Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Rick Grimes posted:

Remind me why I hate Great Skate again.

Rick Grimes posted:

Rbk X-Pulse pads, as that seems to be what they stock exclusively (only in SR models as well, no pro spec anything)

That would explain why I hate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)

trilljester posted:

As a forward who plays a lot like Holmström, I humbly request you drat goalies stop whacking me with your stick when I'm outside the crease. Thank you.

I would leave you alone :) The worst I do is jabs in the back of the wheels to make people stumble. You can't score if you're flailing around trying to keep your balance. And there's no penalty unless they're completely incompetent on skates or take a dive :eng101:

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

crusader donkey posted:

I would leave you alone :) The worst I do is jabs in the back of the wheels to make people stumble. You can't score if you're flailing around trying to keep your balance. And there's no penalty unless they're completely incompetent on skates or take a dive :eng101:

Yeah, actually, most of the goalies in my beer league do this when I get near them. I actually don't setup shop much in front of the goalie unless one of our D men (or ladies) is going to take a shot, or if we *gasp* have a set play going on.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

trilljester posted:

As a forward who plays a lot like Holmström, I humbly request you drat goalies stop whacking me with your stick when I'm outside the crease. Thank you.

I'm going to give you some advice trill. Whenever there is a stoppage of play stand over the goaltender and wait till some knucklehead defenceman gives you a shove, then fall directly on top of the goaltender. You have the benefit of getting back at that padded jerk, and the defenceman will probably take a 2 minute minor for crosschecking you in the back of the head while you're on top of the guy. :)

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

trilljester posted:

I'm a fan of the hard poke to the skates to cause a trip. This way my stick stays on the ice and you may end up blocking a shot for me.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

titanium posted:

I'm a fan of the hard poke to the skates to cause a trip. This way my stick stays on the ice and you may end up blocking a shot for me.

*nods* Yeah, if the goalies did that in my local league, the ref would probably call them on it maybe 50% of the time. It happens a lot, actually. But I respect you guys for protecting your crease.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

trilljester posted:

My good friend who got me actually playing hockey is doing the goalie thing now for our beer league team. He's got all the gear, however the last couple of weeks his LCL on his right knee is acting up. Is that common with you folks?

To be completely honest, I had horrible knee problems when I skated as a forward and defenseman, and I figured that would carry over and be much worse when I started goaltending, but I haven't had one problem in the past two years that was knee related.

I'm also done up to the hilt with compression this and neoprene wrap that, so I think that helps my body hold together for the hours I played.

I did have a really bad groin pull a few months back, but I let that heal and I got a groin neoprene wrap to help keep all that poo poo in place. I haven't had a problem since.

Of course just because I don't feel any pain or have any symptoms doesn't mean I'm not really having any knee problems -- my knees sound like a cement mixer on good days. That predates hockey by far though.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Edit: Whoops double post.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 2, 2008

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

trilljester posted:

My good friend who got me actually playing hockey is doing the goalie thing now for our beer league team. He's got all the gear, however the last couple of weeks his LCL on his right knee is acting up. Is that common with you folks?

No, playing near the crease is dangerous both for skaters and goalies and if you don't want to be shoved around and whacked at with sticks, then you need to play further out. Otherwise you just need to accept it as part of camping out in front of the net.

This actually reminds me of the subject of takedowns. I don't know how many other goalies do this, but I seem to have a high propensity for knocking down skaters in front of the net. A lot of it is unintentional though over time, I've developed a couple moves. The most practical one is to use a paddle down save on a breakaway, which if executed properly will stop the puck and send the player sliding towards the boards.

The other move, which I have only pulled off once happened when I had a skater that had slammed into me a couple of times on breakaways and spent the rest of his time camping out in the crease. The usual methods of pushing him out of the way and knocking at his skates weren't working, so at one point of the game he was in front of me and the action started heading towards the left side of the net, so I shuffled across the net and hooked him with my arm along the way and when I dropped to play the shot, I took him down with me and used his body to block the shot. The action then moved towards the right post, so I pushed off of him and knocked him down again to gain momentum heading towards the other side of the net to make the save. He eventually beat me on a breakaway when my idiot team decided it was a good idea to change all four skaters on the fly, but he has yet to camp out in front of me since them.

