Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Martytoof posted:

Those are pretty snazzy, but is there any point to the knee breaks if your medial roll isn't broken up too?

Just curious cause they still look cool :toot:
It works fine, the bottom of the pad bends more than the top is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Waiting for World of Starcraft
Just curious as i'm looking for pads, but what is the proper way to measure yourself for pads? I came up with 32-34" and I'm 6'3". Is this normal?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's really hard to say. Each manufacturer has a different recommended ankle-to-knee sizing guide. What is your ankle-to-knee, and what pads are you looking at?

There's a pretty big "what is your ATK" thread over on the GSBB, but remember that it's a very personal fit so what works for some dude may not work for you.

I'm 5'10 and PMA's 35+2s are pretty much dead on for me, but I would probably wear a 34 or 33 in some other brands. Pads will also shrink a little over their life, so used pads tend sometimes fit even if they're a little outside of the norm.

PenguinManAmato posted:

It works fine, the bottom of the pad bends more than the top is all.

I guess that works :cool:

nahanahs posted:

Wow, I have no idea what you just asked.

"knee breaks" into google images is.. jesus.

Haha, sorry -- I just meant that your pads have more places to bend in the knee than they do in the outer roll which, as PMA mentioned, will probably just result in the pad bending more in the bottom than the top.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 6, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Quick question. Have any of you played in the old Koho pads? I didn't think you could get them anymore, but apparently Goalie Monkey has the 700 and 700 Pro. I'm not sure what my question is specifically, but I'd love to try them on so maybe, if you have, can compare them to some other pads you wore? I dunno.

I'm also really curious about the RBK 8k. I wasn't all that impressed with the way it looked when I tried it on, but the P2 doesn't really look any better at all inside, cosmetically speaking (at least from pictures). I'm hoping I'm not ruling out a (relatively) good, cheaper pad just because I thought it looked chintzy.

Edit: Also, what the gently caress? Are you serious? I want to see what the big difference between these and the V3 is, that they're almost half the price.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 6, 2008

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!

fenix424 posted:

Just curious as i'm looking for pads, but what is the proper way to measure yourself for pads? I came up with 32-34" and I'm 6'3". Is this normal?

I'm 6' and my pad size is 37" depending on manufacturer.

Measure from your ankle bone on the outside of your leg to the middle of your knee cap. Some manufacturers have you measure from your knee to mid-thigh. There's a thread on the goalie store BB what size pads from different companies fit what size ankle to knee.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Edit: Also, what the gently caress? Are you serious? I want to see what the big difference between these and the V3 is, that they're almost half the price.

Made in china senior quality i'd bet. Vaughn 7400 SR is to V3 as RBK 8K is to PS2.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Martytoof posted:

Haha, sorry -- I just meant that your pads have more places to bend in the knee than they do in the outer roll which, as PMA mentioned, will probably just result in the pad bending more in the bottom than the top.

Yeah, they bend towards the lower part of the knee, rather than the top bending at all. That took a lot of getting used to, but I love it now. Unfortunately, I've caught two shots in the knee when the thigh guard got caught out of position and my leg was in a poor position. A puck right to the bone of the knee is just awful.

Melted
May 8, 2003

check 1-2

Martytoof posted:

Quick question. Have any of you played in the old Koho pads? I didn't think you could get them anymore, but apparently Goalie Monkey has the 700 and 700 Pro. I'm not sure what my question is specifically, but I'd love to try them on so maybe, if you have, can compare them to some other pads you wore? I dunno.

I'm also really curious about the RBK 8k. I wasn't all that impressed with the way it looked when I tried it on, but the P2 doesn't really look any better at all inside, cosmetically speaking (at least from pictures). I'm hoping I'm not ruling out a (relatively) good, cheaper pad just because I thought it looked chintzy.

marty if you're planning on getting rid of those velos of yours i'd like to see if they fit me :) :) :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Melted posted:

marty if you're planning on getting rid of those velos of yours i'd like to see if they fit me :) :) :)

I'm definitely not getting rid of them until I can find a job and a new set of pads, but I'll definitely let you know if they become available. Always good to keep them in the family :cool:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Martytoof posted:

hmmmm....interesting.

custom colors too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

sba posted:

hmmmm....interesting.

custom colors too.

