Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anyone have any experience with a late model F-150 with 35s or maybe even 37s?

I finally realized how poo poo my factory tires are when I tried to drive up a mild incline in 4x4 on snow yesterday so now I'm thinking about replacing them soonish rather than in a year or two when they wear out, and I will use that as an excuse to get a lift and I will not tell my wife how much any of it cost, because she was in the truck yesterday and even she is not happy with the current tires.

I don't drive it daily so I don't really give a poo poo about gas mileage but I do care about highway manners because I take it on ~2000 mile roadtrips once or twice a year.

I was kind of planning on a 6" lift with 35s because I actually go offroad (and have dragged the frame a couple times already) but BDS says 37s will fit so now I'm thinking why the gently caress not how much can an extra inch of radius make to highway manners and effective gearing but I'm still worried about highway manners and effective gearing (I have the 3.5EB and 3.55s which at least is the higher of whats available IIRC).

I've researched a lot on f150 forums but a lot of it seems to be kinda pointless because you can't tell the difference between the "I put 35s on without even a leveling kit and they don't rub because my truck has never even been on a gravel road" and people that aren't morons unless you twenty questions all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Paulie posted:

I get jealous of how nice the folks out west have it as well. We have quite a few great trail systems, both public and private, within a days drive of central NC, but much of it is just trails for trails sake or old forest service roads. Not quite the epic vistas of Tahoe/Rubicon, Utah, Colorado, California, Nevada, etc. We get rewarded with a few stunning vistas here and there, but I've always wanted to Go Out West and hit the classics.

Try Iowa. 99.9% of the state is soybeans and hog lots and the rest of it is cities and rivers. And the owners get super fuckin pissed when you try and offroad through their hog lot.

In NV now though so gonna make up for lost time.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'm sure I already posted this in here but I was looking for a different pic and saw it so I'm posting it again. The fact that you can rent poo poo like this in Moab is awesome and if I were rich I would start a foundation that paid for underprivileged automotive enthusiasts to fly to Moab and rent poo poo like this.

e: apparently I hadn't posted it, bonus.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Wow that is awesome, I didn’t realize that you could rent a built off-roader. My travel boner for Moab just went from “go sometime in the future” to “wanna go now!”

Yeah me either. The only wrangler rental I’d ever really heard about is the places in Colorado that rent stock ones and make you sign something that says if you take it on Black Bear they’re allowed to murder your firstborn and confiscate your 401k.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’d always planned on getting a Rubicon and doing some fairly major mods but that rental made me decide that if I want to do serious off roading I should just go to Moab and rent one of these periodically and for the stuff I want to do locally (mostly farting around on old mining roads) I can do it with basically any 4x4 with a mild lift and decent tires.

So I got an F-150 and the lift is getting put on it today.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Drove out towards Crystal Peak outside Reno but turned around once the snow started getting deep. I don't think we would have had a problem but my wife thinks we would have, so... Picture taken near the start of the road, where the snow was obviously not deep.

Never been out here during the winter but its apparently popular for winter off roading, saw two groups of 3-4 vehicles heading up past where we stopped. One group had what looked like a nearly stock 3/4 ton dodge. Other group had one of those things where you look at it and say "did that used to be a Jeep or a Toyota?" so maybe it gets super nasty closer to the peak. I think it does basically get to Donner pass elevation so maybe there's 5' of snow up there.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I feel like this thing makes me want to do stuff in order to get high scores/achievements:

It also made me start googling it and the first thread I found said Raptors are rock solid stable at 30 degrees lateral angle, which I was a bit surprised by. I think the highest someone said they hit was 37 degrees but that's when a tire started coming off the ground.

I don't know for sure but I'd guess I start making GBS threads my pants at 20 degrees. I grew up off roading en route to fly fishing locations with my dad and I always remember any kind of serious lateral tilt scaring the poo poo out of me.

Good advice in situations if you start getting into trouble in that regard that might not always be obvious is: stay off the brakes, turn downhill, and even give it some gas if the situation warrants.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm with you on side hill stuff, especially in spots where you really don't have any way to power out of it if you do start going over.

Yeah that's the way it was in the situations I'm used to. Turning downhill or giving it gas meant you're headed straight to the bottom of a ravine that you will literally never emerge from (one of the places we went regularly had a 70s Jeep at the bottom of it for eternity) but tbh it's probably still better to "drive" straight down to the bottom of the ravine then to roll all the way to the bottom.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I went to visit my mom in Oregon which means driving on beaches while she shrieks about how I’m gonna get stuck (I did not).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pacific City, which is one of the few places it seems to be allowed though there’s one or two other places I’ve seen where you’re allowed to park on the beach in a small area but not really drive on it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought one of these things to use with a high lift but I’ve never used it. Has good reviews though. Also have the stuff needed to use the high lift as a come along. Other than that my recover kit sounds just like yours.

https://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-LM100-Jack-LM-100-Lift-Mate/dp/B00042KGWG

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought an 08 FJ with the offroad package in 2007. I think I paid 28 grand. Had it for five years and got 24,500 for trade in IIRC. Had real low miles on it tbf.

