Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The logos are likely the same ones that were heat-sealed on my gloves. They came off after an afternoon of scrubbing and peeling. I have nothing against Scott getting his brand out there, but (sorry Scott) his logo is incredibly ugly and the fact that he plastered it all over his stuff just made me want to pull it off ASAP.

You're going to LOVE that catcher once its broken in. It's so comfortable, christ.

Edit: Oh haha this is awesome, I just found my gloves on Battram's site:

Man they used to be so clean :(

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!

Martytoof posted:

The logos are likely the same ones that were heat-sealed on my gloves. They came off after an afternoon of scrubbing and peeling. I have nothing against Scott getting his brand out there, but (sorry Scott) his logo is incredibly ugly and the fact that he plastered it all over his stuff just made me want to pull it off ASAP.

I might try to remove the logos on the calf wings and the black BATTRAM on the side of the blocker. I dont know if removing black logos on a white surface will leave residue though so I dont know if I want to try it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Internet Victory posted:

I might try to remove the logos on the calf wings and the black BATTRAM on the side of the blocker. I dont know if removing black logos on a white surface will leave residue though so I dont know if I want to try it.

I removed the logos on the glove shown above, and while the sticker itself didn't leave any residue (it flaked off cleanly), the glove was already dirty so when I pulled the logos off you could (very) visibly see where the dirty white leather contrasted with the clean white leather that was under the logos.

You can't really tell anymore since I've used them enough to make up the difference in grime, so I'm pretty happy with how it looks :haw:

Honestly if they don't bother you, I wouldn't bother removing them. It was a personal decision. I would prefer all my gear to be un-branded if I could get it that way, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Are the logos on the outside gusset just sewn into place?

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I removed the logos on the glove shown above, and while the sticker itself didn't leave any residue (it flaked off cleanly), the glove was already dirty so when I pulled the logos off you could (very) visibly see where the dirty white leather contrasted with the clean white leather that was under the logos.

You can't really tell anymore since I've used them enough to make up the difference in grime, so I'm pretty happy with how it looks :haw:

Honestly if they don't bother you, I wouldn't bother removing them. It was a personal decision. I would prefer all my gear to be un-branded if I could get it that way, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Are the logos on the outside gusset just sewn into place?

Yeah they're sewn on. His website says for an extra charge you can get no logos but I don't know how much it is. Probably a lot.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Won 10-2 last night, improving to 5-1. GAA down to 5.33, heh. Get to play one of the two undefeated teams next week. Though, it's the lesser of two evils, as Caucasion actually seems beatable.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
The logos on the front of my Battrams is already coming off just through regular wear and tear, so it shouldn't be to hard to remove it.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
Action pix from today.

What do you think?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Internet Victory posted:

What do you think?

Is that an ECHL gamer? How'd you get a hold of that?

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is that an ECHL gamer? How'd you get a hold of that?

Ebay. It's a Vincent Zaore game used Johnstown Chiefs jersey. I got outbid on both goalie jerseys and his was the cheapest.

I was at a game of theirs and afterwards they were auctioning off their jerseys but I didn't have any money then so I kept checking ebay in case somebody who got one wanted to get rid of it, then this one showed up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The kit looks fantastic. How does it feel on ice?

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

Martytoof posted:

The kit looks fantastic. How does it feel on ice?

Hard to get used to having 4 knee stacks on each knee. Also the gloves are going to take a while to get used to. So stiff! I like everything though.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Anyone have any thoughts on the RBK 8K pads? I have the 6k's right now and am only considering the 8k's because I can get a great deal on them. Good things? Bad things?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not to derail your question, but how are your 6ks holding up? I hear a lot about premature wear and tear.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

Not to derail your question, but how are your 6ks holding up? I hear a lot about premature wear and tear.

Not so well, really. I had to replace two straps within one month of buying them. They just seem a little cheap. I guess you get what you pay for.

*edit* I've also noticed that not many folks here use Brian's pads. Any particular reason? Are they just too expensive for what you get or what?

Joey Walnuts fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 16, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think T-Bone uses a set of Brian's. They're not very mainstream and I don't think there's enough out there to distinguish them from a "safe bet" like RBKs or Vaughns. Same reason you don't see many Eagles either, I think.

Edit: Oh and I haven't seen a pair I liked yet, aesthetically :smith:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I wouldn't recommend them for a pure butterfly goalie (the beasts that is).

They're probably the lightest/most mobile pads I've ever worn though, and I've been pretty pleased with their durability, outside of some knee strap issues.

I'm going to be in the market for a new pair, especially if I play some ACHA next year at school.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 16, 2008

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
Those pads are pretty awesome, Internet Victory!

Technical question: I've been having a really hard time tracking curving pucks or pucks that knuckle. It's cost me a great deal. Any ideas for improving on those shots?

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)

PenguinManAmato posted:

Those pads are pretty awesome, Internet Victory!

Technical question: I've been having a really hard time tracking curving pucks or pucks that knuckle. It's cost me a great deal. Any ideas for improving on those shots?

Actually, I've had one of my friends who was a baseball pitcher throw pucks at me before just to goof around when everyone else I was playing with was taking a break. He was throwing curves and stuff and it were insanely hard to stop. I thought nothing of it at the time, but thinking back on that, it would be great practice for the stuff you're describing. Just make a friend who pitched baseball :)

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Just got pictures back of my mask when I got home from work. Tony finished it up, and will be shipping it out tomorrow morning. Hopefully, I'll have it on Friday. If not, Monday then.

To preface, I'm a huge Resident Evil fan. And, I've always like the whole Umbrella schtick. So I went with an Umbrella theme.

So yeah, once I get that, PMA's mask is getting sent on.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
That nearly takes the cake for nerdiest mask ever. Nice paint job though!!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Rick Grimes posted:

Just got pictures back of my mask when I got home from work. Tony finished it up, and will be shipping it out tomorrow morning. Hopefully, I'll have it on Friday. If not, Monday then.

To preface, I'm a huge Resident Evil fan. And, I've always like the whole Umbrella schtick. So I went with an Umbrella theme.

So yeah, once I get that, PMA's mask is getting sent on.

I love this mask. Good work.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Goalie Heaven just replied back that they should have a pair of V3 7400 Sr. pads to show off by the end of the month. I can't wait to see the build quality and compare them to actual V3 pads.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Martytoof posted:

Goalie Heaven just replied back that they should have a pair of V3 7400 Sr. pads to show off by the end of the month. I can't wait to see the build quality and compare them to actual V3 pads.

Could you send those pics on? I'm hoping to play some semipro next year so I need to change some equipment :sigh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tim Thomas posted:

Could you send those pics on? I'm hoping to play some semipro next year so I need to change some equipment :sigh:

Yeah, I'll be sure to post them here. I'm going to try to get out there either late Feb or early March.

BabyArm
Mar 29, 2005

Like I give a crap!
What's everyone's pre-game stretch routine consist of? Seems like no matter how much I try to stretch and relax my back, it feels like I've been stabbed with an ice pick in the lower back when I finish the game.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
A few action pictures:

This is my "waiting on pushing and shoving" position:

Not the best quality, but it shows my size relative to the net.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are you 8' tall? :monocle:

I don't think I do any stretching of my back, really. Most of my stretches are leg and groin related. I don't know the technical names so I can't really go into detail. I do a sort of modified seal stretch on ice though just to get my upper half used to bending.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Martytoof posted:

Are you 8' tall? :monocle:

6'3" off skates, so put three inches of chassis/wheel below me and I'm pretty up there.
Here's an example of what a shooter sees most of the time. Notice how I'm not even at the top of the crease.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
It must be really nice to have that kind of size in the net. I'm actually trying to convince my brother to play goalie, since he's 6'5 with a huge frame and could easily get away with playing an Allaire style in the net.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here is some more info on the 7400s from a GoalieMonkey.com guy:

quote:

They are made oversea's. What can be confusing is the pad, blocker & glove are made oversea's, but the chest is made domestically. I think it will be a very popular being that it is in the same price range as the 8K and 7.8 series. Should be an interesting year with this and the Bauer One75 line. Aslo, we will be having a 6k and 8k Turco Break series.

The 8600 is not the same quality as the 7400. The 7400 = 8k in general quality and the 8600 = 6k in general quality. This is very general because the way Vaughn makes their pads and RbK makes theirs is very different.

Thanks, Mike

I'm a little leery of the Sr. lines for durability, but I mean I play once or twice a week max -- hopefully they wouldn't wear out TOO quickly. I'd say that if I can find a pair of 7400s for around $700 and get maybe three years of intermittent use out of them I would be pretty happy.

If they can custom these up, I'm probably going to spring for this:

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Curious, has anyone had to pay to play on their team? This next season, they want me to pay at least half of the amount. Something I have never had to do before. It's not that big of a deal, but I guess I was just perplexed.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Joey Walnuts posted:

Curious, has anyone had to pay to play on their team? This next season, they want me to pay at least half of the amount. Something I have never had to do before. It's not that big of a deal, but I guess I was just perplexed.

In beer leagues? Up north - rarely, down south - usually.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Joey Walnuts posted:

I always paid 50% of what a player would. Shinny and practice time was always free though.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Goalies that have to pay for your leagues: I feel bad for you. While I understand that ice time is expensive, the average goalie's equipment is somewhere between 5 and 10 times the amount of money a player has to pay for his equipment. Maybe I'm entitled or something, who knows; all I know is if you're in a place where you have to pay to play, you should spend money on this instead:

I kid, but seriously, the places where you have to play tend to be below the Mason-Dixon, while places you don't tend to be the Northeast/Minnesota/Canada. We've got plenty of ice and roller up here, c'mon up and join us!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tim Thomas posted:

all I know is if you're in a place where you have to pay to play, you should spend money on this instead:

I'm waaaaaaaay ahead of you :haw:

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Every roller league I've played in I have to pay. Part of the reason why I'm not desperate to play.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Every roller league I've played in I have to pay. Part of the reason why I'm not desperate to play.
I think it really depends on the total number of rinks around. In Boston, even though there were only 4 (now 3) roller rinks when I played there, teams didn't charge goalies; I'm pretty sure this is because within an hour of Boston, there's 50-odd sheets of ice, and ice teams don't make goalies pay.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Tim Thomas posted:

I think it really depends on the total number of rinks around. In Boston, even though there were only 4 (now 3) roller rinks when I played there, teams didn't charge goalies; I'm pretty sure this is because within an hour of Boston, there's 50-odd sheets of ice, and ice teams don't make goalies pay.

This is only the redeeming aspect of Knoxville

quote:

Large Indoor Sports Surface

Our large indoor surface is an impressive 180x80 surface fully surrounded by a typical hockey style board and glass system with bench areas, penalty boxes, and a scorer's table.

The surface's base is covered in state of the art Ice Court that is made specifically for Inline Hockey.

ITS TOO BAD THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A loving LEAGUE.

(tournament next month though!)

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 26, 2008

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

T-Bone posted:

This is only the redeemable aspect of Knoxville

ITS TOO BAD THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A loving LEAGUE.

(tournament next month though!)

I really hope I come up with some product idea that allows me to retire at 30 with enough to live off the interest AND build my own really, really nice inline facility and just run that until I die at age 42

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GP035
Feb 15, 2005

It's Clutch Time!

Tim Thomas posted:

Where are the dedicated inline rinks in Boston? Are they sport court, or just melted down in the summer?

I've only heard of a few sport court complexes near the 495 ring.

• Locked thread