Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just got a Chevy Colorado Z71 a few weeks ago. Looking for some local places to go around SoCal.

This was on the way to Holy Jim, which is closest to me, and which is also closed still from last year's fire.

Trying to get out to Big Bear and Anza Borrego soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Her mother is an Australian Cattle Dog and her father is a Border Collie. I need to take her more places.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Did the Gold Fever Trail - 3N16 through Holcomb Valley - in Big Bear. I drove this previously in a Subaru Impreza (harrowing) and a Ford Edge (not bad). It's mostly a decent dirt road, but has some sections where you need the ground clearance. It's pretty beat up right now from the wet winter, and no way I'd be able to do the far end now in the Impreza, and it would be difficult in the Edge. It was pretty painless in the Colorado.

Still lots of snow on the north faces at some elevations

Never saw water here before

Rolled in the dirt to dry off

Also my wife thought the hill descent control was much better than my own driving

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

YouTube is telling me that Pismo is a bunch of inexperienced people driving unsafely in crowded conditions, rolling their vehicles, jumping their trucks and destroying the frames and suspension, or burying themselves to the rockers. And doing all of this while towing 40' trailers.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How many shackles do I need in a recovery kit? Do I need a recovery kit? Am I watching too many Australian YouTube videos? (Yes, I am)

I've got
- XBull knockoff maxtrax
- a shovel
- 30' snatch strap
- 8' tree saver (I don't have winch, this would mainly be used as a bridle for my front recovery points if needed.)
- shackle hitch receiver
- Two 3/4" shackles

I'm not planning on getting a bumper for a winch, or doing any types of things that would require winching, but thinking of maybe just throwing a come-along in there.
I don't have any points that a hi-lift jack would be usable.
Maybe open my wallet for some soft shackles?

I'd probably never use any of this but I'd rather be prepared. I think not driving stupid should prevent 99% of cases, and airing down 99% of that 1%, and using a shovel and traction boards would suffice in 99% of that 1% of that 1%.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My understanding that while a hi-lift can be used for winching, it really sucks and your travel is about 2' or less.

I don't know, there's a local guy on OfferUp selling his OEM rock sliders for a good price. I don't plan on rock crawling, but rocks are everywhere, and they work as a jack point.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is a length of dyneema that expensive? I haven't looked much, but when I did it seemed hard to find. These guys selling $50 soft shackles just take a foot of rope and tie a knot in it. It's not difficult thing to make yourself, if you can get the materials.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Well how fast are you going when you snatch?

Probably anything over 10-15 mph in a 5000lb truck is going to snap the strap. I'm not accounting for stretch or if the stuck vehicle moves, which would probably give you some more space.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ferremit posted:

Essentially if you think of a static strap as a length of chain made of nylon and treat them as such, you'll be fine.

The biggest mistake people make with recoveries is getting stuck in with the goon spoon first and do some digging. Dig some of the poo poo out of the way before you even attempt to move the vehicle. Or stack rocks or whatever you need to do to make things easier.

Also rated recovery points. A tow ball is NOT a rated recovery point. Tow Balls Kill people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFD4Fd03bq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjorZuxeRIg

Also- Winch cables too. They're not your friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97XqNX3yFTk

Brb, buying a damper or two.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Need more mountaintops

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol probably just typical Riverside County smog.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just gotta scrape all of the Zombie Patrol Task Force stickers off of them.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Looks like fun!

Started putting together video. Got this timelapse that will hopefully eventually render in something above 360p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkGlsgivfcA

Cool idea, I went out and made one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT7l174Zm0I

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Paulie posted:

True, but the majority of the appeal would be in those sweet diesels that aren't available here.

Pretty sure the 2.8 Duramax diesel is available worldwide in the Colorado.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I got a Street Guardian dash cam. It takes regular video, I just edited it to speed it up in OpenShot video editor.

You can set up a GoPro to do time lapse natively. They can also run off power if you plug it into your cigarette lighter.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cruising around Holcomb Valley again near Big Bear, looking for some good sledding spots where there was still some snow left.

Some group of about 20 Jeeps was parked in the middle of the trail not going anywhere (probably showing off their gear on the groomed fire road) so I turned around and tried some new roads.

My stock height Colorado scraped the skid plates in some of the ruts in the snow, but I had no problems.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

King of the Hammers?

I did 2N02 from Big Bear down to Pioneer Town today. Need a little more than stock clearance on the Colorado for some sections of that, hit my skid plates once or twice.

But I drove back up to Big Bear on the roads and went right by King of the Hammers. I saw someone leaving in a Geo Tracker. I don't know where people get the money for full size RVs towing flatbeds full of modified Jeeps and side-by-sides.

Also saw a Lexus LX470 on BFGs at Joshua Tree.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Really eyeballing that Eibach kit

Borrego Mountain Wash

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 9, 2020

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ZR2 comes in gas and diesel, as do the other trims.

I couldn't justify the premium though. I got a much better deal on the Z71. I bought the skid plates from the dealer with my accessory credit, and the ZR2 rock sliders off a guy on Facebook Marketplace. Eibach will give me 2", and I'm 90% there.

Sure they're not the fancy DSSV shocks, and the auto G80 in the rear isn't a manually controlled front and rear locker, and I don't have the bumper cutouts near the front tires, and the frame doesn't have additional reinforcement points, and I don't have a fancy dashboard showing me off-road angles.

But it's pretty capable in stock form. I barely put it in 4WD on the fire roads I drive on. The skid plates are a good idea though since the non-ZR2 Colorado/Canyon has the lowest ground clearance between the it, the Ranger, and the Tacoma.

Anyway pickups aren't the ideal layout for rock crawling anyway. The departure angles just aren't there.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any recommendations for shocks for a smoother ride off-road? Lift is optional, but I wouldn't mind 1-2 inches. I'm really just trying to absorb all the bumps from the gravel, rocky, and rutted fire roads around here in Southern California. It gets fatiguing after a couple of hours of driving on them. Vehicle is a 2019 Chevy Colorado Z71.

I was looking at the Eibach Pro kit, but reviews seemed to indicate it's more road oriented even though it has a lift. Same with the Bilstein 5100.

The Rancho RS5000 look like least expensive option, but as they are old school basic monotubes, I'm wondering how much the on-road performance will suffer. But then I'm not trying to spend a ton on a custom tuned Fox 2.5.

I know part of the issue is that I have a pickup, and the leaf springs are tuned to carry loads. That can be addressed with leaf packs, but I'm really just trying to take it one thing at a time.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've read them reviewed as providing a stiffer and harsher ride, and using a digressive build, which provides better handling in corners. Whereas a progressive build has better damping against bumps, but is worse at the types of forces seen in cornering. Of course I'm reading various forum posts across the internet so this could be wrong.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This is from last week. Not sure when it opened, it's been closed for maybe two years, but Santiago Peak is accessible from the north side. The road is still closed from Ortega highway.

Also on this road, I saw a Mazda, a Subaru, an Infiniti, a Volvo, a Honda Odyssey, a Honda Ridgeline (technically also a minivan), and the only one crawling at 5mph was this ridiculous monster truck.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This was Maple Springs Truck Trail out of Silverado Canyon to Main Divide Road. There's a few other ways up through Corona and other areas. But this is dead simple maintained fire roads, you don't really even need 4wd. And I'd say that's true for any of the fire roads around California. If you want to get weird, there's usually side roads and off shoots along the way, but the majority of the main roads can (not saying should or that it would be comfortable or efficient) be done in a basic CUV with street tires.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Great, thank you!

E:. Is there any basic kind of equipment I should bring before trying babby's first "off road" besides a partner? Or can I pretty much get by with stock stuff and take it painfully slow?

Sad that a guy who grew up in the sticks of GA is afraid of rough roads almost 30 years later.

You have the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, yes? You shouldn't have to do anything at all. It already has skid plates, 10.8" of ground clearance, and the Goodyear Wrangler tires are all good enough to do just about anything short of serious rock crawling.

For example, I've taken a Subaru Impreza down these fire roads, and that had 5.7" of clearance, no skid plates, and all season tires. I had to be extremely careful about random rocks, but the fire roads generally do not have any obstacles.

My current Chevy Colorado is at stock height, which is only 8.2" at the front skid plate. I've only banged it a couple of times misjudging things. Otherwise it also has Goodyear Wranglers and I've had no traction issues whatsoever.

Just go out there and have fun and be sensible. If you do find yourself running into limitations or having difficulty, you'll know what you will want to upgrade. Like I want to do a 2" suspension lift on my truck (going beyond that gets very spendy), which will barely catch me up to you in terms of clearance, but even at stock I've gone a lot of places and done things that didn't appear to me that the truck could handle, but ended up being fine. It's about getting out and gaining confidence in your driving and your vehicle.

The road I mentioned is pretty heavily traveled, especially on the weekends. I'd keep my eyes open for other vehicles, dirt bikes, mountain bikes, and even pedestrians - especially on the blind corners on the mountainside. You may not need much as far as safety equipment because of this.

If you start going out to some of the further out areas far away from people and cell service, I'd recommend getting more serious about safety and survival.

However, at the very minimum, you should carry -
1. Water
2. First Aid Kit
3. Tire Inflator, tire repair kit or a flat base (piece of wood or you can buy a plastic one) for your jack if you need to change your tire

If you start going off the beaten path, or expect to go somewhere very sandy or muddy or deep snow you might need to prepare for self recovery -
4. Long handle shovel (short handle if you don't have the space)
5. Traction boards (cheap XBull are fine, but don't expect them to last through multiple uses)
6. Winch - you will know if you need one once you are experienced enough to know if you will need one. These are for serious dudes going serious places, and also Jeeps on 48" tires with LED rims and chrome winch cables.

7. Recovery strap - these are fine to have if you have another vehicle to pull you out, so they're not in the "self recovery" section. Or you can be a hero and pull other people out. These can be very dangerous if used improperly. Probably buy before a winch if you have the space.

At this point you can nerd out about tire pressures and recovery techniques and survival gear and plug-in 12v refrigerators and rooftop tents and bear-proof coffee mugs. There's plenty of resources and YouTube videos about how to get yourself unstuck if you do get stuck.

The fire roads are just dirt roads maintained by the fire service in order to combat wildfires. They have to be in good condition and accessible by many vehicles, and it's nice that most of them are open to the public.

For a good part of history most roads were made of dirt. You're not going to suddenly find yourself in a world without friction because of lack of pavement. Take your time, go easy on the gas, and if you do get some speed realize you'll need slightly more distance to brake, and pay close attention to what's in front of you, and you should never get stuck unless you intend to.

99% of the time you will have no problems. You should be able to just drive onto the fire road as is and have a great day.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

Also a good idea when you're hiking, including the route you're planning to take.

Did we already have discussion about the new Bronco and I missed it? I think Ford knocked it out of the park with this one.

Lol at GM

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Fog Helmut

Thanks for the tip. I popped my off road cherry today. Drove from Silverado to I 15.

Any other places similar in difficulty nearby?

Next time, I'm bringing a sandwich and cigar for the peak. And leaving the wife at home. Don't think she like the heights and jostling.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/cleveland/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5340229

Anything in "Trabuco Ranger District" is local to Orange County. I haven't gone down towards San Diego much. There's plenty of easy to difficult stuff up around Big Bear, and going east out towards Anza Borrego. Those type of things would be a long day trip, if not staying somewhere overnight.

I know there's some off-road vehicle parks - one near Ocotillo Wells, another in San Gabriel Canyon, and another in Murrieta. I've only been to Ocotillo Wells, and it ranges from super easy to oops I shouldn't have gone this way.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah that moon dust up there is something else. Super fine and gets into everything and through all the seals.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

space chandeliers posted:

A short trek to Bear Creek in the San Bernardino National Forest near Angelus Oaks.

Which route did you take?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

space chandeliers posted:

I took the westbound 1N09 route, entering from Hwy 38 and Middle Control Rd (Google Maps calls it Mill Creek Rd/Seven Oaks Rd). Stopped at the Bear Creek crossing, played around the water with the kids, then headed back around sunset. Really easy and accommodated me staying in 2WD and being too lazy to air down. Have you been around there?

I haven't been over there, but I usually take 38 to Big Bear, which I haven't been to since before covid. I'll try to stop there next time I go. Was everything burned out? I know 38 was closed for a while due to fire.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

Got out to Anzo-Borrego State Park with the dog over Thanksgiving.

That place is great. Which roads did you take?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

I didnt know the name of the trails at the time, but after looking at a map - the first shot is the entrance to Plum Canyon trailhead, and the second pic is halfway up indian gorge road. I don't know the area at all and drove out from San Diego on a whim. Do you have any trail recommendations? I'd like to go back.

Is that towards the south end of the park? The last time I was there, we went out of Borrego Springs down Dump Road to Borrego Sink Wash to Borrego Mountain Wash.

Then off to Ocotillo Wells OHV area which can get pretty stupid in a stock Chevy Colorado if you try hard enough, but I made it through to the Pumpkin Patch from the main entrance, which took a lot longer than advertised.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

I did Fish Creek Wash in Anza Borrego earlier this year:

Cool wind caves:

Plus a stop at Font's Point on the way out:

I wanted to explore Sandstone Canyon but my wife was pregnant and not feeling offroading for hours at a time.

My wife was very pregnant on that trip as well, and we had to turn around in Slot Canyon because she couldn't fit.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Shout out to the dudes in the brand new lifted Jeeps who I let pass me at the trail entrance because I didn't want to hold you up. You showed me that crawling isn't just for rocks. Turns out my experience living in the Northeast most of my life makes me overqualified to drive in the snow at Big Bear.

Drivers I encountered today, ranked by courteousness:
1. Dudes in old Cherokees
2. Dudes in old YJs
3. General pickup truck guys
4. Toyota Sequoia (more than one!)
5. Subarus
6. The guy in the Kia Sorento FWD with chains who blew by everyone
7. The out of control guy in the old Pathfinder
8. Teenagers in older pickups taking blind turns at high speeds
9. Getting eaten by a Wampa
99. Brand new lifted Wrangler Unlimited and Gladiator drivers

Edit- didn't mean to sound like a rant. Had fun, found some snow.

Just something I've been thinking about - I've never had a slip or a slide in the stock Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure Kevlar tires that came with my truck. They have been fine in dry, dirt, rock, light mud, and snow. They are not the best in 2wd on wet pavement. Anyway, for my usage, I'm not sure what a more aggressive tire is really going to do for me.

edit edit - Vindication!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQAV5dm8e0Q

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 5, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Quote is not edit.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Get your Sequoia if you can, people are moving on them since you cant get an offroad Lexus anymore.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

You're not going to slide off of rocks unless you have horrible tires or you're climbing some absurd incline.

Here is my list of recommended items in order of importance:
1. Good tires
2. A spare tire
3. A tire inflator
4. A tire patch/plug kit

Congrats you are now prepared to drive on paved roads, fire roads, dirt roads, gravel roads, forest roads, logging roads, desert washes, and mountain passes.

Optional items that you'll never use unless you're in deep sand or deep snow or deep mud or tall rocks or steep rocks, and you had a lapse in judgement about what line to take, or you decided to fuckin send it:

5. A real shovel
6. Traction boards
7. A winch/come-a-long
7a. A heavy winch needs stronger front springs
7b. Tree saver strap and associated shackles with either of these
8. A recovery strap
8a. This does not work if there isn't another vehicle to get you out.
8b. Tree saver strap and associated shackles with this as well.

You've decided to be cool and modify your vehicle:
1. Better tires
2. Skid plates
3. Rock sliders
4. Suspension
5. Bigger tires
99. A light bar

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Saws are cool if you're going somewhere with possibly fallen trees.

Re tires: I've got my stock Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar and they've been fine at street pressure on dirt, sand, gravel, and rock, and snow, and mud. They don't have a ton of miles on them which is probably helpful, but that could be said about any tire. I haven't had a slip or a slide or anything resembling that.

Well maybe in two wheel drive on wet pavement.

I'm sure it might be different if I were climbing a staircase made of rocks where only two wheels were in contact with the ground any given time and I was starting from a dead stop, but I don't do any of that.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm pretty happy with my Viair 88p. I used it one time to fill up my father in law's tire when we plugged it in his driveway.

I've seen people rig these up to mount in their engine bay.

Consensus seems to be that the ones that plug into the cigarette lighter don't have the power/duty cycle to inflate large tires from 15-30+ psi in a reasonable amount of time.

Some people use portable air tanks that you prefill at home. Not sure what size you need to fill all of your tires. You're limited to what the tank can hold, however.

https://www.harborfreight.com/11-gallon-portable-air-tank-65595.html

Edit- also lol always bring a towel

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fox 2.0s worth it vs a less expensive alternative (Eibach/Peak)? Not sure I do enough to warrant the cost of 2.5s, might be a tough fit also.

edit nevermind i'm gonna get bilsteins if I ever get around to it.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Aren't wranglers naturally awful on washboards?

Anyway, Bilsteins are digressive while the Fox are linear, iirc. Bilsteins should lean more towards on-road stability and cornering, while Fox should be better off road bumps and whoops. I would stay away from a progressive shock unless its a fully dedicated off-road vehicle that will see little to no road use.