Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

BigKOfJustice posted:

What kind of GPS's do you guys run? I'm trying to narrow down a selection, I'm looking at Garmin and Lowrance. The street pilot stuff and the chart ploter/commercial versions of the units with topographical maps.

Trying to figure out what to get for the truck next, besides a light bar ( I can't safely do night runs with stock lights ) and a HAM/UHF/VHF radio unit.

I need something that can do both streets and topographical data.

I use a Garmin 60csx which is a trail unit loaded with street and topo maps. I've got a cradle on my bike and switch between 24K scale topo maps and the street maps when I move off onto rough roads. Garmin's topo data is rather precise but you do have to deal with mapsource to get it into the unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Can 1X2s play too?

While it lacks doors, a roof, roll bars, seat belts, and 2 other wheels it's been a fun thing to use to climb over CO mountains or cross mexico.

It's a 2003 BMW F650GS Dakar with 2 additional forward fuel tanks (grey blobs) which gravity feed into the under seat tank. Ohlins rear suspension, progressive front springs, with a touratech rack/cases on the back and a mounting plate for a pelican 1550 case.

I'm looking forward to hitting up the White Rim Trail this spring and doing the arctic ocean from August - Sept.

PS: I like 4x4 drivers because they help me pick it up in the middle of no where.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Hypnolobster posted:

That's absolutely beautiful.

How often do you get to go adventuring?
Thanks!
I live in CO so after the snow melts in late May I can get up into the mountains as much as I please, around April I start getting pretty stir crazy and head out to Moab or other areas. I try to schedule at least one large trip per year. 2007 was Mexico, 2006 was all around north west USA, and the year before was out to the MotoGP in Laguna Seca.

This year Skier and I are looking at a 30 day, 12,700 mile trip up to Deadhorse, Alaska in Purdhoe Bay on the arctic sea. We're looking to run the Dempster highway, the Dawson highway, Denali highway and see places like Homer, Seward, Haines, Kenai Fjords and spend 4 days kayaking in glacier bay while doing backcountry camping. I'm hoping to hit the black rock desert on the way back and if my chain has any life left in it taking a possible second stab at Death Valley.

I wrote up a trip report a couple of months ago about the mexico trip if you're interested at all. I'll warn you though it's really long and very rambling: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2691717

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Dividend Special posted:

There's nothing to see in Seward other than a lot of crackheads and dirty crackwhores. Seriously. Homer is the same way except every other households grows and sell marijuana.

Go enjoy the night life in Anchorage instead.

I've always preferred the company of hippies and lose women to that of night club owners and expensive drinks. I think I'll take my chances with the smaller towns.

Thanks for the input though.

quote:

Of course you can play. Your bike is what I plan to have some day. I'm hoping that the release of the new bmw will drive the f650 price down some. If not I may just get a KlR650 and ride that.

And speaking of helping motorcyclists. I had a friend call me and ask me to bring a tow strap out to him. Well when I show up he isn't stuck and their is a guy in motorcycle gear sitting in my friends truck. He tried to cross a river, fell over and the bike washed a ways down stream. So we had to attach the strap to the truck and then I floated down stream and hooked it on the bike. We finally got it out and my friend drove him home.

One thing to keep in mind if you do go the BMW route is that the parts are expensive. It's a great bike though and one that could easily be a do-it-all bike. 800 mile days are not much of a concern on it, and I've seen many people far more skilled than myself launch the 650 up some crazy stuff.

I can't even count how many times 4X4 drivers have helped me out in a pinch. Aside from a few people in rentals they've all been incredibly nice when you meet them on the trail. If any of you are comming out to CO anytime to explore all the amazing roads drop me a PM, I'd be happy to show you a few maps or tag along for a day or two.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Atticus_1354 posted:

I may take you up on that soon. I am going to be taking a extended trip soon and may be seeing family up in Greeley.

Awesome! PM me when you know what dates you're thinking of being here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Not much exciting about these roads but StressPill and I were riding around on Memorial day, so I practiced 1 handed, dirt road riding photography. It was pretty fun: