Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I've had a few trucks but i had never done anything but full size so i decided to find something different. I've never really been into Jeeps even though they are pretty much the benchmark in offroad capability out of the box. Instead i bought a $300 Explorer XLT. I pretty much drive it all the time right now but in the next couple months it won't be road legal due to bumper height so it will be a part time driver.

Right now it has 32x11.50 tires and a 3" body lift. I still buried it to the rockers in my field a couple weeks ago.

The next day

My buddies truck, which got me out. I swear to god this truck is impossible to get to stuck without trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

InitialDave posted:

Repeat after me: "I will not try to cross two foot deep slurry on road tyres"

I've been there, stock 2000 S10 Blazer. It always looks like a good idea until all 4 tires are in it. It did have good BFG A/T tires but lack of lockers really screwed the attempt. It was a cast iron bitch to get back out.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

ACEofsnett posted:

This is a fun truck, but desperately needs the (rare) solid axle in the front.

I have a choice right now because i have a four inch suspension lift sitting in my garage made for my Explorer. It will fit the 35's i have sitting beside them but i also have a complete '78 Bronco front suspension sitting there also. I have a local shop that is ready to narrow it a few(several)inches. I will need to buy 4:56 gears for the front either way since i already own them for the rear. I will also need to order a new locker since i don't have one for a Bronco but it is pretty cheap.

BlackMK4 posted:

This is why you get sliders..... and mine are finally coming this week from a local club group buy that we started in SEPTEMBER.

Why not build your own, or have a local welder/fab shop build you a set? They would have been done in a couple days, cheaper, and built exactly the way you wanted them.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Adjustable camber bushings are cheap as hell, even Summit carries them. I use a local shop and after the 4" lift my alignment including camber is less than $100. Solid axle wise, once the 6" width reduction is done to it it's not bad. Superlift 5.5" springs and the rest of the Bronco suspension makes it pretty cheap.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
There are actually quite a few off road Explorers around, plus us explorer guys can use a lot of jeep suspension stuff. Here's what my Explorer aspires to be.

Quick vid of it in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsWC8_RHOf0

Toucan Sam fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 31, 2008

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Those lock outs are on a full size '78 Bronco Dana 44 from curry enterprises. It's actually set up for a Jeep but it works fine in an Explorer. They're just full size Ford lock outs from what i remember. Instead of ordering from curry i'm having mine done locally.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Here is what the front end has. This is pretty much my current build sheet also.

1978 Ford Bronco Dana 44, narrowed 6" by Currie Ent.
4.56:1 gears Detroit TrueTrac L/S
Passenger side Yukon Chromo shafts
Wild Horses 5.5" rock crawler springs
Rubicon Express RXT3210 14" travel shocks
Energy Suspensions bushing kit (7* c-wedges)
Early Bronco radius arms. Passenger side wristed
Sky Jacker extended radius arm / transmission crossmember mount
Explorer Pro Comp extended brake lines
1978 Full size disc brakes

Here's a better idea of the size, it rides on 36/12.50 TSL SXs.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Wagoneer axles are drat near impossible to find around here. I probably haven't even seen a Wagoneer in the wild in ten years. I have a local fabrication shop that is willing to narrow the Dana 44 i already have. The main reason i was going to use the Bronco axle is because it was a free takeoff from a Bronco i scrapped.

I would really prefer an axle that i could just put under it. I don't want a Dana 30 and finding a 44 in my area with the right track width is loving killing me. I have a buddy that wants my current 44 so maybe i'll just sell it to him and put my Rough Country 4" Suspension lift on with my current front axle until i start breaking poo poo regularly. Then i'll source my front and do my soa on the rear.

I actually have everything to fit my 35's except front gears and front locker.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Yep, but i just got lucky i think. I just found a 86 Cherokee 4:10 axle without vacuum disconnect about 2 blocks from my work. I wanted a 4:56 to make it cheaper but i guess i got lucky in searching the 4:10. It's listed under Wagoneer which is what they were called in the '80's i think, not a Jeep guy. There are only two listed in the whole state.

