Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

T-Bone posted:

a lot of goalies (including yours truly) would wear soccer goalie arm pads underneath them. Man goalie equipment used to suck.

This is the loving bee's knees of advice right here. I will have to hit up SportCheck or something to see what they have.

I've only been hit there twice, but jesus gently caress never again.

So on the topic of safety, does anyone have any good ideas at minimizing the clanging of a dangler? I guess you get used to it after a while, but right now it's driving me up the loving wall. I decided to put it back on after a hit to the mask today in shinny, but it's all CLANG CLANG CLANG I'M ON YOUR MASK CLANG CLANG CLANG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It looks like most of you don't wear the hanging neck-guard from your helmet, is that because it's uncomfortable/awkward, or just that you don't think neck-related stuff is enough of a risk to warrant it?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pleads posted:

It looks like most of you don't wear the hanging neck-guard from your helmet, is that because it's uncomfortable/awkward, or just that you don't think neck-related stuff is enough of a risk to warrant it?

Well, when I was playing with the beer leaguers in Tampa, I was playing with guys who could barely lift the puck off the ice once in ten tries, so I didn't really feel TOO exposed (yeah, it sounds stupid when I read it too, ok <:mad:> )

I'm putting it back on for next week.

I don't think I could ever get used to wearing an actual neck guard though. Every time I put one on it's constricted and feels like it's slowing my head movements because it's torquing my skin or something else stupid like that.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Pleads posted:

I wore one until it got shattered by a slapshot during warmups. It never bothered me, if anything it made me feel more confident.

I don't like playing without one, in the past two games I've played I've trapped a puck between my neck and mask and its not a good feeling.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Z-Bo posted:

Do any rollerblade hockey goons own the Tour Redline 5000 Goalie Inline Skates? I am thinking about buying them. $180 isn't too bad.

I actually managed to find them on sale (!) locally at Zwickers in Boston. I have used them for one season (30 games, 30 practices) and they have held up ok for what is essentially a throwaway skate. The boot is a little less stiff than I really would like, it comes up an eyelet too far versus traditional goalie skates, some of the inner padding is already ripping, and the plastic cowling is a joke compared to the one the Bauer skates come with, but in general they're pretty comfortable once you put a set of SuperFeet insoles into them, and they are certainly better than the Bauer XV lite or the old Supreme 1000RHs. The wheels it comes with are crap too, but if you play outdoors a lot they'll be just fine. Because the cowling is so flimsy, I'd recommend you put a little duct tape over the contact portions and replace that every few uses instead of wear through the skate. Make sure you let them dry out after usage because otherwise the inner padding will degrade.

Martytoof posted:

This is the loving bee's knees of advice right here. I will have to hit up SportCheck or something to see what they have.

I've only been hit there twice, but jesus gently caress never again.

So on the topic of safety, does anyone have any good ideas at minimizing the clanging of a dangler? I guess you get used to it after a while, but right now it's driving me up the loving wall. I decided to put it back on after a hit to the mask today in shinny, but it's all CLANG CLANG CLANG I'M ON YOUR MASK CLANG CLANG CLANG
I wear a collar instead since I'm not that worried about getting a puck there and I'm more worried about a blade. If my trachea collapses, I get what I deserved. That said, if you are annoyed about the clanging, one thing I used to do before I purchased my collar was to put car door trim (http://www.trim-gard.com/) on the outside edge of the mask since it dampens a lot of the clanging. It also helps prevent your mask paint from chipping! Something else you might want to try is putting thin rubber washers or grommets on your cage and snap screws, as I find it gives a little bit of elasticity to dampen the clang. Can't hurt.

Tim Thomas fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 8, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Joey Walnuts posted:

Got to try out my new 8K's tonight. I absolutely love them.

I don't know how I missed this post. Is the pad construction visibly better/different? If I asked you to take a photo of the major differences, would there be anything to show off, really, or would it just be a "same pad, better stitching maybe, better materials" type of thing?

Tim Thomas posted:

car door trim (http://www.trim-gard.com/)

Good idea. Anything to dampen that infernal clanging.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Pleads posted:

I use one since I was like 15, I've tuned the sound out too. You really don't even notice it's there after awhile.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I'm currently wearing 32" pads, and tried on 34's yesterday.

I really need 34" pads now.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

T-Bone posted:

I wore one until it got shattered by a slapshot during warmups. It never bothered me, if anything it made me feel more confident.

