Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
How does your Explorer lift address camber? And how hard would swapping that axle in be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

w1ntermute posted:

In addition to this, look for Jeep Wagoneer front axles. Correct width PLUS cheap and decent.

No, don't cut up my precious Wagoneers! They are becoming the new Scout.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I want to make my Explorer look like that.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
83 was the last year for the FSJ Cherokee/Wagoneer. 84 and later was the XJ Cherokee/Wagoneer

The Grand Wagoneer was FSJ from 84-92 and ZJ after that.

Jeep and their God damned names ! :argh:

Salami Surgeon fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 31, 2008

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I think 83 and 84 Seletrac had vacuum disconnect.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Toucan Sam posted:

It's the only Grand Wagoneer axle in my state and i'm pretty sure selectrac is vacuum disconnect. Since i'm using a detroit locker, gears from Randy's ring and pinion, and Ford spindles can't i work around the vacuum disconnect? If not i'm getting my Bronco axle done or ordering one from currie so when i break my current front suspension one of these weekends i can put it in. Basically back to where i was starting, maybe there is a reason all the really built Explorers use this package.

That might work. The vacuum disconnect axles had different length axle shafts (I think), so some lockers do not fit. Gears shouldn't be a problem and spindles wouldn't matter at all.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
The video description says a Power Wagon pulled it out. THAT would be the ideal escape pod.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Is the 258 AMC?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Scouts are pretty cool. I've love to get a truck with stick and a granny gear.
Those earlier Scouts had a wide-ratio tranny and no granny, right?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
4:1 is kinda wimpy for a granny gear. I've always thought of a granny gear as being extremely low. Maybe my jargon is wrong.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
The impact stress of straight cut gears is what makes them weaker, I think. Helical gears have teeth that contact gradually, so the impact stress is distributed more evenly. Low speed applications wouldn't see much impact stress. Straight cut gears also transfer power better, which is what is important for low gears.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
What is the difference between the Explorer and Jeep hubs? I am pretty sure at least the hubs on my Explorer have bit the dust. I'm not going to beat on it, but I'd like to get 4WD working again.

I don't know what else is broken too. It shifts into 4Hi but not 4Lo (at least the 4Hi light comes on, no 4Lo). Would broken automatic hubs prevent me from going into 4Lo? I think my transfer case actuator slipped off.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Yep. Unless the procedure is specifically three steps: neutral, then brake, then 4Lo, which I don't think I've tried.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I got stuck once thinking I had 4WD but it wasn't working properly. 4Hi light on, front wheels have no power. The hubs seemed to be on the verge of death before that, so I don't know if it is the hubs, transfer case, or both.

It puzzles me because the shift motor screwing up is a common problem, but I've never heard of it not shifting to 4Lo. It either works completely or not at all (no 4Hi).

I plan on seeing to the motor when it warms up a little. I need to replace my transmission fluid, so I'll look at that at the same time.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Paulie posted:

waggy d44's

Toucan Sam loves these

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Na, I haven't bought hubs yet. I'm not going to pull anything apart for a while because it is my DD, and I don't want to ride the bus because I am an American. It probably wouldn't take too long to do, but I'm always afraid of running into trouble somewhere that will prevent me from finishing in a timely manner.

Besides, there is no point in changing the hubs until I figure out what the deal with my transfer case is.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Look how dirty I got!

I hopped over a few parking curbs last night in the parking lot. Must have been some real sticky mud because my sad little road tires didn't slip at all.

This is the closest I've been to off road in a long time. I really need to get going sometime.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Haha, I've never seen a Limited that looks like that. What'd you do with your other one?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Are Ramchargers worth saving? This heap is basically mine if I can somehow manage to get it from Montana to Arizona. The only thing I know about it is it ran fine 3 or 4 years ago then was parked as a lawn ornament never to be moved again.

They are as good as any other fullsize and cheap to maintain. "Ran when parked" isn't a death sentence and you can probably get it running again without much hassle.

Worth saving that truck in particular? Look around for other Ramchargers, Blazers, Broncos in your area and figure the cost out.
If you can address any and all problems before your 1500 mile trip is the real kicker.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Solar Coaster posted:

Thing is, I never learned to drive stick, so I'm looking at 4runners with slushboxes. Will this impact where I can go?

Auto vs manual is personal preference. It doesn't really matter either way.
You can get better crawl ratios with a manual, especially when you get into granny gears. Auto low ratios are usually higher but you also have a torque converter stall to alleviate that a bit.

I prefer auto because I don't want to dance on three pedals with two feet going over rocks.

Since you are just starting out it pretty much matters not at all.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Ozmiander posted:

$600 road ready full size jeep. Awesome.

Welcome to the fullsize Jeep club. Early 80s, 360, TF727? What transfer case?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Why are those XJs running different tires front to rear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Do you have automatic hubs and push-button 4WD? The auto hubs tend to strip out and sometimes the electric 4WD motor doesn't work. Check 'em before you go out. It's easy to check the 4WD, not so much the hubs.