Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I sold my 99 Cherokee about 6 months ago and have been regretting it ever since. Loved having a 4wd truck and have had multiple projects where I really needed the cargo space and had to rent from lowes instead. Can't really afford to get something as nice just now, so I've been checking out older pickups (which are plentiful around here.) I just have no idea what to look for and am curious about this one: http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/2688637934.html

Guy says the ODO is sitting at 99xxx but could have turned over who knows how many times, and the exhaust manifold is cracked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheFrailNinja posted:

My other question is just about 4wd in general and open diffs. Why is it that you get wheel skip on dry pavement when turning sharp enough in 4wd? Every 4wd truck I've driven has had open diffs, and yet they all do this. I thought that both wheels being allowed to turn at different rates was an advantage of open diffs, yet they seem to behave like a locker when making tight turns on dry surfaces. How is that?

It's because there's no center differential.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is that as steep as it looks? Cause it looks crazy.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was this thread, I think it was something with the dude who has a big Ford van looking to put a deep cycle battery in.

edit: actually started with this post I think, not the van guy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2755109&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=57#post423716386

powderific fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 14, 2014

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is that a vinyl wrap?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What are some options for a cheap, reliable-ish 4x4? I'm in need of something that can haul more gear than my miata and would like to get back into some kind of truck. My offroading wants aren't too strenuous—my old subaru could do pretty much anything I'd want if it had a better approach angle and a little more ground clearance. I loooove Cherokees but any of them around here are either way overpriced or completely rusted out thanks to road salt. Ford Rangers seem plentiful and cheap, and I see a few 4Runners, but don't know enough about either to know what I'd be in for on potential maintenance issues. SUV would be best for what I'm carrying (mostly camera gear) but pickups seem more plentiful around here and I could probably make one work.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm in Nebraska and not sure how far south I'd need to go before they stop being rusted to poo poo. A 98-99 4 door is my ideal but there aren't many on CL to begin with and those I've found so far have been in rough shape. I can afford to be patient for the time being though—maybe something will turn up.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

What about a ZJ Grand Cherokee? They're usually way cheaper than an XJ in comparable condition in my neck of the woods, no idea what pricing is like in your area though. Bonus points for a ZJ Grand "Wagoneer"

Grand Cherokees also seem to be more common in decent condition here. Maybe people were more likely to garage them?

Edit:

Howbout one of these?
http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/5327035149.html
"F.Y.I. This baby is so clean you could eat dinner off the engine so there you have it again Serious Replies Only Or Need Not Respond"

or

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/5329209745.html

powderific fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 23, 2015

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For someone out in the bush with limited tool space one of those with a spool of wire seems way more useful than a hose clamp assortment.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Continuing to keep an eye out for Jimnies in Liberia. I don't see a ton here, but I see a scattering of mostly newer ones. The Suzuki Grand Vitara is relatively common though, so there's definitely some Suzuki presence. I read up a little on the other "mini SUVs" that are allegedly off-road capable, but not seeing anything really parallel, a lot of the vaguely similar cars being more AWD crossovers that aren't really bush cars. One interesting possible exception: Daihatsu Terios. I'd see it mentioned but ignored it because is never heard of it, but saw two of them downtown this weekend. Tiny little thing, but apparently it's a true 4WD and people do actually off-road with them.

I don't think the Terios, at least the newer one, has a low range, so I think the Jimny would be preferable.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The CR-V and Rav4 are definitely in the same class. But if they're super common and a used one would be cheap, maybe get that for your around town vehicle and make the Pathfinder the bush car?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"Expedition" is overselling a lot of it for sure but seems like there's a useful distinction to be made. To me it's shorthand for taking your 4wd camping but instead of camping somewhere and then going on 4wd trails, getting to the campsite is the 4wd-ing part. Like the difference between mountain biking and bikepacking. I think maybe it's tougher to find routes in the CONUS that make doing it seem like much of an adventure though so a lot of it winds up being things I could do in a fiesta.

Along the lines of overland and expedition, I've been watching a ton of this australian 4wd youtube channel over the past few weeks. Think it's been posted before but I'd forgotten about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBSX2AGIP_4

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe being from the middle of nowhere USA gives me enough distance for it to seem fun and novel instead of annoying, ha.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't even make it through an episode of Expedition Overland. The overwrought, super serious VO from a guy who sounds like he just learned to read but wants to be some kind of travel film auteur is the worst part for me.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is the first time I’ve seen them but seems really appealing to me. Slower doesn’t matter so much when you don’t have to watch the things.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been looking at similar vehicles. The GX is really appealing cause around me at least they aren’t any more expensive than an equivalent 4Runner and generally seem to be in better shape. I like that it’s a little different too. The rear air spring delete looks pretty straightforward so i dunno that it’s too big of knock against it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's a reasonable price for something in that range? I've been looking at Gx470's but I see there's a few 100 series land cruisers around me with 180k miles or so.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any pros / cons to something like this LC 100: https://www.autoworksofomaha.com/1999_Toyota_Land%20Cruiser_Omaha_NE_20637678.veh

vs. a GX470 like this: https://www.wittrockmotor.com/bargain/LEXUS/2005-LEXUS-GX+470-for-sale-Carroll-IA-da7a5d0a0a0e0aea36b84b1da001d2cc.htm

?

There are also quite a few GX470s around me with 130-150k on them around, but they're also more like $13-$15k. I'm looking for something to be our second car both for hauling equipment, being more comfortable on trips than our Fiesta, and I've dreams of offroading but it's likely a couple times per year vs. an all the time thing.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the suggestion was because slow is fast's LC has rusted off mounts so it'd be more trouble than it's worth to fix.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally had the GX470 somewhere other than the city for a photo (even if it is just a gravel road with snow):

Does anyone have experience with corrosion on aluminum rims? I know its a problem with these GX470 rims and I'm trying to get an idea whether this is just gonna be cosmetic or if I should start saving for new wheels:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah, it’s the same bolt pattern. I was looking at the 17” fjc steel wheels (or whatever I can find) if these wound up losing air on me or something.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'll probably just let it look like poo poo then :v: I vaguely remember someone somewhere posting about losing air on their GX470 wheels from corrosion but if that's more of a fluke situation I'm not gonna worry about it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I picked up a high mileage GX470 last fall and it's been great. Around me at least the Lexus varieties were cheaper than equivalent 4Runners while being in better shape. Mine is basically just a daily driver at this point, but building it up is on the list if my income ever stabilizes.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Atticus_1354 posted:

Those of you with a gx470 what size tires are you running and what's your fuel mileage like?

265 70 17 here, which isn’t much more than stock but is the biggest that you can fit without some modification. Seem to average around 15.8 based on the computer, mostly around town. Where I am it’s always really windy so highway mileage is pretty variable, but best I’ve gotten on a long trip is still bout 20 on these tires.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve actually grown to appreciate the side swing door after banging my head on a bunch of SUV hatches recently.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some googling I think it’s probably this thing: https://www.sbfilters.com/particle-separator/truck

There are also prefilters that use cyclonic partical separation that you can plop on top of a snorkel from Donaldson and others.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bought a GX470 a couple years ago for the same "cheaper and nicer than a 4Runner" reason and didn't bother looking for KDSS cause it didn't really seem worth it. That said, I never drove one with it either so I may just be living in blissful ignorance. I would suggest trying to find one without the nav system so you can have normal HVAC controls instead of them being built in to an ancient stereo interface.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The HVAC controls are integrated and the part off the non-nav one with controls is like $700 if you can’t find it on a junkyard one. I don’t think the replacement is that bad if you DO have the non nav controls available. I think there are starting to be aftermarket full replacements that can do the HVAC stuff but it’s all weird knockoff stuff that I’m not sure how well it actually works in practice?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Splinter posted:

Finally pulled the trigger on a 2007 GX 470. Time to get to work! After changing all the fluids, first task is trimming the running boards to increase clearance between the wheels.

It's very clean for it's age and in great shape. Has nav unfortunately, but finding a non-nav in decent shape didn't seem like it was going to happen any time soon. The few that had it were all either very high mileage and/or very well worn.

Looks great! How many miles? Did you wind up finding one with KDSS?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice! I wound up with a high mileage one, 189k when I got it, but it had extensive service history, just had the timing belt done, and was at an easy dealership to work with (and I suppose most relevantly I was kindof up against a wall for needing a new vehicle.)

One other thing I'm not sure if got mentioned, these engines have a secondary air injection system that inevitably goes wrong and will throw a code. You can get a bypass thingy that just turns it off entirely and not worry about it though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you do it before it fails you might be able to get away with not installing block off plates, while if you wait the valve can fail open and then you definitely have to use the plates and they’re kind of a pain to get at. You’re supposed to install them anyway as a precaution, but I skipped it and it’s been fine. I got one off eBay from Rutech since at the time it was significantly cheaper; looks like the prices are closer now.

It’s not a huge deal to wait till it goes bad, but you’ll wind up with and engine in limp mode fore sure and that can suck if you don’t have a code reader handy.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Since you're just tricking the system into not running, and it only effects the vehicle immediately on startup, I don't think it should be an issue. Hewitt claims that it's fine too, but I'm in a non-emissions testing state so I can't say for sure from personal experience.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No advice to give, but I’ve also been eyeing Tundras or some other full size at some point too. My GX470 has been great and I really love it, but a pickup with a cap or cargo van would be a lot more useful for work. They’ve barely changed in a decade plus AFAIK so you’d think they’d have most of the kinks worked out.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agree that it feels like the last of a breed, though I haven't driven much for newer trucks other than rental suburbans and expeditions. It's a great truck other than the gas and older interior being less space efficient some other vehicles with similar footprint. I could use more space I'd be really sad to see it go, and would probably wind up regretting it (like I did selling my 99 XJ.)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Congrats on the new ride. You might wanna wait till the lift and tires for the bumper anyway — sometimes they look really weird and ungainly on stock trucks.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another Falken Wildpeak AT3W user here. I barely offroad at this point, but they're amazing in the snow, not too loud, and didn't appreciably change my gas mileage from the Michelin non-AT tire the GX470 had in it from the PO.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s a button in the gx470 to turn off the roll sensing curtain airbags for off-roading.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been very happy with my Falken Wildpeaks in the winter snow and ice, and I run Blizzaks on my other car. A lot of people seem to like them in general, though I know there's someone in this thread who thinks they're trash so YMMV I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Out of curiosity I looked at the front bumpstops on my stock GX470:

Not a lot of clearance there either — thought it might be a point of reference at least on the bump stop end of things.

Last year the air suspension went out during a job and I had to drive the thing around a bit with the axle riding on the bump stops. Very exciting! Did a coil conversion and thought it was riding worse due to that, but just changed out the rear shocks it's riding much nicer.