Also, does anyone else try to pop right up whenever someone collides with them in the net? I think that I picked that up from Randy Moss back in his Vikings days, because whenever someone would land a big hit on him, he always made a point to jump right back up and act like it didn't bother him at all. I don't know how effective that is in terms of intimidation, but it certainly is one part of the mental game that I try to use to my advatange.

As for LCL soreness, I've had that a little. Nothing too bad, but it was enough that I was aware of it. That's actually another reason why goalies do not want people in front of the crease. Their knees are very exposed when they're in the butterfly and if someone lands on them the right way, then that can lead to a major injury.

Melted
May 8, 2003

check 1-2

Martytoof posted:

I'm also done up to the hilt with compression this and neoprene wrap that, so I think that helps my body hold together for the hours I played.

I've found that neoprene knee stuff actually slows me down considerably for some reason, and I've been using cloth stuff instead.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

T-Bone posted:

I've found that rapid fire and warmup drills actually help to reinforce this bad habit. If your goalie is trying to get in position for the next shot rather than worrying about the initial save he starts waving at high shots and gets casual with his rebound control.

I always try to get coaches away from these kind of drills when I'm helping out at another team's practice. There are better ways to condition your goalie.

p.s: the horseshoe is the most worthless loving drill in existence, both for goalies and players

double p.s: My high school team qualified for states last night and we're on a six game winning streak, I credit a lot of this to my starting goalie's loving amazing rebound control :woop:

Warmup drills are pretty much useless for me, since the shots generally happen fast enough that I can't set for the shot and a lot of times I'll end up playing every other shot, because I can't get set and start reading the shot properly. As for trying to play the next shot, the speed of the game dictates that you need to always be thinking ahead. The best thing you can do on a shot is to control the puck either by catching it, gut trapping it or sending it to the boards. However, sometimes you're screened or know a bang bang play is coming and you just need to try to get yourself to where you think the puck will be.

Also, what is the horseshoe drill? Is that the one where shooters rotate taking breakaways from the left and right boards?

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

trilljester posted:

*nods* Yeah, if the goalies did that in my local league, the ref would probably call them on it maybe 50% of the time. It happens a lot, actually. But I respect you guys for protecting your crease.

Man, most of the time I won't even touch a guy standing in front of me. I'm not big (5'9"), yet very rarely do people know how to screen well so I see pretty much everything. If a play to the net isn't imminent, I'll usually chat them up a bit, asking them how they're doing and stuff. Yeah, I'm pretty much sportsman of the year and also an idiot.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Aniki posted:

Also, does anyone else try to pop right up whenever someone collides with them in the net? I think that I picked that up from Randy Moss back in his Vikings days, because whenever someone would land a big hit on him, he always made a point to jump right back up and act like it didn't bother him at all. I don't know how effective that is in terms of intimidation, but it certainly is one part of the mental game that I try to use to my advatange.

I usually try to stay down to draw a penalty, or get it be a double minor or something by writhing in pain. :)

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I usually try to stay down to draw a penalty, or get it be a double minor or something by writhing in pain. :)

I don't want to use my acting training for evil and besides, I get a good burst of adrenaline after I get hit in the net and I generally play pretty well for a while after that.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Aniki posted:

I don't want to use my acting training for evil and besides, I get a good burst of adrenaline after I get hit in the net and I generally play pretty well for a while after that.

Yeah, I'll give them a tap with my glove or stick as an "it's all good" type of gesture and get myself back into the play quickly. It's just a game and I'm just having fun.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

sba posted:

Not to mention when I was looking for a new mask.

"We just carry the Itech masks. 1400 or NV7. Hackva, what is that? Umm, no I don't think we carry those."

Also, the 1400 masks are going up to $240. Why you ask? Marvel is having them done in Captain America, Wolverine, Spiderman, Iron Man, and Hulk, all available in your favorite Widowmaker.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

*takes a slapshot after a whistle*

I got a good asskicking for that once. I swear I didn't hear it!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rick Grimes posted:

Also, the 1400 masks are going up to $240. Why you ask? Marvel is having them done in Captain America, Wolverine, Spiderman, Iron Man, and Hulk, all available in your favorite Widowmaker.

At least for $240 it'll look nice on someone's head while they're lying in their casket :cool:

Seriously though, this is just plain stupid. Kids will think they paid good money for a safe reliable mask.

ForbiddenWonder posted:

*takes a slapshot after a whistle*

I got a good asskicking for that once. I swear I didn't hear it!

I've been run, I've been headhunted, but the only thing ever to have gotten me to suckerpunch a player on the other team was a blatant post whistle slapshot. I'm not trying to sound badass or anything because I'm not a fighter, but it was so blatant and obvious -- like this was a good five seconds after everyone had stopped skating -- that I went after him as soon as he turned around. He got a blocker to the gut and flopped rear end to ice and I got ejected. Lucky for me there was another goalie waiting that filled in the remainder :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 2, 2008

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
Guy with the LCL problem, a whole lot of ligament issues can be solved by strengthening your hamstrings and stabilizers. Even still, I play in two pretty nice, thin knee braces underneath everything. Small metal supports. Not completely necessary but they give me peace of mind.

My hockey penalty and hitting people career in the past 3 years:
- hacking one of the best roller players in the country during a power play and realizing the ankle i'm hacking is prosthetic. no penalty!
- gut trapping and taking a stick to the gut, getting up, going after the guy and slashing him in the throat
- tearing some poor shmuck's helmet off to blocker punch him in the face after we got tangled up. no penalty!
- some sheepfucker from umaine was making fun of me from the bench so instead of letting it get to me, i got his number and clotheslined him next time he tried to come through my crease on a forecheck. no penalty!
- kid from vermont got me to bite on a deke on a breakaway, so i dove to cover the post with my glove hand and swept my stick hand as high as i could; caught him in on the back, he missed, and that looked like it hurt. no penalty!
- taking a kid's stick out of his hand and tossing it because i was annoyed with his concept of a crease
- 3rd man in
- hextall-chopping some guy because he tried to bat in a puck in the air, missed, and pretty much hit me square in the head
- grabbing some guy's leg after the whistle and dumping him on his face after he ran me. no penalty!

how i have never been suspended in my hockey career is completely and utterly beyond me

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

PenguinManAmato posted:

how i have never been suspended in my hockey career is completely and utterly beyond me
Think I found the real reason there's eighty goalies in SAS.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

PenguinManAmato posted:

PMA's revenge on the world.

Jesus.

Worst I've done is two-hand the back of this poo poo head's legs when he decided to take 5 extra hacks when I already had the puck covered. I was still down on my knees and my defense had moved in to tell him to gently caress off so he wasn't facing me. I stood up and got right in his face and he punched me in the face and got ejected :v:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aniki posted:

As for trying to play the next shot, the speed of the game dictates that you need to always be thinking ahead.

To a point. If I'm not playing in a beer league/roller hockey I tend to go occam's razor style rather than trying to play the 40 foot cross ice pass. Yes you want to be aware of who is on the ice and where they are on the ice, but don't let it gently caress with your initial shot concentration.

edit: On fights, the last real fight I got into playing goal was in high school and I was indeed thrown out for it. Jersey over head + blocker upper cuts = fun stuff.

I've actually gotten into about three fights playing forward in roller in the past couple of years - two of them against a former US U18 kid, who is a real loving prick when he's losing :O

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 2, 2008

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I played last night and worked on watching the puck from the stick to my body and actually focusing on where the rebounds went and it seemed to make a big difference in my performance early on. Though towards the end of the session (there were only two goalies) a combination of fatigue and going up against the better team eventually did me in, but I'm not too concerned about that since open hockey turns into a test of endurance after a while.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

Rick Grimes posted:

Remind me why I hate Great Skate again.

sba posted:

Do you two just buy gear online, or is there another Buffalo-area store I don't know about?

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

JAF07 posted:

Do you two just buy gear online, or is there another Buffalo-area store I don't know about?

I'm buying my R8's at goaliemonkey when I get my bonus this month, there's other stores but no one really carries goalie poo poo. It's all special order for the most part.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Penguin you're a huge rear end in a top hat.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

soggybagel posted:

Yeah no kidding, I'd purposely start wiring slapshots at your head after that stuff.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Hey all you goalies... Don't forget I can get you RBK Practice jerseys in a Goalie Cut, in any of the colors... just takes a while since its a special order. :)

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Krime posted:

Hey all you goalies... Don't forget I can get you RBK Practice jerseys in a Goalie Cut, in any of the colors... just takes a while since its a special order. :)

Is it possible to get a North Stars or Team Sweden practice jersey?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
As a career back up, I'd like to wap this thread on the rear end with my glove hand say "good work," and then brood on the bench.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
One time I covered for my friend's intermediate league when all three goalies came down with something. I never played goalie before and this was the only time in my life. I was loving terrified the entire time, so I got to hand it to anyone who can sit in net calmly. Gave up 3 goals for 14 shots on net, which isn't bad since we won by like 5 goals.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

sba posted:

I'm buying my R8's at goaliemonkey when I get my bonus this month, there's other stores but no one really carries goalie poo poo. It's all special order for the most part.

