Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
I haven't done any serious off-roading yet, but I have gone on various off-road excursions since I got my Jeep (mud is nasty stuff to try and get out of a soft-top by the way) yet I still don't have any pictures. The problem is, once I'm actually off-roading, I generally don't stop to take pictures except for maybe a couple inside the vehicle. It's just way too much hassle for something you need to concentrate on while doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
I really wish I had the money to buy this ($640): Garmin Colorado 400t

Larger screen, longer battery life, more accurate, full 3D mapping, an entirely revamped interface (most of the controls are now wrapped into the new joystick) and tons of other awesome new features. If only they had a version (albeit more expensive) with a much larger screen so it could be more easily used in a vehicle.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
I don't have tons of experience off-roading, but anytime I can get away with using 4wd, I do, and if I need to crawl, I put it into 4Lo; I see no reason not to as you aren't saving yourself anything by not doing so.

That said, just yesterday on a Geology trip, I had to drive up a cell-tower access road, because the road cross-cuts a granodiorite outcrop that has two separate faults cross-cutting each other within the exposed outcrop.

The road itself is barely wide enough to fit the Jeep, really steep and climbs about 1500 feet elevation all total; there's a vertical wall on one side and a vertical drop on the other (with a drop correlating to how far up you've climbed) and the road in most places leans slightly out towards the cliff, and is covered with slippery float from various other outcrops weathering from higher in the stratigraphy.

Despite "just" being an access road, I threw it into 4Lo and let the Jeep crawl up it, and while I know there are plenty of people who could and would just fly up it in 2wd, I honestly don't see the reason why you would, especially considering the consequences should you hit an especially loose spot of float (even while crawling, there were spots where it got really loose).

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

BigKOfJustice posted:

:stuff about cleanups:

BigK, can you shed some insight into exactly what these cleanups entail? I for the life of me, can't picture anything different than a bunch of guys slowly crawling along in Hummers, picking up wrappers and beer cans off a trail with one of those long sticks with a nail in the end.

Despite being hilarious, the thought for whatever reason, brings up feelings of rage inside of me (don't know why).