I don't like playing without one, in the past two games I've played I've trapped a puck between my neck and mask and its not a good feeling.

I would have thought that having it SHATTERED BY A SLAPSHOT would make you run out and replace it right away... I mean, if it hadn't been there, something more important probably would have been shattered.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

SubCrid TC posted:

I would have thought that having it SHATTERED BY A SLAPSHOT would make you run out and replace it right away... I mean, if it hadn't been there, something more important probably would have been shattered.

Well, I was in a stand up position shrugging off a high shot so it really wasn't coming at my neck, but more at my shoulder/collarbone.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

I don't know how I missed this post. Is the pad construction visibly better/different? If I asked you to take a photo of the major differences, would there be anything to show off, really, or would it just be a "same pad, better stitching maybe, better materials" type of thing?

You can certainly tell if you look at it up close. Better stitching, better thicker padding. Also, the design on the front is stitched on as opposed to just painted on. I'm not sure what they're called exactly, but the calf-guards cover a much bigger area as well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh man, the 6k is just painted on? :psyduck:

Cantelope
May 3, 2006

Huzzah!
Question that's been nagging on since I saw this thread and it immediately recalled Cloutier beating on Salo...how do goalie vs. goalie fights usually get started? Do you skate all the way to the other side of the ice if the goalie pulls some poo poo on one of your guys screening him? Do you watch the other players fighting, look at each other, and just shrug "why the hell not" and go at it?

Speaking of Cloutier (and with the memories of the Ty Conklin of old still fresh in my mind) are there any professional goaltenders that a camp or position coach would tell you "yeah, you know that guy, whatever you do don't emulate his style"? Do you think some particularly unpopular professionals get unfairly shafted due to a poor defensive unit/unluckiness?

One more question...how much is success based on natural skill/quick reflexes vs. flawless technicality and positioning? Is it possible to be so naturally adept as to never need to learn the technical aspects?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I doubt that many goalie coaches would want you to mimic Tim Thomas. His style has worked for him, but I don't think people should go out and replicate it.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Goalies in the NHL are generally one of the top 100 goalies in the world; as such I've never heard a coach at any camp I've attended say specifically not to mimic a particular goalie. Even guys like Thomas or Hasek have facets of their gameplay that are effective or a good lesson for all goalies to at least consider before eschewing. For example, Hasek has a tendency to bait heavily, increasing the likelihood that he knows where the shot is going (Brodeur does this a lot too, I find), while Thomas has some very interesting post-to-post desperation moves which may or may not be more effective than a butterfly slide in certain situations. It can't hurt to learn how to do things differently, and by evaluating the mechanic in a controlled session, you may find that you prefer a heterodox method of making a save. I'm pretty sure even us beer and club league hacks have our own little quirks which we've learned work for us.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Just played goalie for the first time tonight.. roller hockey. It was so much fun.. and I honestly didn't think it was going to be that much work.. but jesus christ.. I think you can add another goalie to SAS.. :)

God drat gear is expensive..

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
What about street hockey goalie equipment?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
What about it?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Polish posted:

Just played goalie for the first time tonight.. roller hockey. It was so much fun.. and I honestly didn't think it was going to be that much work.. but jesus christ.. I think you can add another goalie to SAS.. :)

God drat gear is expensive..

loving awesome. Definitely go look for some secondhand gear. Don't buy new stuff until you know what you like. I mean, yeah, even then it's pretty expensive :(

Suspicious posted:

What about street hockey goalie equipment?

Yeah, not if you want to live to play two consecutive games :haw:

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Ah hell, lost 4-1 tonight with 40 shots on goal. I guess that's...something. My team had 11 shots on goal. Cripes.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Aniki posted:

I doubt that many goalie coaches would want you to mimic Tim Thomas. His style has worked for him, but I don't think people should go out and replicate it.

This was actually the first person I thought of too. But like PMA said, they must be doing something right to be where they're at.

sba posted:

I'm currently wearing 32" pads, and tried on 34's yesterday.

I really need 34" pads now.

Shortly after I bought the pads I was using, I felt like I should've bought 34" pads. I measured for 32, but I just felt like the extra 2 inches would help. Now I'm not playing nearly enough since there's no roller rinks in the area that aren't stupid expensive (even for goalies) to justify getting new (used) pads.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Joey Walnuts posted:

Ah hell, lost 4-1 tonight with 40 shots on goal. I guess that's...something. My team had 11 shots on goal. Cripes.

Sounds like all my teams lately.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
So long as the knee fits correctly, you can get a significant number of the advantages of a 34" or 32+2" pad without buying a new set! You do, however, need to have a little skill with an upholsterer's needle.

What I did on my older Bauers a while ago was take a set of 11" wide thigh boards and instead of mounting them in the usual position, I stitched them to the backside of the pad at the edges, effectively making it into an extended thigh rise. It worked pretty well, and the cost to me was about $10 for needle, used boards, and a ton of waxed thread.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
I have a quick question in regards to roller hockey. I've ice hockey as a goalie for about 8 years but haven't played roller since I was like 11 dicking around on the street. I recently went off to college and as far as I can tell the closest ice rink is ~45 minutes away, so that kind of fucks me in regards to playing ice hockey. That said, there's a roller rink on campus, so I've been considering picking that up.

What I want to know is will playing goalie in roller with my ice pads (specifically my Velocity leg pads) tear them up or will it not matter? It's a sport court type thing so it's not like I'd be playing on gravel. Also, what are some of the differences playing goalie in roller compared to ice? I'm going to go ahead and say you can't butterfly slide, but what about stuff like shuffling and other things like that?

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
The pads will be fine on the floor. Paging PMA to the thread to discuss differences, I can't help you there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Floor might actually be easier on the pads than the rough and jagged ice. That aside, definitely take a look at PMA's slide pads mod.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Martytoof posted:

So during the past two weeks, I learned that I should be in some sort of remedial breakaway training.

I just saw this now thanks to spring break and whatnot.
Breakaway rule #1: whoever makes the first move loses. That's actually the only rule.
What it really comes down to is figuring out how fast to back up. You really shouldn't reach the goal line yourself until the shooter is almost in your crease. For example, I'm still easily at the top of the crease when the shooter is at the hash marks. This is when the golden rule applies. If you move first or buy a deke you're pretty screwed. Otherwise, just follow the shooter and get your rear end to the puck. Of course it's easier said than done.

Just watch Richter on the Bure penalty shot from the 94 finals. loving textbook. Although JD was right when he said he was out a bit far, he gets to that post like crazy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulUFtK2xLnY

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Deer_fire posted:

What I want to know is will playing goalie in roller with my ice pads (specifically my Velocity leg pads) tear them up or will it not matter? It's a sport court type thing so it's not like I'd be playing on gravel. Also, what are some of the differences playing goalie in roller compared to ice? I'm going to go ahead and say you can't butterfly slide, but what about stuff like shuffling and other things like that?

I use ice pads for roller with no mods and they hold up fine. Both rinks I play in are sportcourt, and my pads slide surprisingly well. The hardest time I have sliding is when we get together to play pickup in a gym up the street, the floor there is actually more difficult to slide on.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
It's one day after my first time playing goalie and I already ordered pants.. I am going to a local pro shop tommorow to see what sizes I need for everything but I need some recomendations.

I've been looking at iTech masks and they seem to be a reasonable price.. but are they comfortable/protect well? My mask price range is $200-250(new). What kind of masks does everyone wear?

btw I play roller.

Whaddya think about this junker?
http://www.goaliemonkey.com/itech-goalie-masks-gm1400cubicsteeld.html

Polish fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 12, 2008

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Polish posted:

It's one day after my first time playing goalie and I already ordered pants.. I am going to a local pro shop tommorow to see what sizes I need for everything but I need some recomendations.

I've been looking at iTech masks and they seem to be a reasonable price.. but are they comfortable/protect well? My mask price range is $200-250(new). What kind of masks does everyone wear?

btw I play roller.

I use an Eddy:

http://www.eddymasks.com/

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Please tell me you wear the hat..

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Polish posted:

Please tell me you wear the hat..

I did on X-Mas eve morning when I played.

That was the only I pic I had of the mask with the cat-eye on it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

1400 is the "Windowmaker" so to speak. I've held one, put one one, and it felt a little flimsy. I'd probably go with an Itech 2500 at least.

Right now I wear an NXi Phantom which is loving awesome. Before then I wore two other Eddy GTs that I fixed up and painted myself:

Edit: What size mask do you wear anyway? Both of my Eddys are sitting around collecting dust. If you don't mind replacing the foam on the inside (or living with my DIY foam), I'll let you have one for a song. They'll no doubt be better than a plastic Itech.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 12, 2008

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
sup fuckers

Deer_fire posted:

i used to use unmodified Velos on sport court my first year in my college league, they work just fine and the wear rate is less than ice since they aren't getting soaked. issues i had with them were that you can't slide for poo poo once the leather hits the sport flooring. martytoof's recommendation of my mods to my current pads is a good idea, there's a mirror here: http://www.goalieboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5008&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

issues you're gonna have: assuming you have skates with wheels that aren't complete poo poo, you can't really shuffle. you have to physically pick the lead foot up a tiny fraction and step over. there's a lot more t-pushing in roller because of this. there's no backside recoveries in roller, so rebound control and shot reading is crucial. you can do butterfly slides in roller but you actually slide on the cowling of the skate, not the inner surface of the pad. it's different enough to require some work to learn.

suggestion: use all your normal gear, buy a pair of tour redlines, and see if you like it; if you do, immediately take the terrible lovely-rear end wheels (oddly enough, they're the best wheels a stock goalie skate comes with nowadays, go figure), throw them the gently caress away, and purchase a set of rink rat crossbars. if you purchase a set of floating spacers as well as another set of bearings that aren't complete poo poo, you'll be extra happy with yourself.

polish, i'm trying this new thing where i don't act like a complete rear end in a top hat to people so i'll politely recommend that you strongly reconsider purchasing that mask. if you're starting out from zero gear and spending more on any single piece of gear than on your mask, then you need to seriously rethink your acquisition process.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Out of curiosity, PMA, have you been hurt from a lovely helmet or something because you're pretty animate about the topic.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Martytoof posted:

I'll let you have one for a song.

Well.. how about dueling banjos on a guitar?

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
When I first started out I was wearing a $125 Olie 9900 mask. I bought it because it was a mask and I didn't want to spend a lot of money and it looked perfectly capable of being a good mask. After all, it had certification stickers!

I had been wearing it for about 3 months playing in the PE hockey class at school when I was racing to a puck to clear it away from a forward who was racing for it and when we both lunged at the puck, the guy put his elbow up and proceeded to basically elbow and drive my head straight to the ice. The mask itself flexed and bent so my basically my head took the full brunt of the collision and the hitting the ice. I went out cold and had a very bad grade 2 concussion. I wasn't allowed to play for another 2 months, I did very poorly that semester because I couldn't remember things or concentrate, and I've since received another grade 2 concussion and three grade 1 concussions over the past three years from pretty innocuous events (although with a Vaughn VM5500 mask for all 4). Had I been wearing a decent, suitable helmet from the beginning it's very likely I wouldn't have had anywhere near the concussion problems I've had stemming from the initial event. It's not like doing that was cost efficient, as I now wear a mask that is over-padded and over-strengthened so that I can keep playing without needing to worry every time I step on the rink that the next impact will be the last time I play hockey, and it wasn't cheap.

I received this concussion wearing a $125 mask while wearing $500 Velocities. This was, as they say, really loving stupid. Nobody should make the same mistake I did.

This isn't to say that everyone should go out and wear some $1000 piece. That said, there are plenty of very good masks sitting at around the $300 range, and unlike, say, your legs, a puck or a collision isn't going to turn you into a vegetable. Same reason I feel strongly about everyone wearing collars to protect principally against slashes and skates and also against blunt trauma. The one piece of equipment in your bag that should at least be collegiate or junior level regardless of the talent level you play at is your mask. There are a ton of very good choices in the $275 to $350 area, each one catering to a slightly different head shape and chin drop. Try some on. See which ones fit you well.

I know a lot of you write me off as some know-it-all rear end in a top hat and you're probably all right, so as a rule I don't care whether you take my advice or not. This is the exception. Please, please, PLEASE don't make the same loving stupid mistake I did.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

PenguinManAmato posted:

protect your noggin'

:patriot: I am a huge cheap-skate, but I will remember this when I begin piecing together my goalie kit. I guess that means the $120 helmets at Sport Swap probably won't be good enough.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Yeah, I agree with PMA. Even though I never had near his problems, I like being smart. :) My entire gear besides my helmet isn't even $1000, but my helmet was like $275-$325 or so. It's way more than I need for roller, but its well worth it, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

When I was twelve I got banged up from a cheap mask (and some hotshot Canadian fourteen year old that was six two :argh: ). Medical bills and a loss of a job meant I was done playing hockey until I played a few pickup games when I was sixteen, and twice since then. I could have been the second Dallas resident NHL Goalie prospect!

Get a good mask, you can always afford your health, and to keep playing!

• Locked thread