apparently it led to a very sudden mountain drop, so you can hear us freaking out! The winds must've been 50mph+ and added to the sense of discomfort at that height.

Warning: LOUD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivD_jQlmA5E

Might wanna get and walk it first next time. Did you end up backing down?

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

gimpsuitjones posted:

punishingly boring and pompous

:spergin: OVERLANDING in a nutshell

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Nohearum posted:

Any goons 4x4 with a 2nd Gen Trooper? Been looking for a 4x4 that isn't a Toyota (the Toyota tax is insane in Colorado) and clean Troopers keep popping up for not much money.

I've always had first gens, but I'm on all the Isuzu forums and a bunch of groups and have gleaned some info over the years. The 92-97's are great with the manual. The SOHC and DOHC 3.2 are good motors I think you get somewhere in the neighborhood of 185-195hp. Some tinkering jobs can be tough, similar to many Japanese motors of the era. The auto is the 4L30e, and a problem for heavier vehicles like the trooper. They just aren't really up to the job for very long (125-150k they seem to go, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on use and maintenance) and unless it's been recently replaced/rebuilt, you might as well put a couple G's aside for one. With the manual, you're good to go. If you find a 93-95 short wheelbase 2 door, those are a lot of fun and rare as heck. Stock I believe all models are geared 4.56, but if you can find them, you can swap in a set of 4.77's that were optional in the 1st gens. You can get the Aussie/Lokka lunchbox locker for both ends, as well as ARB air lockers and Harrop e-lockers. Independent4x makes and carries aftermarket stuff for them. OME, sway-away, and others make suspension kits, and you can piece together a decent kit for cheap with a bit of know-how. Upgraded tie rods and such are easily pieced together as well. There are still some revolution gear 3.07:1 transfer case gear sets out there, and they aren't too expensive compared to some others out there.

Fitting 33" tires is simple and doesn't take much. 35's+ will have you breaking poo poo and may not be smartest idea without a solid axle swap.

The 98-02 models suffer the same trans issues but also the burn oil like nobody's business. To remedy you have to pull the pistons and enlarge the oil drain back holes. A manual with a rebuilt/replaced 3.5 is a blast, but tough to find. 98+ gets you a much larger rear end (although the 92-97 unit is very stout), but not much aftermarket at all and no gearing options.

planetisuzoo.com is a good, active forum and there are groups on FB as well (Isuzu Trader is one).

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

That first sami seems like a good deal for one with a few things already done, and as long as the work on it was done well, should stay fairly trouble free while you learn the ropes. The 2nd one is almost too nice to beat on, and you'd probably end up wanting to do some of the same mods on it that were already done on the 1st one - the locker, t-case gears, winch, etc.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Recently went on a wheelin day trip at Uwharrie with some other Isuzus, and brought my oldest (who is 6). It's his second time on a ride and although it got gnarly a few times, he was a ...wait for it... trooper :downsrim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5EEG5tP6Hw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG1QzC6Vrs0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zun_c6Va3mY

You'll see in the first couple vids, my front locker wasn't locked. It's an OX and I just needed to adjust the cable a little and it was good to go later. I need deeper gears, less lift, bigger tires, and hydro assist steering and then maybe I'll be happy. But it gets me around ok for now :)

I essentially used the drive down to finish breaking in the engine I just swapped in, a GM iron head 60* 3.4 v6 out of a mid 90's camaro, which took the place of the old original 2.8. A modest increase in power, and with the 5.38's it goes about like stock although it weighs probably 1000lb heavier and pushes a lot more wind. No problems out of it. I am going to see if I can mod the PS pump for a little better steering at idle to tide me over until I can drop $ on having a box tapped and ported for assist.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Kastivich posted:

What size tires are you running here?

35x12.50/17

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

xzzy posted:

So I stumbled across this guy's site:

http://www.trailimage.com/map

Which is one of the coolest resources for planning a trip I've ever found online because it actually has some categorization for the various tracks that litter Idaho. Apparently the source is Idaho itself, from here: https://trails.idaho.gov/

Traditionally when I'm plotting dirt road trips I use forest service maps or paper maps purchased in the area, which works, but having a clickable web based map is pretty loving badass. And the handful of roads I've taken in Idaho, the data appears pretty accurate. The idaho.gov site even lists what times of the years a road is open if you click on it.

Anyone know if any other states publish data like this? It's hard to google because anything like "montana trails" or "montana ohv map" is gonna get a whole heaping pile of poo poo.

This site: https://www.trailsoffroad.com/ has been working for a few years to create trail guides (map, video, etc) for all public trails in the US. It's a sorta volunteer effort - regular Joes can sign up to contribute and work with them to document the trails.

e: but if you search a state and "OHV", if they have any publicly maintained/owned OHV trails, you'd better believe they will have code and law governing use and access, which will typically be available or at least mentioned on one of the state's .gov sites.

Paulie fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 3, 2018

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Nice runner. You'll probably want to convert it to the IFS steering box to get rid of the push-pull box at some point, since they limit travel significantly. One of the best features of the pre-IFS trucks is the hump in the frame up front, leaving more room for uptravel and steering clearance with less lift.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

I have the cheapo screw on deflators. I start on one tire, then wait a few beats and move on to the next, et cetera. Once the first tire is done I unscrew that deflator, and make my way around. Usually pull them a few lbs early and fine tune from there.

I have the interco birddog wheels with dual valve stems, so I could pull the valve core and still measure pressure while it deflates, which goes very quickly, but then I'm stuck doing them one at a time. Plus it really sucks to drop a valve core in the dirt and frantically try to find it before you completely deflate the tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Got out and got dirty at Big Creek Rocks in Troy, NC, a private trail system essentially across the street from the Uwharrie Nat'l Forest OHV trails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7psvoegAV4E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TJCC1fP_ZM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxT7e6sW_2o

Only registered members can see post attachments!