Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
My Cherokee at Uwharrie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

w1ntermute posted:

In addition to this, look for Jeep Wagoneer front axles. Correct width PLUS cheap and decent.

The housings are a LOT stronger than Yota axle housings too :ssh:

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

323LX posted:

I'm open/open right now, hoping to change that in the not too distant future as well.

Just weld up your rear axle, it's very very very worth it.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

HR posted:

I hope this is a joke. That looks like a dd to me.

Unless three wheel cornering is your style.

I DD my Cherokee with a welded rear, it's fine if you know how to drive with it.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

HR posted:

So what's the worst problem that you've encountered with that kind of modification? Exploding rear diffs?

My back tires chirp a bit in parking lots and it hops a little bit during slow, tight turns like backing out of a parking spot, but that might just be my worn out shocks. If you do it right it should be just as strong as a spool, just a lot cheaper. It's not like Dana 44 carriers are rare or anything, if I break it on the trail, that gives me a better reason to go up to 3/4 or 1 ton axles.

Atticus_1354 posted:

What are the specs on your cherokee now? Yours was the one that pushed me to get a cherokee over something else.

I used to have an 89 Cherokee 4.0 auto but now I'm driving a 91 5 speed 4.0, mods are a Rusty's 3" full leaf lift, Rubicon Express superflex control arms, homebuilt front bumper and swaybar disconnects, tow hook brackets and hooks, a non-disconnect D30 and welded Dana 44 from my Automatic XJ (which are geared lower than the 5 speed axles) and lovely 31" Pro-comp All Terrains.

I've got shackles and coil spacers to bump me up another inch, and I'm probably going to cut the fenders and take off the flares next week because I have some 33" Interco Trxus M/T's coming. I'm also about to buy some 2x2 square tube and make some rock sliders and a transmission cross member when I get the money, then my jeep's gonna be straight illin'.

Jack_Handey fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 10, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Buy an old Suzuki Samurai front axle and leaf springs and put it under that Tracker.