Wanted to keep it but I moved and took a job with a massive commute and I didn't want to put a million miles on it.

e: here she is right after I moved to AK

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 24, 2019

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I only have the 375 horse/470 lb-ft version of the 3.5 but I've been perfectly happy with it for 25,000 miles, even now that it's turning 35s instead of the factory tires.

It sounds like poo poo (to people outside) but sounds good (to people inside) due to the miracle of technology. Plenty of hp and torque. Tuneable. Doesn't lose hp at altitude as bad as an NA motor. Decent gas mileage for what it is.

In 25,000 miles I think I've been caught once where it didn't respond like I hoped it would, going from brake to throttle rapidly and unexpectedly. 99.9% of the time the thing just pulls effortlessly and doesn't feel like a relatively small turbo motor to me.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

All current gen F-150s above a certain trim have full time 4x4 and I think the previous gen is the same. Either XLT is the first one that has it, or the last one that doesn't have it, I can't remember which. But the ones that have it will have 2WD, Auto 4WD, 4WD, and 4WD Low settings. I assume it's the same as the system used in the Raptor (other than a Torson on the front diff is available on the Raptor) but I don't know for sure.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tremek posted:

My ‘19 Raptor is not full time:

The 4A setting has an interesting wet clutch setup that will function as AWD but you can of course also run it in 2 High which of course I do all the time.

I didn’t have a 1st gen Raptor but honestly I would be surprised if they were full time AWD, are you sure?

I mean has a full time setting ie the 4A

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There were two different engines possible in 1st gen Raptors but they are both NA V8s. 5.4 and 6.2.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SyHopeful posted:

Juneau? Looks like Douglas in the background.

Yep yep

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

I went to visit my mom in Oregon which means driving on beaches while she shrieks about how I’m gonna get stuck (I did not).

RIP my beautiful F-150.

The worst thing about it besides the injuries I sustained in the accident is that the only things I’d be happy replacing it with are not out yet (Bronco or 2021 Raptor)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Thanks, I'll make it. Spite alone will sustain me at least until the lawsuit is over.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Krakkles posted:

massively overweight pieces of poo poo

Please stop calling me this

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

RIP my beautiful F-150.

The worst thing about it besides the injuries I sustained in the accident is that the only things I’d be happy replacing it with are not out yet (Bronco or 2021 Raptor)

I’m back, bitches

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pretty happy so far. Glad I went with the manual and there was no chance I wasn't going to get 2 door & sasquatch package.

Took it to some rocky desert "roads" near my house and the crawl gear in high range was perfect for them, 1st in high was a little too bouncy over the rocks. And crawl in low is pretty nice. Slow enough. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if it was even a little lower though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anyone done Black Bear or Imogen Pass?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

FogHelmut posted:

After test driving a Wrangler Unlimited, I can get past the vague steering, but I'm genuinely surprised at how cramped it felt inside. TBH, the back seat felt roomier than the driver seat.

Yeah, they’re bad. I’m 6’5” and I fit in a Wrangler but just barely and it’s not particular comfortable. Bronco is great though. FJ Cruiser was also great.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The guy that owns the car wash that has to clean the mud and rocks out of his filtration system probably disagrees about the best place to clean up after off roading.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Safety Dance posted:

Yes I too would love it if I owned a money-printing machine and my job was both easy and done for me.

I work sixty hours a week running my car wash in order to gross about 75k a year in income and if someone comes through and hoses off a bunch of mud and rocks it means I have to spend two extra hours shoveling out the traps and don’t get to see my kids that night.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Well I might have made all that up but it could be true for someone who knows?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’ve seen people say (I think in AI actually) it’s a lovely thing to do but I just googled it and found a car wash owner forum and it seemed like there were more “eh it’s the cost of doing business” than “it really sucks poo poo” so I’ve actually had my mind changed about it now and I would now say it seems okay as long as there aren’t signs posted against it and it isn’t so bad that it’s gonna ruin the bay for the next person.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Safety Dance posted:

This was a wild ride, thank you BWAD

Lol I was afraid you might be mad sorry if I made you feel bad for a second just me being an rear end in a top hat :cheers:

Steve French posted:

Dang I was about to ask since I think I recall seeing that you were in the reno or carson city area if you could accommodate my truck camper and now your made up car wash has lost my business

Lmao

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

fuckin lmao at the av :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Clear lake Colorado. Sort of in between babby’s first Jeep trail and just a really lovely road.

Split screen side cams make tire placement on narrow trails pretty easy: