Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Atticus_1354 posted:

Be very careful around the hilift. The handle has a propensity to swing up and tear peoples heads off.

I use one for 8 weeks a year and they always hit me in the face :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Does this count as a 4X4?

Tomorrow is the install of the braided brake lines and a rebleed to hopefully get some brake feel. I have some rotors, pads, and new brake hardware coming in the next few days, the rotors are beyond glazed and trashed. Now I just need new tires, #3 cylinder to work, and I have a rally car.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 23, 2008

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

BigKOfJustice posted:

I think the next big trip is the vegas to reno desert race in August, but fortunately the team lead is paying for food/fuel and lodging for us, otherwise that'd be about 700$ in diesel fuel to run there and back.

I'm chasing for a 1600 car (2014) in my GTX actually.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

BigK, what team car/number are you chasing the Vegas to Reno for?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I use my Daihatsu Rocky for real work, put a pintle/ball combo on the back and drag around ranch stuff. Now if I could only take better pictures than this:

edit:: whoa dimension problems I don't even understand how that happened!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

incredibull posted:

Love those Rockys, but see very few of them. The Rocky seems more like what the natural progression of the Samurai should have been, instead of into the Tracker.

Its not really any better (IFS and such), besides having 5.29 gears stock. Yes I do do 4300RPM on the freeway, at 70mph.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I have that same thing, but mine is a bit worn and just leaks too much to really get the speeds to drive through my crabgrass :(

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

I doubt it'll be much different in the rear. Lots of trucks/suvs on that platform came SOA stock.

Except they were engineered that way, whereas modifying a car does throw all the in-built loading math on the springs out the window.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

A SOA Ranger isn't vastly different from a SUA Explorer.

Mind telling me the technical aspects of the bushing durometer and suspension geometry changes?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

Mind telling me why i should feed the troll?

I'm not trolling, I'm telling you that there are likely differences in how the suspension is set up with such a large different in ride-height. Bushing hardness and spring strength has to rise to cope with more leverage the axle can put on the shackles, which also should be larger. More axle twist has to be accounted for, so pinion angles change, driveshafts and transmissions mount angles can change, etc. Manufacturers design this sort of stuff and generally know their poo poo*, so unless you know part numbers or are a suspension engineer, what is your basis in fact?

*twin-I-beam is probably the worst suspension geometry ever thought up by a car maker, so maybe they don't know their poo poo.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Just make sure you put a good intercooler on it, 6.2ls are prone to cracking heads if overheated

Diesel charge cooling isn't a bandaid for adding power beyond what the cooling system was meanst to handle. Plenty of turbodiesels weren't intercooled and ran cool, its a power issue not a overheating issue. If it overheats making more than stock power, you need more than stock radiator.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

With the 6.2 it WAS just overheating, and it wasn't due to lack of cooling.

There was a design flaw that GM publicly acknowledged with the 6.2, the cooling valley has a flaw where insufficient coolant would reach the rear cylinders, causing warping and eventually cracking the head

That would be a head coolant flow problem, not a temperature of charge air problem. There's heat involved, but not heat that has much at all to do with each other. :)

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

trouser chili posted:

Stupidly, CRD in the Liberty is equipped with EGR. There are a few things worse in my mind than running sooty diesel exhaust directly into your intake, but not many. If you get a Diesel Lib, plan on finding a way to disable the EGR and you should be very happy with it.

They're not precombstion chamber mechanical injection diesels from a loving billion years ago, so unless you have some data to back that up I haven't the slighest idea where you are coming from. Does the EGR cooler not work? Does it have too small of passages? Does the valve break? Is it CARB or the EPA?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

gimpsuitjones posted:

I have a 1996 Daihatsu Rocky with the anaemic 1.6l petrol engine. I like it but it's nowhere near as capable as some of the vehicles posted in here. Now you've all got me thinking about buying a disco or something. Not that I actually go 4wding. I just use it to go places I can't take a car.

Nice Rocky! I wish I had a snorkel, but the distributor is about at dash level and instantly stops working if it even gets a hint of water.

I picked up a Daihatsu grille badge, getting some spare wheels and a LSD soon.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

gimpsuitjones posted:

Ooh you can get an LSD? where from? Can you get locking diffs for them?

A few Australian companies make lockers for them, the LSD is an option unit from a higher trim F300. It should also be an option for you according to my world service manual, so you might be able to find one.

Send me an email if you want some info on Rocky stuff, I know too much about them and other Daihatsus for someone in a country where they have't been sold since 1992.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

You aren't getting any more low-end from the 1.6L, all the things you can do add mid to high range. InitialDave is right, the 2.8TD is a good one (get the intercooled model from the late F300s), and bolt right in. Hell, buy a parts one and swap everything over. I know very little about the diesel since it wasn't sold in the US.

edit: I'm not sure if the transmission or diff gearing is different, because I doubt the 2.8 does muc of anything more than 5000RPM, and you'd do all of about 5mph in low range in first at 5000RPM, as well as barely get over 75mph.

A VW 1.9TD might be usable in a Samurai, but a Rocky/Feroza is about 500lbs heavier, mine weighs in at 2550 with not a single option.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 25, 2011

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

gimpsuitjones posted:

Hmm. poo poo. I saw a 22RE swap on some Rocky forum somewhere but the dude changed all the driveline and suspension setup and frankly that's too hard for me and would gently caress it as a DD anyway I think.

I'm a moderator on WARFS/Fedorfs and you'd be talking about the administrator',alaskan oge.'

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

There was an inspection system up until the mid 60s from what I read, removed to save tax revenue or something stupid. Hello taped taillights and barely driving hulks.

Funny thing, CARB just writes generalized policy and manages the testing/certification for aftermarket pats , BAR administrates the smog database and standards. I have yet to see someone actually correctly direct some 'arrg my 70s landbarge runs like poo poo ' rage towards the correct entity.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 12, 2011

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Motronic posted:

The point is that we DON'T check anywhere close to every nut and bolt. Did you read reddeathdrinker's synopsis of what a MOT inspection is like?

As far as emissions, that is nearly a thing of the past in regards to ir being a separate "thing". Vehicles are expected to monitor their own emissions with the addition of downstream O2s. You can't pass an inspection with a MIL set, which would be the case if there were an emissions problem on a modern passenger vehicle. If it's OBDII, there is literally no reason to test the emissions separately if you won't issue an inspection sticker on a vehicle with a MIL.

Dynos/tail pipe sniffers are a thing of the past (or a leftover from it) for the most part.

Downstream O2 sensors ONLY measure the comparative percentage of HC against the main sensor. they do not measure NOx or anything else other than catalyst efficiency. You could have broken/removed EVR, PCV, and evap and run on 1 cylinder and it would never know if the main and secondary sensor are in agreement that the hydrocarbon section of the catalyst is functioning on a warm car.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Motronic posted:

Broken/removed EGR: sets one or more P0400, 0401, 0402 and others
Broken PCV: OBDII monitoring required as of 2004 (P1485 on Dodges, somewhere close for other makes, but still setting a DTC regardless)
Evap: obviously a slew of code possibilities. The testing is sensitive enough to throw a a P0442 with so much as an ill-fitted fuel cap.
Misfiring/not running on all cylinders: P0300 series

I'm aware of the OBD system and its code outputs, but you weren't talking about that, you were talking about what a downstream sensor does.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I've had endless problems with the soft sidewalls of my Toyo Open Country A/Ts on my Daihatsu Rocky, and I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. These are tall and narrow, being 215/75/15. I don't do any offroading, and don't really care for anything but paved grip. Some tread is fine, I live on a gravel driveway and do use it offroad camping and such, but really on-road fuel economy is more of a need than crawling ability. Any recommendations? Price is also a huge factor.

Taller would be okay, I'm still reading 5mph fast at 65mph on it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Krakkles posted:

I'm debating putting one in my rig, just because it seems like a lot of wheelers have them. I've got a 2m FM in it already, but those seem fairly uncommon outside of racers.

My employer sells so many 'offroad' radio setups I think that anyone that has a desert car has thought about or has already bought one.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

I got hit up by a bunch of local 'rally' dudes to put 2 meter radios in their cars, I got all excited till I found out nobody was actually going to study for or get their ham license, they were just gonna run illegal. Get your ticket if you wanna use big radios! Otherwise FRS is pretty decent for short range FM.

Nobody has a license for the 2M LMR band for desert racing and the FCC doesn't seem to care at all, but I actively discourage customers from having 2M ham stuff put in, even the Rubicon repeaters. Part of the reason for me getting my ham Technican was for rally communications, since I have access to big

PS if anyone needs anything about frequencies for desert racing, I have everything you'd ever need to know.

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to pick up one or two cheapie 2m handhelds for use by other people if I wheel with people who don't have 'em.
Yeah, I think it's probably just my impression. When I go out to a desert race, everyone has one in their vehicles. When I'm driving a trail, some people have a handheld, some have nothing.

Get a Baofeng UV-5R, which does 2M VHF and 70cm (UHF). Decent radio, miles and miles beyond anything else at its price point.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 15, 2013

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Last weekend we took my brother's insane Toyota rig and my Rocky out to Pozo/La Panza OHV area and I showed him what swaybar-connected IFS and open diffs can do! His paltry Yota is an 85 EFI SR5 with an exocage, 5.92 gears in Tacoma rear end, Detroits front and rear, bobbed rear box, dual transfer cases, and 37s. The Daihatsu has...none of those.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 22, 2013

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Sandbagger SA posted:

That's like a cooler version of my DD.

I repainted the bumper covers with rubberized paint to cover up the dings and gouges from the PO.

He's also my brother, which makes it better/worse.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

You'd think electric drive would be perfect for offroading because of the way torgue is delivered and the regulation allowing constant delivery of power at low speed.

e: I guess the weight of batteries would suck.

Compared to the weight of all-iron engines, heavy transmissions, and transfer cases, it might be a great way to go.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I got an old Warn M5000 winch for $30 last weekend, it even was on a 2" receiver cradle. Two solenoids are physically broken and I don't have the control, but it seems to work well enough. My brother replaced his winch cable so I have 50' of 5/16" so it got new rope, and now I'm just figuring out if I should put 2" receivers on the front/rear of the Rocky or hard-mount the winch on the front. Its a bit low capacity for the Rocky's 2700lb weight, but if I use a snatch block and don't expect to get out of deep mud, I should be ok. Should I buy winch-rated solenoids or just get the $10 Ford pickup starter solenoids?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

kastein posted:

Starter solenoids aren't rated for that kind of duty cycle, just get constant-duty rated solenoids that will handle the current and you'll be fine. If it's what I expect it is, it's your typical H-bridge style contactor arrangement, should be easy to duplicate with basically any set of contactors.

Its like $40 for a pair of solenoids that are rated for winches, so its not a big deal. Yes on the H-bridge with armature and 2 fields.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I'm looking at this tonite: http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/4392149975.html

I've done a water pump on a 2.5L XJ, I imagine this could be worth it in just parting out. Ideas? I already talked to him, going to see it tonight at 5:30!

quote:

I've got a 91 jeep Cherokee 2 door 4x4 4.0 straight 6 manual trans with 22x,xxx miles motor rebuilt around 30,000 ago it's not it great shape it has dents and scratches cause I used it as a trail rig mostly but the motor runs it does need a new water pump though other than that everything else works. It has a custom 2" lift 31x10x15 wrangler tires with around 25% it also has a custom safari roof rack with 4 off road lights on it. It hasn't been registered since 2012 but last time I did it passed smog no problems ... I'm just looking to get rid of this thing and get something newer so let me know if you have any questions or anything and I will try to post pics tomorrow night... thanks
Asking 600
8.o.5 3nine1 3five4five

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I missed out on that Cherokee, but I'm sure I'll find something decent.

Anyone know what was the stock gear ratio on Samurais?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

There's million dollar rock bouncers out there, they are by no means any sort of 'economy' build.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

A lot of the offroaders here use commercial VHF radios, I work in offroad communications and the only group I know that uses actual 2m amateur frequencies is a jeep group in San Diego. Everyone else uses the same stuff desert racers have used for 30 years. Back east its mostly CBs and some FRS/GMRS radios. A lot of people use LMR hardware, some use 'unlocked' amateur radio equipment. Yaesu FT2900, Kenwood TM261, etc.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 20, 2014

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Bob "Weatherman" Steinberger has a long cancelled license for 800MHz cell infrastructure. :angel: He never had a license for 151.625MHz, nor any VHF LMR frequencies. Everyone in the offroad community operates licenseless (I can't think of a single exception, despite having been a radio tech previously at PCI Race Radios for 2 years and now at Rugged Radios for 2 years), and haven't heard of a team or racer ever pursued by the FCC for any reason. You'd likely never have any trouble with a 4 watt Baofeng transmitting in the LMR band, but definitely stay out of 2m and 70cm amateur bands.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Krakkles posted:

You know, I assumed he did, because he's really obviously broadcasting out there, but ... I'm not really surprised. Especially given how little radio discipline he actually has.

(Last race I was at, he and some guy had this long chat - on 151.625mhz, during an active race - about ... well, nothing. Hey buddy, how's it going, oh yeah, i remember that, how're your kids, etc. I was severely tempted to start broadcasting over them.)

The "relay" concept used to be a lot more central to race communications before satellite phones, normal cell service and better radios became available. Combine some rose-tint to its history and you have its storied past. Its a great concept, but it never really changed from a guy with a portable radio tower on a mountaintop. In just a few hours of racing, there is such a vast speed and geographical difference between the fast classes and slow classes, there's no way to serve both. Guess who buys the $1500 Kenwood mobiles?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Motronic posted:

I have 3 of them with all the standard motorola "color" frequencies and stuff in them so I can hand them out to people and use my mounted 2m in comfort :)

They're too cheap not to have a few around. And surprisingly adequate for the price.

I have plenty of talent to repair $200 eBay Kenwood TK790Hs, but my only radio is a Baofeng F8 (8W UV5R) and a roof-mount Laird 1/4W VHF antenna.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I'm trying to figure out if I should sell my Daihatsu Rocky and get a Samurai. My neighbor has an 86 with an aftermarket hardtop and includes a parts 88 (which is actually complete but has no title), for $3000-ish. My Rocky has zero aftermarket, and I can't weld the diffs because its our spare car and its street driven. I don't want to re-axle it just for aftermarket support, and I'd rather just have the Samurai, which has great and cheap-ish aftermarket. Ideas?

edit: I have 31s now, which bolt right on the Samurai, actually.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

gimpsuitjones posted:

They're great but a bit rubbish for river crossings. Light and floaty.

We don't have water in California. Its far more likely to do desert exploration than go near more than a foot of water. I also realized I have a Warn M5000, which is tiny but probably enough for a Samurai when used with a snatch block (the only way to winch). Like the picture of my Rocky shows, my brother's 85 Toyota is a bit of a trail rig, and we always wheel together.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I'm looking for lockers for my Daihatsu Rocky (F300 aka Fourtrak/Feroza in ROW) and after finding outs its like $1200 for just a rear unit, I might as well take the lock-rite equipped Toyota 7.5" axle I have and get some 5.29 gears and some 5x4.5" to 5x5.5" wheel adapters. Anyone think it won't be strong enough? I have some 31" ATs and its under 3000lbs loaded down with gear.

Note: Rocky axle is 54" from inside of rear drum backing plates, Toyota is 51". Should be a perfect fit with adapters.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 17, 2016

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I'm currently wasting my time on my Daihatsu Rocky by putting RoW taillights on it because I hate red turn signals, which also involves repurposing an unused wire in the body harness and modifying the light control board to separate the turn and stop signals.

I also put a snorkel, 31s and am finishing up a shackle lift so the tires don't rub so badly. I also changed all of the rod ends and ball joints to fix a loose suspension issue. Now I just need a rear LSD and fit the winch. Then I can get stuck everywhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

That livery is amazing.