Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

stump posted:

Aw man I'm jealous of you guys with proper 4x4's. I get to do a bit of light offroading at work (pretty much just green laning) but it can become quite fun in a something that is just a front wheel drive jacked up supermini.

We have a TD5 Landrover 90 at work too, but I'm not 25 yet so I'm not insured. :( Our fusion and transit can pretty much get anywhere we need to though, with a bit of patience and luck.

:o: What do you do for work, where do you work, do you have any jobs going? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Advent Horizon posted:

Just an FYI, helical cut gears are stronger than straight cut gears.

Yes, they get deflection, but the individual 'teeth' are far larger.

Hm. So, why is my LR's 1st straight-cut?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

InitialDave posted:

The reviews I've read seem to rate them, and I'd certainly be tempted for that kind of money. I'll probably buy a Tirfor-style hand winch first, though.

I've started picking up recovery kit - got a hilift today, apparently you can use them as an emergency winch too, which should do me on the lanes.

There's a guy selling pairs of 50mm thick waffleboards for £50 inc delivery on UK ebay here.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Be very careful around the hilift. The handle has a propensity to swing up and tear peoples heads off.

Aye, i've read warnings all over the place about them. When a tool carries a warning sticker like this:

...you know it demands respect. We'll see what happens :o:

Toucan Sam posted:

I highly recommend this right here for your Hi-Lift.

http://www.bbpfab.com/newsite/jackbase.htm
That looks quite nifty, do they have a UK distributor? :)

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

The safest way to tell is by the bulkhead!. Look through the window. If it has a plastic dash with the gauges infront of the driver it is a s3. no plastic dash - just metal with shelves on either side and gauges in the centre means 2A.
Door hinges and front grills often seem to move about.

I own a series 2A, on a 1969 plate, but with headlights in the centre panel and 90 doors and hinges..

Have you got any pics hanging around of yours all muddied up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

InitialDave posted:

Basically (And the reason I posted the link), Land Rovers combine God's own parts bin with Lego-kit construction - you can happily swap parts across five decades, and even though the parts themselves might not be the same, the mounting points could well be, because each iteration of a utility LR is most definitely a partial (i.e. cheapass) evolution of the previous model.

[...]

I'm trying to think of what I want to say here, but I can't quite word it right. I feel that the guy was in the wrong, but at the same time there's a chunk of "There but for the grace of God..." on behalf of everyone who modifies or services their own vehicles. Know what I mean?

This example and case is precisely the reason i'm not going to upgrade the single-circuit all-wheel 10" drum setup on my Landie IIa. I'm replacing like for like and that's it.