Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

tuna posted:

Some pictures from some relaxed testing clearance & rubbing this weekend

This guy was hovering a few feet above us at one point, saying hay. Hey, crazy sky-man!

(one of those loose hills you cant make it up without at least a rear locker)

Where was this? Looks entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

I went out to Coral Canyon OHV park yesterday with a buddy of mine. It was a great day for offroading, and the trails were almost empty!

Was your buddy in the YJ in Anza Borrego earlier this week? I'm pretty sure we ran into them on Coyote Canyon. Great looking YJ.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

Yeah he was, that's funny! He said it was really nice out there but the Canyon was still closed :(

I got a video of yesterday, one of the spots where I was trying something that felt hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoZcx6LWeVw

Small world. It was disappointing to see Coyote Canyon closed at the lower gate but it was still a nice ride out to that point.

It looks like you guys run some cool areas. I'd be interested in tagging along on future runs if the timing is right.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Big K of Justice posted:

Some pics from my last off road trip in Anza Borrego area 2 months ago. I wound up moving to San Francisco bay area and just got around to unpacking my poo poo now.

We went to run Coyote canyon with a bunch of jeeps, hummers and toyotas and showed up the day before the trail was supposed to open :doh:

Not that it mattered its apparently still closed.

I went out there about the same time and realized it was closed. It was disappointing. Good to see you were still able to salvage the trip.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

ThePinion posted:

It was his whole attitude man. Asked me if I needed any help, "oh man that'd be great, thank you so much" and then I get a chuckle and "well t'aint gonna be cheap". Walking stereotype, reason why rural people get a bad name. I'm from Alaska and no one there would ever just leave you stranded somewhere, I had a troller come 30 miles to get me when I lost the lower unit of my outboard on a log and not ask for a drat thing. Not anyone I knew, just some guy who heard me on the VHF. Cleaned some fish on the way back to town and bought him dinner because I knew it was the right thing to do, just like coming to get me was. I've been down in the lower 48 for about a month now and I'm finding that people here don't care about anyone they don't know well already, they've all got this competitive mentality and it sucks.

So on a scale of Beavis to Einstein, how dumb is it to drive a campervan down/across a river? I mean it has big tires and 4wd, I should be fine, right? :haw:

Where was this?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Big K of Justice posted:

I'm redesigning the OEM H1 CTIS manifold into something better and cheaper that could be installed into almost any vehicle. The OEM design is pretty expensive. $1200 for the pump and $1700 for the manafold system which is made up of a miss mash of one off swiss parts, US parts and a combination of dis-similar metals so everything is pretty much seized together preventing repairs.

I'll use as much brass in the manifold as possible, make custom air sensors to drive the air solenoids, and run it through a arduino with a display controlled by rocker switches to control inflate/deflate with automatic and manual controls.
This sounds awesome. I've always wanted a CTIS on my jeep.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

The logs were a little softer than they looked - My buddy pulled me out with his Astrovan :supaburn:

Where is this?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

Sorry, I should've put that info in with the photo. We spent the weekend in Idyllwild, California. We camped on Black Mountain at a really awesome secluded camp site. It was a mile or so up a dirt road, camping was free and there was a fire ring and picnic table. We did a couple of hikes in Idyllwild, and spent a day driving to and hiking at Ladder Canyon / Painted Canyon near Palm Springs.

We didn't really do any jeeping, but I couldn't resist driving over some stacked up logs.

Here is Painted Canyon:

This is from the Deer Springs trail in Idyllwild - I love trails like this. Lots of shade and great views, but persistently uphill so you feel like you got your rear end kicked a little bit.

I like Idyllwild a lot. Everything seems much less crowded then Big Bear. I actually think I've camped at that yellow post you are talking about. Was there any snow up there?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

tuna posted:

Had a really fun day trip to Big Bear where we did Gold Mountain and John Bull.

This looks awesome. I would love to go on a trail run with you guys sometime. I have a reasonably well put together TJ Rubicon that I am not afraid to drag over rocks.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

mattfl posted:

Snatch block too.

I don't know how much good this will do if he isn't using a winch or a rope recovery strap (versus a flat tow strap). I agree with Slow is Fast, I dont care for hooks.

I would make sure I have a sturdy pair of gloves.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Krakkles posted:

Edit: oh, and I'm totally up for a SoCal AI meetup, and I'm seriously contemplating a trip up there soon.

I'd be down for this.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Krakkles posted:

email me @ my username @ gmail and I'll start co-ordinating

Done.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

tuna posted:

Just past BB/Cleghorn is also Johnson valley and Cugar Buttes but I've not been to either.

I've not been to Johnson valley either but have wanted to explore that way. I know it can get crazy difficult out there though.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
One of the things that I don't like about the Savvy front bumper is their insistence on using hooks instead of recovery tabs. They say there were too many bent tabs, so hooks are now the only option on that bumper. When I was looking at aluminum bumpers hooks seemed to be the norm. I don't recall any that had tabs.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

BoostCreep posted:

RE: SoCal 4x4 trip. I'm down. I need to figure out this slider issue first, but let's definitely make a trip happen.

I've tried making a Socal AI thread a few times but it always dies down. Are you all on the SoCal AI Facebook Group?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/socalai/

I've posted on there but there wasn't much response.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I think I can make this too. Should be fun.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Krakkles posted:

I'd be inclined to say invite the friends - personally I like to trust the people I'm wheeling with, so as long as you feel comfortable with them, I'm cool with it. I'd say don't invite the drunk guy who rolls every trip :D

Kastivich brought up communications, and that's an important point. I have a 2m radio and a 2m handheld, and I'll probably pick up a CB handheld since it sounds like BoostCreep and Kastivich already have those. I do think we need a plan, so who has what?

• BoostCreep - CB
  • Kastivich - CB/handheld FRS
  • Krakkles - 2m (x2; one handheld)/CB (handheld)
  • tuna - ?
  • Astonishing Wang - ?
  • TheRoyalNonesuch - ?

I'd personally prefer to use 2m, because the range is FAR superior, but I also realize the investment is probably more. If you're interested in getting into a decent 2m radio for cheap, you want this:

http://smile.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV5R-Dual-Band-Two-Way-Radio/dp/B007H4VT7A/
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BY3XOSW/
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B54F16I/

That setup is what I use as my handheld, and it's a very good performer, especially for the price. Should get you a much better range than CB.

pfffffffffft - you in for 3/14 Cleghorn? If so, what kind of radio you rockin'?

I have a UV5R but I thought you needed a HAM license to use it. For that reason, I've only ever used it for monitoring.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

D C posted:

Baofengs are surprisingly competent radios.

Also I'd love to go along on this trip but I dont want to pinstripe my truck, after watching that video linked earlier theres no way the Lux Cruiser fits down those trails.

Yeah, unless you stick to the forest service road entirely you will definitely pick up some pinstriping. My last trip on Cleghorn had some Power Wagons and they got through without too much permanent damage.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Krakkles posted:

Oddly, even the people with said Kenwoods don't seem to be able to transmit or receive very well, because no one sets their antenna up correctly.

Im guilty of this on my CB. Even purchased the SWR tester but never got around to testing it.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Rontalvos posted:

Another SoCal AI goon checking in here. I'm in Northridge too like one of the other dudes. I've only got a Subaru Outback though so I can do a little exploring but nothing crazy. I'm down to camp and explore, and tag along as long as there's a spare seat for the rough stuff.

I wouldn't necessarily encourage you to do so, but Cleghorn is one of those roads that can be done by a Subaru if you dont mind rubbing front and rear bumpers into the ground. You just end up avoiding the trail offshoots and rejoining the group when they get back to the main trail. This was from a group run of Cleghorn a while back. There were two Subarus that were pretty much identical. This one didnt even have plates yet.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I actually dont think either Subaru got stuck on that run. They had a bit of wheel spin in these off camber situations but the traction control did alright. The big issue, besides approach and departure angles, was the lack of sufficiently low gearing for controlling speed on the downhills. You end up riding the brakes a lot. I have to admit though, it was more fun watching the Subarus and the E350 van than it was watching the built rigs.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I'm getting concerned about my lack of spare u-joints...

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

tuna posted:

And keep them greased! My friend has some QDs and unless theyre greased regularly they can be a huge pain to take out, even on the trailhead on relatively flat ground. Then he ends up with greasy as gently caress hands which gets all over his clothes and Jeep. I'm not sure if it's just his QDs which are bad, but man I would go for an Antirock over manual disconnects any day based on his experience.

This is exactly why I got rid of my disconnects. Grease everywhere after connecting/disconnecting and having to find that perfectly flat spot to reconnect.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

My girlfriend has to pull the link on while I lift the jeep by the rock rail sometimes :(

Yup did that. Did the drive forward two feet, drive forward two feet again thing. Lost one of the linchpins in the desert. This probably sounds a bit whiny but the Antirock is my third favorite mod after the roll cage and OBA.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

They replaced them both times under the warranty, no questions asked. I wouldn't buy the JKS ones again if I was doing it over. They're fine but they're the same basic thing.

How do you like the performace, aside from not having to disconnect it. Do you see the same kind of flex? How's it on the road?

