Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Atmus posted:

The only time I ever managed to get mine stuck was when I tried pushing wet snow while on ice after that blizzard we had a year ago. I managed to shove enough snow ahead of me to give the sidewalk (which i was 'plowing') a 4' frozen barrier. Iwouldn't have gotten stuck if I had locking differentials, but when a front wheel and a rear wheel are both on ice, things get annoying on an otherwise stock truck.

How deep have you gone with that snorkel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Has anyone ever seen or driven or worked on any of these Urals up close? Are they reliable? I would imagine parts are cheap if you're where they're produced.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Geared Hub posted:

Why would non-hummer owners care about this? It means the pubic offering of a small block turbo diesel which can fit into almost anything, the 3.2L Inline 6 Optimizer 3200, 300 hp, 500 ft/lb of torque and you can swap it into a Wrangler if you wanted :)

Are you telling me my dreams of a Toyota Hilux clone might come true? Would this fit into a Tacoma?

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

What are some options for a rugged paint job? In the detailing thread the general consensus is the matte-finish auto paint is a total nightmare to take care of, but the matte finish is similar to military CARC paint, isn't it? And all military vehicles do is either sit in a motor pool totally exposed to the elements or get nasty in the field and only are cleaned with high pressure water. Would something like Krylon camouflage work?

http://www.krylon.com/products/camouflage_paint_with_fusion_technology/

Or a colored primer?

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Motronic posted:

Have you ever looked at the finish quality on those vehicles at any point after they've been put in service? It's fine for them. It's not a street car level of quality at all.

That's my point. What would a good paint be when you don't care about how it looks but simply want a cheap paint to cover the body? Much like a military vehicle it's nothing to do with the looks but all about the function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

I've loved the Toyota Hilux ever since I saw the Top Gear segment where they tried to destroy one. I probably think it's cooler than it is because I can't get it here in the USA. I was looking at the prices of the stripped down Hilux Workmate 4x4 double cab and it's over $40,000 USD. What's going on here? And the difference between the 4x4 and 4x2 model is over $10,000. Can someone explain to me the extremely high price of the barest model as well as how going from 4x2 to 4x4 costs almost as much new (cheap) car?

edit: These are the australian prices converted to US dollar; the exchange rate is almost 1:1 right now anyway. Are they cheaper elsewhere?

hummingbird hoedown fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 18, 2012