Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Oh, I'm in OC. Looking for baby trails for my GC trailhawk nearby. Like infant trails as I have no experience.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

FogHelmut posted:

This was Maple Springs Truck Trail out of Silverado Canyon to Main Divide Road. There's a few other ways up through Corona and other areas. But this is dead simple maintained fire roads, you don't really even need 4wd. And I'd say that's true for any of the fire roads around California. If you want to get weird, there's usually side roads and off shoots along the way, but the majority of the main roads can (not saying should or that it would be comfortable or efficient) be done in a basic CUV with street tires.

Great, thank you!

E:. Is there any basic kind of equipment I should bring before trying babby's first "off road" besides a partner? Or can I pretty much get by with stock stuff and take it painfully slow?

Sad that a guy who grew up in the sticks of GA is afraid of rough roads almost 30 years later.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 14, 2020

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Thank you all. Maybe I'll take the kid out there to bounce around a bit.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Fog Helmut

Thanks for the tip. I popped my off road cherry today. Drove from Silverado to I 15.

Any other places similar in difficulty nearby?

Next time, I'm bringing a sandwich and cigar for the peak. And leaving the wife at home. Don't think she like the heights and jostling.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Fog Helmut

Thanks for the tip. Did the OC truck trail twice. Here's a rare pic of an offroad Jeep GC. Not pictured is the massive amounts of drool and hair from my pyrnees/retriever that Im cleaning out tomorrow from a 1 week trip to Yosemite.

Got the Spot X with roadside service as I found out last week just how much of CA isn't covered by cell towers.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Yeah, it's all inside my door seals. Gonna be a mother to get it all out. Curious to go up during rainy winters when there's mud.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Drove up to Santiago Peak on Sunday. Stock everything. The other people at the top were on 35"s or better. It's a fire road, nothing technical.

Most trouble I ran into was young kids in much more expensive vehicles than mine driving way too fast coming up the hill.

Didn't know you were near me. I drove it 2 weeks ago and a new white range rover passed me going down. Had to do a double take.

Trails going to the SE were closed due to fire hazard.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Mind pointing me to other trails similar in difficulty in our area? I'm weird and usually drive alone since my wife and kid find offroad too bouncy.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Anyone in SOCal have any offroading ideas/areas now that USFS land is shut down? I was learning my fire trails when they closed (and rightfully so).

E:. Big babby trails, Im a total amateur.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Signed up for a Jeep Academy event. I know I'll be subjected to the obvious marketing, but is it going to be a bunch of boomers like a Harley Davidson dealer?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

More or less yeah.
Heat and cold will suck air in and push it out.

Ok, a follow-up dumb question but why is it bad if it doesn't vent?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Splinter posted:

Congrats, looks good! Non-nav too. Already having the airbag delete will make things easier...

I gotta admit that I audibly said wtf when I read up to here as I thought you meant the safety air bags.

E: Changing my diesel oil myself tomorrow for the first time since the 90s when I started having others do it. Looking forward to posting my mistakes and pics of dark black rotella puddles on the ground in the Jeep thread.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 7, 2022

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I'm a big dummy when it comes to car stuff, specifically this tire talk. Is there a reputable website that you all recommend I can bookmark for tire research? I'm thinking my stock Goodyear's only have about 10k of tread life left, so I'm looking into it now.

E:. Or I guess I can post in here when the time comes.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Thanks! I'm definitely the on road category as it's also the family hauler on road trips, so I bookmarked those in tire rack.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Blame the lack of coffee, but I stared at that pic for at least a minute thinking you had dualies on the front axle. And the scary part was, I was like "oh, I guess that's a thing now".

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

As someone who spent about half their life in FL, please let me know about this new, mythical "cool" Florida weather.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Before I pull the trigger, any inputs on Toyo AT3 vs Falken wildpeak? I'm leaning toward the Toyo. Was considering the bf Goodrich ko2, but that tires almost 10 years old.

I do baby trails in so cal in a grand Cherokee, so mostly dirt, rock, stones, not mud or snow.

Going a little nuts trying to compare tire buyer v tire rack v discount tire too. Tire buyer gives a 10 percent veteran discount, discount tires is 5 pct, but less install options. Some also give road hazard included while others don't.

E: Pulling the trigger on the toyos. Went to grab a negative terminal cap and ac filter from parts and my jeep dealer had them for $256. That's almost $30 per tire cheaper than all the online dealers even with the discount. About 30 per tire mount which includes a 2 year road hazard warranty.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 11, 2022

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Thanks for the input. I'm a complete amateur to offroading (and Jeep maintenance) and could have sworn the goon hivemind gave me those 3 tires earlier in this thread.

My teen daughter and I joined a local Rockhound group. The next field trip is to Clear Creek BLM area near Sequoia NP. It has natural asbestos, so you can only go 5 times a year. So my needs are for trails in FS and BLM highway legal vehicles.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

https://www.recreation.gov/vehiclepermits/250848

They recommend only going when it's not dry or dusty which...well...it's California. Plus not using outside air for ac and washing clothes afterwards. Already got a new cabin filter for afterward. But it's a great area for rockhounds I guess. Cant be worse than the ship I was on in the navy built in the early 60s. Steam plant with asbestos covered pipes. We'll only be there for a few hours and we'll wash everything down afterwards.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Anyone have a recommendation on a 12v/120v air compressor for tires only in the garage and on road? I don't have any air tools, just for airing up tires. Bonus if there's a built in pressure alarm or cutoff. Thanks!

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Thanks, picked up one today.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2773074&pagenumber=525&perpage=40

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

My jeep dealership is offering 4 tires for the price of 3. I just got Toyo at3's installed in August and they were at least 30 dollars cheaper each than tire rack, discount tire and tire buyer even with my vet discount.

They're an authorized Toyo dealer too for warranty issues and you get a Mopar road hazard warranty.

It says select tires only, so I don't know which brands or specific tires it covers. I'm also assuming it's nationwide as I got it in a Mopar email.

Not saying or endorsing a "stealer ship" (as the boomers say), but if you're shopping for tires, it may be worth a call or email.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Is that a state park or something? I've been looking to expand behind the maple creek truck trail in OC.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Southern California is like a whole different country after all the rain. Everything is green and blooming. Lots of snow on the mountain peaks.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

It's less the length than the width.

Oh how many times have I said that..

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Cvt I assume? How did that do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

My work car is an ascent. I've been driving it for 2 years and still not used to the rubber banding.

I should drive it up Silverado canyon "for science".