Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

FogHelmut posted:

I've read that too, but the 5160s I got for the rear did come with them. I guess they're more in the danger zone?

I believe the 5100s for the front also come with boots.

I guess if it needed them, Bilstein would include it.

Weird, I just put 6112s and 5160s on and neither came with boots. Maybe it makes more sense since the shaft is positioned on the bottom when installed so any water wouldn't be pooling on top of the seal. Still doesn't explain why I didn't get boots with the rear though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Maybe it depends on the application? These are for a Chevy Colorado.

Could be, mine are on a 3rd gen Tacoma but I don't think I told them that when I ordered. They seem great so far, hope you enjoy em!

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

I've liked my set of Falken Wildpeak at3w. Inexpensive, lighter weight, good traction in snow. Haven't managed to put a hole in em yet... Not sure about the tread life though. Also I think the tire guys might have had trouble balancing them but it might have just been a crappy shop.

Edit: My kevlar wranglers that came on the truck took a rock straight through the tread on just a normal forest road, couldn't trust those tires.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Anecdotally, all the Dodges I've driven working for the government have been dogshit... Fords less so. None were diesels though.

Also judging by flags and bumper stickers, Dodge Rams are the unofficial truck of racist, gun worshipping shitheads.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Your truck is heavy, you'll sink through snow regardless of airing down. Bring a shovel. Hell even atvs sink through snow pretty easily.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

I've been running the falken wildpeak at3s in western Oregon for 3 years or so now and they don't worry me one bit on our frequently wet roads.

Only problems I've noticed were the tire shop had trouble balancing them and they might be wearing a little fast. I figure the cheap price I got em for makes up for a little premature wear though.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

wesleywillis posted:

I double checked the size on the sidewall. 265 65 17, same as stock. Checked the tire pressures, might actually be a bit high at 34 psi. I think stock might be 29? Or maybe thats the older Tundras that we have at work and I'm confusing the two, but the tire pressures were taken after sitting all day, not much sun, not particularly hot.
Like I said, I think the tread lugs that come up the side wall are the culprits, as they stick out a bit, but I don't know what it was like with the factory tires, never paid attention.

I'll see if that can be done. Thanks.

34 should be about right. I've got at3s on my 2016 tacoma offroad and never noticed any rubbing. Might have even gone up a size on the tires but I know the sports have a taller wheel to start with.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

265/70R17 or 255/75R17 ?

EDIT- Costco has a deal on the BFG Trail Terrain. I don't see a ton of reviews on these but BFG says they outperform the Cooper in many areas.

Ymmv but Costco will supposedly often refuse to mount tires that aren't the original size.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

On the subject of pulling someone out of the mud, up a hill or whatever.
Most videos that I see show the pulling vehicle pulling forward (line attached to the rear of tow vehicle) and hardly ever pulling in reverse.

Is there a reason (safety?) for that? I'd figure that in most situations, unless you need speed for snatching maybe, pulling in reverse would be better for the puller as reverse is a lower gear and would make things easier for the engine/drivetrain of the tow vehicle.

Once again sorry for the dumb questions, just trying to learn poo poo.

I don't have an answer but it sure feels like reverse is a higher gear than first in my manual 16 tacoma. It's really obnoxious trying to back up hills. Probably answer is just wanting to be able to see where your headed

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

I was amazed how bad our 4 door wrangler rubicon at the BLM handled washboard roads. It was just skating around and felt super dangerous. I'm sure it's great for low speed technical poo poo but for just getting to where you want to go it was not fun. Really have to pay attention on curvy mountain roads too, they like to wander.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Maybe there was something wrong with the particular wrangler I drove, but it was relatively new and shouldn't have had any issues. I used to drive XJs, currently drive a tacoma, and an ranger for work, along with occasionally driving an f150 or random dodge. Washboard sucks in everything but the wrangler was a whole another level, just felt way harder to predict where it was gonna go if you were doing any kinda speed.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

+1 for the wildpeak at3w, though i think the tire guys had some trouble balancing them. They've been good for me.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

I drive a 2020(?) ranger fx4 crew cab for work with the blm and i like it quite a bit. I've got a few minor quibbles with it but overall it's been great. The backseat is small for sure but it's workable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Only clean cars allowed in the car wash.