Yeah. I mean, what PMA said about not playing enough to warrant pro pads kind of rings true with me, even though every fiber of me wants the genuine article. I'll have to see if GoalieHeaven gets a pair in that I can look at.

Someone on GSBB had this insight to give: "The difference is the same as between RBK PS2 and RBK 8K" :rolleyes:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 6, 2008

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Yeah. I mean, what PMA said about not playing enough to warrant pro pads kind of rings true with me, even though every fiber of me wants the genuine article. I'll have to see if GoalieHeaven gets a pair in that I can look at.

Someone on GSBB had this insight to give: "The difference is the same as between RBK PS2 and RBK 8K" :rolleyes:

That's what I said a few posts up. :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Internet Victory posted:

That's what I said a few posts up. :smith:

Oops. Now I feel kind of bad for the :rolleyes:

:haw:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Martytoof posted:

It says March, I'm guessing if you ordered custom colors you would'nt get them until end of Summer

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ya, I'll take a scouting trip up to GoalieHeaven next month. Hopefully they have a demo pair around the shop. I know they have V3s I can look at, I've just never bothered making the trek. Kind of a shame since I was around there yesterday. I would have stopped in if I remembered.

If anything I just want to compare the build quality. I mean, half the price isn't something to sneeze at, but then again neither is replacing your pads after three seasons because they're worn through :smith:

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Won tonight 5-4, improving to 4-1 this session. I'm not playing the best, but luckily the offense has been there to help me out.

Schedule so far: W 9-6, L 9-5, W 7-5, W 9-6, W 5-4

Though, I'm not looking forward to playing the Mad Dogs on the 27th. They're 4-0 (don't know the outcome of their game today), with 47 GF and 2 GA.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)

Rick Grimes posted:

Though, I'm not looking forward to playing the Mad Dogs on the 27th. They're 4-0 (don't know the outcome of their game today), with 47 GF and 2 GA.

Just pray they get bumped up a league before then :v:
This happens frequently, teams either get moved up or down based on the first couple games. We were one that got moved down the first year we played.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
code:
#	Name	GP	GA	MIN	GAA	SA	SV	SV%	W	L      SO
29	sba	8	26	478	3.26	298	272	0.913	4	4	1

We play the worst team in the league tonight, so hopefully I can improve my GAA.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

crusader donkey posted:

Just pray they get bumped up a league before then :v:
This happens frequently, teams either get moved up or down based on the first couple games. We were one that got moved down the first year we played.

Not gonna happen. With Epic Center's leagues, once you sign up for the slot, you're in it for the session. They also have a Tuesday night team, also undefeated, but with 31 GF - 10 GA. Basically, they shouldn't have a team in Weds. night period, as they're more than likely going to run away with it.

sba posted:

We play the worst team in the league tonight, so hopefully I can improve my GAA.

Better than mine, I'm rocking a 6.00 GAA. Yet I'm 4-1, go figure.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)

Rick Grimes posted:

Not gonna happen. With Epic Center's leagues, once you sign up for the slot, you're in it for the session. They also have a Tuesday night team, also undefeated, but with 31 GF - 10 GA. Basically, they shouldn't have a team in Weds. night period, as they're more than likely going to run away with it.

Do they have leagues based on skill where you play or do they just throw everyone together? At the place I play, you take a stab what level you are at when you sign your team up (iron, aluminum, gold, platinum). That would be pretty lame if they didn't move teams that either under or overestimated their skill level.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Rick Grimes posted:

Better than mine, I'm rocking a 6.00 GAA. Yet I'm 4-1, go figure.