I tried on a pair R8's and I really like them. I ended up buying Simmons 993's because I really couldn't afford the R8's at the time. While the 993's are great pads I noticed that the R8's thigh rises are a noticeable amount thinner and don't interfere with each other as much. Hopefully later on this year I'll be able to afford a pair. You should PM me after you've used them for a while and let me know what you think of them.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

JAF07 posted:

Actually, the pads are the first thing I was buying online. The rest I got in store. Hackva at Don Simmons, Catch/Block, Stick and C/A at Great Skate.

Though, now I should probably just sell the gift card and order the Supremes. Or it looks like the Itech Reflex 5s are coming in March.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Aniki posted:

Is it possible to get a North Stars or Team Sweden practice jersey?

Those would probably be a do it yourself kinda deals... I could get you the jersey but you'd have to find the logo. The Sweden one would probably be easy...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

deoju posted:

As a career back up, I'd like to wap this thread on the rear end with my glove hand say "good work," and then brood on the bench.

Don't worry, us real goalies still value your input :haw:

Seriously though, getting all geared up and sitting on the bench just seems incredibly cruel :smith:

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Tell me about it, if I were a backup i'd probably off myself three games into the season.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
After college, or any professional aspirations, which I don't think any of us really have here, I don't see any reason why you would be a backup. Most teams/leagues are desperate to find goalies. Have 1 for each team is a rareity, nevermind 2!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
It was when I was on a pretty competetive traveling peewee team that I was the second stringer, and even then I played more than half the games because the No. 1 had another club.

If/when I start up again, I'll have my own team.

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

PenguinManAmato posted:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA JINXED

trip report: refs are fags, so are the fags in suny albany, because they are fags

game 1: 4-3 win over suny binghamton, 24 saves on 27 shots, goalie duel through and through, except i pulled some saves out of my bum. yay.

all star game: let in 3 goals out of 16 or so scored on my team; made sick two pad stack save. crowd cheered when i showed them all the puck in my glove and skated around the boards

game 2: down 2-1 to albany on something like 31 shots, 2 on 1 comes in, guy decides to flatten me in my crease, shot goes into open net, ref signals goal. i am furious, get up, scream stream of expletives at ref while sprinting towards him, forget to stop (ie. i forgot i wasn't on ice), and run into him. 2 min minor + match misconduct + 1 game suspension. gently caress you ref, you're still a fag

game 3: second goalie lets in one softie and is generally untested. gently caress everything.

game 4: we play division rivals suny brockport, i let in one goal on a PP on 26 shots, we score 7 on 28. fuuuuck every last one of you

shot total: something like 84
goal total: 7

with hate,

P
M
A

ps. guys near buffalo, if you ever get a chance to see the UB Wings play, go watch joe malinowski play forward, he has the best hands I've ever seen, it's loving ridiculous

pps. what i really mean by refs are fags is that i am, in fact, retarded and stupid and can't skate; however i still say that getting run prior to a shot in my crease should probably not be a goal

PenguinManAmato fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

crusader donkey posted:

Jesus.

soggybagel posted:

See, here's the key: it's usually calculated. I used to hack and slash a lot more the first year in the league, primarily because I was getting no help from my team and I was a hothead. After a while, I pretty much stopped anything except for the occasional outburst when I felt it would help the team. Having a rep as a guy who is going to hurt you either by stoning you all day (since you're getting no traffic) or by causing pain if you try and generate that traffic or get in close, I buy myself another 3-5" of telescope at all times and that's loving essential. Plus, if you get real hotheads, you get this:

AcCeL posted:

Yeah no kidding, I'd purposely start wiring slapshots at your head after that stuff.
Fine by me palsy, I'm tall and I have one of the best masks in the world. If you're hitting me in the head, you aren't hitting the net, and that means we're probably gaining possession and since roller is a possession game, I will win the game and have the last laugh.

There's a game within every game, you just have to learn how to approach it.

PenguinManAmato fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 4, 2008

• Locked thread