I think it flexes just as well as when it was disconnected. I can run it up the ramp high enough to unseat the front coils so it isn't providing any functional limit to travel. On road it is a little softer than with the sways connected. However shortly after I replaced my first-gen OME Nitrochargers with some 5100s and most of that additional lean was mitigated.

On a related note, I know lots of people love the 5100 but I find them to be pretty harsh. I wish I had just spent the money for something just a bit better.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

jonathan posted:

someone earlier said their sport cage in the JK was one of their top 3 favourite mods. Why ? I mean yeah if you're in a rollover it's the best ever, but why is it so great when not tumbling down a hill ?

That was me, and in regards to a TJ. The peace of mind it gives me was worth the money. Plus mounting options for the dash bar, as mentioned. But mostly it's the security. The A to B pillar connections of the stock cage are pretty terrible.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

tuna posted:

Just FYI there is no A pillar in any Wrangler ever released, just a foldable windshield frame that has a bar screwed onto it for roof functionality. I have a sports cage in my JK and it's really one of the most important upgrades. Do yourself a favor and just get someone to install a Synergy cage or similar.

Yeah, I should have said windshield and B pillar. I have the Synergy cage and it is really nicely done and well thought out. I was debating between Synergy and Poison Spyder. Unfortunately the Poison Spyder flat stanchions are what ruined it for me. I just don't see why I would go next to the dash when it really isnt that hard to run the bar through the dash.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Krakkles getting a bit close to a wall.

More WJ love.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

This thing impressed the heck outta me - definitely a good move getting those sliders put on before the trip! Great driving!

Being at the end of the group I got a good view of the WJ in action. It did really well and reminds me that I don't need to go to 35"+ to do most trails as long as you are sensible about your lines.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Paulie posted:

Recently went on a wheelin day trip at Uwharrie with some other Isuzus, and brought my oldest (who is 6). It's his second time on a ride and although it got gnarly a few times, he was a ...wait for it... trooper :downsrim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5EEG5tP6Hw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG1QzC6Vrs0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zun_c6Va3mY

You'll see in the first couple vids, my front locker wasn't locked. It's an OX and I just needed to adjust the cable a little and it was good to go later. I need deeper gears, less lift, bigger tires, and hydro assist steering and then maybe I'll be happy. But it gets me around ok for now :)

I essentially used the drive down to finish breaking in the engine I just swapped in, a GM iron head 60* 3.4 v6 out of a mid 90's camaro, which took the place of the old original 2.8. A modest increase in power, and with the 5.38's it goes about like stock although it weighs probably 1000lb heavier and pushes a lot more wind. No problems out of it. I am going to see if I can mod the PS pump for a little better steering at idle to tide me over until I can drop $ on having a box tapped and ported for assist.

What size tires are you running here?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

Do you guys buy your giant tires online or what? I need to buy some 31” inch tires, and I’m a cheapskate. I don’t have exact dimensions available until Monday, but I figured I’d get the ball rolling.

I asked Discount Tire to match the delivered price from Tire Rack.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Big K of Justice posted:

I miss the California desert/mountains.

Same. :saddowns:

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
What part of Oregon is that?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

Pacific City, which is one of the few places it seems to be allowed though there’s one or two other places I’ve seen where you’re allowed to park on the beach in a small area but not really drive on it.

Ive not been up there. We used to go out by Florence at the South Jetty. There is quite a bit of beach driving allowed down that way.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Was there a factory rear locker option for the GX?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Do tow/snatch straps have a shelf life? I've had mine maybe five years now and only used then a handful of times. Should they be on a timed replacement schedule?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Ferremit posted:

If they're stored clean and away from UV, not really. UV fucks em up and so does wear.

If its only been used a handful of times and theres no damage and it hasnt been sitting out in the sun for months then it should be fine. We've thrown away straps at work that had never been used but they had been rattling around in a toolbox and were covered in dirt, oil and had big abrasion damage in em, but we've also got 10+ yr old ones that are perfectly good still.

They do have a finite number of recoveries in them tho, especially big hard ones. The guys at ARB told me to measure it when I got it and write the length on the tag sewn onto it (never onto the strap cos the solvents in the texta ink can damage the fibres) and then after a big hard recovery when you get home measure it. Once its grown in length by more than 10% at rest, cut the loops and chuck it cos its done.
This is good info. Thanks!

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I was looking into that Phoenix Automotive replacement but was dissuaded by the amount of work, poor documentation and support, and reports of strange problems post-install. I ended up going with a unit to replace the cassette player while leaving the factory touch screen in place. Having to use the touch screen to adjust AC settings is annoying, but better than having random warning lights pop on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
It was great getting out exploring.

Got a few pics of the long backing up.