As you can see, my team is pretty offensively challenged.

JungleMan
Apr 6, 2004

Your scorekeepers count shots :monocle:

I think I have a whopping 2 assists and 4PM through fifteen games this year playing defense. I signed up to be a forward this year and dammit I'm back on defense :(

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

JungleMan posted:

I signed up to be a forward this year and dammit I'm back on defense :(
With the leagues I play in, once someone finds out you can skate backwards pretty well you're stuck back there forever.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

sba posted:

Nice little surprise, they switched game times with the second place team!!

Tied 2-2, one of the goals I let in never crossed the line, but it was counted anyway.

I NEED OVERHEAD REPLAYS!!! :mad:

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

JungleMan posted:

Your scorekeepers count shots :monocle:

I used to keep count in my head.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Have any of you had experience with stress fractures? I have been getting sharp pains in my right foot lately, the pain will last for a few seconds as it slowly dulls and then it is followed by a few seconds to minutes of general soreness. The pain certainly isn't unbearable and it has yet to prevent me from doing anything, but I do notice it if I walk a lot and somewhat if I lift weights, but not too much. I have some mild soreness after playing hockey and I haven't noticed anything while I'm playing, but I tend not to think about pain/soreness during the middle of a game. Is this consistent with what you guys have experienced or does it sound like I'm being paranoid?

I'm leaning towards getting it checked out by a doctor, but I'm trying to figure out if it is something that is urgent or if I just need to keep an eye on it and see if it gets any worse. If the pain were severe, then I'd get it checked out right away, but it is more in the range where I am aware that there may be a problem, but it hasn't prevented me from doing anything yet.

I'd post this in the goon doctor, but since I'm pretty sure this is hockey related, I figured that goalies might be a better resource.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 8, 2008

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

I have no medical training, but I'm pretty sure if you have a fracture in your foot they can't do much with it anyway.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

crashlanding posted:

I have no medical training, but I'm pretty sure if you have a fracture in your foot they can't do much with it anyway.

I know that rest and maybe wearing a boot are about the only things you can do about it. I just obviously don't want to shut myself down if I don't need to. I'm just debating if I want to go to a doctor today or play tonight and go on Monday.

Edit: I'm going to the doctor now.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 8, 2008

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
PMA, received the helmet in the mail yesterday. Either you have a small head, or mine's just big. Going to be doing some adjustments with the straps to get a better fit.

Thanks again.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Heading off to Skate and Shoot, I'll be using the mask to try and get used to the feel. I have it set up strap wise, but it's still real tight in the jaw. Like, squeezing my face, it's probably not big enough for my fat head, but I'll make it work. Here's hoping Tony gets my mask done soon.

Also, back to the pad search. Any good or bad news on the Itech Re-Flex 5s? I know, they're the lower version of the RX9's, but again, for purely roller use. That, or the X-Wing 4.8 or 7.8, as they'll apparently be clearanced out soon.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I don't know anything about the RX5s. I can tell you that I've played against several goalies that use Itech 4.8 and 7.8 X-Wings. Those pads look very nice and they seem a lot better built than my Itech 7.8 Vamps, so they should be a good choice, especially if you can get them for cheap.

That being said are the RX5s supposed to be the equivalent of the 4.8 or 7.8 series? Either should be fine for inline, though if you play any ice at all, then I'd look for whatever the equivalent of the 7.8 series is.

The other option that you have is to take a look at Mission leg pads. Itech owns Mission and their pads should be pretty similar, though I can't remember if the new Mission series is based off of the X-Wing or RX9 series.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Thanks for the input Aniki. I like the 7.8s, and I'm waiting until Monday, when GS will apparently start the clearance.

Figure I'll throw this out there, for you goalies currently playing, post up your league standings as of now.

code:
Team name                        W   L   T Pts  Gf  Ga
------------------------------- -- ---  -- --- --- ---
MAD DOGS                         5   0   0  15  57   4
CAUCASION                        4   0   0  12  22   9
*BOBBY BEERS                     4   1   0  12  35  30
RAMPAGE                          3   1   1  10  27  23
BECK CHIROPRACTIC                2   2   1   7  24  28
SNOWSTORMS                       2   3   0   6  20  24
THE WASHUPS                      1   1   2   5  10  26
SONICS                           1   4   0   3  16  29
BOHICA                           0   5   0   0  13  31
FILLING STATION                  0   5   0   0  16  36
Playing BOHICA tomorrow, so hopefully we'll be up to 5-1 on this session.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
drat, how badly did you guys get murdered in your 1 loss to only have a goal differential of +5?

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

80085 posted:

drat, how badly did you guys get murdered in your 1 loss to only have a goal differential of +5?
Well the first place team is averaging wins of 11.4 to 0.8 so I think that's the problem. How can that be fun for them?

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

80085 posted:

W 9-6, L 9-5, W 7-5, W 9-6, W 5-4, from my earlier post. So, we've lost by 4, and have won by 1, 2, 3 and 3. Like I said, my team has been bailing me out pretty well this session. I honestly think I've been getting worse.

crashlanding posted:

Well the first place team is averaging wins of 11.4 to 0.8 so I think that's the problem. How can that be fun for them?

We get to play them on the 27th. :smithicide: Half of my team seems to already have accepted a loss. But, we played them last session and only lost 9-7. So, nothing's guaranteed.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
OH YES! my gear arrived. Ordered it back on Christmas day.

Battram Fury pads. Battram Nexus gloves. Black/White/Bronze Weave Vaughn Velocity 2 graphics.

Catcher is very awkward compared to what I used to wear. Everything is super stiff...

Scott forgot my boot straps :( but I'm sure he'll straighten that out, I'll just have to take some lovely straps off some lovely pads in the garage in the mean time.

Heres a picture of the leg channel someone requested in the other thread.

And the catcher.

Internet Victory fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 13, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jesus christ, he ghosted the Velos well. Those look beautiful.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
More photos.

Blocker (basically an RBK X-Pulse clone)

(sorry about the black background)

The pads have 3 extra spots for the nylon straps (which are seatbelt nylon, friggin awesome) 2 extra near the knee and one at the top of the pad where the thighboard straps to. I'll be removing the thighboards.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That is so incredibly badass. Did you ask for a squared off thigh? I can't tell from the pictures whether it's really square or not. Mine has an annoying taper that doesn't close the five hole well.

Seriously though, after seeing your photos I think I should be going Battram instead of buying a new set of Vaughns. Especially at the price he wants. The only difference I can see is that the knee rolls don't go all the way to the knee lift like on my Velos, but they may not on the V2s that he ghosted either, so who knows. I wonder if he would consider doing a single knee stack instead of three individual lifts.

Is his logo heat sealed on or what, cause I would be taking a razor to a few of those real quick though :colbert:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

Martytoof posted:

That is so incredibly badass. Did you ask for a squared off thigh? I can't tell from the pictures whether it's really square or not. Mine has an annoying taper that doesn't close the five hole well.

Seriously though, after seeing your photos I think I should be going Battram instead of buying a new set of Vaughns. Especially at the price he wants. The only difference I can see is that the knee rolls don't go all the way to the knee lift like on my Velos, but they may not on the V2s that he ghosted either, so who knows. I wonder if he would consider doing a single knee stack instead of three individual lifts.

Is his logo heat sealed on or what, cause I would be taking a razor to a few of those real quick though :colbert:

The thigh is squared, but I didnt ask for it thats just how the Furies come. Knee rolls were custom order, the Furies come flat faced but it didn't cost any extra for the knee rolls. And all the logos seem to be heat transfers except on the outer gusset of the pads and the thumb of the glove. I don't know how easily they come off though.

And yeah this whole set basically cost just as much if not less than a set of Velos pads through vaughn.

• Locked thread