Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
with a SBC you'll eat axle parts like candy. lovely rover axles were not designed for that kind of torque. especially suffix B 10 spline poo poo.

early 4hp22s dont have vacuum modulators, just a TV cable. if its a 3 speed TF727 trans, then yes. Otherwise no.

2 heads on the rover v8, 3.5/3.9 V drive, and serpentine drives. They're about the same. if anything, the later ones are actually better.

cheapest quickest option? 4.2 with a cam.

you can go from the 13cu to 14cu(x) in about a day. The flapper setup is a total pile of poo poo.

Gems/Thor crank sensors are in the wrong spot for EDIS/MS applications, iirc its 35* off.
His truck should have a reluctor ring on it with the little beryllium ignition module mounted directly to the dizzy.

Early 40/46 blocks were the best. the Bosch ones I'd avoid for a ground up build. also read into "pinning" the liners.

Edit: Dare to be different.

M52 obd1 in a classic.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Thats great they were able to find the dog and the truck.

A buddy and I took our trucks out last night. Now to spend the next week cleaning up the mess :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
You can set the LandRover LT230 transferbox up for 2wd operation. Its not recommended but its doable.

The V/C in good health works just as well, but finding one that is in good health is a joke all by itself.

The classics and P38s use a Borg-Warner case...makes me wonder how much off the shelf poo poo they used to build them.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Colonel K posted:

only the very late model classics had a borg warner, my classic certainly has a lt230.

ah. Pretty much all NAS spec trucks have em sans the 87 and 88 models. Even if it has the B/W. the Lt230 swaps in really easy.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Got a chance to take the fat lady out for a short run.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
we got the crane stuck trying to get it out.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Took the fat lady just north of town and played in the mountains.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I moved my HD springs to the front and my med duties to the rear as I'm sick of the truck bottoming out on pebbles. I lost some articulation in the front, but atleast it sits level and has good roadmanners up to 80 or so.

Ice/snow driving! Jeez its a lot of fun to throw a 3 ton awd vehicle around on slush.

HDC works pretty well and I have quasi 4 wheel ETC. Just a few more days of playing with the abs controller and it'll be working full force.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I used it the other day on some old mining roads, I was *very* impressed. You might like this. I fitted the D type waabco abs system from the 99-02 P38s into mine. its a muuuuch better system.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
D2s iirc have etc on the rear only. the SLABS controller is totally different, theres like 6 plugs, as it does the self leveling bullshit some of those trucks had. Agreed, its a neat party trick, but if you know what you're doing, theres no real need.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm familiar with GBR. they make good stuff. with a 2", i'd just throw in new neapco joints and call it a day. *mine* is the one that needs the front shaft. its PISSED since I swapped the springs.
Tom woods also builds good driveshafts.
Motronic: He's talking about going to a double cardan shaft vs the single jointed one now.

108" wheelbase helps the highway drivability. if it were a D-90" or a rrc/Disco 100" Nofuckingway. I regularly tow poo poo with it too. *shrug*

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
No need for extended brake lines either. even with mine with the ride height of international space station it still has a little room left.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Shh! It'll hear you! 7,000 miles on the new engine so far.

The bumper on my truck retailed for around 1500 dollars with the added ribbing and such. :v:

want to buy a L322?
bags are getting to be at end of service, and they arent exactly cheap on the front.
Get a REAL trans cooler. I'm hearing these things popping transmissions regularly if you tow with it.
Other than that, the only issues I have logged are little poo poo like blower resistors.
oh, and its canbus and not the bastardized kwp2000 with extra gently caress off data packets in the system.

Geared hub: Nice H1 and LM002.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
bwahahahahaa. Silver soldered fuse box. when it dies. I'm building my own. I keep getting them for under 20 dollars so *shrug*.

HeVac was rebuilt last december. aaand the etc/abs is from the 99-02 models so its less inclined to kill me since it uses steel pistons instead of plastic.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

More photos of my shenanigans later.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Close!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm in vegas but was just out at Johnsonvalley (the hammers) which is about a hour south of barstow. quite an amazing place with trails for EVERYTHING.

Brokenknuckles: you really need to get the shitheap out here. You'll never wanna leave.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've found 4-5 classics recently. I'm so tempted to pick up a second rover.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I can't have nice things. Last weekend reminded me of such. oh well. Out with the old, in with the new.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Theres a ton of stuff near me in vegas. and then theres johnson valley ohv near barstow. thats the home of "the hammers" too.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

bad rear end save.

I have my airbags disabled for this exact reason too.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm with you there. The only rancho poo poo I use is a steering damper, and thats because the factory one is just so freaking terrible and tiny.

