Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Haven't really done any offroading to speak of myself, but living up in the Sierras now and definitely interested in doing more of it.

My little baby adventure this week: getting a Christmas tree out of the designated cutting area in the national forest. This is after about 50" of snow in two weeks and about twice that a bit higher. Fortunately a few others had gone up the forest road before us.

I'd love some advice on how to get my feet wet with more mild offroading without being an idiot or getting in over my head, for when the snow melts back next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I've been getting out every weekend or so with the family, exploring the local forest roads. I should get more photos, and gradually getting more comfortable on rougher terrain.

A few weeks back, we went for a hike with the kids, and the trailhead was at the end of a fairly rough 5 mile road; there was a larger parking area a half mile or so from the trailhead, and then a rougher stretch to a smaller parking area right at the trailhead. We didn't realize the last section existed, so we didn't drive it, but some interesting cars did.

On our way back, here's someone struggling to get back up the hill (it was probably 15% grade or more)

We were at our truck loading back up for at least 5 minutes or so; didn't see them make it up the hill in that time.

Parked at the bottom was this:

I certainly thought it was bold of them to take it down the hill; very interested in what it was like trying to get it back up.

More recently, we went out to some of the reservoirs and lakes on the sierra crest, most interesting part of the drive was around/along Bowman Lake:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

highme posted:

I saw that first pic and was confused because I remember you posting pics of your truck in the ski thread.

Ah yes, I suppose silly of me not to include any photos of the truck. Don't have any from either of those trips, but here's one from February when I got it stuck for a little while in some snow

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm assuming this is the Bowman Lake near Tahoe, not the one in Montana?

Yeah, that's right. North of I 80 along the crest. We came from the northeast from Jackson Meadows reservoir

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

For actively driving on snowy roads I wouldn’t air down preemptively. But if you do end up in a situation where you’re stuck, I think airing down then can help and I can’t picture it hurting.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm glad to hear the answer for snow is usually "don't air down" because I'm lazy and that sounds like effort.

Just visiting family in Tahoe so whatever conditions one might encounter up there but wasn't planning on offroading in the snow. I know it's been crazy up there and my dad was saying it was going to be a bit of a journey to get to a friend's house a few miles away, but he's not a car guy nor a driving guy so I couldn't get out of him whether he has proper snow tires on his Subaru or not. My assumption is no which may explain some of the issues getting around.

If you're visiting family in Tahoe, in a GX, with snow tires (or even all-terrains or all-seasons), driving on pavement, you'll be almost certainly fine, unless it happens to be in the middle of another historic snowstorm, in which case you'll still probably be fine if you have chains. I drive around here without concerns in a 4x4 F150 with KO2s, and an RS4 with blizzaks.

I did have to use 4 low and lockers yesterday when we got to a trailhead at a deadend on a steep hill that had no available parking spaces and we had to dig one out for ourselves though.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Yesterday I volunteered to help with logistics for a running race on a local ski hill, and ended up shuttling people up and down the mountain on private roads I've always wanted to drive on.

Unfortunately lingering snow prevented me from going all the way up to the summit in the background, which I'm sure the folks I was driving up would have appreciated.

There was also an active construction project going, putting in a new lift, so I had to deal with the possibility of running into this guy head on, but fortunately only ended up stuck behind him.

Nothing terribly challenging driving wise, but for sure parts of it were a lot steeper and narrower feeling to drive on with some rockier bits than I had remembered from hiking there in the summer in years past.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

The Truckee CHP Instagram account is good content

https://instagram.com/chp_truckee?igshid=NTdlMDg3MTY=

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Dang I was about to ask since I think I recall seeing that you were in the reno or carson city area if you could accommodate my truck camper and now your made up car wash has lost my business

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Maybe a long shot, but:

Does anyone have experience with or knowledge of Solo Motorsports or Desolate Motorsports? Specifically looking at their respective “stage 2” 4 inch lift suspension kits for our 93 bronco, keeping the twin traction beam setup. It’s got a 4” lift on it now but it was put on 20 years ago and it was a low end procomp kit then and hasn’t been touched since. We recently reacquired the truck and want to get it in good running order. We have plenty of vehicles so not aiming to compromise between daily driving and off road. We’re also not gonna be rock crawling with it, or probably doing anything rowdy enough to justify a bigger lift. Looking at one of the setups with fox shocks, either one or two up front, debating whether plating/reinforcement of the beams is necessary. Local shop suggested if we were to size up from 33” to 35” tires that they’d recommend it to ensure it can handle the stress from the extra weight

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Steve French posted:

Maybe a long shot, but:

Does anyone have experience with or knowledge of Solo Motorsports or Desolate Motorsports? Specifically looking at their respective “stage 2” 4 inch lift suspension kits for our 93 bronco, keeping the twin traction beam setup. It’s got a 4” lift on it now but it was put on 20 years ago and it was a low end procomp kit then and hasn’t been touched since. We recently reacquired the truck and want to get it in good running order. We have plenty of vehicles so not aiming to compromise between daily driving and off road. We’re also not gonna be rock crawling with it, or probably doing anything rowdy enough to justify a bigger lift. Looking at one of the setups with fox shocks, either one or two up front, debating whether plating/reinforcement of the beams is necessary. Local shop suggested if we were to size up from 33” to 35” tires that they’d recommend it to ensure it can handle the stress from the extra weight

Closing the loop here we are going with the Desolate stage 2 with some TTB reinforcements. Stupid amount of money but hey it’s just money I can always make more right?

Should be getting installed in 3 weeks or so. Will report back.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

We took the Bronco out for its first real, but short, drive after the suspension work.

Wanted to get a bit more rowdy and go up to the top of the nearby peak to an abandoned lookout, but there was more snow than expected and we didn’t have a ton of spare time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

I need to get some dorgs. Can't wait until my son is old enough to hang out through a few hours' round trip car ride.

We need to get a spare tire carrier to make space inside for the dogs to be in back with the rear seats up for the kids, because right now we definitely cannot do both