Too many people list the Grand Wagoneer as a Wagoneer so that makes finding an axle even harder. Every one before this one ended up being a Grand Wagoneer axle when i went to check it out. Now as long as it's a Dana 44 i am back in business cheaper than i was before you made me search again. It better be a Dana 44, it's a decent price also. I can sell my Bronco axle for $200 and buy this one for the same price.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
That explains why every one of them i looked at was the wrong size. I've looked at three of them so far and they were all Dana 30's. Not being a Jeep guy i have no idea what years i need to be looking at. Being a Ford guy Jeep stuff might as well be swahili. That's why i thought the big cushy station wagon would have Dana 30's and the more rugged small one would have big axles since you would be more likely to off road it.

EDIT - Found an 84 2:73 with selectrac but since i'm going to use ford spindles that's no biggie. I needed to buy gears anyways. It is the only one in my state so it's not like i have a choice.

Toucan Sam fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 31, 2008

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Advent Horizon posted:

Since I don't think there were any XJs with gears that high, I'd say that '84 would be good.

Just need to make sure it doesn't have the vacuum disconnect.

It's the only Grand Wagoneer axle in my state and i'm pretty sure selectrac is vacuum disconnect. Since i'm using a detroit locker, gears from Randy's ring and pinion, and Ford spindles can't i work around the vacuum disconnect? If not i'm getting my Bronco axle done or ordering one from currie so when i break my current front suspension one of these weekends i can put it in. Basically back to where i was starting, maybe there is a reason all the really built Explorers use this package.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

BigKOfJustice posted:

drat right. As time passes the value on most of the trucks will drop to the point where normal people who will use these trucks as intended rather then people buying them for a status symbol.

My buddy has an H1 Alpha. I have replaced three out of four doors and a hood since he bought it. It's an off road beast and he isn't afraid of some body damage to get where he wants to go off road. THe only time i ever saw it clean was the day it was delivered.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

-luke- posted:

Are you sure the Ford spindles will mount on the Waggy outer knuckles? I know the Waggy knuckles use the same spindle bolt pattern at Chevy stuff, but I vaguely recall Ford spindles using a different bolt circle or maybe a different diameter for the hole in the knuckle that the axle shaft passes through.

Regardless, it sounds like you can just use the Waggy/Chevy spindle and throw your Ford hub and rotor on it.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/SolidAxleSwap.html

Thanks man, i'm going to check the cost rundown and see which way i should go.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
gently caress it, i'm just going to install my current suspension lift and gears. My IFS axle is plenty strong for the places i go considering they shut down Wellsville. I can fit my 35s and have some fun.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Ferremit posted:

Ive never heard the words "IFS" and "Strong" used in the same sentance before!

Over here, the toyota Landcruisers' with IFS are renowned for blowing up differentials on the front end if you do something as silly as reverse up a hill.

The front axle is actually pretty decent in the 91-94 Explorer. They went to the lovely cv axles in 95. The 91-94 still uses the Ranger setup.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Those sure are some pretty sliders, too bad real sliders aren't pretty. I can see some serious damage coming from trusting those.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

BlackMK4 posted:

How so? Because the rub rail is 'thin tube'?

I doubt I'll ever wheel this thing hard enough to bend the poo poo I've got; it's my only transportation so I can't really go out and run difficult trails every week or I'd end up walking to work.

Exactly, pretty boy poo poo won't get you home. You're better off tearing your poo poo up without appearance stuff tearing even more stuff up.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

murphle posted:

Obviously Forum Veteran = Off-Road God, don't you know that?

If 2x.120 isn't good enough, maybe I should be worried about the 1.5x.120 sliders we built for my brother's truck? They must qualify under Toucan Sam's "pretty boy poo poo" definition.

Oh wait, I forgot, it holds up just fine under normal usage.

A few years down the road they might get torn up enough to need replacing, but going any stouter on a wear item like rock sliders is probably just wasted weight.

Those look really good in those pictures, first pictures sucked. The first pictures didn't show the bracing, that's the part that had me concerned. Now that i see they are cross braced those are awesome. Sorry to jump on you but the original pics made them look like they had no bracing so they would bend directly into the body on a drop.

I really like them overall and am thinking of building a similar set for my Ex. Once again, sorry for assuming the worst, those new pics show what a i missed in the first set. I would still be cautious since those cross braces could hook a rock and hem you in but that would be a rare occurrence.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Since i got quoted with pictures i figured they were the same type/build of sliders. I prefer flat heavy sliders under the rockers, thats all you actually need. If those are totally different slider builds, gently caress'em.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I like'em after seeing the new pictures. They give slide protection which is something most overlook.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

DELETED posted:

In other news, I just recieved a manual hub conversion kit and a set of Warn locking hubs for my '94 explorer. It's pretty much stock with nearly 200,000 miles, but the crappy automatic hubs broke ages ago. I'm hoping to get those installed this weekend and restore it's status as a 4wd. The stock atuo hubs are supposed to engage when the t-case engages the front drive gears, but somehow Warn and Ford didn't quite look all the way into their plan and used a nylon cam system. They don't really hold up to much abuse at all, in fact it seems that simply using them as directed for normal winter driving causes them to fail. The new Warn stuff is made out of metal and looks like it should stand up to a little fun.

Did you get the Explorer hubs or the stronger Jeep hubs? I ordered the Jeep hubs when i got mine, still haven't put them on though.

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/May04/offroad.htm

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Are you following the 4lo procedure? Truck in neutral, foot on the brake, then hit the 4lo button?

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
If it goes into 4hi just fine and powers the front wheels then i would say you have a problem with the shift motor. If you can put it on jackstands and have someone put it into 4lo following the proper procedure and smack the shift motor with a hammer a couple times it should free it up.

I did my buddies truck just sitting on the ground in neutral but jack stands would be much safer in the getting run over department.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
We decided to take my old Tracker and and budget lift it for Wellsville. I had a 3" calmini suspension lift but i sold it to a friend so we're going with 2" homemade suspension and 3" homemade body lift. I'm gonna stuff 31's under it some tube bumpers and hack off anything in the way of the tires. It's not gonna be a road driver so losing anything not needed just to clear the tires isn't a problem.

Old picture from '05

I was going to scrap it but honestly it runs and drives good so might as well turn it into a trail truck since it was basically free anyways.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
My old Samurai is still in my buddies barn. I was thinking about pulling the axles and suspension but it depends on how much work we feel like doing.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
A buddy of mine is a welder by trade so he's just going to weld the rear end for me. I can weld pretty good but it's not my profession and he gets paid a lot of money to do it so i trust his welds more than mine. This is an exercise in cheapness with a basically free truck.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Toucan Sam loves these

LOL, the single one i found in my state is not going in a Tracker. Did you get your hubs on yet? Let me know how they turn out.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I just ordered this.

It's the Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch and if my Aussie locker ever comes back in stock for my rear 8.8 it's next on my list. I will have my new front bumper welded up and mounted the 22nd and i'm hoping to have my locker by then also.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I ordered from http://www.4wheelparts.com/ and paid 317 with tax. Free shipping so it wasn't worth my gas to drive up and pick it up. It's a rebranded mile marker so it's a tough winch. A couple of my friend have them and they swear by it. I'll get some pics and a trip report after the 22nd when my bumper goes on. My bumper is getting welded on and built to the frame along with the crumple zones in the front of the frame plated over to make sure the horns don't go anywhere.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Nice bronco, i'm looking to buy another one myself to use as a dedicated mud truck. It's too big to take most trails i go to but it would be great for running mud.

I got the bumper and winch on my Exploder over the weekend, already used it a few times doing stupid poo poo that i wouldn't have done if i didn't have a stinger and winch. There's a 4wheeler hill that i always wanted to go down but i couldn't get up it due to the angle. Now that i have my bumper i can get up and down it. Down is still real scary but i'm not as scared of flipping straight over on my roof.

Here are the pics from when it was finished, the builder took these in his garage. I'll have to get some of my own in the next couple days.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I got some outdoor/trail shots of my bumper/winch earlier this week. I have since painted it to keep the rust at bay.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Advent Horizon posted:

Is it possible to trim that little lip of steel out from under the fenders/headlights? I think it would look a whole lot better with that missing.

Yeah, it actually just unbolts. I'm thinking about pulling it off before the next time we go out in the woods.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I always said i wouldn't get rid of my '93 XLT unless i bought a '91-94 Limited in white. I bought a '94 Limited with minor rust, my '93 photographs nicely because of the color. My '93 has no rockers and a decent amount of rust forming on the wheel well lips. When i say no rockers i mean nothing all the way into where the door closes and the doglegs are gone down low. It's a part time driver and trail truck so i didn't really care since it runs so well.

I wanted a fully loaded Limited because it was the old man Explorer and no one took them off road due to the purchase price. The one i bought has a verified 81,000 miles that was used as a winter truck by some old guy who owned it since new. The rust looks worse since it's white but it will be much cheaper to make brand new in appearance. I can't wait to get it done and cover it in mud. Here's a picture of it now, then add all the stuff on my '93 and you'll see it mid completion.

Full completion will see it on 35s with 7"s of lift.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
That's awesome, it looks like the tree is growing out of it like some art students ill designed flowerpot.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

meltie posted:

I've started picking up recovery kit - got a hilift today, apparently you can use them as an emergency winch too, which should do me on the lanes.

I highly recommend this right here for your Hi-Lift.

http://www.bbpfab.com/newsite/jackbase.htm

It was reviewed in the June 2008 issue of Peretsen's 4wheel & Off-road. Plus the guys a buddy of mine who built my bumper.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

meltie posted:

That looks quite nifty, do they have a UK distributor? :)

If you pay for shipping i'm sure he'll mail it right out to you.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
We buried the Ford a couple weeks ago, first time stuck in four years. It was similar to yours since he drove into a pretty bottomless hole that looked semi solid. I ended up pulling it out with my dually because the axles bottomed out and the mud was over the top of the 38s.

During

After

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
A buddy of mine just hit a deer with his Ranger and he offered the two month old 6" Superlift to me for $150. The problem is i don't need the 6", i only wanted a 4" but $150 for a $1500 lift is looking to good to pass up. The smaller lift is around $850 to my door so i may bite the bullet and go big, it is mainly a mud truck anyways so the bigger the better i guess.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Same here man, i can watch off road roll over videos all night long on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

That was great, looked like it was soft enough not to do too much damage.

I've been pretty lucky but i drat near rolled my gray Explorer a few weeks ago. I was drinking at a buddies house who has about 100 acres to play in. He wanted to go out in my truck so we took off in the dark through the back yard heading for trees. Everything was going well until he took me down a big hill which needed an immediate left turn into a stream bed. He tells me to turn left and as soon it gets light turn to the right and lay it on the floor.

It didn't actually go that smooth though. I ended up with the right front and the left rear on the ground. There was an easy 3 feet of air under the other two tires. The slightest move inside the truck would make it teeter back and forth. I hate the teeter totter thing so i'm sweating balls and adding up the cost of repairs for when it flops.

My buddy gives me a game plan which was better than anything i could come up with at 1am. His plan is to lay it on the floor to the right and just before i hit the tree a couple feet ahead cut it left and hold it to the floor until all four tires hit the ground. It's either going to work or we're going to do some high speed body damage. It did work, scared the poo poo out of both of us. I then proceeded to catch a washout on the way up this giant loving hill in the dark but staying on the gas got us out with little drama.

That's the closest i have come to rolling over in a long time but it was still a blast.