Hell. even the bilsteins start fading out if I push it enough. King/Sway A Away will will be the replacement.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm running non resis right now. the fronts fade fairly quick and I was really surprised about it.
lololol TF shocks. Eh they work. They'll be ok for light stuff. Washboard roads with some weight and it'll get interesting.
I forgot about the D1/rrc front ends trying to kill you with weak shocks too. amazing what a shitload of weight does.

I intend to go 2.5s on it. 2.0s will probably do just fine, but I like overkill. I'm getting tired of replacing poo poo.

Speaking of. Out cometh the 4.6 soonish too. In goes a 6.2/6.5TD....so I'll have to wait to buy springs until that 800lb lump is in.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just a bad habit of hauling rear end on dirt/washboard roads.
Supposedly picking up a baja bug this weekend.. gonna toss a little jetta diesel at that too.

Found one of his adapters on flakeslist for 700 bucks, and a 6.5 TD for 800. I can easily pay for it by selling the current engine, 9500 miles so far and not a issue with it. its just thirsty.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Thats how I killed my rear bilsteins. Cargo hold full of camping poo poo at night hauling balls across a lake bed, few ~10" deep ruts took care of the rear shocks good and quick.

I'll be going coilovers on the front and remote resis on the rear with new mounts.

make a frame kastein!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wheelin the bus in Big Bear, CA this weekend.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

My next parts purchase is dislocation cones.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
pretty much half the stuff from the rangie was put on it. 33" KM2s, the 4" springs, and shocks I ordered through a local offroad store.

Gonna do voided polybushes on the front to get it to free up a bit.
Swaybars are also gone.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Nice! I plan to be out there over thanksgiving with a bunch of other rover/jeep buddies that hate their families. :v:

Dry lakebed near the CA/NV border about 2mi from I15

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Furthest south I've gone so far is the hammers. I'd go but I gotta order dislocation cones for the rear first.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

It snowed on Mt Charleston so I decided to go play in it. Stuff was SUPER slick.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
A lot of the electronics in the p38 is full of hate diagnostics wise. every time someone tries to open source a project companies come in and silence the effort. I was able to make it work with a standard multimeter though.

That was my only real complaint after owning 2. oh and they're wide. wiiiiiiiiide. any other rover can do little goat paths. these things were the bull in a china shop.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

few from todays trip near valley of fire. The weather was getting sour quick so I decided to leave before I was caught in any sort of flood.

click for massive
http://imgur.com/jczLg0b
http://imgur.com/4glRzeF

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 8, 2013

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

they are heavy fuckers dont be getting in a hurry.

They can be made to go fast!

all you need is a supercharger or build the engine to hell and back.

lolol I have a owners manual for a RRC, it came with wiring diagrams.

There is a dam in one of the panoramas.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

The only reason I think "well-off" when I see Disco IIs is because I know how much it costs to keep them going. First gen Discos are always ratty, filled with tools and driven by self-employed handymen around here. In my experience P38 and Classic drivers are a mixed bag of Old-Money and normal folks who know how to take care of cars, with the '04+ Rovers being strictly driven by wealthy suburbanites who refuse to do any basic maintenance.

here in tatooine
D1s are gone
D2s are driven by handymen/blue collar, and usually in fuckawful shape
P38s usually have massive wheels and some kind of L322 half baked front conversion.
classics are well kept or scrapyard material.
IFS/IRS rovers are neglected strip crawlers.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

Holy poo poo, it's a real town? :psyduck:

I thought it was just some fake tutorial village Bethesda tossed in, but no, the general store and Pioneer Saloon are seriously real places and are literally right next to each other. That's pretty cool.

Its real. I've been there a dozen or more times mostly passing through. If you go into the mountains near it, there is TONS of old mines and tons of mining era junk just left behind and forgotten. I'd advise against going into some of the shafts though, some are weak, and have rotted bridges.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

quick run south of vegas today

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Krakkles posted:

Inside! Otherwise I would. Do they make clear plastidip?

Also looking for recommendations on good backup lights. I'm probably going to be mounting in the bumper, so I think rectangular is best, and I want bright floodlight style. They'll be switchable, so off-road use only is fine, and I'm looking for something bright enough to see out of limo tint.

Yep! Tons. whats your budget.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just bolted a few free led ones to the rear end of my pile. dead in 5 minutes.

LED: go Cree. I'm gonna do the little 2x2 ones.
Zitrades makes some tiny 1.5w smd reverse lamps, but I find em better suited for interior/rock lamps.
HID: Skies the limit, this is what I use for primary light off road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

"If this van's a-rockin', don't come a-knockin' - seriously, it's probably an IED"

It has been referred to an IED before. :quagmire: